By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling Machine Trammel
13/11/2014 22:39:06

Can I ask why these tools are made so short? Surely it would be more accurate if the horizontal bar was at least 10 - 12 inches long? The head on my mill only tilts L/R so if I was to make one of these that's what I'd do.

13/11/2014 12:09:16
Posted by Eric Cox on 13/11/2014 09:47:02:

Why not use a single clock, rotate the trammel 180 degrees and see if you get the same reading in both positions.

That's what I use. It probably takes longer but should be more accurate as you're measuring over a much larger distance.

Thread: CovMac Lathes
12/11/2014 21:47:23

For rust removal try:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

I just use a small battery charger. The process works very well and won't remove metal unlike acids etc.

Thread: hello, first lathe-when to buy.
11/11/2014 20:21:40

Boxfords are nice, especially the later versions. The only potential problem is that they are a small workshop machine so may have been worked hard. Check the machine for excessive wear before parting with any money.

Thread: Titanium supplier - short lengths.
10/11/2014 15:33:14

I've bought a few bits on eBay, both commercially pure and 6/4.

Thread: BA, ME, Metric Coarse or Imperial : which taps and dies to buy ?
09/11/2014 21:44:09

I bought some serial taps but can't say I was very impressed. Is there a knack to using them that I'm missing? I use recommended tapping drill sizes and temaxol cutting compound.

Thread: The Build of my Workshop
09/11/2014 21:22:19

Nice write up of your build. I recently bought a cabin about the same size. I agonised for some time about what type of guttering for mine and settled on the Floplast Mini Gutter at B & Q in Grey. The smaller size looks very neat and has easily handled a few downpours to date. I just fitted an automatic rainwater diverter for the water butt. I've had several garage workshops and have to say I would never settle for a concrete floor again. It's really hard on your feet in the cold weather and anything you put on the floor to improve things seems to attract swarf or make cleanup a chore. The floor of my cabin was finished boards on top of bearers but I've covered this with sheets of ply and then applied several coats of floor paint. It's bright, foot friendly and very easy to sweep clean.

Thread: Safety Glasses
09/11/2014 21:03:53
Posted by martin perman on 09/11/2014 17:26:57:

Peter,

For work a few years ago I bought prescription safety glasses from my optician.

Martin P

Me too, bi focals.

Thread: Wimberley lathe tool holder
09/11/2014 09:43:06

It is indeed reminiscent of the old Armstrong holders but once again the angles used are different. Probably of little interest to production turning but once again it could be of use in the hobbyists arsenal of turning tools, particularly those that don't use insert tooling.

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
08/11/2014 21:07:01

Lots of good links about them on the second page of this post:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22458

08/11/2014 20:45:23

This may be of help.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=85172&p=1

08/11/2014 20:42:13

I'm using plain old HSS in my Tangential holder and it's been fine for most things. The hard skin on Cast Iron bar was an exception though! I've got some solid carbide rod I could use in one of my holders for hard stuff but it's difficult to sharpen even on a green grit wheel.

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
08/11/2014 20:05:09

I've made several. They're good for basic turning and facing, easy to sharpen and HSS for them is inexpensive.

Easy to make as well, both angles are 12°.

08/11/2014 10:49:19

Manual here if it helps:

http://www.wimberley-tools.com/user-manual-110309.pdf

08/11/2014 10:38:51

The Wimberley presents the toolbit at a completely different angle and requires several faces to be ground on the toolbit.

Tangential tools only require one face to be ground.

The Wimberley looks easy enough to make though.

http://www.wimberley-tools.com

Thread: Humbrol Paint
07/11/2014 19:24:34

Can I hijack this thread a minute and ask what you can add to Gloss paint to give it a Satin finish instead?

07/11/2014 18:20:50
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 07/11/2014 16:32:25:

Isn't there a law against using anything other than Humbrol 3 Brunswick Green and 21 Gloss Black for Stuart engines?

Neil

Oh yes.

^^^ Kevin^^^ is in real trouble now! smiley

Thread: metal lathe
07/11/2014 17:42:16

^^^^^^ What Howard said. Best advice on this thread so far.

I would like to add that if it wasn't for the influx of affordable Chinese machine tools many forums like this wouldn't exist.

Thread: TIG WELDING BOILER
30/09/2014 10:40:18
Posted by fizzy on 30/09/2014 00:21:27:

Carl - vic...sorry but you clearly have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about! I offered help and advice, nothing more, and it is very valid advice. You don't believe me, then try for yourself! I was told that I couldn't do it, and on proving people wrong they respectfully changed their opinion, but unless you both have tried this route I suggest your opinions are ill informed! I am no armchair pundit and will only ever try to help others, but sometimes truth is what matters. Please vindicate yourselves by sharing with us the boilers you have completed?

Try actually reading what folks write. I won't speak for Carl but I was commenting on your attitude towards others not any skills you may or may not have.

Thread: What type of pin is this?
29/09/2014 13:27:51

Never seen a pin like that, looks pretty neat! smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate