By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D printing seems to have gone quiet. Where are we all at?
25/12/2014 11:29:55

A guy was arrested for making firearms in his shed a few years ago using manual machines. The point being he was obviously a fairly skilled machinist with a shed load of machine tools. Putting this capability into the hands of anyone with a few hundred pounds to buy a 3D printer is another matter.

24/12/2014 22:18:06

Nothing, but CNC is expensive and wasteful. No built in 3D scanner either.

I bought a CNC'd stainless steel slide for a Glock Airsoft gun. It was cut from solid steel and over 90% of it was milled away to produce the slide. Lovely piece of work if expensive.

24/12/2014 19:29:27

As said it is early days. Printing metal at home would be great, at least until they're banned in the UK when someone starts to print weapon parts. Ok for our American cousins of course.

24/12/2014 15:46:30

The results I've seen from the cheaper units are completely underwelming in terms of things like surface finish so what do folks make with them? I've seen discussions on a couple of modeling sites and many don't seem very impressed.

Thread: Carbide or HSS 8mm lathe cutting tools ?
24/12/2014 13:50:21

Jason's right, HSS is the way to go. I wouldn't worry unduly about the size, 1/4" or 5/16" should both be ok provided it fits in the holder.

Thread: Problem with Single Phase Hoover AC Motor
22/12/2014 13:51:58

I had the same problem with my belt and disc sander, I had to give it a shove or even a few revolutions to start it. In the end it wouldn't start at all. A replacement Capacitor sorted the problem, the "ectoplasm" had leaked out of the old one by the look of it. laugh Maplins had a suitable replacement.

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
22/12/2014 11:32:34

Thanks for that link Ian, I've seen it explained on paper but that was pretty good. Only problem is the scale on my machine is printed and got largely wiped off in cleaning. I'll have to make a 29° Angle plate!

21/12/2014 21:24:42

My Lathe isn't the most accurate (or rigid) Chris so on the rare occasions I've carried out single point threading I've done it on a "trial and hopefully no error" basis - or put another way I sneak up on it and frequently check progress with a suitable nut! I do have a cross slide stop, comes in very handy. I think the flip-up holder will make things much easier for me.

21/12/2014 14:01:06
Posted by Ady1 on 21/12/2014 12:08:34:

A 10 pound vernier DRO on your cross slide simplifies threading because of its accuracy

You can skim down another couple of hundredths of a mm if required

That's another job on the list! wink

21/12/2014 11:04:28

As much as I like it for conventional turning I won't be using it for threading.

I can't stand all that winding in and out so I'll be making one of these plus a grinding jig.

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/swing-up-tool-holder.html

20/12/2014 19:47:03

Details here Martin.

http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=19

Thread: Best mild steel for drilling?
20/12/2014 17:15:44

How many types of mild steel are there guys?

Thread: Picador Linisher
20/12/2014 17:14:05
Posted by J Hancock on 20/12/2014 16:54:17:

The most difficult thing, will be to find belts for it !

Not really. Provided. You are prepared to buy 10 belts many abrasives suppliers will make them to any size you like within reason. The cost per belt is also not unreasonable from what I've seen. Having said that I've found its cheaper for me to buy standard 1220 by 150 belts for my machine and split them!

Thread: Where to buy conical washers.
20/12/2014 10:00:39

You beat me to it George. The correct name is indeed Belleville Washer.

The only reason I know this is that they are used in some Airgun Regulators.

Thread: Picador Linisher
19/12/2014 17:57:45

Here you go. This started out as a standard BDS250 but has been much modified. Belt changing was a bit of a pain before but now takes seconds.

19/12/2014 12:06:07

Much depends on what you plan to use it for Geoff. I have a record power belt and disc sander that I use for tool sharpening. I split 6" wide belts into three for the auxiliary platten I made for mine. I also made an adjustable table as well. It's normally locked in the vertical position for use. Photos if you need them to get an idea. A 3/4 to 1hp should do it.

Thread: Auto-eject Drawbar
16/12/2014 20:34:33

Can you explain how it works please. I've seen another auto extracting draw bar but that worked on the principle of two different threads working against each other. I haven't made one like that yet though as it requires removal and thread cutting of some parts of my mill, a Warco VMC. This may be easier?

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
12/12/2014 13:17:39
Posted by Nick_G on 12/12/2014 10:38:04:

They are not too shabby at facing off either.

Here is a link to youtube taking off a 1mm cut to remove excess material in an interrupted cut on an eccentric for the James Coombes I am building.

**LINK**

Nick

No stringy swarf on that, what material is it? Lovely finish on it as well.

11/12/2014 18:08:33

There was a special offer on an insert parting tool holder set at the Sandown ME show a couples of years ago. Against my better judgement I bought it and found the holder was a poor fit on my lathe. I ended up making my own which is obviously a perfect fit. I should have saved my money and just bought the blade and inserts. The Eccentric one looks nicely made but it's not cheap. I have the steel and it wouln't take that long to make one that's a perfect fit for my machine. Having said that I can wait until February to see what's new!

10/12/2014 22:56:49

When does it go on sale Neil?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate