By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tangential lathe tool holder
29/08/2014 12:45:04

Hi Clive,

I don't have a drawing as I milled it as I went along! As for the steel, I have no idea. It was made from bench (gym) machine weights that were going for scrap. Definitely steel though of some description. Sorry I can't be of more help. blush

Thread: Workshop Electrics
28/08/2014 16:56:31

Yes John, very helpful thank you. And the rest of you guys, I appreciate it. I used to work with a qualified electrician and although I let him fit a nice new HD consumer unit in our old house I didn't much like a lot of the work he did for our employer. Most of it was just untidy due to not using the right tools or rushing to get the job done. I only plan to do the first fix and then get a sparks to finish off. I've seen an awful lot of really untidy work carried out by "qualified" tradesmen over the years, including electricians and plumbers. I'd like this job done to a decent standard even if I'm only running the conduit and fitting the boxes.

28/08/2014 11:14:04

Thanks Mike, T&E is most "uncooperative" as you put it at the best of times, I can't stand the stuff. As it's only one run in the conduit it's doable I think but I take your point. I'll see if I can source some single cable, might save my knuckles and my temper! wink

28/08/2014 10:26:44

I'd like to put the ring main (and lighting circuit) in the workshop inside 20mm PVC conduit for safety (and neatness!) and I know it should be done with single 2.5mm cables. The problem is I'll only need about 25M max of each of the three cables and I've only seen them sold in 100M reels. I don't fancy having 225M of "spare" cable sitting on the shelf so is there any technical reason I can't use T&E for the job? Actually if I include the lighting circuit cable as well it's going to be an awful lot of conduit cable sitting around doing nothing after the jobs done. I should add I'd prefer to use conduit cable so if anyone knows where I can get 25M reels without paying silly money let me know!

Thread: Workshop Heating
27/08/2014 17:13:05

Thanks guys, sounds like a small oil filled radiator set on low may be the way to go. The new workshop is made from kiln dried timber but I've paid extra to have a factory applied (transparent blue/grey) finish on it. Each piece of timber is fully treated so it's better than painting it afterwards. If it looks as nice as expected I'll just reapply another coat of something transparent every now and then.

The old garage workshop had an ordinary up and over door so was quite leaky air and water wise!

thanks again!

Thread: Workshop Lighting
27/08/2014 13:27:57

I quite like the look of these but wondering if four will be enough for a 5m x 3m space. The Lathe and Mill will each have a unit mounted almost directly above.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/5ft-Waterproof-Fluorescent+Tube/p/162290

Thread: Workshop Heating
27/08/2014 11:44:33

This is the sort of thing I remember. Would they be suitable, how many/what size would I need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubular-Garage-Greenhouse-Electric-Heater/dp/B003SD4XK4

27/08/2014 11:41:37

My old workshop was a garage attached to the house and was too hot to work in in summer and too cold in winter. As I shared it with a number of "white" goods including two small freezers I'm told the heat from these is the reason I suffered little in the way of items going rusty. The new workshop will be a timber cabin 5m x 3m, solid wood 44mm thick with an insulated floor and ceiling. I'm not sharing it this time so what sort of low cost background heater would be suitable to keep rust at bay in the winter? I've not looked into it yet but seem to remember you used to be able to buy garage or greenhouse "cylinder" heaters that only used a small amount of electricity. Anyone know of anything more suitable?

27/08/2014 09:07:40

I've looked at the price of LED's and it's too expensive at the moment. Fluorescent fittings and tubes can be obtained quite cheaply and are more efficient than they used to be.

As a point of interest I used to work in a Darkroom many years ago and we used Red tubes which were (ortho) film safe. One of the 8 foot tubes lasted 18 years before it needed to be changed!

Thread: Smaller/bench mounted milling machines
26/08/2014 18:09:33
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/08/2014 09:21:07:

R8 is quicker to change over, but costs more.

Neil

I think it's slowly changing but Morse taper stuff used to be far more plentiful over here, at least at the ME shows I've been to.

Some small mills have self ejecting Morse tapers so not sure they'd be that much slower changing tools. It's a modification I plan to do on my VMC, not that I'm bothered about the speed aspect it's just that it might quieten some of our cousins over the pond who bang on about R8 being self ejecting...

I have a number of fairly large Morse taper drill bits (they sell quite cheap at the ME shows) so it's handy being able to pop these straight in the quill, it helps preserve your Z.

Thread: Milling M/C
26/08/2014 13:52:47

I had an Omnimill, very nice machine although mine had seen better days. I found being able to swing the head around and move it backwards and forwards very useful. I only ran the vertical head for the few years that I had it and rewired the three phase motor so I could run it on 240V single phase.

Thread: Marking out
24/08/2014 18:45:38

I use these, they're very good and come off with meths afterwards. Far less messy than layout fluid.

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PL01790/pilot-super-color-marker-pen-jumbo-wide-broad-sc6600

Thread: Breaking Vacuum Cleaner news for Model Engineers...
22/08/2014 10:33:15

We bought an AEG Vacuum cleaner many years ago and it worked well until the attachments broke etc. it was billed as a "Eco" vac as it only had a 650 watt motor - but still produced the same suction power as a machine twice the wattage. They were sold in Germany with reduced tax to encourage their use, sadly not over here. I begged the question about power etc and was told the motor was a much better designed and manufactured unit hence the low wattage. They cost more to make but you got your money back in reduced running. Sadly the majority of the public don't care or are too stupid to think about it.

Same thing with diesel cars, we were going to buy one many years ago and were asked if we planned to keep the car for at least 5-6 years (we weren't) or drove at leat 20-24k miles a year, we didn't. In that case the salesmen said you'll never get your money back as they cost that much more to buy. No need to mention the increased noise and pollution from them.

Central heating? Not needed in the UK, it doesn't get cold enough - IF the house is properly insulated. Many houses in really cold countries like Sweden don't have central heating. £1000 extra to insulate the house properly when it's built or £1000 a year in heating bills if you don't. Not really that difficult to work out is it?! I saw a timber built Eco house they're trying out the the USA and that was really clever, it didn't have any additional insulation either.

Thread: Tangential lathe tool holder
21/08/2014 22:28:37

Couple more pics to clarify the tool angle of 12 degrees forward and 12 degrees toward the chuck.

Edited By Vic on 21/08/2014 22:32:44

21/08/2014 15:33:53

Yes, do you have a link for the type you used, are they expensive?

21/08/2014 10:43:23

Old style tubes Graham.

Thread: Preventing scaling
21/08/2014 10:41:20

Found this:

http://www.hollinbrow.co.uk/hollinbrow/final.asp?id=10

21/08/2014 08:19:43

I don't buy too many copies of MEW but 215 was one issue I missed that's sadly not available as a back issue.

So, I plan to fit four 6 foot tubes in my 5 x 3 metre shop, or should I fit four doubles instead?

Thread: Preventing scaling
21/08/2014 07:36:03

Not sure if it's suitable for your project but I understand parts can be wrapped in stainless steel foil for heat treating. Don't know where you can buy it though.

Thread: SIEG Super X3 from Arceurotrade.
18/08/2014 15:28:18

I had to have a look at the X3 to see what you mean. Yes it does look a bit narrow, especially if you compare it to it's bigger brother the X4.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest