By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Running 3 Phase Motor on Single Phase Supply
31/03/2015 19:29:29

The Brooke Crompton motor on my Omnimill had instructions inside the wiring box on how to rewire it from Star to Delta. The mill always started fine without an additional start capacitor except once in a while in the winter. When this happened I just used to give it a nudge and let it warm up for a couple of minutes and then it would be fine.

30/03/2015 13:05:34

I've sent you a PM Richard.

30/03/2015 12:04:09
Posted by Ian Phillips on 30/03/2015 12:02:31:

I suspect by the time you have mounted, enclosed and paid the cost of two motor type capacitors you will be in VFD territory.

Ian P

Have you got a link to a £12 VFD?

30/03/2015 12:02:33

Sounds good Richard. There was a very good website many years ago that had all the details but it sadly disappeared. I knew the information would be very useful to me so I wrote up my own "idiot guide" and filled it away.

30/03/2015 10:54:33

Richard, it's 70 uf (micro farad) per KW so 1/2hp would need 26 uf. I used this formula to run a three phase milling machine on single phase for several years without any problems. I got my capacitor from RS Components at the time for about £12 I believe.

Thread: Choosing a bandsaw
29/03/2015 16:14:52

Can't help but just seen this:

http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/shop/warco-4-x-6-metal-cutting-bandsaw/

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo Digital Callipers on eBay
27/03/2015 12:41:25

I won't be buying any more £9.99 specials. The Mitutoyo's will stay indoors as usual but I'll be getting something like the iGaging calipers for the workshop.

http://youtu.be/1yqZx_FNbSs

Thread: Rotary Laser centre finder
26/03/2015 20:53:12

This is just one of many I've seen on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mw-Red-Laser-Module-Focusable-Red-Dot-/291073032589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c54e018d

26/03/2015 18:57:52

Some of the ones on eBay can be "focussed" according to the description, I wonder how sharp the dot is with these?

24/03/2015 09:31:26
Posted by Ian S C on 24/03/2015 09:22:44:

When I bought a little laser pointer, it came with a couple of dozen end caps, each projecting a different shape, stars moons fairies, and cross hairs.

Ian S C

I'm not sure it's legal to machine a fairy is it Ian? surprise crying

24/03/2015 02:13:28

Anyone got a link to a suitable laser?

Thread: mt3 or r8
23/03/2015 12:10:01

I first started using collets on my old Elliott mill because I couldn't afford a Clarkson autolock chuck at the time. In all honesty Z height was never an issue for milling on the Elliott and is still not an issue on my smaller VMC. The only time it does come into play is for drilling so I've got a good stock of stub drills now. It's always surprised me how many folks compromise the rigidity of their machines by moving the quill instead of the knee.

Good point about the use of the two machines Neil, the R8 could be well be the more used machine unless they've both been fitted with chucks. wink

Thread: Well done Tuffsaws!
23/03/2015 11:57:36

Ian at Tuffsaws is a top bloke and always provides a good service. He has a justifiably good reputation for supplying bandsaw blades to the woodworking community in this country. It really is surprising how much better his blades are compared to the ones supplied with many machines.

Thread: mt3 or r8
22/03/2015 16:26:05

Just try and get the one in the best condition ...wink

22/03/2015 13:15:32
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 22/03/2015 11:22:11:

Could I perhaps suggest a thought for poor old MT3?

Ok, I know I'm a lone wolf crying in the wilderness, but when I bought my milling machine, it had the option of either MT3 or something else, possibly R8. I chose MT3 because it matched the lathe which in turn meant that the MT3 direct collets I was in the process of buying would fit both machines.

I must say that I'm no expert having never used or seen R8 so it may be that the advantages of R8 outweigh any advantages of compatibility.

Just a though.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

Agreed Peter,

I've happily been using my MT3 mill since I bought it. Tapping the collets out isn't an issue provided you are capable of using a copper hammer. Having said that I made a self extracting drawbar just just out of interest so no hammer needed these days. I also like to use a ER32 collet chuck quite a bit so spindle taper is immaterial in this case. What is useful is being able to use MT drills straight in the quill. MT drills are often available quite cheaply at the shows. Maybe it's me but MT stuff seemed to be cheaper than R8 when I was setting up my workshop. Compatibility with my Lathe is an added bonus.

Thread: Lathe rusting
22/03/2015 10:49:53
Posted by petro1head on 21/03/2015 21:14:08:

So maybe I just need something like this then - **LINK**

Edited By petro1head on 21/03/2015 21:14:41

Looks good.

I tried WD40 on my old mill and when I checked it a week later it was covered in rust, never again. For storage I use Lanolin but it's getting difficult to buy lately.

Thread: Glass Cutting?
20/03/2015 13:09:31

I visited a place that made a variety of glass products many years ago. One of them in particular were glass discs about 6mm thick and about 40-45mm dia. The glass sheet was first cut into squares and then had the corners knibbled off with pliers. Fifteen or twenty of these rough billets were then stuck together with beeswax and mounted in a conventional Lathe, a Boxford I believe. The whole column of glass was then turned down to size and then the wax was melted to separate them. Sadly I don't know what tool was used to turn them though! Properly supported on both sides this leads me to think you may be able to turn them down with the correct tool?

Thread: HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING
16/03/2015 19:32:17
Posted by David Colwill on 31/10/2012 11:12:51:

I recently ordered some CO2 extinguishers to use as pressure vessels.

What are you making with them?

Thread: Belt and Disc Sander
16/03/2015 11:03:03

Of course, these are the dogs if you can afford one. You can even get diamond belts for them I believe. Sold for sharpening woodworking tools but just as capable for sharpening our stuff. Idiot proof angle adjustment is a bonus.

16/03/2015 10:55:46

I use mine for tool sharpening.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate