By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Picador Linisher
20/12/2014 17:14:05
Posted by J Hancock on 20/12/2014 16:54:17:

The most difficult thing, will be to find belts for it !

Not really. Provided. You are prepared to buy 10 belts many abrasives suppliers will make them to any size you like within reason. The cost per belt is also not unreasonable from what I've seen. Having said that I've found its cheaper for me to buy standard 1220 by 150 belts for my machine and split them!

Thread: Where to buy conical washers.
20/12/2014 10:00:39

You beat me to it George. The correct name is indeed Belleville Washer.

The only reason I know this is that they are used in some Airgun Regulators.

Thread: Picador Linisher
19/12/2014 17:57:45

Here you go. This started out as a standard BDS250 but has been much modified. Belt changing was a bit of a pain before but now takes seconds.

19/12/2014 12:06:07

Much depends on what you plan to use it for Geoff. I have a record power belt and disc sander that I use for tool sharpening. I split 6" wide belts into three for the auxiliary platten I made for mine. I also made an adjustable table as well. It's normally locked in the vertical position for use. Photos if you need them to get an idea. A 3/4 to 1hp should do it.

Thread: Auto-eject Drawbar
16/12/2014 20:34:33

Can you explain how it works please. I've seen another auto extracting draw bar but that worked on the principle of two different threads working against each other. I haven't made one like that yet though as it requires removal and thread cutting of some parts of my mill, a Warco VMC. This may be easier?

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
12/12/2014 13:17:39
Posted by Nick_G on 12/12/2014 10:38:04:

They are not too shabby at facing off either.

Here is a link to youtube taking off a 1mm cut to remove excess material in an interrupted cut on an eccentric for the James Coombes I am building.

**LINK**

Nick

No stringy swarf on that, what material is it? Lovely finish on it as well.

11/12/2014 18:08:33

There was a special offer on an insert parting tool holder set at the Sandown ME show a couples of years ago. Against my better judgement I bought it and found the holder was a poor fit on my lathe. I ended up making my own which is obviously a perfect fit. I should have saved my money and just bought the blade and inserts. The Eccentric one looks nicely made but it's not cheap. I have the steel and it wouln't take that long to make one that's a perfect fit for my machine. Having said that I can wait until February to see what's new!

10/12/2014 22:56:49

When does it go on sale Neil?

Thread: Anvil find
09/12/2014 11:13:36

The number may be the weight of the anvil in Hundredweight, quarterweight and pounds. For example, if it says 1.3.25 then that equals 112 + 84 + 25 = 221lbs. The numbers should normally be separated by dots I believe.

08/12/2014 22:41:45
Posted by David Carpenter 4 on 08/12/2014 17:21:08:
Posted by Vic on 08/12/2014 16:23:39:

Next job for me is an upside down parting tool holder!

Save yourself the trouble and shorten the learning curve here.

Edited By David Carpenter 4 on 08/12/2014 17:25:32

I've already got a couple of blades from Chronos, it won't take me long to make a holder for them.

08/12/2014 22:34:55

I've got one like that as well...

08/12/2014 16:23:39

I must admit that I wasn't very impressed with the way the first one I made cut. I put it aside and continued with some insert tools. It wasn't until I chipped several inserts in a short space of time that I realised how expensive they could be to run. Rather than mess with the one I made I bought one of the commercial Tangential tools and that worked well. Looking back I think I just ground the HSS for my shop made one at the wrong angle. I've since made a couple more of my own and they all work well. Next job for me is an upside down parting tool holder!

08/12/2014 16:10:55

My first stand was made from 3 pieces of garden sleeper bolted together. As long as the grain runs vertically it will be fine. Since I got the oak log though it's been relegated to propping up a herb garden!

08/12/2014 12:09:58

If you can afford it try and go on a weekend Blacksmiths course. I did one a few years back and it was a really enjoyable weekend. The best fuel if you can get it are Coke Beans, most blacksmiths seem to use them although I did see a smith at one show using a mixture of coke beans and charcoal. These are the sort of thing.

http://anvils.co.uk/products/view/182?cat=32

You can of course use any hammer you like but these make a good alternative to a traditional smiths hammer.

The handles are a bit long and the face needs dressing but the price is right.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5257480K

07/12/2014 22:05:29

I used this method on a big oak log for my Anvil, doesn't take long.

http://www.blksmth.com/Anvi_base_preparation.htm

07/12/2014 20:08:59

I had to look back through a past build log to see what I was using some years ago. Jogging my memory I happily turned cast iron, bronze and brass with the same indexable insert tool with the same (gold) insert. I also used the same insert on mild steel. Perhaps two years ago I bought another tool holder that took slightly bigger inserts, it was supplied with one "gold" insert which was supposed to be for most materials including mild steel and a very shiny silver insert which was said to be used for Aluminium Alloy and Stainless steel. Not sure this makes sense to me given what's been said! I must say that in spite of what's been said I've never used a zero rake tool on brass, perhaps I should try it and see if it really does work better?!

07/12/2014 19:13:57

Well said Chris. This is pretty much what L.H.Sparey says in his book "The Amateurs Lathe". He says even production shops eventually realised they could get the job done with only a few types of Lathe tools. Are there really folks out there with hundreds of basic Lathe tools with slightly different grinds or is it just folks repeating outdated information? When I first started out I saw all those late 19th century and early 20th century lathe tool charts and was thoroughly confused. Especially as so many of them contradicted each other! I gave up and learned to grind my own tools with a profile that worked. I soon found out you only need a few different tools. As a hobbyist I'm by no means an experienced machinist but I have managed to turn quite a lot of different materials on my modest Lathe with largely the same tools.

07/12/2014 10:59:49

Posted by David Carpenter 4 on 07/12/2014 09:42:11:

For testing of the Diamond tool holder see here.

Good link David, thanks for posting that!

I don't think anyone will be doing any scientific testing of production tools dropped over a hundred years ago Russell but one may hope!

Thread: Carbide insert tools for lathes.
07/12/2014 10:05:05

For many materials it's hard to beat a really sharp piece of HSS no matter what size lathe you're using. I guess its not an option though for Industry these days. It cost me nothing to make my Tangential tool and runs on a few pennies of HSS a year.

For really hard stuff though insert tooling comes into its own in the home workshop. I found this out trying to take the crust off Cast Iron. Solid carbide mounted in a Tangential tool is an option but I don't yet have a diamond wheel so trying to sharpen the stuff if problematic. The problem with insert tooling is the cost. Large three or four sided inserts used on industrial machines don't seem to work on hobby lathes very well even if you can get a holder for them. It's a shame as they are normally double sided as well giving you 6 or 8 cutting edges. Insert tooling aimed at model engineers only have two cutting edges and from what I've seen are a similar cost to industrial ones. In real terms then they're 3-4 times the cost and are much more fragile. As a result of this I've found the best compromise is to only use insert tooling when I need to.

07/12/2014 09:09:39

Very interesting what you say about rake angles Chris. I've never used different angles for turning tools, not even brass and not had any problems with finish or anything else. I guess folks just repeat what they've heard or read in old books. Perhaps it's time for a new reference book for model engineers.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest