By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which (classic?) (Turret?) Milling Machine?
22/05/2015 14:36:08

Yes indeed. Having both vertical and horizontal spindles is very useful. The way the head moves in and out, rotates and tilts is also very handy.

22/05/2015 09:42:56

Elliott Omnimill if you can get a good one.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/elliottmillers/page2.html

[IMG]http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/DSCN4366.jpg[/IMG]

Thread: Lathe tooling and grinders.
19/05/2015 18:16:19

HSS is fine for many jobs but I'd go for a grinder with 1" wide wheels, something like this maybe.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bg150-bench-grinder-150mm-240v/28349#product_additional_details_container

Thread: Cutting a V - notch
19/05/2015 04:47:52

I have Vee shaped bit for cutting metal, it looks similar to a countersink. I believe the supplier called it a mill drill.

Thread: Jet Engine that works
14/05/2015 19:23:51

I'd be interested to see if it lasts as long as other model aircraft turbines seen at all the shows over the ten years.

Thread: Perfectly ground Twist Drills every time.
12/05/2015 15:35:25

I never knew that John. wink

Thread: Seeking someone to make a component (spacer)
08/05/2015 17:19:53

I looked at the spec for various different plastics for a particular project years ago and found that most of them absorb water to some degree.

Needing slippy stuff I went with Ertalyte TX in the end. wink

07/05/2015 22:19:56

If PVC is the reccomended stuff use that, it's cheap enough.

07/05/2015 18:06:43

Bottom of this page.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/switchgear-distribution-flame-retardant-wooden-meter-boards-enclosures

Thread: Making a weird connector
07/05/2015 13:21:41

Two part Polyurethane might do it as well.

Thread: Asian High speed ER collet spindles
07/05/2015 10:09:38

Oh, and yes, the machine itself was pretty flimsy in my opinion.

07/05/2015 10:07:56

Agreed about cutters not supposed to break. The router replaced a small CNC mill and they really had trouble getting used to the new machine. They used long series cutters in carbide, perhaps HSS would have been better and the feeds were probably too high. Big slabs of special alloy supposed to be more suitable were bought in but made no difference. I had a few small off cuts and it cut nicely on my mill. laugh

07/05/2015 07:25:54

They had a CNC router with one of these spindles where I used to work. Fine on wood and plastics but they found it useless on aluminium. They snapped carbide cutters every week on it.

Thread: Seeking someone to make a component (spacer)
06/05/2015 18:47:00

Nice one!smiley

06/05/2015 15:44:36

I made a board for the Sparks to mount a new consumer unit in my shed. I made some plastic stand offs for it but they were much simpler than that.

Thread: 3 phase motor on single phase, using only Capacitors
06/05/2015 09:47:15

I ran my 3 phase milling machine like this for several years and did some good work on it. It also made it easy to move on when we moved house.

I read an article some time ago that said its not uncommon for manufacturers to fit 3 phase motors into appliances intended for use on domestic supply. The reason is one of simple economics apparently, If they can buy suitable motors at a low price and just fit a capacitor then everyone's happy.

Thread: Stainless Steel Pipe
05/05/2015 16:46:59

The best materials for tripods are Carbon fibre and wood, at least in terms of dampening vibrations. There is another material but it needs patenting.

Thread: Handmade BBC4 iplayer
05/05/2015 14:26:10

Just seen the knife one. Good but a bit too dark and "arty" for me. I would have preferred to see what was going on a bit better. I expect the white stuff used is granulated Borax, it helps keep the joint clean and aids fire welding. I've got a 1 kg tin of it somewhere specially packaged for blacksmiths.

Thread: Deals on machines at ME shows
03/05/2015 14:04:19

Quite different from the woodworking shows. Manufacturers like Record Power would rather sell machines at a discount than put them back on the lorry and take them back. I realise it's not possible with big mills and lathes but dealers should wise up and sell the smaller ones to those that can take them away.

I've always put off purchasing stuff a few months before a show and saved a lot of money buying tooling.

The entrance fee is only the cost of postage on a couple of orders and you often get deals not offered online.

Thread: Chester (Luxcut) Champion 20v Mill x & Y backlash
03/05/2015 13:57:51

Grizzly Tools have the best manuals. They may not be identical machines to those found here but are often similar enough to be useful. This looks like yours but may be one of the others on the Grizzly site, have a look.

http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0759_m.pdf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest