By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can one buy pliers with parallel jaws that lock like mol
13/05/2021 11:32:10
Posted by peak4 on 13/05/2021 11:27:27:

Something like the Facom 518A-5 looks like a useful bit of kit.
https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/facom-518a-5-vice-compact-pliers-for-body-work/

Bill

They look really good. I have absolutely no use for them at the moment but I’m thinking about it! laugh

Thread: How to countersink on a Mill?
11/05/2021 16:40:15

I’ve not had any problems countersinking on my mill. I don’t normally use single flute countersinks for metal though, only wood. All my metalwork countersinks are three flute apart from a couple of the snail type with a hole.

Thread: T Handle Allen Key Sets
10/05/2021 10:48:30

Bondhus make the best T handle hex keys. The key is welded to crosspiece and then coated in plastic. Many if not most others just have standard L shape keys in a moulded plastic handle. For machine use the long and extra long Ball ended ones are very useful.

Thread: DTI contact points
08/05/2021 14:16:35

It’s interesting, when I first read the post I thought it was for the arm on a DTI. It turns out it’s not a DTI but a Dial Gauge. Mitutoyo themselves actually call both items Dial Gauges these days but differentiate by calling them Lever type or plunger type. If you do a Google image search for Dial Gauge 90% of the results are indeed plunger type Dial Gauges. If you do a search for Dial Test Indicator about 75% of the results are DTI’s and the rest are Dial Gauges. I’m not an ex machinist but have been aware from working with a few over the years that they know very well from experience what a DTI is. Not meant in any way as a slur on the OP but I still think it’s a shame that apparently the “old” original names for tools are gradually being forgotten. I expect any measuring tool with a dial on it will soon be called a “Clock”! laugh

Edit: I remember now that when I worked as a mechanic they did in fact call Dial Gauges “Clock Gauges”!

Edited By Vic on 08/05/2021 14:38:14

Thread: Disposing of Gas Cylinders?
07/05/2021 17:31:15
Posted by noel shelley on 07/05/2021 17:24:21:

What size are we talking about ? Noel

Click on the link. They’re about a foot tall.

07/05/2021 13:47:46

How do folks dispose of empty Gas Cylinders like this:

Propane

Thread: Shipping to the EU - beware!
06/05/2021 19:58:05

luckily eBay seems to be working ok, at least with stuff from the Far East. In fact so far stuff seems to be arriving a bit quicker. Selling stuff to the EU is a problem if they’re being silly. It works both ways though, I wonder how much trade they will lose. I must admit I wouldn’t want stuff from Italy to be affected as I’m partial to some of their wine and food products! smiley

Thread: drill chuck recommendations for a bridgeport
05/05/2021 16:04:07

Chuck capacities seem to vary depending on make so you may need two. I have an Albrecht 3-16mm on an MT3 arbor for my mill so I ended up getting a Rohm 10mm chuck also on a MT3 arbor for the smaller sizes. I have a cheap Chinese copy of an Albrecht on a MT2 arbor for my lathe and that seems to go from virtually zero up to 16mm.

Thread: ER32 Collet?
04/05/2021 21:34:13

Given the amount of spring in the collet I’m pretty sure you’d get 3/4” stock into a 19mm collet. If your 3/4” stock is over size it likely won’t fit either if it’s too far over.

Thread: Four facet drill grinding.
26/04/2021 22:59:34
Posted by Journeyman on 26/04/2021 17:18:45:

There is an article by Gadget Builder in HSM (Home Shop Machinist) try this link to his pages there is a whole load of info on drill grinding , jigs and some of the theory. Also a powered 4-facet grinder/jig ** Drill Sharpening **

John

Thanks for that John. I came across this quite some ago but is one of several good links I’ve “lost” over the years. It remains a very comprehensive article on drill sharpening.

Thread: An Electric car from The early 1900's
23/04/2021 12:08:21

Interesting Steve, thanks for posting the link. It’s rather ironic that millions have been spent developing complicated and expensive electro mechanical drive systems for cars when the answer has been staring them in the face for 100 years. Diesel electric trains of course are a proven technology still in use today. Some submarines used Diesel engines to run electric motors and charge batteries. Not a success it seems but in 1942 a Petrol Electric Tank was developed by Porsche.

**LINK**

Thread: Soba parting tool
20/04/2021 14:35:27

I realise this threads a year old but just to add the 3/32” x 1/2” blades are out of stock again at Chronos. I have however just managed to source one from Axminster Tools. Rather more expensive than the original from Chronos but as these blades work so well I decided to get a spare while I can.

Thread: Replacing a Canon printer with a Brother Laser?
10/04/2021 20:25:50

I used to operate an expensive Canon colour laser years ago at work and it was very good at colour graphics but still not as good as an Inkjet for colour photos. They were passable in things like documents though.

Thread: Elliot omnimill horizontal lead screw
07/04/2021 10:01:40

I’m not sure of the machine, it may have been a VMC, but it was retrofitted with a ball screw. Not simple as I remember but quite doable as they say.

Thread: Milling Vice Location
05/04/2021 22:17:48

Where do you position your vice on the table? Mine stays in the middle but it may have been helpful today having it off centre by several inches. Anyone do this?

Thread: Buffing and Polishing
31/03/2021 16:30:01

I’ve used these folks.

The Polishing Shop

Good prices, great service and lots of useful information on the website.

Thread: Milling machines - western-made s/h recommendations up to 2k
29/03/2021 22:49:09

If you can get one in good condition these are very good and likely the inspiration for some Far East mills.

Omnimill

As for floors, concrete is horrible under foot compared to wood. I’ve had several of the former and now use the latter although it is on a concrete foundation. My Warco VMC works happily on it.

Thread: Low head Cap Screws
27/03/2021 15:10:59

I’ve done a Google image search for Low Head Socket Screws and out of dozens of images only one or two appear to have what you may expect to be an over size socket. I’m guessing the images on eBay are something of an anomaly. As Michael says they may not be that strong even if available. I’ll make do.

27/03/2021 14:19:50

It seems the answer to this question is nobody knows. smiley

In this instance I’m particularly interested in M5 socket screws. Standard cap head socket screws take a 4mm hex driver. Both low head and countersunk screws of the same size (M5) take a hex driver one size smaller - 3mm.

I just happened to notice in the pictures shown on eBay that some low head screws seem to have a socket for the standard size driver, or at least noticeably bigger than the others. I have two choices I suppose, buy a small quantity and see what arrives or ask the vendor and trust in the reply!

low head socket screws that accept standard drivers for their metric thread are an obvious advantage to me in that I don’t need to keep a separate hex driver to hand.

Thanks to all that replied. wink

26/03/2021 13:18:56

Do all Low Head Cap Screws have the same size hex socket? I would have assumed so but looking on eBay some seem to have larger sockets?

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest