By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Seeking someone to make a component (spacer)
06/05/2015 18:47:00

Nice one!smiley

06/05/2015 15:44:36

I made a board for the Sparks to mount a new consumer unit in my shed. I made some plastic stand offs for it but they were much simpler than that.

Thread: 3 phase motor on single phase, using only Capacitors
06/05/2015 09:47:15

I ran my 3 phase milling machine like this for several years and did some good work on it. It also made it easy to move on when we moved house.

I read an article some time ago that said its not uncommon for manufacturers to fit 3 phase motors into appliances intended for use on domestic supply. The reason is one of simple economics apparently, If they can buy suitable motors at a low price and just fit a capacitor then everyone's happy.

Thread: Stainless Steel Pipe
05/05/2015 16:46:59

The best materials for tripods are Carbon fibre and wood, at least in terms of dampening vibrations. There is another material but it needs patenting.

Thread: Handmade BBC4 iplayer
05/05/2015 14:26:10

Just seen the knife one. Good but a bit too dark and "arty" for me. I would have preferred to see what was going on a bit better. I expect the white stuff used is granulated Borax, it helps keep the joint clean and aids fire welding. I've got a 1 kg tin of it somewhere specially packaged for blacksmiths.

Thread: Deals on machines at ME shows
03/05/2015 14:04:19

Quite different from the woodworking shows. Manufacturers like Record Power would rather sell machines at a discount than put them back on the lorry and take them back. I realise it's not possible with big mills and lathes but dealers should wise up and sell the smaller ones to those that can take them away.

I've always put off purchasing stuff a few months before a show and saved a lot of money buying tooling.

The entrance fee is only the cost of postage on a couple of orders and you often get deals not offered online.

Thread: Chester (Luxcut) Champion 20v Mill x & Y backlash
03/05/2015 13:57:51

Grizzly Tools have the best manuals. They may not be identical machines to those found here but are often similar enough to be useful. This looks like yours but may be one of the others on the Grizzly site, have a look.

http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0759_m.pdf

Thread: Machine vice - Vertex/Arc Euro Trade/Gloster?
30/04/2015 14:31:16

This is the underside. As manufactured the two mounting holes are spot on with the axis of the vice. As a result all I had to do was turn a couple of sleeves (shown in the picture) to fit both the vice and the tee slots on my mill. Just placing the vice on the table and clamping it down and it's within .001" of parallel. A small tap gets it spot on.

30/04/2015 14:24:39

This is it with a 2" in it.

30/04/2015 14:21:36

The only thing with the Kurt style is that they seem to be deeper than most vices so you lose a bit of your Z.

I've had a Soba for a few years and it's been very good. Paid about £80 for a 4" at the time.

http://www.shobha-india.com/precision-machine-vises/precision-machine-vices-p3.html#1

Thread: Wood Glue for Teak
30/04/2015 04:38:45

http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/News_Articles/HowStrongisYourGlue_FWW.sflb.ashx

Makes for interesting reading.

Thread: Warco VMC - Chester 626 Mill Dimensions Please extension
28/04/2015 10:11:13

The cast base is 16" wide and 22" front to back. With the motor just clearing the wall the back of the base would be about 8" away from the wall. Allowing for motor access and belt slipping etc your bench needs to be at least 32" - 34" I'd say Steve.

26/04/2015 19:30:29

No problem. My fixed machines are all located along the long side of my shed. Starting at the left I have the Mill, Drill then Lathe. I can work on long pieces on all machines if needed. I personally think it's a bad idea to put any machine at 45° in a corner as you can't work on long pieces but I know some do like this placement.

Thread: Estimated selling price of a Myford VMB mill?
26/04/2015 18:30:35

I would have thought it to be a very desirable machine if it's in good condition so as said, a grand may not be an unreasonable sum to the right person. Pictures would help with an estimate though.

Thread: Warco VMC - Chester 626 Mill Dimensions Please extension
26/04/2015 11:20:48

Forgot. Total width required Left to Right (working envelope) is just under 60".

I've allowed 6" behind the motor for access etc although you could go closer and swing the head if required. This puts the Y handle on my machine 46 1/2" from the wall.

Total height required on mine to raise the belt cover and remove the draw bar is 77 3/4". Mine is the MT3 version for which I made a self extracting draw bar, not essential but it shuts the yanks up...

26/04/2015 11:07:53

Just had a measure.

Handle to handle on mine is 45 1/4"

With the table wound all the way to the left it measures 28 1/2" from the handle to the centre of the machine.

The Z screw protrudes 5" from the bottom of the cast base with the table down.

The distance from the top of the table to the bottom of the cast base is 17 1/4" with the table at the lowest point.

Hope this helps. It's a nice mill by the way!

25/04/2015 20:05:23

Dimensions here:

http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/40-vmc-turret-mill---vertical-milling-machine.html

Adding the traverse measurement will give you the working width.

Thread: Temporary adhesive
24/04/2015 14:54:31

Araldite comes off with heat but I've no idea of the temperature required.

Thread: DIY indexable tooling
20/04/2015 16:15:25

Nice job. I've already got a couple of holders so I don't need any more but the beauty of making your own is you can get the height spot on for your own particular Lathe. I've Epoxied shims on mine instead. No need for shimming or quick change tool holders!

Thread: TLC on an old compressor
19/04/2015 17:56:35
Posted by Phil Whitley on 19/04/2015 17:39:07:

You can make it a lot quieter by fitting an oil bath type air cleaner. You will be amazed how quiet it can be!

Phil

UK

Tell me more Phil! Can I fit one to my 2HP 25 Litre compressor, where can I buy one, how do I fit it!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest