By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: YouTube stuff....
19/03/2021 11:00:27

I have made a note and will watch a couple. Some interesting topics for sure. Thanks for the heads up. laugh

Thread: Windows for the scrap bin?
18/03/2021 14:07:47

After buying my first iPad I was hooked on using a tablet. We still have a desktop for some jobs but it doesn’t get used nearly as much now. Some of the top end iPads are billed as laptop replacements and I’m not surprised. Battery life in particular is very good.

Thread: Eccentric Engineering T-blade parting tool: A+
17/03/2021 12:07:24

I bought the Chronos version as well and found it very good.

Thread: Collet chuck for Chester 920 Lathe
17/03/2021 12:04:59

Whatever you do Erik, don’t be put off. I’ve found the ER32 collet Chuck I bought for my lathe invaluable. The collets also get used on my Milling machine and WW lathe as well as a spindexer and collet blocks.

Thread: Poor Surface finish
16/03/2021 11:55:19
Posted by Buffer on 16/03/2021 09:17:23:

Ace

I can definitely recommend a tangential turning tool form Eccentric Engineering then, the link is on this site. It only has one side to grind and that is flat. It can be done with a linisher, which is what I do or touched on the flat side of the grinding wheel. The jig that comes with it takes care of the angles. It is my most used tool and it leaves a great finish on Steel Ali and Brass with no messing about whatsoever. You just need to give the top and sides a light rub on an oil stone to get a superb finish. It seems pricey but it honestly works very well.

Yes agreed Buffer. I have both bought and Home made Tangential tools and they work very well. I particularly appreciate the built in height adjustment so works great in a four way tool post. I’ve even turned HSS in my lathe with one using a carbide cutter.

15/03/2021 22:24:43

Here’s an idea for you to try Ace.

**LINK**

Thread: DTI's Its all in the name
06/03/2021 14:05:14

According to an article I read some years ago by a company called Long Island Indicator, Mitutoyo don’t make particularly good indicators anyway. Perhaps your Miluloyo is better, but I doubt it somehow! smiley

Thread: ER Collet choices
04/03/2021 21:58:34
Posted by John Haine on 04/03/2021 21:34:30:

I keep on banging this drum, but with a small milling machine you can easily run out of headroom once you put a vice on the table and a chuck in the spindle. Since the range of cutter sizes is quite limited, say 3 or 4 of both metric and imperial, a good option may be to use MT3 collets direct in the taper, once for each size. Not only will you get more headroom but better rigidity.

Agreed. Sometimes though when using small cutters you get more “daylight” around the cutter to see what you’re doing if it’s mounted in a collet Chuck. I chose ER32 as there seem to be lots of fixtures and fittings in this size. The collets get used on the mill and the lathe.

Thread: Slip gauges from Banggood
02/03/2021 11:24:23
Posted by Howi on 02/03/2021 09:22:23:

Just to clarify, VAT is not collectable by sellers outside the EU, so the likelyhood is, you will not pay VAT when the goods enter the UK via China post. Despite the lead times shown for delivery, in my experience 7 - 10 days is usually the case.

A note of caution for those buying from EU sources, check you are not paying VAT twice, i.e lets say goods bought from Germany, the price quoted would have VAT of 19% added, if you are a buyer in the UK you SHOULD pay the pre German VAT price with UK 20% vat added so should only cost 1% more.

Buying goods over £139 is another ballgame all together as no VAT should be paid at supplier end but would be collected together with inport duty etc + handling fee, when goods enter UK.

I mentioned this to a friend at HMRC many years ago. At the time, the VAT in Germany was 18% and I asked if I would get a bill for the other 2% and he said it was possible but unlikely unless it was a very expensive item. The item, £800, came through without any further charges.

Thread: ebay purchases : VAT
27/02/2021 13:25:26

Another order arrived safely today, some ER collets from China. This time it took a couple of weeks so still not bad. It must be a coincidence but post Brexit orders from China seem to be getting here quicker! laugh

Thread: Indexable tool insert replacements
26/02/2021 11:28:49
Posted by William Chitham on 26/02/2021 11:26:32:

I think this thread is typical of a kind that are hopelessly frustrating for a beginner. Lots of people are happy to pitch in with common sense advice like "buy the best you can afford" or "I bought dozens for tuppence and they are great" but at the end the OP is none the wiser and is left to start randomly buying inserts till he or she gets lucky. Why is no one ever prepared to stick their neck out and say "I bought this specific insert from this supplier to cut this material on this lathe and it is excellent (or rubbish!)".

William.

You’re not wrong! smiley

Thread: Fuel Resistant Filament
24/02/2021 21:31:55

What about making a soldered brass one like many old carbs used to have?

Thread: Measuring threaded holes
23/02/2021 15:13:21

Thanks for your thoughts folks, very helpful. I concede it was a bit stupid of me not to think of using a couple of nuts! That’s why I don’t hesitate to ask on here!

Thread: Royal Mail next day 1pm is a rip off
23/02/2021 15:09:13

I was offered next day delivery for an Axminster Tools order at an additional cost. I went for the standard three day delivery and it arrived the next day! smiley

Thread: Skynet is Coming
22/02/2021 23:54:34

The problem is the public aren’t very bright and fall for all the advertising. A washing machine engineer told me the worst thing you could do to one was put washing powder in it. Undissolved powder he said caused no end of problems in machines but the shops still sell the powder. The best thing he said is liquid detergent, but don’t put it in the drawer but directly in the drum with the washing. I say this because Bosch have now over complicated their latest machines by adding “auto dosing” what could possibly go wrong ... and how much extra does it add to the cost of the machine? You have to open the drum anyway so how difficult is it to put detergent in ... obviously very difficult!

Thread: Measuring threaded holes
22/02/2021 23:42:11

Can any of you suggest a good way of accurately measuring the distance between the centres of two threaded holes? In the past I’ve put fasteners in both holes and then measured the outside distance and inside distance with callipers and done the maths. Sometimes though the bolts can be a bit wobbly so it’s not easy to get a consistent result. I’m talking about say M5 bolts as a distance of 30 or 40mm. TIA

Thread: New mill vice which one
22/02/2021 12:41:12
Posted by Oily Rag on 22/02/2021 11:17:03:

I'm a firm believer that you can never have enough vices! My collection is of 4" Abwood, 4" Edgwick, 100mm Aciera with swivel base (an extremely low level vice for a swivelling action) and a 4" Palmgreen as well as a 3" J&S multi swivel vice. The Abwood and Edgwick are almost identical, the Palmgreen has a wide opening (about 5 1/2" IIRC).

If you feel constrained by the 4" Abwood (a fine vice in my opinion) have you considered Mite-Bites as a method of clamping oversized work directly to the mill table? I use mine about 30% of the time.

Martin

Agreed. There are plenty of make your own designs out there so I’d be tempted to make them.

http://www.homews.co.uk/page560.html

Edited By Vic on 22/02/2021 12:49:33

Thread: PTFE Rod
22/02/2021 12:36:47

I’ve got to make some small parts from some 8mm PTFE rod. I’ve not machined this stuff for years. Luckily no turning needed just facing, drilling and parting. I’m guessing a very sharp HSS knife tool will be best for the facing?

Thread: Damaged mill
21/02/2021 17:42:47

Personally I’d go for steel.

Thread: Making mild steel look like cast iron
21/02/2021 17:06:39

Sand blasting might provide a finish you like better?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest