By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How To Post Pictures/Photographs and Create Albums
09/08/2022 10:02:31

The default position for me for using an iPad has always been in landscape mode. For taking pictures with it I very very rarely take pictures in portrait mode. It’s simple to crop the photo afterwards with the photos app. I do the same with my iPhone but most mobile phone users shoot everything including video in portrait mode!? Why would you do that, particularly with video? I find it laughable that some people blame the hardware or software just because they don’t know how to use it correctly. It’s extremely rare to have to resize images either, IOS and IPad OS gives you an image size option when exporting.

09/08/2022 00:22:10
Posted by Maurice Taylor on 08/11/2020 17:44:48:
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 08/11/2020 15:01:15:

What we need to know is how to get the correct rotation of a photo once its in the album. Its a stumbling block for me with an I-phone and Apple Mac. If I rotate it before I add to my album, the rotation is ignored.

Bob

Hi,The same problem happens with an ipad, I found that if you rotate the photo on the ipad ,save it upside down,then rotate it back to normal,save it again. Upload to your forum album ,it should be ok.

Maurice

Just retested my suggestion ,and it works Ok.It must be an Apple thing ,worth trying on yours.

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 08/11/2020 17:54:49

I’ve never had any rotation problems with any of my iPhones or an iPads. Provided you hold the device with the lens at the top it displays correctly, at least it always has for me.

Thread: Valuation
01/08/2022 19:43:54
Posted by Michael Callaghan on 01/08/2022 14:12:50:

It’s a very nice mill. A dealer will give you next too nothing for anything. However for a private person the problem is always moving these big machines. If I was you. I would take lots of better pictures, give more details on the milling machine bed size, single or three phase. How easy or not to get too the machines with a van etc. and look for any name plates and photo. Then stick on eBay and see what happens. But this is not a great time to sale anything with fuel costs being so high.but worth a try and costs nothing.

I already mentioned the mill is three phase (with invertor) and the table size in an earlier post. To add, the mill is in a garage with easy access although the property is in a fairly narrow lane.

I have begged the question if any of the vendors siblings have eBay accounts but not got a reply yet. Agreed that might be the best course of action for the machines.

31/07/2022 10:43:52

There are some more photos in my Warco 1127 album if it’s of interest.

29/07/2022 16:19:03
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 29/07/2022 11:48:58:

Top of my head £2500 for the mill is more like it, some one else can chip in on the lathe. If not eBay try Facebook market place, Gumtree or Lathes UK website, a dealer will give you rock bottom prices.

Tony

Interesting. There have been Bridgeports on eBay that have gone for much less. I’ve told the vendor that a dealer is the last resort.

29/07/2022 10:54:19

I haven’t spoken to the vendor yet but I’m thinking £600 for the Lathe and £1,100 for the Mill. What do folks think?

I don’t want to get too involved in the sale and I don’t think the vendor is in a position to put them up on eBay or the like.
Machines are in a garage with easy access although the house is in a fairly narrow lane so backing a large lorry into the drive could be a problem.

Failing a private sale they’ll be offered to a dealer.

28/07/2022 14:25:39

I have a bit more information. Both machines seem to have been bought around 1985 from Semco in Southampton. The Mill is a Long Chung LC11/2VS with a 42” x 9” table. It’s three phase but connected to an inverter. Not sure of spindle taper but it’s got a Titanic chuck fitted.

The lathe is a Warco 1127 which is I believe single phase.

Various other bits including a horizontal head and support and a 30cm Rotary table for the mill.

Thread: Sanding belt cleaner
26/07/2022 21:30:48

We used to get a lot of pallets wrapped with plastic film where I used to work. It was such a shame to throw it all away so I thought “I wonder?” I saved some and rolled it up tight and tried it on a clogged sanding belt. Surprise, surprise it worked just as good as the bought belt cleaners. I’ve got enough rolled up to last me ages.

Thread: Exactly
26/07/2022 20:22:42

I’ve just bought the Kindle Copy for £3.99.

Thread: Valuation
26/07/2022 20:16:42

I’ve been invited to have a quick look at the machines and to take some better pictures. I will note access for removal and supply voltage if I can. Thanks for the comments so far.

22/07/2022 17:44:46

They’re not my machines and I’ve only been passed the pictures. If the owner wants I’ll take some decent pictures. It’s Not a Bridgeport, just that type. At least that was what I was told verbally.

22/07/2022 10:47:46

I’ve been asked if I can help with the sale of a couple of machines. I don’t yet have the full details but thought I’d start a thread anyway with a couple of pictures. First is a Warco lathe and the second is a Bridgeport style Mill. Further details when I get them. Machines are located in the New Forest.

Thread: 123 Blocks
19/07/2022 22:45:17

Just seen this video, may be of help to others?

**LINK**

Hardware:

**LINK**

Thread: Making parting off tools
07/07/2022 20:27:02

I’ve tried several types of parting tools and these are without doubt the best I’ve tried so far. If it’s really hard stock then I’ll use an insert parting tool.

Thread: NEW LOOK COVER FOR MEW
07/07/2022 19:44:08

Get rid of the chainsaw rubbish at the top would be my suggestion.

Thread: I am going to buy a mill….Decisions, Decisions !!
26/06/2022 11:14:13
Posted by Kelvin Jouhar on 26/06/2022 09:49:23:

I haven’t posted for a long time although I read the forum regularly. I have been building a Burrell 4” SCC traction engine from a kit supplied by Steam Traction World. I am no expert on engineering - I have a Chester Comet lathe (like an SC4) and now I am going to buy a mill. These are the candidates , which all look to me like the same machine, more or less.

Axminster SX2.7 - £2,200 - 3 year guarantee - will need to fit DRO later.

Warco WM16B with DRO - £2,170 - 1 yr guarantee.

Amadeal VM25LV with DRO - £1,730 - 1 yr guarantee.

Arc Euro Sieg SX2.7 - £1,740 -1 year guarantee - will need to fit DRO later.

The aftermarket DRO kits look to be about £425.

I am imagining that all these machines come from the same place in China, but maybe different importers handle them differently when they arrive here, or maybe have different things done before they are shipped. My reaction when someone is prepared to offer a 3-year guarantee is that they are more confident in the machine - on the other hand the Axminster IS more expensive to start with, and maybe that pays for the occasional problem…. Decisions…..Decisions…smiley

Edited By Kelvin Jouhar on 26/06/2022 09:50:29

Given your list I’d find the extra couple of hundred beer tokens and buy my Warco VMC again. Having used several full sized millers I can’t contemplate using a machine with a head that moves up and down. The VMC was well over budget when I bought it but I’m so glad I spent the extra money. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thread: Single phase milling machine recommendations
26/06/2022 10:54:18

I had an old Omnimill that I rewired to run on single phase and it worked fine. Apparently you only get about 80% of the rated power doing this but I never stalled it or noticed the motor slow down. Easily done, after swapping some wires you just need a large capacitor across two of the windings.

Thread: I may be stupid but
24/06/2022 11:21:31
Posted by Mike Poole on 24/06/2022 09:38:15:
Posted by Rex Hanman on 24/06/2022 08:02:16:

If one hole is adequate, why would the manufacturer add others? There must be an advantage other than convenience.

I bet if chucks had a single hole then there would be a thread about what a great idea it would be to have 3 holes so there was always one on top for immediate use.smiley On a larger geared head lathe it could be something of an effort to rotate the chuck, I seem to remember setting one of the gearbox levers to a halfway position to effectively disengage the gearbox when setting up a 4 jaw job.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 24/06/2022 09:44:30

Many wood turning scroll chucks only have two holes. Some use a pinion like an engineering chuck but my two of differing makes don’t have them, the key drives the scroll directly.

Thread: Timing Belt
14/06/2022 23:08:47

By a process of elimination I think I may have found something. I took a measurement of 575mm long and 576mm seems to be a standard length. Pitch and width also seem about right. I quite like the price as well. Postage is £4.99.

14/06/2022 22:41:17

This is what the setup looks like. You loosen the four bolts and the whole assembly goes up and down. I’ve sent a message to RP asking how much a replacement belt is.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate