By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
28/05/2020 13:12:27

I’ve just had a quick look and it doesn’t look that clever to me.

Thread: Harrison M300 single phase from new
27/05/2020 15:14:22

I must be missing something but why not just run the lathe as it was made? I’ve used an M300 at my old job and are a lovely machine.

Thread: trepan tool?
25/05/2020 10:40:04

Thanks very much for the links folks, I’ll have a look.

24/05/2020 23:03:03

Have you got a link please Pete?

Thread: The sneering detractors
24/05/2020 17:21:01

I very rarely comment on YouTube videos even if I see something amiss. I should do really I suppose but it’s not worth arguing over. Same on social media. The thing I will pull folks up on is rudeness.

24/05/2020 15:48:07
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/05/2020 14:55:24:

This is a tricky one!

Surely we know that the Internet has serious quality problems? A fair percentage of material published on the web is unbalanced. Well-meaning or not, it's littered with mistakes, misunderstandings, naiveties, incompetence, Payola, faulty logic, safety hazards, and fake news. Some youtube videos containing good advice are unwatchable due to poor presentation, whilst others are convincingly slick but plain wrong. It's often hard to tell the difference between beginners blundering along as they learn from whizz-kids who really knows their stuff.

So what should forum members do about flawed information on the web? Personally I think it wrong to pretend all is well. An engineering hobby is about best practice and truth, not covering up because we like people, or admire their enthusiasm. No reason not to be polite though.

In that spirit I try to be clear it's the engineering I criticise, not the individuals! Personally I positively welcome being corrected because I get stuff wrong and misspeak rather more than I like. An important advantage of the forum is peer review. If I stick a carp video on the web, innocents will fall for it. If I post poor stuff here, there are several capable of putting me right and willing to do so. Well done them, because forum quality is all the better for it! Sad my ego is so badly bruised I often cry myself to sleep, but the end justifies the means.

Can't comment on Steve Jordan's work - never watched any of his videos.

Dave

You’re going to surprise me one day Dave by being wrong. Today is not the day - again! smiley

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
24/05/2020 11:17:14

Thanks Martin, we crossed in the ether again! smiley

24/05/2020 11:00:42

You make a good point Martin. I bought a MT2 ER32 chuck for my WW lathe but never thought of using it in the tailstock of my MW lathe. It is threaded M10 though so not sure if it will self eject? I do have one of those screw in tangs but it’s M12 to suit the stuff for my mill. Anyone know where I can get an M10 screw in Tang for not much folding?

Edit: I think I can make a tang from a suitable bolt. smiley

Edited By Vic on 24/05/2020 11:16:18

24/05/2020 10:21:46

I would have said a Spin Indexer but it’s ER32.

Spindexer

I chose ER32 for my lathe initially as the maximum bore is only 20mm. Luckily there are lots of other stuff that size so I’ve bought ER32 chucks for my Mill and WW lathe, square and hex collet blocks and the spin indexer. Although expensive I’ve also found over size ER32 collets so the maximum I can grip is now 25mm.

Thread: Made a pair of basic V blocks.
22/05/2020 20:13:53

Nice job Ron. yes

Thread: Logging in
19/05/2020 10:19:37

This websites software is really perverse at times. I have not had to log in at all for well over a month, probably 6 or 7 weeks until yesterday. Today I had to log in and made a post and then got logged out within a minute! As usual sometimes the “remember me” button is available and sometimes it’s not. I bet many software vendors would struggle to produce such a random product on purpose ...

Thread: Using large dies
19/05/2020 10:00:28

I had difficulty cutting a thread with a 3/4” UNC Tap In aluminium alloy recently.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
19/05/2020 09:57:36

My local Woodturning club has cancelled all meetings until further notice. They do have a website though and have invited members to submit pictures of what they’re currently working on wood turning related. There is also an online competition currently running although it only has about a dozen entries so far.

Thread: Macro-photography
16/05/2020 12:11:33

I’ve long had an interest in Macro photography. I’ve got a 90mm Macro lens for my old DSLR but things have moved on in recent years. These days Focus merging, stacking or bracketing can produce some stunning macro shots that make “single” shots look pretty poor in comparison. There are several camera makes that offer this facility as one of their settings. Olympus seem to be the most advanced at this. You can get the same result with old cameras by taking several shots in manual focus and then merging the shots with software.

Thread: Magnifying Glasses
13/05/2020 23:21:39

Item number 174061561783 on the auction site. Have any of you tried them?

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
11/05/2020 14:27:31

I’ve got quite a few RCGT06 inserts so I made a holder for them for my flycutter and they work very nicely on Aluminium Alloy.

10/05/2020 18:48:50
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/05/2020 10:21:14:

surprise ... How do you get it to give that straight-line finish ?

MichaelG. angel

On the assumption that you’re being serious. smiley You hold the part on some fine abrasive and hold it down tightly and push it along carefully in one direction. It gives a “brushed” effect. The only problem is that it’s quite easy to round the extreme edges of the part, this looks to be the case on one of the edges in the picture. I finished some parts like this a few weeks back.

Thread: What's this?
10/05/2020 18:15:06

It’s a very good example of what I try to avoid when making anything. Having to have a whole bunch of different tools to make adjustments because I didn’t use the same size fasteners! I built something quite complex using a lot of different parts many years ago and gave this a good deal of thought. Whilst I had to use M3, M4, M5 and M8 bolts, all the stuff that might need adjustment used M5 cap head socket screws.

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
09/05/2020 10:38:16
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/05/2020 18:47:23:

Oh how I envy all you organised people!

Fitted over the hinged flat cover over the Headstock of my lathe is a plywood "shelf" with raised edges. The Chuck Key, when not in use, lives there along with spare Chuck Jaws, Micrometer Stop and a load of other things.

And before anyone says it; Yes I am aware of, and guard against, the danger of stuff falling onto the chuck guard or the bed!

Howard

I used to use a lovely long bed Harrison M300 at work and that had a rubber lined “tray” built into the headstock. There wasn’t much kept on it but nothing ever fell off.

08/05/2020 14:12:16

Mine goes on a magnet on the head stock, specifically the belt cover.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest