By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Omnimill 00
26/05/2019 19:39:44

Looking good. Nice to see these old machines refurbished. Have you thought of ball screws for the table?

Thread: Childhood diseases
23/05/2019 13:37:51

Yes, like nearly every other kid in my school I had measles, mumps and chickenpox in the late 50’s early 60’s. There may now be an increase in these diseases in some areas of the world but is it actually causing any problems? I agree that it would be nice to have zero cases but if those that do get it don’t suffer any more than I or my school friends did is it such an urgent problem? In some areas it does seem to be lack of inoculations but this is partly due to the bloody minded attitude of government who, in spite of parents fears refuse to bring back the single inoculations rather than the combined one. To my mind it doesn’t matter if parents fears are justified or not. It’s interesting that in recent years some more affluent families seem to have gone private and paid for the single inoculations for their children rather than have the free NHS all in one.

Thread: Adhesive Storage?
17/05/2019 16:07:18

I heard some years ago that it was a good idea to store super glue in the fridge to make it last longer. I’ve done this and it does seem to work. Are there any other adhesives that would benefit from this? I’m thinking of Polyurethane glue in particular as I had to bin the last lot when it set in the bottle. TIA.

Thread: Vanco linisher
14/05/2019 10:26:32

I’ve got several rolls of abrasive so I was keen to try making my own. I made a simple jig, just a shallow slot for the abrasive and don’t have any problems. I don’t suppose it really matters though if it’s not quite straight. My belts are butt joined though so maybe that helps.

14/05/2019 09:26:52

Modern good quality belts are butt joined with special tape. I’ve found Polyurethane (Gorilla) glue works well.

Thread: Which thread for T nuts
13/05/2019 15:31:08

I agree about the number of different sizes and accepted long ago that it was better to make them myself to fit the machine in question.

How do you “undercut” your T nuts Ian and would you care to share some pictures.

Thread: James Maiwald Flame Licker / Flame Gulper doing some work
13/05/2019 10:13:29
Posted by Jim Dobson on 13/05/2019 02:20:46:

Well its never going to be able to "work under any load" is it? Its Flame Licker engine!

For a flame licker, running that saw is impressive, whether your impressed or not.

Agreed, just running that saw is impressive enough. I have enough trouble just getting mine started!

Thread: Which thread for T nuts
12/05/2019 17:24:08

My box full of clamping components has both M8 and M10 sizes for flexibility. I did this because I already had lots of bolts and studding in both sizes.

Thread: H2O2?
12/05/2019 11:32:52

I keep the five litre containers in a dark cupboard so it should be ok.

Thread: Collet blocks
11/05/2019 21:41:31

They have some on Amazon, perhaps they are better than the other ones you’ve seen?

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
11/05/2019 13:54:22
Posted by jimmy b on 11/05/2019 11:47:59:
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 11/05/2019 10:34:59:

I still don't understand where all the extra electricity is going to come from, nor how it will be distributed at the currents required for mass quick charging without rebuilding the entire grid.

I guess that people said the same about petrol, when cars started being sold!

Jim

I read a while back Jim that it took 25 years for the first Petrol stations to arrive. Up until that point Petrol was bought in 2 gallon cans from either the chemist or a garage.

There was no way that petrol cars were ever going to catch on ...

Thread: Anyone ID this tool?
11/05/2019 11:08:16
Posted by Alan Vos on 11/05/2019 10:53:28:

I may have seen something simillar being used to stretch material across a wooden frame prior to nailing it down.

Sounds reasonable. It looks like whilst the lever is gripped with the hand the lower arm can apply pressure on the wooden handle?

Thread: H2O2?
11/05/2019 11:04:17

As this forum is the font of all knowledge cheeky I wonder if anyone can supply an answer to my query. Why is it that when I buy 5 Litres of H2O2 at 12% from the auction site it comes in a clear plastic container but if I buy a 3% solution from the chemist it comes in a brown bottle? I also note from YouTube videos it regularly seems to be supplied in black bottles in the USA. Just wondered. smiley

Thread: Omnimill 00 Opinions
06/05/2019 18:00:00

Another mill I’ve briefly used that seemed quite nice was the Tom Senior so that may be an option.

05/05/2019 16:52:39

I forgot to add. Changing speeds on the Alexander was just a matter of moving gear levers. On my Omnimill I had to lift the head cover and slip the belts. My Omnimill had three motors, one for the vertical head, one for horizontal and another for the table feed. I far as I can remember the Alexander only had one large motor but check if it’s an issue. Both machines were three phase but I ran the vertical head on mine on single phase without a problem. The Omnimill is a taller machine than the Alexander so if height is an issue that may count.

05/05/2019 16:43:51

I had an Elliott Omnimill 00 and I thought it was a great machine. Good working envelope and the ability to tilt and swing the head was very handy. Horizontal ability was a bonus I never got round to using. I also used an Alexander Master Toolmaker a few times at work, also only in vertical mode. I felt the Alexander was a more nicely finished precision machine than the Elliott. I’m not sure how the working envelopes compare. The table on the Alexander was shorter in length but deeper front to back. I suspect there wasn’t as much daylight under the quill on the Alexander but I never wound the table all the way down to be sure. I often found it a bit odd using the Alexander as the table only moves left and right, the head moving front to back to give you the other axis. Hard to choose between the two really. If you only do small stuff then maybe the Alexander. If you want to mill larger stuff then possibly the Omnimill. I think they had a problem at work sourcing tooling for the vertical head on the Alexander as they never managed to Identify the taper. The Omnimill vertical head was MT3 on my machine.

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
05/05/2019 09:57:06
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 05/05/2019 00:21:44:

Or you could true it up once, then drill and ream for a pair of dowels as far as possible apart on the base, like the guy who owned my old RF30 mill did before me.

I can get the vise on and off in minutes and so far it checks true/parallel to about a thou every time.

Just food for thought.

Yes I’ve heard of that one. I made a couple of stepped sleeves that are an interference fit on my vice mounting holes and a snug fit in the tee slots. Simply placed on the table with the sleeves in the slots and it’s within about one thou. If I’m really picky I clock it as well but it doesn’t take long.

Thread: Omnimill 00
04/05/2019 10:24:34

Lots of good information about the Omnimill on the Lathes site.

**LINK**

and

**LINK**

Good examples are quite sought after. I expect they were all three phase but I happily ran the vertical head on mine for several years on single phase by changing the motor wiring from star to delta and using a 300v 40uf capacitor. You only get about 80% of the rated motor power but mine ran fine.

Edited By Vic on 04/05/2019 10:28:24

03/05/2019 21:19:05

I had one of those. Very versatile machine and ideal for home use. Let’s see some more pictures when it’s up and running.

Thread: Workshop Clock
02/05/2019 19:17:37

Nice Jim! smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest