By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hex Silver Steel/Tool Steel ??
20/08/2019 17:54:34

Cold chisels make really good punches and can be had quite cheaply sometimes. The last batch I got were Eclipse branded ones about a foot long. They only cost about a quid each from the discount store.

Thread: LED Dimming
20/08/2019 14:25:58

I was originally looking at this.

**LINK**

As a standard switch plate it’s a bit bulky but perhaps I could remove the working parts from the plate.

As far as the dimmer I linked to in the OP it does say it’s a dimmer and also that it’s suitable for lamps?

20/08/2019 13:27:48

I’ve ordered one of these for a particular job.

**LINK**

And I may require a dimmer for it. I’ve heard of lots of problems with light dimmers such as buzzing noises and flickering. I don’t need or particularly want a “normal” light switch but instead will probably use an enclosure and a couple of IEC sockets.

Someone has recommended I use a variable voltage unit like this.

**LINK**

The only thing that concerns me is that it says 220 volt input so would this be ok for UK mains?

Thread: Profiling tools
20/08/2019 08:23:03

There is a guy on eBay selling the 6mm polished cutters. Winning bids are normally around the £30 to £35 mark. This though is for three boxes of Ten inserts. I’ve now got a good supply of them. I bought them for use on wood turning tools for hollowing but I also have a profile tool for my metal working lathe. I also recently made a flycutter for my milling machine that takes these cutters.

Thread: Grinding your own lathe cutters
17/08/2019 12:25:25

It may be a generalisation too far but I’ve found the polished inserts work very well and suspect they would be good for small lathes like the Sherline, in a suitable size.

Something like this?

**LINK**

Maybe even the next size up.

17/08/2019 10:06:21

The Tangential tool pictured is version three, the one I use.

With retirement approaching I considered the relatively high cost of inserts compared to a piece of HSS. I made a small tool that took 1/8” HSS but it didn’t work too well. I got the angles right but I don’t think I ground the HSS correctly. I considered the cost of buying the Eccentric Engineering one would soon be recouped so invested in one. It worked very well with both round and square tool bits. And loaded with carbide easily deals with tough materials. One thing I didn’t like though was that the head was cranked over at an angle (they have now changed this). As a result I decided to make another one with a straight shank but I didn’t allow enough clearance around the cutting edge, this was V2. Version three is as you see it with plenty of clearance. Could it be made better? Yes, I’ve seen a version made by one enterprising individual where he simply flips the hole unit over onto a flat surface to set the tool height. In place of this I made and use a dedicated height gauge. They are fun to make and in my experience work very well for both turning and facing.

3cc85565-514d-4879-a16f-79c56048ce02.jpeg

Thread: Flash player
16/08/2019 17:22:53
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 16/08/2019 13:39:34:

Flash is notoriously insecure, which is why most browsers block it by default.

Yes agreed. I thought Flash was dead, why is anyone still using it?

Thread: Grinding your own lathe cutters
16/08/2019 11:56:31
Posted by AdrianR on 15/08/2019 08:10:43:

Have you heard of tangential tool holders? Lots of designs around if you want to make one and I am in the middle of trying to design my own. Eccentric Engineering make one, see the adverts on this site, and there are some youTube videos about tangential tools.

The big advantage of this type of tool holder is you only need to grind one face.

Adrian

This is the one I made. No plans just made it up as I went along!

2d0b018b-b839-4ed9-bf71-8fb9217db03c.jpeg

Thread: Water pump shaft clearance?
15/08/2019 15:02:09

The impeller is made of some kind of magnetic material. I’m wondering if I can mount it in a collet and drill and sleeve it to get a better fit?

15/08/2019 14:21:32
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 14/08/2019 23:52:26:

Might be a silly question but is the pump motor section full of water otherwise a dry running pump will be noisy.

Yes it’s full of water. Excess noise is often blamed on trapped air but there’s a distinct difference from the noise trapped air makes and this humming/buzzing noise. You can also feel the vibration through the housing.

The frustrating thing is that these pumps used to be virtually silent in operation when they were made in Germany. Not sure where they’re made now but they no longer have “Made in Germany” on them any longer.

looking on the net I’m not the only one to have this problem, lots of others have suffered it with this particular model and others in the series.

14/08/2019 19:13:05

Its part number 7632600

https://www.eheim.com/resources/product//219/downloads/10/EHEIM_classic_250_Ersatzteilliste.pdf

Edited By Vic on 14/08/2019 19:18:31

14/08/2019 15:09:47

I bought an Aquarium filter a while back and I had to send the head back because it was very noisy. It was returned with a new impeller but it’s still noisy so I’m now in contact with the importer. There is only one moving part on these pumps, it’s an impeller with a tubular magnet with plastic vanes. This rotates on a ceramic shaft. In operation there is a humming noise and vibration coming from the head. I have a similar unit from another vendor and it’s virtually silent. I’ve measured the ceramic shaft with a mic and it’s 2.48mm. Sorting through my drill bits I found the end of a 2.56mm bit just fits in the impeller opening. It doesn’t sound much but the gap between the impeller and shaft is quite noticeable in the hand. What would you expect a reasonable clearance to be for something like this. Anyone have any ideas? It may be that something else is causing the noise but I can’t think what that may be.

I’m not prepared to do it at the moment but next time I clean my other filter I will check the clearance on that just out of curiosity.

Thread: lathe part supplier asking questions over my head...help
14/08/2019 12:32:26

Perhaps of interest.You can use a boring head for ball and radius turning etc.

**LINK**

Thread: Looking for a locking stay for machine canopy.
12/08/2019 19:38:05

Hi Alistair, is there anything Here that may do the job?

Thread: Tracy Tools
12/08/2019 15:06:54

I preferred Tracy Tools when they had a shop in Isleworth. laugh I’ve not used them much but service has been good. Sadly they can’t compete very well on price or I’d use them more often.

Thread: Black Oxide coating
12/08/2019 12:27:40

I agree about used engine oil but it’s nasty stuff, especially from a diesel. I used to do it outside being careful not to breath in any fumes. It may be worth wearing gloves as well.

Thread: Suggestions for buying 1/4 inch hss and carbide metal lathe cutters
12/08/2019 12:00:55

Cromwell sell good quality HSS and Cobalt HSS in some sizes.

**LINK**

They have quite a few branches and if you’re lucky enough to live near one you can pop in and order it at the trade counter rather than pay postage. Most stuff used to be in next day.

Edit. Your nearest branch seems to be.

Unit 1 Brookfield Business Centre

Twenty Pence Road

Cottenham

Cambridge

CB24 8PS

Edited By Vic on 12/08/2019 12:23:52

Thread: Slot drills, two for one.
11/08/2019 11:41:46

Funnily enough it was a 6mm I ordered. They will get used and at only a couple of quid it’s not an upset. I’ve found a UK supplier doing them for about £9 so I’ll add that to my next order for inserts.

11/08/2019 11:10:57

I ordered a long series slot drill from the auction site. Two standard ones turned up today ... I won’t give them bad feedback because I suppose two short ones equals one long one! laugh Still need a long series one though.

Thread: Black Oxide coating
11/08/2019 11:06:58
Posted by Geoff Causon on 20/07/2019 10:36:05:

If you want to add a black finish to your homemade steel masterpiece, heat it to dull red & dunk it in old sump oil.

Do this outside with the part on a longish wire, as it will flare & smoke.

Obviously won't work with heat sensitive parts, but you will be amazed how professional it looks.

Yes I’ve done that in the past. I used to keep a small quantity of old oil for the purpose.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest