By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ebay purchases : VAT
16/01/2021 16:17:25

Sounds good Michael. yes

Thread: Disposable Gas Bottles
16/01/2021 15:21:05
Posted by Dave Halford on 16/01/2021 15:12:06:
Posted by noel shelley on 16/01/2021 14:17:41:

IF the original contents of the bottle were non inflammable then make ABSOLUTLEY sure the bottle is empty before you drill a small hole and then cut in half. For flamable content, empty completely, remove the valve gear if possible before filling with water and cut off the top. For larger gas bottles, as before but a good plan is to pour a quantity of hot water in to drive off any oily heavy fractions that may remain, then cut off the top whilst still brim full of water.

Larger gas bottles still belong to Calor or Bottogas etc our dump stores them for return to the owners

Yes quite right. I don’t suppose it’s strictly legal cutting up old gas bottles to make wood fired stoves etc out of them?

16/01/2021 13:58:44

I’ve got a couple of old disposable Propane gas torch bottles, what do I do with those? I suppose in theory the lightweight aerosol type could go in domestic waste? I’ve got the heavier steel ones though.

Thread: What nut and bolt material?
14/01/2021 14:45:21

I’ve got some shears and they were sold as “black stainless steel” is that really a thing? They are black but I don’t know if they’re stainless ...

Thread: Identifying Internal threads
12/01/2021 17:58:47

Update. I’ve seen reference to the size in the manual for a later model so I have a staring point now. Apparently it’s UNC.

12/01/2021 17:11:00

Anyone got any tips on how I might Identify an internal thread on a machine? Its not metric and I don’t have any imperial bolts of a likely diameter to try. I’m not in the workshop at the moment but I think it’s likely 5/16 or 3/8 something or other! I’ve got some thread pitch gauges but not too easy to use on internal threads.

Thread: Nitrogen as an Energy Store ...
12/01/2021 11:35:37

Gravity storage.

**LINK**

12/01/2021 11:31:52
Posted by Robin on 12/01/2021 11:18:00:

Some might wonder how denizens of a thin habitable layer, sandwiched between boiling magma and a zero degree Kelvin void could want for energy.

A relative that lives in Switzerland clubbed together with three other neighbours to have a deep bore hole drilled adjacent to their properties. The cost of drilling this hole was not insignificant at the time but now it’s done all four houses benefit from very cheap heating.

11/01/2021 23:38:25

I read a while back that excess energy from solar power in a plant in Germany is used to split water into Hydrogen and Oxygen which is stored and then burnt again to run a generator when more energy is needed.

Another option I read about planned to use heavy weights in a hole in the ground. When you need energy the slowly falling weight drives a generator. When you have excess wind or solar the weight is driven back up by the combined generator/motor.

Thread: Collet chuck for workholding on the mill
11/01/2021 19:24:24
Posted by Ian P on 11/01/2021 13:33:50:
Accurately centering a block gripped in the vise can take time whereas allowing the job to self-centralise before tightening the clamps is near instant.

Ian P

With the vice already clamped it’s just a matter of moving the table until the fixed jaw just touches the collet block then nip up the vice. It’s very quick.

11/01/2021 19:18:55
Posted by Ian P on 11/01/2021 13:33:50:
Posted by Vic on 11/01/2021 12:37:04:

Unless I’m missing something I think I’d just use a collet block in my vice?

I too use a block in the vice (although not everyone has them) but I can see a big advantage with the JH method.

Accurately centering a block gripped in the vise can take time whereas allowing the job to self-centralise before tightening the clamps is near instant.

Ian P

I’d use a similar method to that already mentioned but instead of having to position two clamps I’d just tighten the vice. I often use this sort of method and ensure I have lots of “pins” in different diameters.

11/01/2021 12:37:04

Unless I’m missing something I think I’d just use a collet block in my vice?

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
08/01/2021 22:35:00

Perhaps some of you brave pioneers can update us with the details of your toy purchases in a new thread when they arrive! laugh

08/01/2021 12:06:29

I’ve posted something similar before but this seems quite straightforward?

**LINK**

Actually looking on eBay it does say that VAT in included in the listed price. I don’t see why sellers would need to register for VAT if eBay are collecting it.

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
05/01/2021 22:47:14

“It seems that since we are now outside the EU, and thus treated as a 3rd country, it may work to our disadvantage compared to EU-EU trading”

I’m not sure why, I’ve bought stuff from Germany in the past and the shop charged me VAT or whatever they call it.

05/01/2021 09:18:27
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 04/01/2021 22:39:27:

If importing directly there should be no import VAT under £135.

Robert G8RPI.

The low value exemption of £15 has been scrapped. VAT is now payable on everything.

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
04/01/2021 13:55:17
Posted by Steviegtr on 03/01/2021 23:49:55:

The way i read it the international seller has to charge you the VAT & then send it to the HMRC. How that will work out will be interesting.

Or i have got it wrong, which is ever possible.

Steve.

I think only those sellers that have registered with HMRC will collect VAT at source. If you buy from an unregistered seller then you will have to pay the VAT and a collection fee (as before) on collection/delivery.

Thread: Er25 collets
04/01/2021 13:12:16
Posted by Michael Briggs on 03/01/2021 17:48:43:

Hello Jeremy, I bought a few imperial collets for the convenience of the cutter not falling out of the collet when I release it. For example a 1/4" shank imperial cutter falls out of a 7mm collet when it is released, in a 1/4" collet it stays put.

It’s a valid point, I actually bought a few imperial collets to avoid over tightening metric collets as well. I bought 1/8”, 1/4” and possibly a 3/8”.

03/01/2021 16:02:51
Posted by Oily Rag on 03/01/2021 15:34:58:

Out of interest has anyone tried the 1" size now available for ER32 collets? - forget where I saw them advertised but seems a useful item as I have some 25mm and 1" shank cutters.

Yes I bought one. I don’t check stuff with a DTI before I use it so can’t tell you how accurate it is but it’s suited my purpose without problems so far. Bought on eBay from Gloster Tooling. Wish they were cheaper or I’d buy a couple more of the over size ones.

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
03/01/2021 13:06:19
Posted by Martin of Wick on 02/01/2021 23:15:23:

Well, I see what the intent is, it is just that the torrent of words is difficult to interpret or understand the practicalities ( dont get bogged down in petifoging detail, just make it happen.....).

I get it now that the < £135 just pushes the tax on small stuff to PoS so is not paid at the border.

As SD states, I suspect all non VAT declared goods or items from vendors not identified as registered for HMRC VAT will be turned over to Royal Mail/AN Other Courier to collect the tax for HMRC and charge the purchaser whatever they like for the service.

In theory most purchases should eventually funnel through the few registered OMPs or privateers that are willing to dance to HMRC's tune because of the extreme handling charge penalty.

Brilliant really, without lifting a finger HMRC extract their extra pound of flesh. But I wonder how many dodgy far east Arthur Daily types will register, collect the VAT, trouser said VAT, then suddenly disappear - Watchagonna do then HMRC - send a gun boat, start another Opium War..?

There is some benefit in that it should deliver some uptick in trade for pukka UK based retailers.

Edited By Martin of Wick on 02/01/2021 23:17:06

Hopefully it’s not all bad. I used to avoid buying anything with a value over £15 as I knew I would have to pay something like a £10 ransom collection fee on top of any VAT and duty. As I see it I can now buy stuff up to £135 and pay the VAT up front without any further charges. A £20 item should now cost £24 including the VAT. Last year it would have been around £34 including the collection fee. Whether overseas sellers increase the cost of goods for collecting the VAT remains to be seen but will be hard to tell anyway with Covid 19 putting a spanner in the works.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest