By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dry Film Lubricant
08/05/2022 10:58:32

I used to have an account through my company and had my own RS card. When I bought stuff for myself I just showed the card and paid cash. The branch I used to use was in Hounslow. It was that branch that said the lease on their site prohibited sales to the public. Presumably to prevent too much traffic. That may have changed. My nearest branch is a bit too far away now to buy one can of spray though so I’ll seek alternatives.

07/05/2022 20:04:15

That could be the stuff Michael, although the can has changed. RS Components never used to sell to the public. I asked once and some of their sites were prohibited to sell to the public under their lease agreement. That may have changed, I’ll. have to check. I’m not sure where my nearest branch is now though?

I’ve also seen this from Screwfix that may be similar. I’m not sure the Toolstation stuff is what I’m after but thanks for mentioning it.

**LINK**

07/05/2022 11:31:49

Many years ago I worked for a company that had an account with RS Components. One of the many products I used was an aerosol can of Dry Film Lubricant. When used it left a very tenacious low friction translucent film on the surface. I was gifted a large can of some other stuff a while back and it just leaves a dry powder that is easily wiped off. Do any of you have a link for something like the former stuff that I can buy without paying more in postage than the cost of the product! laugh

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
07/04/2022 10:40:59

From what they’ve said on the media I thought the answer was simply Greed? Over and over they’ve said the higher the demand the higher the price - the raw materials like oil and gas didn’t suddenly cost 20% more to extract? Quite why the standing charge has gone up though is something of a mystery, the media haven’t asked anyone that particular question. I suppose that’s at least partly down to greed as well?

Thread: Hello from South West england
02/04/2022 20:06:32
Posted by old mart on 02/04/2022 16:07:17:

If you are buying new and have a choice between MT3 and R8 spindles, then go for the R8, it is a proper fitting designed for mills.

R8 seems to be very much a copy of the collets used on lathes at the time and is far inferior to later fittings designed specifically for milling machines. Once a mill is fitted with a milling chuck the taper in the quill isn’t of much consequence anyway. Having the ability to fit Morse taper drills directly in the quill is also very handy.

Thread: LED bulbs
31/03/2022 12:59:03

My wife wanted a bright white light for the home office. Amazon had some 24W fluorescent spiral lamps so I bought a pack. Quite compact for the output and a nice bright cool white. From previous experience they should outlast any of the LED’s I’ve bought recently. Only downside is they do take a few minutes to reach full brightness but it’s a non issue for us in this application.

Thread: How to choose a high quality end mill cutter?
29/03/2022 09:41:45

Have a look at Rennie Tools offerings David. I’ve been well pleased with the price, quality and service. You can buy from them direct or through Amazon.

Thread: LED bulbs
25/03/2022 10:49:25

I don’t think the boss would be overly keen on the aesthetics of flat panels in the lounge. In fact I wouldn’t either! laugh

24/03/2022 14:50:44

I’ve now given up buying LED lamps for the overhead lighting in our lounge. Trying to buy a cool white LED lamp with a light output similar to a 100W GLS isn’t easy it seems and the ones I’ve tried have only lasted about 6 months. I’ve wasted a lot of money and ended up with at least six lamps going into the bin. LED may be cheaper to run but buying them and binning them is most definitely not cost effective.

Thread: Large Scale Heat Pumps
24/03/2022 10:34:39
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/03/2022 23:00:07:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 22/03/2022 22:29:41:

Another point about wind-turbines...

Do the raw materials for the synthetic-resins in the blades, the lubricants and hydraulic fluid in the machinery, the electrical insulating plastics and the high-grade (epoxy?) paints on the masts; not all come from petroleum derivatives....?

They do, which is why it's important to stop wasting oil by burning it. Oil isn't an unlimited resource that lasts forever. When it runs low there will be serious shortages. About 16% of the world's gas is used to make fertilizers, without which our great grand children will starve.

Joe correctly points out that wind turbines are also polluting and mentions 2 million tons of blade waste per year. Sounds bad, but that's tiny compared with the 32,000 million tons of Carbon Dioxide dumped into the air annually. (Five times more than in 1950)

Green may not be perfect - nothing is - but burning fossil fuels is far worse.

Dave

Well said Dave.

Thread: Tapping straight
24/03/2022 10:15:34

I do virtually all my tapping on the milling machine using a spring guide like those shown. If I didn’t have a mill I’d do it on my bench drill. Failing that I’d use a block to keep the tap straight.

Thread: Pressurised vs loft tank CH systems?
20/03/2022 19:46:20
Posted by Anthony Knights on 20/03/2022 17:43:11:

I must run off almost of a gallon of water before the hot water comes through and that is in the bathroom where the the boiler is about a metre away on the other side of the wall.

That doesn’t sound right.

When we had our boiler installed a few years back the installer specifically asked me if I wanted hot water “on demand”. He explained that the boiler would come on as required to keep the water hot in the system. I told him not to bother and even so it doesn’t take long for the water to get hot.

Only heating water as we need it rather than heating it and storing it in a tank definitely lowered our gas bills.

Thread: For those who live in the country
19/03/2022 11:17:35

I went to Tesco the other day and Petrol was £1.62 a litre and Diesel £1.74. No idea what the cost of Kerosene is though currently.

19/03/2022 09:54:57

Running cars on red diesel costs the exchequer enough in lost revenue. If they take the tax off heating oil I expect folks may start using that instead? That’s aside from that fact that heating oil is probably the most polluting solution for home heating.

Thread: Propane torch
14/03/2022 10:47:33

As said Sievert are good. Best prices I found were at:

**LINK**

Thread: Spiral Taps
13/03/2022 14:10:32
Posted by roy entwistle on 12/03/2022 13:50:02:

Why not sharpen them ?

Roy

I’ve try to sharpen straight taps before (it didn’t seem to work too well) but how would I sharpen a spiral tap?

12/03/2022 13:18:01

They weren’t cheap taps. Lesson learned at least for me. It’s about time I bought some new taps so I’ll get hand taps next time.

Thread: Hammer Handle Supplier??
11/03/2022 12:08:53

I read an article about hammer handles a while back and it seems grain orientation is not always correct. Hand selection in person being virtually the only way of getting the best material. Ash has only been the preferred material here for several hundred years so I suspect it’s more than up to the job. Another timber, other than Ash or Hickory is popular in Germany but I can’t remember the name of it.

Thread: Lathe Tool
10/03/2022 10:14:42
Posted by John Reese on 10/03/2022 00:39:33:

I have one of the Chinese imports. It works quite well on my 16" lathe. Because of the insert geometry it may not work so well on smaller less powerful machines.

It depends on the type of insert. The polished inserts should be fine on almost any size lathe.

Thread: Bought Magnetic lamp
09/03/2022 22:07:08
Posted by not done it yet on 09/03/2022 22:01:29:

then noticed they could match anybody’s cheaper price,

Should have done some homework before purchasing. If I make a mistake and pay too much, that is history. My own fault and I learn for the next time, but I don’t go grousing about someone else when it is my mistake.

Learn from it and move on.

I couldn’t agree more!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest