By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Meddings pillar drill colour
05/12/2019 16:32:02
Posted by Hollowpoint on 04/12/2019 20:30:37:

The Dark Green is hideous imo. Meddings offer a refurbishment service, they use a light blue colour. Looks great.

I actually thought Meddings used blue anyway, they must have changed colours in the past?

I wonder why so many machine tools were painted either Grey or Green? The last Harrison M300 they bought where I used to work was white, if not at least a very, very pale Grey.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
05/12/2019 16:25:53
Posted by Peter Layfield on 05/12/2019 14:17:08:

It has been most enjoyable reading the posts ,agreeing with all the views as a driver of both manual and automatic

gearboxes, gaining pleasure from both, but one question haunts me, why do we need driverless cars? the vast amount of money and resouces that car manufactures are pouring into their development leaves me cold.

I would be one that would be listening to the engine ( or electric motor) and making a grab for the wheel, pleasures

of life in driving cars will disappear, progress?

Given the number of road deaths and serious accidents world wide it’s clear that humans simply aren’t up to the job. If you take car ownership away from people completely it will not only cut deaths on our roads but free up time for what many drivers really want to do - look at their phones. It would also cut car crime and reduce pollution. I would expect that fully autonomous cars will be cheap to hire so all those that can’t afford to buy a car would have access to cheaper reliable transport. I could also mention noise pollution and other anti social driving from the chav’s that every area seems to have. Governments know all this and they can monitor where everyone is at any given time so you may not like it, and many won’t but it’s coming at some point whether the public like it or not. From what I’ve read though many young people already dislike the prospect of spending a large part of their income on a metal box that spends 95% of its time outside their house or workplace. Attitudes change but it’s often the elderly that get so stuck in the past they can’t see the future. Don’t panic though, you’ll likely be long dead before fully autonomous transport rules the roads! laugh

Thread: Parallel Pliers
28/11/2019 20:28:33

Anyone using pliers to turn nuts or bolts should expect the worst! laugh When I worked as a mechanic I was introduced to what was called a “Top Wrench”. Although I bought both sizes for use on track rods etc at which they excelled, they also worked very well on damaged nuts due to their self tightening action.

Thread: Recommend a Small Parts Lathe for 2k.
28/11/2019 20:15:09

Single point threading on a machine without a thread cutting gearbox is not a problem for the home hobbyist with plenty of time on his hands. I can’t see it being very popular in a production environment though given the faff of looking up and changing gear wheels etc?

28/11/2019 16:33:09

The 920 Lathe has a Norton style screw cutting gearbox.

**LINK**

It has belt change speed adjustment but there is enough money left in your budget to fit an inverter and three phase motor to give you a reliable variable speed lathe.

Or if you can up the budget a little:

https://shop.chesterhobbystore.com/collections/lathes/products/craftsman-lathe

Edited By Vic on 28/11/2019 16:37:29

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
28/11/2019 13:22:41

I use a fan heater in my workshop, it soon heats up. I’m fortunate in that the floor is wood covered in painted ply so it’s a lot more comfortable than my past workshops with concrete floors.

Thread: Brass Tarnishing
28/11/2019 13:19:53

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. I already have some Renaissance Wax so I’ll give that a try. I also have a tube of Lanolin somewhere if that doesn’t work.

28/11/2019 09:57:36

Is there anything that can be wiped onto brass tool parts to stop or reduce tarnishing. I suspect most options will be some kind of lacquer but I’m wondering if there are any oil based treatments that can be used instead.

Thread: Parallel Pliers
27/11/2019 12:42:22

These look like a handy item.

**LINK**

There seem to be many different jaw types out there but due to the construction of the pliers it looks like it’s easy to make and fit your own custom jaws.

Thread: New here but into clocks
27/11/2019 11:10:29

You are most welcome Derek, I believe there are a few clock makers on here.

Thread: DRO on a Mill
26/11/2019 21:02:37

I find a basic digital scale on the quill indispensable for drilling. Some folks are keen to say it’s not very accurate but It’s been more than good enough for me.

Thread: Metric micrometer what t buy?
25/11/2019 23:40:06

I’m with Dave, I don’t understand buying cheap Micrometers. I’ve got a Mitutoyo and a Moore & Wright 25mm which were both under £25 some years back. I’ve also got an old 1” Moore & Wright somewhere that cost me a tenner from a tool store that was closing down. I’ve got a 50mm Draper somewhere, no idea how much that was or how good it is but I’ve never used it.

Thread: Knurling tool operation
22/11/2019 22:15:49

I’m waiting for the Chinese to start making these: laugh

**LINK**

Thread: Rake angle on Cutting Tools.....memory tips???
22/11/2019 14:54:15

Your reply was fine Ian. I too found the original question was a bit lacking in information but hopefully Neil has got it right and it will suffice.

21/11/2019 09:27:39

There was a heated debate on another forum about rake angles etc. If you multiplied all the different “recommended” rake angles by the number of different tool shapes you would need 127 different tools as I remember. Much of the printed data about this is quite simply out of date and only really relevant if you are a production turner using one of the many carbon “tool” steels available 100 years ago. Bob has the right idea, just grind up some HSS and give it a try. It’s how I started. These days though, apart from “specials” I use a Tangential Tool or Insert tooling. Good luck.

Thread: Cold Blue
19/11/2019 22:16:57

I’ve used Gun Blue liquids like Birchwood Casey with some success on small parts.

Thread: Parting off tools for 102 lathe
19/11/2019 19:46:58

A quick google of your machine and I’d say you could use 2 or 3mm tips on it. They used 2mm tips where I used to work on M300’s, I never thought to ask why. I personally gave up using inserts for parting and went to T shape HSS blades and wouldn’t go back unless I had to part something particularly hard. These are the blades, I use the 1/2” ones:

**LINK**

These would obviously also work well in a rear tool post.

Thread: Holding screw-end end-mills/slot-drills
18/11/2019 19:38:30
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/11/2019 18:47:44:

Posilock?

But I find ER32 OK even though I don't tighten them fully to the recommended torque. Not had a cutter slip yet.

+1 for ball bearing nuts.

Yes, same here.

Thread: Quick Machinists Jacks
18/11/2019 19:34:44
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 18/11/2019 12:28:38:

M12/M8 adaptors available commercially for pennies. Not worth the effort to set up.

I might normally agree with you but I’ve already got 5 metres of 12mm threaded rod sitting in the shed. It will only take me a few minutes to put an M8 thread on a couple of bits. I only want two.

18/11/2019 10:35:57

Sadly I don’t have a faceplate for my lathe so not an issue for me. Hopefully I’m out in the shed today to make a V block with a spigot to fit the hole I’ll be drilling in the hex bolts. Good idea about the adapter for use on 1-2-3 blocks but they have Imperial threads. Luckily I have some Stevenson's Metric Blocks tapped M8 so I can use those. I need to make some M12 - M8 adapters now ... And there I was thinking it was a quick and easy solution! laugh

Edit: Yes thanks for the idea Clive. wink

Edited By Vic on 18/11/2019 10:37:28

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
LMES
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest