By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco VMC worklight
14/10/2018 22:31:05

This is all rather depressing. I still have the original lamp working in mine and the light quality is far better than any LED work light I’ve seen so far. Looks like I’ll have to source a lamp or two in case mine fails.

Thread: Mini lathe speed and tailstock question
13/10/2018 19:59:17

Can’t help with the speed but the tailstock issue is quite common. Luckily It’s ok on my metalwork lathe by I have to extend the quill to accept tooling on my WW Lathe.

Thread: Warco VMC worklight
13/10/2018 19:56:11

Is it this type?

**LINK**

13/10/2018 19:49:57

For future reference does anyone know of a good place to get these?

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
11/10/2018 10:34:54

I think you should use the machine for a few months before adding anything. You don’t want to be fitting stuff for the next owner because you’ve decided to get a bigger mill. I’ve had my VMC mill for maybe ten years and still haven’t fitted a DRO to it.

Thread: G-gem gib or g-golf -gib?
10/10/2018 09:18:52

It’s a soft G for me as in George and Gibraltar. The Americans normally get things wrong so they of course pronounce it with a hard G like Golf! laugh

Thread: More collet and milling tools confusion.
08/10/2018 18:16:36

If you want to use milling cutters on your Lathe then this type of collet chuck may be better.

**LINK**

It doesn’t use a draw bar and you can also use it for holding stock as you can pass material through the head stock.

You could use finger collets in the headstock but it’s not so convenient having to unscrew the draw bar and knock the collet out.

Historically they used to use collet chucks like the Clarkson Autolock designed specifically to hold milling cutters in a mill but they have lost favour. You can still buy them though, plenty on the second hand market. Google Clarkson Autolock chuck for more info.

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
07/10/2018 17:50:34

It’s not a bad book Ron. It covers the basics in the early pages whilst being a “project book” which has items to make that may be useful to the Mill owner. Early on it covers making T nuts, clamps and parallels etc and how to use them. Later projects are more advanced and therefore more complex and time consuming like making Harold’s grinding table. The book is well illustrated with plenty of photographs and drawings. How useful it may be to any particular mill owner is hard to say though.

06/10/2018 18:01:51

Fly cutters are also very useful and give a good finish.

**LINK**

A roughing mill may also come in handy.

**LINK**

05/10/2018 14:36:18

One cheap item you will find useful is a one inch paintbrush, very handy for sweeping swarf away. I use one on the mill and another on the lathe, I’ve painted the handles bright red so I don’t loose track of them!

If you do decide at some point to get a collet chuck then consider a ER32 in preference to a ER25. It’s got a bigger capacity which is handy but there are also other bits of kit that take ER32 collets like a spinindexer and ER32 collet blocks.

05/10/2018 10:33:10

When I got my first mill there were two things I thought I needed that I didn’t. One was a collet chuck and the other was a clamping kit. I bought a few finger collets to hold the cutters and made my own T nuts. As John says using R8 collets will preserve your Z height. I’ve gradually built up my clamping “kit” as I needed using nuts, bolts and threaded rod etc. I also got a couple of steel straps and step blocks for £1 a piece at one of the shows. Off the shelf T nuts will never fit as well as ones you make yourself and are good learning pieces to make in my opinion. Good luck and enjoy the new mill! smiley

Thread: A tale of two suppliers
04/10/2018 18:12:07

I’ve used Kay’s fasteners on eBay quite a number of times. My last order arrived about 22 hours after I placed my online order! Kay’s obviously post stuff very promptly which is great but Royal Mail also deserve credit.

Thread: Aldi bandsaw
27/09/2018 19:36:29
Posted by David George 1 on 10/06/2018 22:58:43:

Murray isn't the rage saw a rotary disk saw not a band saw?

David

Yes, Rage sell mitre (circular) saws.

Thread: loctite
25/09/2018 16:07:42
Posted by Ron Laden on 25/09/2018 13:54:38:

I have a bottle of Loctite screwlock which must be 20 years + and I still use it today, seems to work as it always has.

Yes same here, worked fine when I used it a little while back.

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
24/09/2018 20:48:14

Good info on the Spelt flour Dave, I think I’ll try that. Do you follow the normal recipe for the other ingredients?

24/09/2018 13:19:35
Posted by Muzzer on 24/09/2018 13:08:55:

I think you've answered your own question here. Breadmaker = fling stuff in, press button, walk away. Then come back and eat it.

Murray

Oh yes, total time to measure and tip the ingredients in is just a couple of minutes then the machine does the rest!

I use white bread flour but put Sesame and Poppy seeds in the mix, the bread tastes lovely! smiley

23/09/2018 15:02:51
Posted by The Oily Rag on 23/09/2018 13:25:41:

Useful thread for me. I am being pressurised to buy a breadmaker for our kitchen as I am constantly complaining it has been alleged about supermarket bread. Top of our list was the Panasonic machine.

regards

Ian

You don’t want to know what goes in some supermarket bread or where it comes from ... wink

23/09/2018 14:58:37

We’ve had the same problem a few times with our Panasonic Gary and we’ve put it down to stale yeast. We use ours a couple of times a week and get great results from it once we realise the powdered yeast has gone off. My wife uses Sainsbury’s whole meal bread packs that you just add water and butter to but I normally add a little extra yeast to make it rise a little more. “Sloping” loaves are definitely down to not enough rise. Our Panasonic must be over 20 years old now?

Thread: leinin sliderest
23/09/2018 11:23:06
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2018 08:16:49:
Posted by JasonB on 21/09/2018 08:04:38:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2018 07:54:10:

I would be happy to try 'measuring' it.

Would that be using your ipad "measure" appdevil

The App that I use for these remote efforts is called 'EP Calipers'

MichaelG.

P.S. "Optical Metrology" is not to be sneered at

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2018 08:27:24

Very handy Michael, not seen that app before. yes

Thread: Automatic Centre Punches
23/09/2018 09:58:30

I’ve had one of the cheap ones from Halfords and it stopped working after a while. The two Moore & Wright ones I have still work fine. I like the threaded shaft meaning you can make your own points if required.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest