By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Microwave Oven
25/10/2021 20:00:05

I’ve decided I can’t be bothered for just a couple of magnets. wink

25/10/2021 16:28:03

Thanks for the replies folks. I was aware of the potential dangers from the capacitors in these things but well worth mentioning again.

25/10/2021 15:29:53

We need to buy a new microwave, are there any parts worth removing from the old one before I take it to the tip?
I won’t be building anything “electrical” with the parts so this probably limits anything likely to be useful?

Thread: Correct Drill Bit For 3/8 UNC Tap
24/10/2021 11:21:04

The Workshop Practice book says 8.3 to 8.5 depending on the engagement - 73% to 60%.

Thread: Indexing Plate
22/10/2021 20:43:05

Ok, final update. I found a scrap of alloy and made up a jig plate using Martin’s idea and it seems to have worked out fine. Thank you again for that Martin, I certainly would never have thought of it!

Thread: Progress with the Progress drill
21/10/2021 18:22:24
Posted by AJAX on 21/10/2021 10:50:45:
Posted by Vic on 21/10/2021 10:10:57:

When I took my old Progress number one apart I struggled with one part only to discover there was a really thin snap ring holding it together. Once removed it came apart easily. It was just a very thin split ring of spring steel.

Vic, I haven't found any split rings so far but thanks for the heads-up. It didn't retain the pulley did it?

Edited By AJAX on 21/10/2021 10:51:08

Sorry, I can’t remember it was a few years back. Someone else has done a rebuild of a number one on here so maybe worth a search?

Thread: Painted granite surface plate
21/10/2021 18:20:23

I spent some time researching and then correctly mounting my granite surface plate, including a case and cover. It now sits with lots of stuff on it and I invariably use the cast iron table of my vertical bandsaw instead.

**LINK**

Thread: Progress with the Progress drill
21/10/2021 10:10:57

When I took my old Progress number one apart I struggled with one part only to discover there was a really thin snap ring holding it together. Once removed it came apart easily. It was just a very thin split ring of spring steel.

Thread: My new favourite threads
16/10/2021 12:12:13

I cut a male 10 x 1 thread in some brass for my project and it came out looking so good. I don’t use M12 very often but I’m thinking I should get a fine tap and die in this size. I’m not sure what pitch to get though? Maybe 12 x 1.25?

Thread: Chester 920 cross slide & Backlash
15/10/2021 16:09:55
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 14/10/2021 19:06:30:

The trick of partially sawing through the nut and then using grub screws to enlarge the gap, is at best a bodge and it won't be long before you are back to square one, with lots of backlash.

Andrew.

It’s a standard part, not a trick as you call it on some machines. Pretty sure my 626 milling machine has one. wink

I’ve not needed to adjust it yet but nice to know I can before needing to buy a new part.

Thread: My new favourite threads
15/10/2021 13:13:53

I use metric course threads for most jobs but I have a project at the moment that would benefit from a slightly bigger core diameter so I used M10 x 1. I really dislike making threads by hand much above M8 due to the effort required but cutting this 10 x 1 thread the other day was really nice, even in stainless steel. Thread strength isn’t critical to this application so I think in similar situations I’ll be using fine threads a bit more in the bigger sizes.

Thread: Sphere Turner
12/10/2021 20:03:30

Thanks. I did see that one during a search. I’ll be using a round carbide insert for the cutter as it works so well on my other jig. I’m looking to turn wooden spheres up to about 250mm diameter.

12/10/2021 16:10:19

Thanks folks. I’ve actually got two ball turners already, one for the metal lathe and one similar to the one Michael linked for my wood lathe.
The reason I’m interested in the type in my original post is that they look to be much easier to set up and can be fitted to a standard wood lathe Banjo.

Having used a ball turner there are however a couple of small things I don’t like which I think I can easily improve upon.

12/10/2021 11:46:28

For the Wood Lathe.

I’m thinking of making something similar. The one in the video seems to be made from steel but I’ve seen another very similar design apparently made from alloy.
I have dovetail cutters but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort cutting them? Neither design has a gib strip, I suppose because the unit only makes small movements. Would a gib improve the design? I’d appreciate any thoughts on this before I start the design process. I’m sure some of you will bring up issues I haven’t considered and this has been extremely helpful in the past. TIA.

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
11/10/2021 19:17:46

Just so some of you know, VOIP is due to replace conventional landline in just over three years. wink

**LINK**

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
08/10/2021 11:26:47

Thank you for your post Alan, I found the video both interesting and amusing. Thank you also Jonathan for your comments, you answered many of the queries I had. I would have made one of these if I still lived at my old house with its huge garden but our present green space is very much smaller. Could you build a smaller version and if so would it be of any use to our little friends? I suppose the problem might be birds using it for nesting?!

03/10/2021 15:58:43

Update: The disc is indeed 250mm dia and 2mm thick. As they say “discretion is the better part of valour” I’ve decided to actual wait until I’ve actually used the thing before carrying out any modifications. laugh

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
01/10/2021 22:37:53

I asked what they used in the bike shop for such tasks and they said this stuff.

V-Tech

Thread: Grinding tool bits
01/10/2021 10:50:44

I sharpen most of my tools on a belt & disc sander and it works fine. I normally use an 80g belt but if I want a nice polished edge for any reason I’ll finish off on a 240g.

30/09/2021 10:52:53

Thank you very much for your post Martin, and in particular for taking the time to do the drawing, its much appreciated. I did think of a transfer punch but I think the disk is too thin for that. I did also think of a bushing as I’d like the intermediate holes to be smaller anyway. I’m pretty sure I have a 5mm reamer. Once the disc arrives I’ll have a play on the computer to check things out.

I knew it was a good idea to post this question on here because there are some very clever people on here! laugh

The biggest problem when working with wood lathe related things like this is that nothing seems to be made to metal lathe standards as it’s not really needed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest