By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Optimum products?
19/10/2020 16:57:31
Posted by Samsaranda on 19/10/2020 15:42:19:

I think that in some cases purchasers are dazzled by the mention of German origins in respect of engineering products, not all German products are “excellent quality”. Mercedes Benz cars historically have a far from faultless record in respect of manufacturing defects, they certainly do not top the reliability polls in car magazines, neither do BMW. I think that the mythical German quality is just that, a myth, they are consistently beaten by the quality of Japanese products and now increasingly South Korean, two countries where quality systems have become almost a religion. In respect of machinery for model makers we need to live with reality that at the price we pay for our machines then they will be a little rough round the edges and need some basic fettling and adjustment/rectification to get them working how we want them to, this is all relative to the price we are actually paying for the product.
Dave W

I have to agree. Japanese and Korean cars always come at the top of the reliability stats. In fact Audi came 38th out of 39 makes in 2013. BMW and Mercedes normally appear down in the bottom 25% whilst VW are just below the half way mark. I believe the chairman of Mercedes apologised to customers for their poor reliability some time ago. Apparently even Mercedes main dealers can’t fix electrical problems on some fairly recent models. I also read some time ago that it takes twice as many workers in a VW car plant to produce a car as it does in a Honda plant, perhaps that’s the problem? laugh

Thread: piercing saw
17/10/2020 18:14:33

The adjustable ones look very easy to make if you know a machinist ... laugh

Thread: Milling vice recommendation
14/10/2020 21:52:45
Posted by MC Black on 14/10/2020 19:26:13:
Posted by Vic on 14/10/2020 19:11:37:

I bought a 4” version of this vice but without the swivel base. I’ve been well pleased with it for the money.

**LINK**

Form which company did you buy it please?

MC

I bought mine from Chronos about 10 years ago but I’m not sure they have the 4” in stock at the moment. These days most of them seem to come as standard with a swivel base, mine came without one.

14/10/2020 19:23:22

Slightly over budget but this is an interesting article.

**LINK**

14/10/2020 19:11:37

I bought a 4” version of this vice but without the swivel base. I’ve been well pleased with it for the money.

**LINK**

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 23:38:27

I read some time ago that smart meters cost around £200 each, so a total of at least £400 per dual fuel household. The cost of which is of course passed on to customers in the form of increased bills. I personally think anyone that actually wants them should pay for the cost up front if they’re that confident it’s going to save them money.

Thread: DHL Rip Off
11/10/2020 16:47:24

As far as I am aware most delivery companies charge a “handling” fee of around ten pounds. I’ve certainly had to pay the ransom to Parcel Force and UPS before.

Thread: The Apollo Guidance Computer by Frank O'Brien
10/10/2020 22:41:29

It’s just over £26 on Amazon.

**LINK**

Thread: Another lathe question
10/10/2020 21:55:15

On another forum someone was complaining about the noise one of their neighbours kept making. Some guy came up with the idea of recording the noise and playing it back to them at another time. They could hardly complain about the noise could they?!

Thread: Good YouTube videos
10/10/2020 10:44:38

I particularly like This Old Tony on YouTube. He does some good stuff and sounds just like Alan Alda! laugh

Thread: Shopvac Recommendations (Hoover, Vacuum Cleaner, Dust/Chip Collection)
09/10/2020 10:52:46

I sweep up the big hose clogging bits then hoover up the rest with a Nilfisk wet and dry vac. Rather than blow swarf all over the workshop with a blow gun I often hoover chips away regularly as I machine a job. I bought the Nilfisk when it was on special offer from ScrewFix some years ago. It’s been absolutely brilliant, is not too noisy and can be used with or without bags. Handily you can also connect the hose to the output side so you can use it for blowing stuff with a suitable nozzle if you need to.

Thread: Information sought on Rubor Stub Drills
08/10/2020 16:00:56

I have a couple of Trubor drill bits and used to drive past their place in Wolverhampton many years ago.

Thread: Moving a Myford VMC advice needed thanks!
07/10/2020 23:43:19

Thanks Roger. I was gifted the material and it was easy enough to make. It’s so much more convenient to use than a single lever.

Thread: Corner Rounding
07/10/2020 16:49:19
Posted by KWIL on 07/10/2020 16:17:48:

Nothing new there then.

Not for you maybe but I learnt several things such as using climb milling with these cutters. If you can’t contribute or say something positive why post at all?

07/10/2020 16:14:08

So that’s how it’s done! laugh

**LINK**

Thread: Moving a Myford VMC advice needed thanks!
07/10/2020 14:38:19

I got fed up with the single quill feed handle so I made a new one. Balls from eBay.

2bda766c-0f31-46fa-ac6c-eff0440a0bca.jpeg

Thread: Bolts or studs
07/10/2020 12:19:12
Posted by Howard Lewis on 06/10/2020 10:54:31:

+1 for studs, and nuts,

Apart from the "look", if a thread wears or strips, the stud or nut can be replaced.

With bolts or setscrews it is the thread in the casting that would be damaged.

Howard

Very good point Howard. wink

Thread: Odd looking Wood Turning Lathe
06/10/2020 22:44:23

Looks like it’s fabricated from steel plate and flange bearings. The tail stock mechanism also looks interesting.

**LINK**

Thread: Ball bearings and friction.
06/10/2020 19:28:19

Ah, ok Ketan, I didn’t read it all. wink

Thread: fly cutter wear
06/10/2020 18:58:11
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 27/09/2020 09:58:31:

The older style carbide cutters with the carbide brazed to a steel shank produces quite good results,better than using screwed on inserts ,the brazed shank is more rigid.

That sounds reasonable in theory but in practice there seem to be an awful lot of folks out there using inserts in fly cutters to good effect so I think your “better results” comment may not stand up. I’ve had excellent results using inserts. These guys certainly seem to be getting a good enough finish as well:

**LINK**

Posted by Martin Connelly on 25/09/2020 11:00:34:

The temptation to go too fast is always there.

Martin C

On a couple of occasions I’ve done this on purpose and got a very nice surface texture with the right type of tool grind!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest