By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Homemade Lathe Tools
06/04/2020 22:50:16

Tangential Tool. Both angles are 12°.
7c641a29-3631-4436-8e28-1489437d5675.jpeg0d45bc54-fe38-450f-86f9-be279fd06a96.jpeg

2d0b018b-b839-4ed9-bf71-8fb9217db03c.jpeg

Thread: DTI base
01/04/2020 19:40:27

I bought one of These from Chronos and it’s very nice for £11.05 inc postage. The threaded hole in the top is M8.

Thread: Counterboring tools?
01/04/2020 19:35:29

I can’t sharpen conventional twist drills by hand but making flat bottom ones is easy. I’ve ground several in the past and they’ve worked well. It obviously helps to drill and then bore at the same setting. I do this on a milling machine.

Thread: Taper reamer
31/03/2020 17:07:22

Sold Here for use on model cars. wink

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 14:48:51

We have one of their V8 vacuums and now I’ve managed to clean the filter out it’s working quite well. Sadly the charger stopped working a while back so I had to replace that. There is a lack of common sense at Dyson though. I always had issue with their first foray into hand driers. Not only was the unit overly large but it actually collected dirty water a few inches from your hands which is a perfect breeding ground for germs. I think the team that came up with that particular design should have asked someone with common sense rather than perhaps a degree if it was a good idea. Luckily they’ve dropped that particular faux pas from their production line. I was at Palma Airport a couple of years back and in one of the gents were combined water/drier units made by Dyson and less than half of them actually seemed to work.

Thread: Arc Euro and Coronavirus
29/03/2020 18:03:30
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/03/2020 16:29:54:
Posted by Vic on 29/03/2020 15:13:16:

I find this a little surprising to be honest but it does of course depend on individual circumstances. I’m still ordering and receiving items from companies that provide that in no way can be called essential products. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to risk employing the normal number of staff but surely some of these small companies can carry on with limited staff? if I was an owner of a small company I’d at least try to ship out orders on my own rather than give up.

I understand Ketan's decision is for the benefit of his employees.

Neil

Yes, I understand that which is why I said individual circumstances. But as I also said, I’d be sending stuff out on my own if at all possible. One of my recent orders has been supplied by someone doing this. The albeit small company has I understand sent their staff home but the owner has apologised for any possible delays on his webshop and is still shipping orders out by himself.

29/03/2020 15:13:16

I find this a little surprising to be honest but it does of course depend on individual circumstances. I’m still ordering and receiving items from companies that provide that in no way can be called essential products. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to risk employing the normal number of staff but surely some of these small companies can carry on with limited staff? if I was an owner of a small company I’d at least try to ship out orders on my own rather than give up.

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
27/03/2020 09:39:39

Yes I’m still getting deliveries of a wide range of stuff.

Thread: Whatyadoin?
26/03/2020 17:16:04

I frequent a number of online forums as I’m sure many of you do and at this particular time I would have expected a bit more traffic on them? I expect some of you have increased time in the workshop but wondering what else you’re doing.

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
26/03/2020 16:51:19

Fine on Safari.

Thread: EMI from electric shavers etc
26/03/2020 12:35:40

A couple of my friends are wood turners and both have fungus. The general advice is don’t bother with a face mask as the dust gets past. As a result one of them has bought an air fed face shield.

26/03/2020 10:28:13

Too simplistic perhaps but why not just wet shave, millions of us do it?

Thread: What to use for New Worktop?
20/03/2020 10:01:27

Where I used to work I bought Lino topped work benches for my print department and they proved to be very good. When it came to setting up my latest workshop I decided on two pieces of 18mm ply glued and screwed together and then topped with some nice grey Lino. Given the choice I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again. If I had the space for it I would like a steel topped bench as well - say 1/4” plate but I don’t have the space.

Thread: Virus Alert Levels
19/03/2020 16:09:12

Another big like here too!

Thread: Does Silver Steel normally look like this?
19/03/2020 16:06:48

You learn something every day. I always thought silver steel was round stock as a matter of course. If I wanted something better than say mild, in square or rectangular I’ve always bought stuff sold GFS, Gauge Plate or 01 steel.

Thread: Vaccum for a milling machine.
18/03/2020 18:39:26

Some of the stuff I see on YouTube is really quite worrying at times. The Americans do have a penchants for blowing stuff away with compressed air guns - it’s much more fun than hoovering it up. I saw one guy blowing a cloud of wood dust out of his shop into the yard, no doubt for the benefit of anyone walking past. They seem to wear gloves for absolutely everything as well for some reason.

18/03/2020 14:16:21

I use a Nilfisk wet and dry vac on my milling machine all the time. Blowing stuff around with compressed air was frowned upon at my last place. It’s an excellent way of forcing dust and swarf into places it wouldn’t normally reach and isn’t clever from a H&S aspect either. There was still one idiot that used to use one, including blowing his own clothes down with it at the end of the day.

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 10:48:20
Posted by Ady1 on 17/03/2020 10:35:18:

We were getting pretty hedonistic anyway IMO, huge quantities of wasted scarce resources on stuff we didn't need

Coronavirus: Bad for man but good for the planet

Apparently pollution has already dropped considerably in some places.

Thread: The last straw!
10/03/2020 18:59:52
Posted by Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:47:28:

The "Golden Arches" hamburger chain has yet to take up the challenge.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:48:55

They switched to paper late last year in Europe.

Thread: I Hate Brass!
08/03/2020 10:26:13

I don’t use brass very often but I had several parts to make from it recently and then recalled how nice it was to machine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest