By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery hand-tool 'Prescot'
20/08/2018 10:03:45

Yes it does look a chain link tool.

Thread: Lathe tool angles
13/08/2018 18:45:55
Posted by John Haine on 13/08/2018 17:12:35:

I use a tangential tool - Diamond Tool Holder - ground to the standard angle for brass as well as steel, it isn't a problem. It may be a problem if the brass you are turning is a very sticky grade, but all the brass bar I've had is clearly hard brass and I've never had a dig in.

Yes, same here. Even with other tools ground to cut steel I’ve never had any problem turning brass. I even drilled some brass on the lathe the other day with a standard twist drill and it didn’t grab. laugh Maybe modern brass is a different composition?

Thread: Some beginner questions regarding knurling tools
10/08/2018 17:42:44

Have a look at this video by Joe.

**LINK**

Thread: How would you fix this?
08/08/2018 21:46:44
Posted by FMES on 08/08/2018 21:21:20:

Use 'all in one' dishwasher tabs, you won't need the salt then.

Aha, that’s thinking outside the box! smiley

Thread: Some beginner questions regarding knurling tools
06/08/2018 17:03:27

You may be able to file it Steve but why not give us your general location, someone on here local to you may be able to mill it down for you.

06/08/2018 16:22:05

How about this.

**LINK**

It says: “Shank Size is 10 mm x 10 mm x 50 mm Long. This could easily be removed / modified if you needed a smaller shank”

06/08/2018 16:19:12

With care I think one of the scissor type knurlers may work on your Lathe provided you can get one to fit your tool post. I made one to suit my lathe.

Thread: Web links in Forum Posts
04/08/2018 17:52:34
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 04/08/2018 16:41:52:

Hi Guys, I don't know why moderators don't step on this one, but when you write a post and wish to add a web link, copy the link from the window from where you want to include in your post, write your post and click the Icon with the blue blob and chain. (This is just above the first line of your post). This will bring up a window where you can paste the web link into. When you read your post, just before submitting it, you will see the the web link address, but after submitting it, you will see **LINK**
This is so much easier for others to use.

OK, groan over
BobH

I mentioned this ages ago Bob. The mods aren’t really interested in individual behaviour and I can’t blame them. I think it’s down to several reasons including possibly laziness or just not knowing how to use the site. To be honest the site software is pants compared to virtually any other site I go on. I think the only thing worse are the Google interest forums. As just one example, on every other forum I go on you can preview what you want to say, not on here.

Thread: Grandfathers old Progress No1
04/08/2018 12:08:52

On the belt question I’m pretty sure I bought a belt from Halfords when I first got my Progress number 1.

Thread: Ring Light for mill/drill
04/08/2018 11:00:06

I bought a dedicated LED magnetic work light for one of my Lathes and quite frankly the light quality is pants. No where near as good as the Halogen lamp that came fitted to my mill. I’ve since bought an Ikea Jansjo LED and that’s not too bad. Sadly they don’t sell a mag base version though so I removed the plastic base and fitted it to a spare mag base. They do sell a clip on version but it doesn’t look too durable.

Thread: off the shelf cutter for brass
03/08/2018 22:37:04
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 03/08/2018 20:55:33:

Having said that a tool with top rake will cut brass fine.

Andrew

That’s been my experience. I’ve never ground any tools especially for brass. I cut some brass a few days ago with my Tangential tool and it worked fine, lovely finish.

Thread: Digital Calipers
03/08/2018 14:54:27

“​Where possible I use the parts I'm working as gauges. One part starts from measurements, and the others are shaved to fit or reference it”

I suspect many of us on here work like that Dave, I know I do. smiley

03/08/2018 13:54:21

I did actually buy a set of gauges specifically to calibrate micrometers. I didn’t know that’s what they were for at the time but the price was right! But you're right Dave, I’ve never calibrated any of my stuff! smiley

03/08/2018 12:36:15

I really like the Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought about 25 years ago. They’re still working but every now and then there feels like there’s a bit of swarf trapped somewhere in it. Are they difficult to take apart and clean? Failing that does anyone know how much Mitutoyo are likely to charge to service them?

Thread: Ball Turning attachment for a Cowells?
02/08/2018 12:55:51

I made this type for my lathe, pretty simple construction.

**LINK**

There also used to be a small commercial radius turner called the “Repton” but I haven’t seen it advertised for a while.

Edit. Looks like you can still get it in the US.

**LINK**

Thread: Tangential Tool holder
30/07/2018 18:53:11

Yes the commercial versions allow you to mount both round and square cutters. I have a broken carbide milling cutter I’ve used in mine to take the hard skin off cast iron.

30/07/2018 15:08:09

Interesting tool holder Joseph. I wonder if you can still get those toolbits though and at what price?! smiley

Thread: Website Spellchecker
30/07/2018 00:29:43
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 29/07/2018 21:56:31:

Those Americans aren't completely mad. We spell Aluminium as in Potassium, they spell it consistent with Platinum. Who is right?

Dave

That’s easy Dave, we are! If you look at the periodic table there are a huge number of elements that end in “ium” and only a few in “um” smiley

29/07/2018 19:52:15
Posted by Thor on 29/07/2018 13:59:20:

No Vic, the Americans use 'Aluminum' while 'Aluminium' is used for instance in Europe.

Thor

Ah, I didn’t know that Thor. Wiki says virtually the entire planet agreed on Aluminium until the Americans changed their mind and the American Chemical Society adopted Aluminum in 1925. You learn something every day, thanks.

Thread: Tangential Tool holder
29/07/2018 19:44:12

Another thing I like is quick height setting once you’ve made a jig for your lathe. Only takes a few seconds. smiley

3cc85565-514d-4879-a16f-79c56048ce02.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition