By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Progress No1 Pillar Drill.
28/07/2021 18:52:18

Several places sell multi step pulleys so you should be able to buy something suitable. I think you may have to make the other bits.

Thread: is a belt sander any good for hss tooling
28/07/2021 11:15:28

The nice thing for me about using a belt sander is that you get a flat grind.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
27/07/2021 20:43:19

Nice looking Mill William. wink

Thread: is a belt sander any good for hss tooling
27/07/2021 20:39:45

These look pretty good for the money. There are very similar looking models for a bit less of the folding stuff.

Belt & Disc Sander

27/07/2021 18:58:34

I’ve been using a Record Power Belt & Disc sander for sharpening HSS tools for many years. I normally use 80g Alox for sharpening but you can go to 120g for a more polished edge if you want. Belts last quite a while and aren’t too expensive. Belts for my machine are 6” wide but I sometimes split them into three 2” belts (easily done) for tool sharpening.

Thread: AA batteries
27/07/2021 12:11:12
Posted by Oily Rag on 27/07/2021 09:56:35:

And I thought this was a thread about Flak Batteries from WWII !!!!

laugh Good one!

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
26/07/2021 13:31:29

Most of my spotting drills are quite long so to increase rigidity for lathe use I cut one of mine down a bit.

Thread: Metallurgical coal
25/07/2021 18:09:59

I saw this a while ago.

**LINK**

Thread: Hydrogen
25/07/2021 15:53:31
https://youtu.be/6fF2F4zFt_A
25/07/2021 13:56:38
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 25/07/2021 12:28:18:
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 25/07/2021 10:22:03:

If small drills are wandering without centre drilling first then either the drill, or technique, are in need of revision.

Andrew

Pray tell us what is this wonderful technique which guarantees a small drill will not wander on touching the work piece surface.

Thanks,

Tony

yes

Thread: Live Centre Bearings
25/07/2021 12:07:37

I need to replace the 6001Z bearings in my Live centre. Options are Dunlop or Nachi and standard or C3 clearance. Any suggestions?

23/07/2021 18:09:34
Posted by Mike Poole on 23/07/2021 17:24:14:

Spotting drills were never mentioned in the old books I used to read on engineering although they were not that old when I read them. Centre drills were the standard method of starting a drill as taught to me in metalwork at school then tech college and the factory training school. As NC and later CNC were quite new when I started work, that is it was barely 20 years old I suspect a lot of tooling has been created to meet the needs of automated machining and so was not on the curriculum when many of us were taught workshop methods. We should not be shy of embracing new things but if your current technique works there is no need to buy new tooling for the sake of it. Being aware of new options can as Andrew mentions save time and money in commercial work although pottering about in our own workshops for fun, time often doesn’t matter too much.

Mike

I was never told about spotting drills either. I started using them about twelve years ago when I was disappointed with the results from using a centre drill. I’ve tried to tell others but some just come out with the old “I’ve always done it this way” remark about centre drills so I let them get on with it.

Number 73

Thread: Hydrogen
23/07/2021 17:24:10

I’ve watched quite a few programmes involving the movement of very large bits of machinery. In many cases it was done with electric prime movers because of their compact size and tremendous power. Ironically they were fed by Diesel engines. I’m guessing size for size electric motors are far more powerful than ICE?

22/07/2021 15:12:08
Posted by Howard Lewis on 22/07/2021 14:34:32:

The sun doesn't always shine.

Howard

I think you’ll find it does. It’s been shining for millions of years and has millions to go before it goes out. wink 2

Storage of all that power is the issue and there are lots of companies addressing it.

Just one

Another

Another solution put forward is a fully connected power network, because as the sun shines all the time it will be providing energy somewhere on our ball. Politics though means this is highly unlikely to ever happen.

I’m sure we can find solutions if those with the imagination work at it.

Thread: E10 Petrol
21/07/2021 15:30:10

Running cars on Ethanol is nothing new.

**LINK**

Thread: Chuck fitting
20/07/2021 21:27:26

All my chucks, 4” 3JSC, 4” FJI, 5” FJI and ER32 collet all have the same bolt hole centres.

Some of the studs arrived today so I tried it out using the existing holes and some flange nuts and it seemed quite secure. Once I can see what clearance I have I may make some top hat washers for the existing holes and see how that goes.

Thread: Best soldering iron for electronics
19/07/2021 10:59:12

Another Antex user. I have a couple of the small ones for little electronics jobs. A guy I used to work with though liked those huge red pistol types. I couldn’t get on with it but he liked the instant hear feature.

Thread: Chuck fitting
18/07/2021 15:41:51

Spacing the new holes like that was my first thought but it doesn’t matter, I’ll still have the choice no matter where the holes are.

18/07/2021 11:15:51

After some thought I think I’d prefer to re-drill three new holes in the flange if I can. I will test it with a new bit soon. One concern for me was bolt spacing with the flange in situ. I do however have a collet Chuck with threaded through holes so I could clamp this in place and use it as a guide with some threaded guides in the holes. I did also think to space the new holes equidistant with the old but I’m not sure there’s any advantage in this. If I can drill the flange I plan on using hi tensile socket set screws and flanged nuts. My thinking with all of this is that provided the threads are kept clean I should be able to spin the nuts on and off most of the way with tools, just resorting to a spanner for final tightening.

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
17/07/2021 17:10:24

I find threading anything over 8mm a bit of a chore Martin. The last thread I cut was M6 and the finish on steel was rubbish so I bought a new Die. Looking good so far, keep going. wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest