By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hardening a form tool made from Gauge Plate
15/06/2019 14:06:57

Nice Nuts Jason! smiley

15/06/2019 14:05:39
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 15/06/2019 13:23:15:

But it could also mean that the hardening didn't work properly. In that case tempering will have little or no effect.

Andrew

And you think we wouldn’t notice?! In my case at least all the parts ended up glass hard as determined by a file just skidding over the surface. I’ve made trigger parts and scraper tips and they’ve all worked very well.

15/06/2019 11:43:43
Posted by JasonB on 14/06/2019 18:20:27:

I would not bother to temper, just use it hard.

Yes I’ve done that with several things I’ve made from 01 and not had any problems.

Thread: High performance Torx bits
12/06/2019 21:27:49

Personal, not Industrial but try Bondhus.

Bondhus

They make probably the best Hex drivers you can buy so I expect their Torx to be just as good using their own special steel.

Thread: Noise Cameras
10/06/2019 09:30:43

I don’t know why they can’t deal with this at MOT time?

**LINK**

Thread: Plug and Socket
06/06/2019 13:25:43

I did think of a 3.5 (or even a 2.5) but I’m not that keen on them. I’ll have a look at what’s on offer though it may be a suitable option.

06/06/2019 10:04:44

I’m putting an STC 1000 controller in an enclosure and will be using IEC plugs and sockets for the power in and heating out elements. I would also like to use a small plug and socket for the temperature probe, any suggestions on a suitable type? I’m thinking of the small barrel type often used on small chargers. TIA and any links would be appreciated.

Thread: Motorcycle 'blipping'...
04/06/2019 14:46:57
Posted by not done it yet on 04/06/2019 14:09:56:

We were all young once. I know that I used to wind up my bike at times. Lots of times. What the youngsters do not comprehend is that when they regularly wind the throttle full bore and blast up the road on their way home from work, they can be heard for some considerable distance. It is easy for plod to site their speed traps at the appropriate time and place, if there are complaints.

If only that were true. We have bikers blasting up and down a nearby dual carriageway, normally late at night. It’s not nice for the many thousands of households that have to put up with this selfish behaviour. One of them didn’t make it though last year, he didn’t stop in time and hit a road sign at the roundabout. They reckon he was doing well over double the speed limit. The local Police really aren’t interested in the problem judging by their attitude. Hopefully ICE bikes will be banned in the future like cars and these idiots can kill themselves quietly on electric bikes.

Thread: Antikythera mechanism
03/06/2019 20:54:32

They say it uses Babylonian arithmetic, not Greek trigonometry.

Link

Thread: Motorcycle 'blipping'...
03/06/2019 15:36:12

Russell has it right. It’s just mental thing with bike riders, they all seem to do it.

Thread: Which Qctp for mini lathe?
03/06/2019 10:37:28

I just use a four way TP in mine. The lathe is not that rigid to start with so I don’t feel a QCTP would do me any favours. I’ve glued or screwed any spacers needed to the bottom of some of the tools I use so they’re permanently on height. I also use a Tangential Tool and that has height adjustment built in.

Thread: What are you using for Lathe Way Oil?
02/06/2019 12:13:47

I’m also using Slideway 68.

Thread: Rage Evolution sliding saws
31/05/2019 15:43:06

One of the metal suppliers I used some years ago had one of those slow speed chop saws (not abrasive) and used it for all the smaller stuff. Worked really well and a tiny footprint compared to a horizontal bandsaw. I just wish they were cheaper.

Thread: Making a Silicone Soldering Brush
31/05/2019 10:57:36

They are also very popular with woodworkers for glue brushes. You can pay over a fiver for these in some places or get them for 90p from the Swedish Shop. wink

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
31/05/2019 10:54:12

As an aside, when a company I worked for many years ago bought a used Lathe I was expecting a lorry to turn up with the machine. Instead it arrived on the back of a pickup truck also carrying an engine hoist. The two guys lifted of the hoist then used it to lift the Lathe off the pickup and onto a couple of dollies. They made it all look very easy.

Thread: Side camera
29/05/2019 10:09:27

I’m happy with using the YouTube app on my iPad, that’s what it’s for. But it still remains, why can you just paste the link on virtually every other forum out there and it embeds automatically but NOT on this forum? Actually I know the answer but I’m just making a point. Advertising is obviously more important than usability. I wonder how many give up on this site due to the antiquated software.

28/05/2019 20:39:03

As with several other things Neil it doesn’t seem to work with this website. There is no embed option only “copy link” when you’re using an iPad. On every other forum I use though I can just paste the copied link and it embeds itself just fine. thinking

I really don’t know why this forum software is so different.

28/05/2019 17:55:13

Looks like a good idea.

https://youtu.be/E8CiN_an1a4
Thread: Omnimill 00
26/05/2019 20:41:50

Yes good idea on the hand wheel for the knee Paul. I found it a bit small when I had an Omnimill. The lever and castellated boss works well for the knee on my Warco VMC.

26/05/2019 19:39:44

Looking good. Nice to see these old machines refurbished. Have you thought of ball screws for the table?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest