By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New to metal lathes - bore sizes?
14/02/2019 18:47:09

Big bore on this one!

**LINK**

Thread: Boxford machinery auction
14/02/2019 10:09:43

Maybe they’re switching to just design and sales here with manufacturing in China?

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
13/02/2019 18:06:23

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/02/2019 17:15:12:

Anything with significant plastic parts will taste disgusting for a while.

Plastic kettles are unusable these days, you have to go stainless steel.

Neil

It must be you. Our last kettle (lid broke) and our current one are both plastic and we haven’t experienced any odd taste. My wife probably wouldn’t notice anyway but I have a very acute sense of taste and smell.

Thread: New to metal lathes
13/02/2019 13:57:43

I found the video. They do use a lathe but the boss seemed to say it was only for jointing?

**LINK**

13/02/2019 13:25:06

Hi Bill welcome, ask away. I was surprised to see that one of the top cue makers (they were making a cue for Ronnie O’Sullivan) didn’t use a lathe in a video I saw. They did all the shaping on a bench with a plane. The video didn’t show the making of the metal parts though. Mass produced cues do seem to be lathe made however, I guess it’s quicker.

Thread: Upgrade from SC3 lathe
12/02/2019 21:27:28

Another one to look out for may be the Viceroy.

**LINK**

A mate who works in a school says they got rid of two of them some years back and they showed little sign of any hard use.

Thread: Single to 3 phase invertor and smart meters
11/02/2019 17:33:23

People are getting wise about so called smart meters.

**LINK**

10/02/2019 18:08:09

Its quite interesting that although the majority of houses don’t have smart meters the UK has continued to reduce energy consumption for well over a decade:

**LINK**

Some more information about smart meters in the UK.

**LINK**

10/02/2019 13:10:59

It seems that fitting smart meters was not initially UK government policy but rather a European Union proposal.

As long ago as 2013 the Germans decided it was of no benefit to consumers.

**LINK**

10/02/2019 10:51:20

Posted by V8Eng on 10/02/2019 10:16:54:

I have a similar meter system to the one Peter Shaw mentions.

The supply company emails me when they want a reading, I read the meters then log in on the company website and put the readings in.

We see no use for a Smart Meter because our house operates on the ‘switch off if not using’ basis anyway.

All that works a treat, pretty cost effective too I would imagine.

Edited By V8Eng on 10/02/2019 10:19:53

Yes, that’s how we operate as well. The only equipment switched on is because it needs to be.

09/02/2019 23:50:11

I’ve read many reasons not to have one but the Telegraph have listed a few.

**LINK**

There are many more, not least of which is that customers will ultimately have to pay the bill for these smart meters.

**LINK**

09/02/2019 21:56:44

I won’t be having a smart meter if I can help it. The only reason for having one is not having to read the meter and send the numbers in every month, but that’s not difficult.

Thread: DIY Epoxy Frame based CNC MILL
08/02/2019 14:59:15

You’re making very good progress John and the results are impressive. I can’t wait to see it all in action when it’s finished. Thanks for your marvellous documentation of the project and sharing of materials and links etc. yes

Thread: print-offable and laminatable chart
03/02/2019 13:38:26

Well done Rod, that’s a comprehensive answer!

Thread: Alternative to a QCTP?
03/02/2019 10:35:38

Just because a four way toolpost can mount four tools at once doesn’t mean you need to. As all my tools are fixed on centre height it only takes a few seconds to mount one. I normally only have two in my four way, a turning tool and a parting tool.

02/02/2019 23:42:49

99% of my turning is done with one of three or four tools, a Tangential tool which is height adjustable itself anyway and a parting tool and a couple of insert tools. I have glued or screwed ground flat stock to the underside of the tools so they are permanently on centre height when mounted in my four way tool post. This increases rigidity on my lathe and means I don’t need to make or buy lots of tool holders. One job I need to do is make an on centre holder for my boring bars. For the last insert tool holder I bought I purchased the 16mm shank model and just milled a bit off the bottom until the insert was on centre height. Another advantage in my small workshop is the tools take up much less space than having them in holders and they can’t loose their height adjustment.

Thread: Neil:- Is the spelling chucker broken?
02/02/2019 12:10:38
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/02/2019 11:17:12:

I'm wary of using the forum spellchecker on long posts because it's crashed the session a few of times. Serves me right for waffling...

Dave

Don’t be too hard on yourself Dave, unlike some on here your waffle is normally worth reading. laugh

On the subject though, my iPad auto corrects words as I type on here or offers suggestions. It’s not perfect but it is pretty good. I’m using Safari.

Thread: Parting off tool - straight or angled.
02/02/2019 11:10:39

Nice tool post Gray, that looks very solid. yes

01/02/2019 14:01:36

I use the T shaped blades in a straight holder, all you need to do is provide a little relief at the front. The top of the blade includes a chip breaker along its length in the form of a slight U shape.

Thread: New member
29/01/2019 19:20:05

Welcome Pete, sounds like you’re well set up to tackle most jobs.

Edited By Vic on 29/01/2019 19:20:31

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest