By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Using Counterbores
23/07/2020 16:42:14

I often work with aluminium alloy so making your own from Silver steel is not difficult. I never seem to have the size I need though.

Thread: Alloy stuck to cutter
18/07/2020 19:22:54

Thanks Tim.

18/07/2020 09:48:38

Thanks, I’ll try the caustic soda. wink

17/07/2020 16:25:02

I have a small carbide bull nose mill and just noticing it in my box it’s got aluminium alloy swarf “welded” to it. Is there an easy way of removing it?

Thread: Need to know about iPad 'air'
25/06/2020 22:17:20

An iPad Air will be fine for Zoom. You could use a phone but it’s very limiting as you would expect from such a tiny screen.

Thread: Jacobs morse taper chuck.
18/06/2020 16:16:39

I read many years from a chuck manufacturer to drill a hole through the back of the chuck and knock out the taper with a punch. Only needed to do it once but was surprisingly easy once you know.

Thread: R8 or morse taper 3?
13/06/2020 19:54:40
Posted by Barrie Lever on 12/06/2020 18:19:34:

I have used INT30 and MT2 in the same machine and INT30 wins hands down and would win over MT3 as well.

What really matters is the cross sectional area once out of the spindle and INT30 is good in this area.

INT30 releases nicely and goes back in the same place (Z direction).

Emgee mentioned the EMCO specific INT30 tool holders, these were/are the best that you can get as they have pocket for the ER25 collet some what buried inside the tool holder giving more head room on a small machine and further increasing the stiffness.

MT direct collets work well and give more headroom and stiffness.

Machines with INT30

EMCO F1, Denford, Boxford, Wabeco and probably many more.

B.

They had a couple of small CNC mills where I used to work and the INT30 ER chucks were brilliant. Each machine had eight or ten for rapid changes. They also had linear guides and ball screws.

MT and R8 have their uses but for milling machines both are old out of date systems. If it wasn’t for hobbyists the R8 probably would have ceased to be used decades ago. Morse tapers on the other hand continue to be deemed useful for tailstock barrels on both MW and WW lathes.

I guess it’s much too expensive but it would be nice to see manual mills in hobbyist sizes with modern features.

Thread: Another ER32 chuck question..
05/06/2020 15:06:40

I’ve got a number of ER 32 Chucks. Flange for the MW lathe, MT3 for the mill and MT2 for the WW lathe.

Thread: Using Counterbores
05/06/2020 11:06:37

From a purely aesthetic point of view standard metric counterbores don’t produce a very neat result. I’ve therefore used a variety of other tools including some home made ones to produce something that looks a bit better.

Thread: Another ER32 chuck question..
04/06/2020 10:12:06

It’s best if you can get a flange mount chuck for your lathe if you can. This means you can pass long stock right through the chuck and head stock spindle. This is the type of thing:

Chuck

Thread: Sandvik Torx Plus Size
31/05/2020 21:29:10

M2 Torx Are easily lost so its worth getting some spares.

Thread: Measuring Set
31/05/2020 21:23:41

It was just a heads up Mick, I didn’t study all the bits. I have all the measuring stuff I need.

Thread: Workshop Gloves
31/05/2020 19:03:25

I did a Government training course many years ago and gloves were forbidden in any of the workshops that had rotating machinery and included the truck and car mechanics workshops. It was still covered by HSE documents the last time I looked. Things change I suppose but gloves only used to be worn for “rough handling” in the building trades when I was younger. Glove wearing by Americans seems mandatory these days even if you’re only using a screwdriver. thinking

Thread: Sandvik Torx Plus Size
31/05/2020 18:38:44

I’ve bought a dozen M2.5 screws with a driver for about £3 on the auction site. The better ones seem to be made in Taiwan.

Thread: Measuring Set
31/05/2020 15:04:45

I don’t know how this compares price wise buying the individual items but it may be worth looking at for someone just starting out?

Measuring Set

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
28/05/2020 13:12:27

I’ve just had a quick look and it doesn’t look that clever to me.

Thread: Harrison M300 single phase from new
27/05/2020 15:14:22

I must be missing something but why not just run the lathe as it was made? I’ve used an M300 at my old job and are a lovely machine.

Thread: trepan tool?
25/05/2020 10:40:04

Thanks very much for the links folks, I’ll have a look.

24/05/2020 23:03:03

Have you got a link please Pete?

Thread: The sneering detractors
24/05/2020 17:21:01

I very rarely comment on YouTube videos even if I see something amiss. I should do really I suppose but it’s not worth arguing over. Same on social media. The thing I will pull folks up on is rudeness.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest