By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crap vee blocks and "Oxford Precision"?
26/06/2017 13:37:30

We all love to buy wisely and hope to get a bargain price wise, but it eventually becomes apparent that no matter how we scour the marketplace we will usually only get a level of quality commensurate with the price that we pay, unfortunately "inspection grade" is not available unless we pay the right price for it.

Dave

Thread: Transformer temperature
23/06/2017 17:43:42

I have "messed about" with ponds of all sizes for at least forty years and my past experiences tell me that Mick's problem with the transformer will be the load experienced by the pump. At this time of year all ponds will be loaded with small pieces of vegetable matter free floating in the water, when this vegetable matter passes through the pump it will gradually clog the impeller and therefore increase the consumption from the transformer and hence cause the temperature to rise. As well as the vegetable matter accumulating in the pump housing, at this time of year there will be minute water snails that have hatched and probably lodged in the impeller housing, the only way to guarantee reducing the loading on the pump is to regularly dismantle the impeller housing and clean it out, unfortunately at this time of year with a small pump which it appears Mick's is, this may need to be done daily to keep the pump free flowing, and the temperature at an acceptable level. There are pumps that will give better performance with accumulated solids but without knowing which pump we are discussing difficult to comment further.

Dave

Thread: Was in Penrith and this pulled up.
15/06/2017 20:27:32

In 1960 I lived on a farm in Devon for six months, as a thirteen year old I was in heaven, what a great life, used to help the farmer with milking there were a dozen cows which we milked by hand. During my stay there the farmer acquired a new car which was a 1920's Rolls Royce saloon, it was not in concours condition but because the boot lid opened and formed a level platform he found it ideal for carrying his milk churns on the opened lid. Every day he drove up the lane with the churns to leave them for the dairy Lorry to collect. He was regarded by his peers as somewhat eccentric before he acquired his Roller but more so afterwards.

Dave

Thread: How do I adjust the quill?
15/06/2017 12:02:29

Your Chester Micro Mill appears to be similar to the Arceurotrade Micro Mill, probably same manufacturer, if you go on the Arc website, look under milling machines and at the Micro Mill, there is an exploded view available which should show all you need.

Dave

Thread: Brown-out Protector project.
13/06/2017 19:45:24

In reply to Muzzer's question the make of tumble drier was Bosch and was repaired by one of their own service engineers, under a service contract. In defence of the tumble drier it certainly appeared to be a hell of a surge that did for it.

13/06/2017 10:16:02

We had a strange episode with our electrical supply about 12 months ago, sitting watching the TV about 9 o'clock in the evening and suddenly all the lights went very dim for about 30 seconds then there was an almighty surge and we lost all power. This affected everyone in our area. It was off for about 10 minutes and was then restored, unfortunately our tumble dryer was running at the time of this event and when power was restored it refused to run. Subsequent repair by a service engineer found that the heater element and the control panel circuits were well and truly cooked, (expensive replacements, good job insured). Would this event qualify as a "Brownout"?

Thread: BA's VW moment
08/06/2017 17:54:06

Roy's comment about his experience with the Chartered Engineer took me back to my time in the Air Force, we had a variable quality of Engineering Officers, some of whom had never held a spanner, and they were supposedly in charge of aircraft engineering sections, good job we had knowledgeable and competent Senior NCOs who filled the vacuum.

Thread: Sudden Radio Adverts on my computer?
20/04/2017 18:16:01

Strange things radio waves and atmospherics, in the 1960's when I was stationed in Trucial Oman, if we were on guard duty at night we would take a transistor radio with us on to the airfield and in the hour before sunrise we could listen to Radio Caroline loud and clear, but as the sun began to show the signal rapidly faded. Apparently temperature layers in the atmosphere could cause the signal to skip round the earth's curvature. Not much help in solving the original query raised though.

Thread: A bumper week!
13/03/2017 11:25:06

Readers in Australia certainly appear to get a raw deal from their internal postal service but things are not that much better here in UK, if I send a first class letter or packet to my daughter in Wigan from my home in East Sussex it takes usually five working days to be delivered. Complaining is pointless, there always seems to be an excuse and the service never improves, parcels sent by carriers take on average two days for sometimes a lot cheaper than Royal Mail. Moral seems to be use the PRIVATE SERVICES rather than Royal Mail or Australia Post.

Thread: Silver Soldering Long Sections
02/03/2017 14:22:45

Hi Cornish Jack, I served at Sharjah bit later than you in the 60's, spent twelve months there on the airfield. A previous posting was spent on aircraft recovery and transport in the South of England, spent two and half years on that and we regularly used the Scammell Recovery Tractors, as you say quite a beast and very capable of winching a fully loaded Bedford with Queen Mary trailer across a totally waterlogged and very boggy field. Aircraft tend to crash in the most awkward of locations. I look back fondly on the many miles spent bouncing along the roads in the old Scammells.

Thread: Washing Work Clothes
23/02/2017 19:51:04

When I served in the Air Force was posted to a desert air strip in the Middle East during the 60's and when working outside on aircraft, sometimes in near 50 degree heat, all we wore were desert boots and kd shorts, which ended up black with grease and oil. To clean the shorts we used to wash them in a bucket of aviation gasoline and then hang them up to dry, they always came up clean, hate to think what the health and safety implications would be nowadays, I know that nowadays my long suffering wife launders my working clothes from the workshop with soap powder and a liberal dose of Vanish, works for her and she is very fussy about results from the washing machine.

Thread: Workshops
16/02/2017 20:55:48

My workshop is built from a mixture of concrete block walls and ship lap boarding which is insulated for the most part with 4 inch king span type material, heated throughout the winter by a small oil filled radiator which keeps the temp fairly constant, It is about 18 feet by 8 feet with an OSB boarded roof again insulated with king span and felted on the top surface. Machinery comprises of a lathe and two mills and various bench surfaces, sharing space with two stationary engines in various states of assembly, unfortunately there are always numerous projects underway at the same time which means it is far from tidy; my wife is always nagging that it needs tidying and the other day she remarked that I had left the workshop unlocked, my reply was that if anyone ventured in there uninvited then they wouldn't be able to find anything because she always maintained that I could never find things.. Not the correct response!!!

Thread: tool misuse/abuse
14/02/2017 14:13:36

Tool abuse reminds me of a practical joke played on a comrade in the Air Force in the mid 60's; we all wore regulation issue shoes as part of our uniform, these were leather soled and with the passage of time they would need new soles, when they needed new soles we handed them in through the stores system and they were despatched I think to Prison Workshops were they were refurbished with new soles. On their return to the unit we retrieved them from the stores system; on this particular day one of our section collected his shoes from the stores and left them on a table in the crew room, unfortunately when he returned to collect them he found that every lace hole had been filled with 1/8" pop rivets. He spent most of his lunch hour with a windy drill and a pair of pliers removing the obstructions. We could be very cruel in those days..

Thread: Clark CL500m run-out
15/01/2017 21:32:27

During my time at college many years ago (early 60's) I left a chuck key in on the lathe I was using and started it up, the key flew at great speed the length of the machine shop, fortunately it missed all the other students and collided with the far wall; The instructor gave me a severe verbal lashing and as a consequence I am fanatical about stowing chuck keys away from the chucks even though modern lathes have guards which prevent lathes starting with keys in the lathe. We do learn from mistakes!

Thread: Tank Turret in TurboCAD Deluxe
15/01/2017 17:07:23

Looking really good, wish I could use a cad system like that.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
15/12/2016 10:16:24

What will happen once we finally break from the EU, if we buy from them will items be despatched without VAT being charged, as happens with sales taxes in the US, and will we then have to pay VAT on receipt and the handling charge to collect said VAT?

14/12/2016 17:14:20

In respect of Muzzer's post about being fleeced by DHL, I recently received an item through Royal Mail that had been handled by their International Mail Handling Centre in London, I was required to pay a hefty handling charge before Royal Mail would release the item, which had cost me less than half the handling charge. I would be wary of Neil's idea of splitting down the consignment because my experience is that you could end up paying multiple handling charges irrespective of whether any VAT is charged or collected.

Thread: LED "Fluorescent" tubes...
13/11/2016 20:11:49

Extended my workshop last year and installed 2 bog standard fluorescent units for lighting and within a year one unit failed completely, contemplated replacing with LED unit but price put me off, chose to replace it with a high frequency fluorescent unit which was surprisingly reasonable cost. To date very pleased with the light output and it uses standard 4 foot fluorescent tubes so cheap to replace. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Thread: Which Clinometer?
06/11/2016 18:56:11

Remember using a Clinometer in the early 60s for checking dihedral on aircraft wings when I was an aircraft technician in the RAF, once we passed out of training never saw or used one since. I have one of the small digital angle gauges, great bit of kit.

Thread: cast iron
04/11/2016 19:27:17

Looked at the Link, would take a lot of hacksawing to get anything of a useful size for model engineering purposes. I would think as they were cast as ballast weights the quality would be awful, as the ad says good for use as boat anchors.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest