By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warning buyer beware
01/06/2022 09:26:41

David, reimbursement from PayPal is not foolproof, I was scammed by a Chinese seller for an item that cost about £20, the seller sent an item that was worthless and not even related to what was advertised, PayPal sided with the seller and refused a refund. The seller had advertised the item on Facebook, learnt my lesson and do not respond to any adverts placed on Facebook, treat them all as if they are scams. Dave W

Thread: Now What Have I Done? (Odd Display Effect)
31/05/2022 10:25:48

The good old “switch it off then back on” amazing what that can sort out. Dave W

Thread: chips from cast iron abrasive ?
30/05/2022 17:38:54

Our shiny new plastic sink in the downstairs cloakroom developed orange spots when I washed my hands there after machining cast iron it took ages to remove the spots and wife was not impressed when it happened. With time the spots do actually disappear, thankfully. Dave W

Thread: Milk container top colours
27/05/2022 18:07:09

Howard same here for recycling in East Sussex. Dave W

26/05/2022 17:41:47

Just read on the internet that Waitrose are scrapping red and green lids on their milk containers because they can’t be recycled for food grade packaging, in future they will use clear plastic that can be recycled for food grade packaging, well we live and learn. Dave W

Thread: Finnish on Test Piece
26/05/2022 17:36:11

Unsupported length has probably hit a resonant frequency, needs support at outer end to eliminate the chatter. Dave W

Thread: Milk container top colours
26/05/2022 17:31:40

Well after Colin’s comment then perhaps not for those who are colourblind. Dave W

26/05/2022 16:38:02

Perhaps colours chosen to help those afflicted with colour blindness, just a thought. Dave W

Thread: Nostalgic moment
25/05/2022 13:48:29

Bazyle, I am glad I am not alone with memory problems. Dave W

Thread: My mobile has "gained" an extra synbol
25/05/2022 11:23:33

The symbol probably means that you have a message left on the phone by a caller, how you get access to the recorded message I am unable to help with as I am not familiar with Nokia phones, but someone will be along soon and will be able to help I have no doubt. Dave W

Thread: Nostalgic moment
24/05/2022 14:14:38

My first car, after motorcycles, was a 1954 Ford Popular with the side valve engine, registration was DHC 521 if anyone knows of its whereabouts let me know. I acquired it in 1966 and during the time I had it I changed the engine with one that I had reconditioned, it was a very reliable mode of transport, I used it every weekend commuting back and forth from my camp when I was in the Air Force and in the cold weather when the 6 volt battery was a bit short of amps there was the starting handle stowed conveniently under the bonnet. I was not all that fond of the rod operated brakes, gave me few frights, but I have good memories of its time with me. Dave W

Thread: The perennial question...
23/05/2022 10:33:04

Alec, I think it is not fair to assume that all Chinese lathes are cheap and nasty, I have a Warco BV20 lathe, which is manufactured in China, purchased quite a few years ago, it has a geared headstock and all the change gears are steel. It has given me exceptional service and the only problem encountered was a failed NVR Switch which was easily replaced, my only criticism, and I am probably a perfectionist, is that the gears in the geared headstock have always been noisy, probably because they are manufactured to a price and are not ground, however as time has gone on the gears seem to be less noisy but that is probably because I have got deafer, I do have a severe hearing loss now. So don’t discount Chinese lathes out of hand based on one bad experience, Chinese lathes are capable of producing consistent and excellent work. Dave W

Thread: This trolley/cart could be useful
21/05/2022 19:15:06

Anthony, I have had the same B&D version that you have, bought ours many years ago and it has given sterling service, has carried 500 kilos at times and still going strong. You may think it is crap but I looked around for a potential replacement when it finally gives up but versions on the market now are crap in comparison, I think I will give ours a repaint and overhaul. Dave W

Thread: Oil can (again)
19/05/2022 22:01:46

Further to my post above the oil can that I ended up buying, and yes it was a cheapo, came from the website of the National Motorcycle Museum, it carries an advert for Castrol oil and is in the company green colour, it does dribble but nowhere near as much as others I have had in the past, it has a flexible spout so it easily reaches the push button oilers on my machines, I wouldn’t be tempted to replace it with an expensive one it does the job. Dave W

19/05/2022 11:16:35

Oil by its very nature is made to penetrate incredibly small and tight clearances to function as a lubricant, you will never stop it finding its way out of threaded items such as oil cans or guns, all threads have some degree of clearance hence oil leaking out. I just use a cheapo oil can and wipe up the dribbles and store any containers with oil in them on drip trays. Like Dave’s mine also isn’t a clean sparkly workshop, it’s lived in, just put up with oil dribbles, you will never get rid of them. Dave W

Thread: Wyvern crankshaft question
16/05/2022 09:44:30

I remember my Matchless G80 crankpin had thin nuts locking the outer ends of the crankpin. Dave W

Thread: Re-boring Grind Wheels
14/05/2022 19:00:34

Definitely moulded, you can see that if you look closely at the wheel before mounting it. Dave W

13/05/2022 09:48:31

Because of the serious consequences that can happen with a grinding wheel accident I wouldn’t tamper with a wheel, just buy new and as recommended go for quality product, your life is too precious to take risks with, grinding wheels when they explode can kill. Dave W

Thread: Gallium
07/05/2022 19:06:27

If it reacts with aluminium like mercury does then it will be deadly with aircraft. We had an aircraft where a stone jar of mercury was smashed in the freight bay and before long we could see daylight through the holes it made in the aircraft pressure skin. Dave W

Thread: Emergency Radio Format
03/05/2022 17:44:34

I find it incredible that our nuclear deterrent could rely on the broadcasting of BBC radio 4 with our sophisticated communications network that can broadcast underwater, as incredible as I find it, it fits with the quirky way our country operates in many areas. In respect of a nuclear attack, if you are out in the open, you may see the initial flash but will probably be vaporised before the sound of the explosion reaches you. We live in very dangerous times. Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate