By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
07/08/2021 09:50:11

Hi Martin

We seem to have very similar interests in aircraft, my first posting in the Air Force was to a Salvage and Transportation unit, moved a wide variety of historic aircraft around the country,Beaufighter, Mosquito, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Gloster Gladiator, Valiant,Lysander, Messerschmidt 410, Scimitar, Canberra, Lightning prototype P1A, and a V1 flying bomb to name but a few. Also in 1965 we took a Hurricane and Spitfire to the Guildhall in London for the 25th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, the Hurricane was displayed outside in the Guildhall courtyard and the Spitfire we took to pieces and it was taken into the Guildhall itself and displayed as a centrepiece for the function to which many World War Two flying Aces were invited, including the likes of Douglas Badger. The most awkward bit of the Spitfire to get into the Guildhall was the wings, the entrance was pretty small and the wings only went in diagonally across the doorway, we had to carry them in by hand, not easy. The downside of being on that unit was that we picked up aircraft crashes, both civil and military, could be pretty gruesome. Dave W

06/08/2021 19:34:22

Martin,

So far I guess this is probably a one-off, but need to be vigilant. Certainly if I am in my workshop there is no mistaking a Merlin engine when it passes overhead, I always go outside to observe and check on Flightradar24 to see how high it is and which registration it is. Neighbours think I am a bit of a saddo rushing out every time an aircraft passes, but aircraft have been a major part of my working life having spent 22 years working on a huge variety of aircraft when in the Air Force. Dave W

06/08/2021 17:35:44

JA

We have a number of airline pilots resident in the village because we are handy for Gatwick, or we did pre COVID, not sure how many are still employed as pilots, so it’s conceivable that one of their mates decided to do a sneaky low fly past. One of my friends was lucky enough to fly in a two seater Spitfire, wife bought the trip for him as a milestone birthday present, I know he came over the village and did a very low fly past over his house, the CAA can’t keep tabs on every flight so it’s worth the risk. The Spit today obviously had a reason or connection with the village to do a 360 circuit, weather was dry but certainly a bit gusty. Dave W

06/08/2021 13:55:13

Martin

I can assure that he was definitely below 500 feet, I have worked on Spitfires and Hurricanes during my 22 years in the Air Force, he was not displaying IFF on Flightradar24 and presumably it was switched off for a reason, possibly because he wanted to do a low pass, he actually circled 360 degrees over our village then flew South. When Spitfires overfly our village they are usually at about 800 feet according to their data displayed on Flightradar24, just lately we see a number of Spitfire flights, sometimes in pairs, today’s sighting was considerably lower than usual sightings. Dave W

06/08/2021 11:59:30

Just had a Spitfire fly low over our house, I would estimate about 200 feet, checked on Flightradar24 and no ident shown, it proceeded to fly South towards the coast we are about 2 miles from the coast and about 4 miles east of Eastbourne. Was in the workshop busy fettling a couple of bearing pins for my Allchin build when I heard the roar of the Merlin, so dropped everything and went outside to watch. Not unusual to get Spitfires over our house but they usually have an IFF code displayed on Flightradar24 . Ah well back to my fettling then. Dave W

Thread: Broken window key
03/08/2021 09:54:03

In our house a number of top hung vents are always left open for ventilation, ( wife has an obsession for fresh air) consequence is that the locking mechanisms invariably seize solid with corrosion. The monkey metal pieces always corrode as do the plated steel pieces, I don’t know what they plate the steel with but it seems to corrode quicker than the steel it is supposed to protect. I now do an annual anti corrosion check where I coat the parts with preservative and oil the mechanisms with silicon spray. Dave W

Thread: Allchin 1 1/2 scale Traction Engine Shaft Manufacture
02/08/2021 09:44:06

Andrew, as always I am impressed by your attention to detail, your methods have given me much food for thought, however I lack a horizontal mill so manufacturing options are limited, having received information on the various methods it looks like I will be going down the route of the slot-n-key method, here’s hoping that the splines index correctly. Dave W

01/08/2021 09:23:27

Nigel & Clive thanks for your replies,I will go with Jason’s suggestion of milling slots using key steel soft soldered in place, I know that W Hughes would probably disapprove but as long as it all fits together I shall be happy, even if it’s only in one position. Dave W

Edited By Samsaranda on 01/08/2021 09:24:21

31/07/2021 16:55:23

Hi Jason, many thanks for your reply it looks the way to go, your shaft looks very smart. Dave W

31/07/2021 16:37:05

I would value the opinions of fellow modellers, and particularly from anyone who has built the Allchin Royal Chester Traction Engine. My problem is how to manufacture the external splines on the second shaft in the gear train, the shaft is approx 5” in length and it has splines for about a 2” section. These splines are 1/8” wide and there are four spaced equally about a 17/32” diameter shaft, their purpose is to locate the sliding hub with spur gears mounted on it to effect changing the fwd speed of the machine. Unfortunately I do not have access to a broach, nor do I have the means to manufacture and use one. My first thought was to slot drill the shaft and use 1/8” key steel silver soldered in to the slots, then my thoughts progressed to a vision of the shaft ending up like a banana with all that heat applied, so I thought the key steel could be soft soldered into the slots or even use the correct engineering adhesive to secure the key steel / splines, once assembled with the sliding hub there is no way the key steel could part company with the shaft, I realise that the splines would need to be a good tight fit in the slots, or has anyone got any thoughts on this or of any other method of achieving the objective. Dave W

Thread: ARC Eurotrade
29/07/2021 14:52:34

I ordered some castings from another supplier last evening and they rang me at lunchtime today as the payment by card had failed so I gave the details over the phone and it went through fine, seems it must have been a glitch which affected online cards in general. Dave W

Thread: Water Pump Modified Into A Steam Engine
29/07/2021 09:49:13

Links don’t work for me either. Dave W

Thread: New idea of engine and security window idea
28/07/2021 21:12:24

Dragons Den! Dave W

Thread: GigaFactory
24/07/2021 09:52:04

In respect of charges for electricity supply works, our house is only single phase but 20 years ago we moved our meter from indoors to a box on the front of the property, this required a new cable joining the supply cable, the old cable was redundant. We were required to carry out all the excavation work necessary to expose the supply cable where the joint was to be placed and the trench to the front of the house. All the electricity company did was cut the supply cable, make the joint and connect the meter, I can’t remember the exact cost but I remember thinking that it was excessive for the work carried out. In contrast, at the same time we had the gas meter moved to a similar location , requiring similar works, I remember that the costs for the gas work were a fraction of that charged by the electricity guys, and they didn’t act like primadonas either. Dave W

Thread: Dewpoint
20/07/2021 12:35:17

Just illustrates how humid the weather is currently, it’s certainly very oppressive here in Sussex, we had a thunderstorm last night but it didn’t clear the air much. Dave W

19/07/2021 09:28:40

I live in a small close of 22 houses and the garages are located remotely from the houses and are without power supplies so an EV is currently not a possibility until power is laid on to the garage, which although the underground cables are fairly close, will be an expensive project. I recently, 3 years ago , invested in 4kwh of solar panels on the roof of our house and on sunny days like those we are enjoying currently the panels produce in excess of 25 kWh per day, this means that all laundry and dishwashing and baking can be completed with free electric if the timing is right. 2 years ago I added 7.4 kWh of batteries which provides a useful buffer when using a lot of energy during the daytime period. It also means that invariably I have full batteries when the sun goes down so some nighttime use is also free energy stored from daytime. Another bonus is that during the winter months, because I have an economy seven tariff, then I can programme the batteries to charge overnight on cheap rate and then use the stored cheap rate electricity during the daytime. The overall effect is that the cost of our electricity has dropped by a significant amount from what it was prior to the solar panels being fitted, so I am glad to be getting some relief from the charges levied by unscrupulous electricity providers. Dave W

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
17/07/2021 11:35:53

Dave you mention that the problem with lead is that it leaches out of landfill into the water supply, I was under the impression that current landfill sites had to be located such that there could be no contamination of water supplies to the extent that a number of recent landfill sites have been constructed with a non-porous membrane as a foundation expressly to protect from contamination of water supplies. The mind boggles at what sort of nasties could be dissolved in our drinking water. Dave W

17/07/2021 11:19:35

Yes Vic you may have a 100 amp supply but what about all the other premises on the same supply line, could the cabling cope with everybody drawing close to 100 amps, I fear not. Cabling in most locations would need to be updated to cope with the projected loads, this will all take time, which I fear has not been programmed into the timescale that is proposed. I see a similarity here to the upgrading of computer systems in many public departments that went horribly over budget and time and cost billions more than was budgeted. Dave W

Thread: Garmin sat nav
16/07/2021 10:19:40

My son in law has an Audi, can’t remember what model but it’s huge, anyway he got frustrated with its onboard sat nav system, it would always give the exit required at roundabouts counting round against the traffic flow, most confusing, he came to the conclusion that as it was a German car then the sat nav had been set up for left hand drive he tried but could not see how to recalibrate it to right hand drive, now he uses his IPhone for navigating. Dave W

15/07/2021 16:43:48

I think the overwhelming theme that I get from the above postings is that a political target has been declared and nobody has any plan how to get there, I worry that our electricity infrastructure, which is at present fragile, will never be able to be upgraded to cope with electric cars and the enforced move from gas heating to electric in the timescale. I also see there being the inevitable “class” division between those in future able to purchase and maintain EV’s and those who cannot, being consigned to “public transport” it will not accord well with the current mantra of “levelling up” society, could be trouble ahead methinks. Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest