By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Commercial Ad in the For Sale column
02/09/2021 09:42:00

Seems we have another commercial ad that has crept in the for sale column, this one is again for McAfee products, a moderator needs to check. Dave W

Thread: Is the EV industry in too much of a hurry ?
01/09/2021 09:38:46

This problem makes me very wary of sitting on top of a massive battery pack in an EV, if you count back a hundred years or more I suppose the same could be said of those pioneers who ventured onto the roads with a tank full of highly flammable petroleum spirit, we accept that nowadays without thinking. It will take a long time though for me to be converted to an EV, mid seventies now so perhaps I will be able to see out my driving years with an old fashioned internal combustion engined vehicle, yes I am a dinosaur. Dave W

Thread: Cannot log in!
01/09/2021 09:24:29

It happened to me a while ago so I found that if I set up a new registration but used the same details and password it solved the problem. Dave W

Thread: Is your name on a knife [Database]
25/08/2021 09:28:35

My family name is Wragg and my ancestors were Sheffield folk and at least one of them was employed in the cutlery trade so the link made interesting reading. Dave W

Thread: Age and Realisation
24/08/2021 12:04:17

Must be about ten years ago I acquired a partial Allchin Traction Engine from a deceased modellers workshop, the horn plates had been made and drilled ready for assembly as had a number of other components there was also quite a few unmachined castings. Unfortunately the boiler was not among the components inherited so I need to tackle that. The parts had lain dormant in my workshop since acquiring them, the wife continually nagged about building it and finishing it so I have now started in earnest on its completion, to convince the wife that I will complete it before age and infirmity prevents me from so doing. The problem that I have is that the remaining castings that need purchasing are not cheap so I have to sneak the orders through when wife is looking the other way. Really enjoying the challenges with some of the machining, but I can understand where Tug is coming from with his models, he has done some excellent work so far. Dave W

Thread: Dividing this would have been an interesting exercise !!
15/08/2021 11:59:00

Michael’s link at the top of the page lists one of the users as Oak Ridge from 1931 to 2005. Oak Ridge was the premier nuclear facility for preparing enriched uranium for the Manhattan project and the USA’s subsequent nuclear Arsenal, could there be a use for this item that we are not considering? Dave W

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
15/08/2021 11:47:31

My workshop is well insulated in the walls and roof but has a large window facing south so problems with heat when the temp is over 20 degrees. To combat any heat buildup I shade the window and open it and place a small box type fan I the doorway which is left open, the resulting current of air keeps the inside cool enough to work comfortably. An aside to the workshop heat problem, we have a large conservatory which faces South West and was getting unbearably hot in the afternoons, so much so that it was uncomfortable to use then. We bit the bullet and earlier this year the polycarbonate roof was replaced with a white UPVC panelling which is insulated internally with polystyrene, the difference is amazing and the conservatory is now usable all the time, the underside of the roof panels are always cool to touch. Dave W

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
15/08/2021 11:26:28

Martin

Point taken, we all suffer from the same scrutiny from wives. Dave W

15/08/2021 08:38:52

Martin

I find that Flightradar24 is very useful for those aircraft that you hear but can’t track , it’s free and easily installed on a phone or IPad, if I hear an aircraft and can’t see it I use Flightradar24 and as long as the aircraft has IFF then all its details will display. Been watching a drone on Flightradar24 this morning, it’s flying out of Lydd and is tracking up and down the Channel from Folkestone to Hastings, no problem guessing what it is looking for. Dave W

Thread: Commercial Advertisements
14/08/2021 18:52:00

I see that we have a commercial advert in the For Sale adverts from mcafee, Moderator needs to take it down. Dave W

Thread: Consequences of Machining Cast Iron
14/08/2021 13:45:03

Further update, wife has completed her weekly in depth clean of both bathroom and downstairs cloakroom, no mention made of orange spots, I must admit they have faded and are only visible now if you really search for them, so I think I can breathe again they were not seen. Dave W

Thread: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada
14/08/2021 10:18:32

Steven

I envy you having a basement in which to setup your workshop, only a few houses in UK have cellars or basements, usually in older Victorian or Georgian houses. Our modern housing stock is usually built for cheapness and cellars are an expense not catered for. Visited Canada a couple of times when I was in the Air Force, very impressed how much more friendly and laid back the Canadians were than south of the border in the US. Good luck setting up your workshop. Dave W

Thread: Consequences of Machining Cast Iron
12/08/2021 23:45:48

Much useful advice being preferred which I am taking on board. Dave W

12/08/2021 21:10:51

Pete

Thanks for the info, never heard of “Iron Out” must be worth a try. Dave W

12/08/2021 20:22:49

This story starts about 18 months ago at the start of the first lockdown, we had our downstairs cloakroom completely refitted, everything was renewed and it looks very smart and the wife is very proud of the result. For the last ten days I have been machining cast iron castings in the workshop, it is a very mucky job but the end result is very pleasing, as long as you don’t hit too many chilled areas. Usually when I come indoors from the workshop I wash my hands in the kitchen sink, which is stainless and easily cleaned afterwards, sometimes the kitchen sink is otherwise occupied and that means I use the downstairs cloakroom which has a small rectangular plastic composition sink. When I washed my hands last evening I could see some little orange dots on the bottom surface of the sink. These dots appeared to be fixed to the plastic surface. It didn’t take much working out that the dots were from tiny particles of cast iron that had washed off from my hands when cleaning up after machining in the workshop. My first thought was panic if the wife sees rust marks in her cloakroom sink then I’m dead, so I got some cleaner to remove the evidence, I used a well known “Lime and Grime” cleaner because it was non abrasive and wouldn’t damage the plastic, it was only partially successful, it removed most but there were a few dots remaining but nowhere near as conspicuous as before, I reckoned that as the wife has cataracts she would probably not see the few remaining dots, fingers crossed. I hope this helps stop anyone else suffering the same problem.

Unfortunately have upset the wife in the past when she had one of her pristine white classical garden statues located adjacent to my workshop door and I had been using a grinder to shape some steel pieces and the dust from grinding drifted towards her statue, everything looked fine until a couple of days later after it had rained and the statue ended up with orange spots on her feet. That episode ranks alongside the one where I was using my hand held grinder in the garden near the rear porch and wife subsequently found particles of metal embedded in the double glazing, I will have to stop living dangerously. Dave W

Thread: Steel Prices
10/08/2021 16:59:32

So has timber and insulation, more price rises in the pipeline apparently. I shoot clay pigeons and cartridge prices are zooming up as well, supposedly shortages of lead shot and primers, I think it’s all being blamed on COVID and Brexit, harks back to the decimalisation scams in the 70’s. It appears prices will rise to whatever the market will accept. 🤔. Dave W

Thread: Service
07/08/2021 14:23:52

I think the service from the postal system depends very much on where you live and where your goods are despatched from. I ordered some castings from Reeves, they were despatched on Monday and the Postie handed them to me at lunchtime today (Saturday). I am not complaining just illustrating the differences that exist, however if I order from Arc then usually items arrive next day. As long as the items arrive then I am happy, in some countries the postal systems are so corrupt that a fair amount of items just disappear when in transit, have heard this is a particular problem if living in Russia, let’s be thankful for small mercies. Dave W

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
07/08/2021 14:08:49

Martin I see from your profile that we have something else in common, Lister Stationary engines, I have a Lister A and a Lister D in my workshop which I am hoping to resurrect to life someday. Dave W

07/08/2021 14:05:57

Martin

I spent 8 years working on Britannia’s in the Air Force, was at Lyneham carrying out major servicing then at Brize Norton working on the line squadron, flew to the continent and also Canada and the US with them, they were a big part of my working life. Remember having an aborted takeoff at the Naval Air Station New Orleans, was sitting in a spare seat on the flight deck when that happened, certainly wakes you up when your hurtling down the runway with full brakes and reverse pitch hoping you don’t end up in the swamps at the end of the runway, cause for the abort was a spurious jet pipe temperature overheat. Certainly had good times in the Air Force and would do it all again in a flash. Dave W

07/08/2021 10:30:02

SOD

Must have been quite sobering for him. I know after serving on the Salvage unit I wasn’t too keen on flying for a while but the effect soon moderated, good job really because later in my service I had to fly 12 hours non stop from Ascension Island to Port Stanley in a Hercules with in flight refuelling, a mind numbing flight. Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest