By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Putting the clocks back
25/10/2020 08:36:30

Further to my post above about my clock putting itself back 2 days early, this morning it was functioning as it should showing correct time and the alarm went off as normal, very strange.
Dave W

Thread: De-magnetising
24/10/2020 21:16:39

About 30 years ago when working in the inspection department of a manufacturer that produced equipment using magnetic drives we had a large coil demagnetiser for demagnetising certain components, I was using a bowers tri point micrometer and it was so magnetic that it had a nest of swarf clinging to it so I thought I would use the demagnetiser, that’s was ok but I forgot that with so much current flowing in the demagnetisers coils the bowers mic heated up very rapidly, so rapidly that it got so hot I nearly dropped it. I learnt from this experience how quickly a coil can generate heat, the mic was certainly demagnetised though.
Dave W

Thread: Putting the clocks back
24/10/2020 19:57:08

With the clocks going back tonight (02.00 hrs) I woke yesterday morning and the bedside alarm radio had reset itself one hour behind, creepy as the clocks don’t change until tonight. The clock in question is one set by a radio signal so should always be right, I switched it off yesterday to allow a reset when I switched it back on, however it reset to minus one hour again so I am leaving it as is to see what it does tonight when it should reset by radio signal to winter time. Anyone else had their radio signal clocks misbehave.
Dave W

Thread: Looking for recomendations.
19/10/2020 19:07:59

On my Warco lathe I once had a problem with the chuck guard, the micro switch was not operating, it Had moved slightly and this stopped it operating correctly, once adjusted normal service was resumed and has worked every time in the years since then.
Dave W

Thread: Optimum products?
19/10/2020 15:42:19

I think that in some cases purchasers are dazzled by the mention of German origins in respect of engineering products, not all German products are “excellent quality”. Mercedes Benz cars historically have a far from faultless record in respect of manufacturing defects, they certainly do not top the reliability polls in car magazines, neither do BMW. I think that the mythical German quality is just that, a myth, they are consistently beaten by the quality of Japanese products and now increasingly South Korean, two countries where quality systems have become almost a religion. In respect of machinery for model makers we need to live with reality that at the price we pay for our machines then they will be a little rough round the edges and need some basic fettling and adjustment/rectification to get them working how we want them to, this is all relative to the price we are actually paying for the product.
Dave W

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 16:02:21

When First Utility was taken over By Shell the tariffs available changed markedly with Non Smart Meter Tariffs becoming more expensive and I wanted to continue to enjoy an Economy 7 Non Smart Meter tariff but the only one that was available was a 3 year fixed tariff. I reluctantly took up the 3 year fixed contract but not without complaining bitterly ( I am a grumpy old man ), their attitude was take it or leave it, I wasn’t prepared at that time to trawl around looking for a new supplier, I found most suppliers would only take on new customers with forcing a Smart Meter on them. Having done some limited research on suppliers I am of the opinion if forced to have a Smart Meter then I would probably opt to go with Octopus Energy, if they are still around then, they have some radical ideas which appeal to my philosophy on where energy suppliers should be going. I shall of course be hanging on to my non smart meter for as long as I am able.
Dave W

Thread: DHL Rip Off
13/10/2020 10:15:36

I don’t know if it is relevant but any post and packing charges for an item supplied within UK are subject to VAT and are detailed on the VAT invoice, should it be any different for items purchased overseas ?

Dave W

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 10:01:58

After we had solar panels installed we were visited by an inspector to ensure that the system was installed as it should have been and we were happy, conversation got round to smart meters and his advice was don’t touch them with a barge pole, they save you nothing and can be a source of problems. I am not in favour of Big Brother being able to remotely control my usage.
Dave W

Thread: Shopvac Recommendations (Hoover, Vacuum Cleaner, Dust/Chip Collection)
09/10/2020 19:06:59

I have a Karcher and it performs well, I like the paper bag inside the body which means you can get rid of all the debris in one go, it has phenomenal suction and clears any amount of swarf off machines and will keep the floor clean as well. Don’t regret buying it, previously used an old Dyson upright, forever clogging the hoses with oil and swarf.
Dave W

Thread: advert pane
06/10/2020 14:23:20

Have had this happen in the past, it seemed to cure itself after a while, have no idea what caused it.

Dave W

Thread: New Workshop building
06/10/2020 14:18:47

If looking for windows to fit in the workshop visit local double glazing suppliers, they always have a pile of assorted new windows which the estimator mis measured when quoting, they are only too glad to get some money back on the mistakes, bargain with them because you are very likely the only customer they will get for what are brand new unused but as far as they are concerned scrap.

Dave W

Thread: BOMBSHELL!! ...at last!
30/09/2020 11:01:20

Does the manufacturer have any history regards reliability and quality of product ?

Dave W

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
26/09/2020 10:48:36

In the early nineties I had a serious mental breakdown and it was found to be delayed PTSD from unpleasant work experiences earlier in my working life. I was treated by psychiatrists for a number of years and deemed incapable of returning to normal work, a good friend of mine suggested that as I had worked in engineering all my working life then perhaps a lathe and interest in working models would benefit me, he had a similar background and is a Korean War Veteran and found modelling had really helped him. I purchased a lathe and two milling machines and many more tools and I became engrossed with my new hobby, it helped me to slowly recover to a more normal state. I have always had great affection for felines, We currently have four, and I find that sitting in front of a log fire with cats sitting asleep on my lap is very calming. Our cats are precious to us, real members of the family, we have a largish garden which is fully secured so that our cats cannot get out and roam, we are too near a busy road and two of the cats are deaf so wouldn’t stand a chance in the world outside, they love their garden world. Because my wife has severe asthma problems and I recently had pneumonia we have shielded ever since lockdown began in March to avoid the virus, we don’t miss the contact with outsiders and far from being detrimental to our mental health we seem to have an air of calm within the house which we hadn’t had before. As regards talking to animals, I do it all the time with my cats and so does my wife, it causes confusion sometimes because I never know who the wife’s conversations are addressed to, me or one of the cats. In respect of Covid and mental health issues, as far as our household is concerned we seem to be enjoying the lack of contact with the outside world, life seems to proceed at a completely different pace now, a lot less stress, no time pressures to meet deadlines. If people are suffering mental health issues that they attribute to Covid then I am sure that these issues were already with them and suppressed but because of the changes to lifestyle brought about by Covid then their mental health issues were brought to the fore. Meanwhile I am going to continue chilling out and enjoying life in my little family bubble.

Dave W

Thread: Coronavirus
26/09/2020 09:37:30

It appears that with the onset of the much predicted second wave of the Pandemic Virus, the British predictable reaction is to once again panic buy toilet paper, didn’t they learn from the first wave that toilet paper won’t protect against the virus!
Dave W

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
25/09/2020 11:12:54

Bought the Lidl mains cut off saw last year and have found it very good at cutting through steel bars, it draws a lot of power and easily trips the thermal trip on an extension lead. When I purchased it the sales assistant, who was Polish, said that some of the Parkside brand products are made in the same factory as Bosch power tools, he said the green plastic used in the casings was a clue, I took it with a pinch of salt but when you look at the origin of some of the Bosch products you find they come from factories in China, Poland, Austria etc. The global marketplace !

Dave W

Thread: Restoring a wooden tool box, help needed
25/09/2020 10:49:31

I used Aerolite when I built a canoe, about 60 years ago now, I found it a good glue to use and it’s pedigree speaks for itself having been used to hold De Havilland Mosquitoes together.
Dave W

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 15:11:58

Nearly forty years ago when CB radio was all the rage my middle daughter was addicted to it, had her setup in her bedroom and a large mast on the side of the house. One of our neighbours complained bitterly that her transmissions were interfering with his tv reception, I said that my daughters equipment was in compliance with the necessary specifications and no one else was having problems so to solve the problem he could report the matter to the Post Office Department that dealt with such issues, he did and a Post Office expert duly arrived and checked my daughters equipment and transmissions and found no problems, he then checked the neighbours receiving aerial and found that it was basically old and knackered and apparently there was a very high resistance connection and this was receiving the CB signal as interference. It just shows interference can occur in the most unexpected situations.
Dave W

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 08:54:15

When I had a delivery from Australia, to my address in UK, I received notification that it was being held at Gatwick and I had to make an online payment to cover the duty and admin costs and then it was released and delivered. Deliveries from China have never attracted any duty costs because irrespective of the value of the item the customs label states contents value as 5 dollars, its the Chinese way of avoiding any customs duty for their customers.
Dave W

Thread: Reminiscences
20/09/2020 15:30:23

Peter your mention of radio Caroline reminded me that when I was in the RAF and posted to Sharjah, a desert airfield which was in what is now the UAE, we could listen to Caroline for about an hour before dawn because the temperature and atmospherics meant the signal would skip round the globe and we could pick it up on our trannys when were on guard duty out on the airfield, this was in 1967.

Dave W

Thread: Hi
19/09/2020 10:37:22

Hi Gwyn, I have a Chester Champion V20 mill, which is Chinese, I have had it a few years and have no complaints it serves me well, that said it isn’t a “ Rolls Royce “ so has a few rough edges. I have fitted DRO’S to it and this modification means that I can ignore backlash, I also fitted two small fan units (computer fans) to the motor shroud to give extra cooling when taking heavy cuts in the summer, my workshop can get very warm when the sun shines. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Chinese machinery, for its price the quality is good, you may of course prefer a bigger mill such as a Bridgeport but that is a different class of machine altogether.

Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest