By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where do the parcels go ?
09/01/2021 10:25:42

It’s very worrying that increasingly parcels from Amazon are now being delivered by Hermes, my experiences of Hermes in my local area are not good with lost and misdelivered parcels, definitely proportionally more problems with Hermes than other carriers.
Dave W

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
31/12/2020 09:57:53

Hi Noel

I stand corrected, was under the impression the battery was Li ion, checked the vacuum cleaner and it is Nimh, doesn’t change the price they are asking though, will pm you.

Dave W

30/12/2020 18:53:51

Xmas was quiet just the two of us, wife and I, because we are now in Tier 4. Today I was being a good boy and doing some housework, went to use the handheld battery operated Dyson vacuum cleaner and it ran for 30 seconds and then ran out of battery, I knew it should have been fully charged as I had just taken it off it’s charging platform, and yes the charger had been connected and switched on, in fairness the battery had been rapidly declining of late, provisional enquiries on pricing a replacement battery are about £60. To compound our vacuum cleaner woes we also have a Bosch upright battery cleaner and that is showing signs of battery distress, enquiries on the price of a replacement battery are that because it is a super duper 20.5 volt battery then price is £140, I consider that a staggering price for a clutch of lithium ion cells taped together and stuffed in a plastic enclosure, most likely made in China and sold wholesale for a pittance. So if we go into lockdown someday soon I will have some repairs to keep me occupied.
Dave W

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
22/12/2020 19:36:09

Martin C

My time on Hawks was at Chivenor but also worked on Hunters at Brawdy, I was NDT at the time.
Dave W

22/12/2020 16:55:58

Martin C

Re: the adour engine fitted in the Hawk, I inspected many of them in situ, there was a problem with the trailing edge of second stage compressor blades cracking, which could lead to disastrous consequences if not detected in time. We used to inspect the engines at I think every 20 flying hours if my memory serves me right. The only way to inspect the engines while fitted in the aircraft was to be fed down the engine intake with your eddy current equipment to test the blades. If you ever see a picture of a Hawk aircraft just look at the size of the engine intakes, they are not very big, safe to say that I was a lot thinner in those days, the early 80’s, and lying prone with your arms over your head inspecting the blade trailing edges, in the dark, and if your unlucky the aircraft has not long landed so you have the heat coming from the engine, not the best sauna I have had. Just one of the interesting jobs that came my way during my 22 years in the Air Force.
Dave W

21/12/2020 19:13:32

Neil

The meteors and Vampires flying today are definitely not flying with their original engines, they will have been changed a few times but certainly their engines far surpass the life of the ME 262’s.
Dave W

Thread: Tracking
20/12/2020 17:31:36

My daughter recently ordered some earphones from Amazon, the parcel followed its tracked route and time and arrived precisely at the appointed hour. When received the parcel was delivered by Hermes, apparently Amazon had contracted them for some deliveries because of the volume that they had for delivery. When received the box had Hermes logo tape sealing on top of the Amazon trademark tape, on opening the box it was evident that the parcel had been opened and then resealed with the Hermes tape, the product packaging inside was empty, the earphones had been removed. Daughter contacted Amazon who without question replaced the missing item. So it appears that it is possible for parcels to arrive bang on schedule whether they are empty or full.!
Dave W

Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners
19/12/2020 11:15:28

Tempted to buy an ultrasonic cleaner but would only need a relatively small one for the workshop, would need one with a stainless inner, have reservations about Chinese Stainless Steel after the experience with our outside lamp at the front door, it has rusted terribly. It seems most of the ultrasonic cleaners originate in China are there any UK brands that are available in the same price range?
Dave W

Thread: My workshop improvements
19/12/2020 10:24:38

Are these real workshops depicted in the pictures in this thread, they are far too tidy, my workshop is what I call lived in, but I can still find things, well might take a while to find! Well done those of you who manage to keep their workshops neat and tidy.
Dave W

Thread: Alternative to 365/office etc.
15/12/2020 11:34:03

John and FC, many thanks for your reply, will definitely investigate as a replacement.
Dave W

15/12/2020 09:12:00

Is Libre Office useable on a Mac computer, have been running MS Word for Mac but it is no longer supported by MS so looking to the future.
Dave W

Thread: Pea shooters illegal
12/12/2020 22:30:54

Guy

I presume you are being facetious about storage of shotguns, because present requirements are a cabinet of specified thickness of steel and two, not one, but two seven lever locks and the whole being very firmly attached to the building structure.
Dave W

Thread: New scam to beware of
12/12/2020 09:55:02

Tony

I am in the process of moving all my contact numbers to my mobile phone because even though we are ex directory we are getting more and more scam calls on the landline. There is another reason why I choose to discontinue use of the landline, I have a moderate to severe hearing loss and find it near impossible to hear on the landline but I can just about hear on the mobile. Unfortunately using a mobile in our area is not easy because since COVID it appears that the volume of use on mobiles has escalated with people working from home, buying online and bored children using their mobiles much more. So far I have been able to avoid getting scam calls on the mobile but for how long, who knows, meanwhile the landline phone is virtually unused.
Dave W

Thread: Message from ARC to our customers in the E.U.
10/12/2020 19:50:15

Trade between the Uk and Eu countries hasn’t always been smooth and without problems, I remember about 25 years ago when working as a Quality Manager at an engineering company producing electrically driven pumps, we were supplying a number of them to a company in Spain. They required us to certify that the electrical side of the product complied with some obscure Spanish regulation, the fact that the product met all required EU regulations wasn’t sufficient for them, not only that they required that all the declarations were in Spanish, this was contrary to EU practice and Spanish was not one of the officially designated languages but English was and always has been. Sorry to sidetrack the thread but it illustrates that our stay in Europe wasn’t always roses but one consolation then was we didn’t have to pay any tariffs to trade with Spain.
Dave W

10/12/2020 14:29:05

Ketan’s link to the Postal Union illustrates why it costs us an arm and a leg for postage from anywhere in the US, I admit that I have bought items from the US, postage on an envelope full of papers was a surprise, almost more than the papers were worth. It looks as though next year holds quite a few surprises and not all will be welcome.
Dave W

10/12/2020 10:24:14

Chris B,

I have bought many items from China and never been charged any customs duties, I think because the descriptions on the customs declarations never match what is contained in the packages and the value always seems to be between 5 and 6 dollars, again not relevant to the actual value. It seems that this is an agreed practice with Chinese traders coupled with the myth circulating that the Chinese government controlled Postal Service subsidises postal exports to encourage foreign trade. I have no complaints about the system which sometimes can be extremely slow; I do not see a similar situation being in place with any EU country and as Ketan has so precisely explained there are going to be substantial costs for trade with them. My intention with this post is not to denigrate the situation with trading with Chinese companies but purely to lay out the facts as they are, I am certainly not knocking anything Chinese.
Dave W

Thread: The demise of Australian Model Engineering Magazine
09/12/2020 17:54:52

When I visited Oz about twelve years ago I picked up a couple of copies from a newsagent, I was impressed it was a good magazine, shame it’s gone to the wall, no doubt the accountants got their way!
Dave W

Thread: Next issue late?
04/12/2020 16:20:13

I received my MEW no: 299 yesterday and I can say that I enjoy the old reprinted articles that are now appearing, is it going to be a permanent ?
Dave W

Thread: Speed limiters for cars from 2022?
04/12/2020 16:11:02

I have a 2016 Honda Jazz automatic and it has a speed limiter that reads roadside signs and sets the speed limiter, it is optional to use it, I always use it around towns. The system is powered by a laser module fitted high up on the windscreen and it scans the road signs as you pass them, not 100% foolproof, there is a junction locally that is in effect a Y shaped junction and when passing it the unit scans a 30 limit sign on the intersecting road and because the major road has a 40 limit, all of a sudden the car slows down, not ideal for those following, especially tailgaters. You can override the system easily by kicking down the accelerator and the limiter will disengage or you have a steering wheel switch that also engages or disconnects it. The components of the system are well proven and would easily be fitted to all cars when it becomes mandatory, I really like the system and feel it may well have saved me from prosecution for speed transgressions on more than one occasion, so easy for your speed to drift upwards without realising it. As for EU regs affecting our roads after we finally cut our ties, we will be selling products in the EU so I think I remember the politicians agreeing to follow EU regs where it concerns the specs of cars, I may be wrong but it would be the easy way to continue seamlessly selling our cars over there.
Dave W

Thread: Yet another Scam
03/12/2020 09:23:23

Today I received an email that purports to come from Amazon, stating that due to unusual activity on my Amazon account it has been locked until I connect with the link in their email to update and verify my account details. First time I have had a scam on Amazon, have had the usual PayPal one, just thought I would let you all know that there is another scam to watch out for, although maybe many of you have probably already encountered it. I think the rule is if you get any emails like these then go direct to Amazon, PayPal or whoever and check with them, don’t use the links in the emails, we need to be more vigilant than ever during the pandemic as cybercrime has gone through the roof.
Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest