By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New idea of engine and security window idea
28/07/2021 21:12:24

Dragons Den! Dave W

Thread: GigaFactory
24/07/2021 09:52:04

In respect of charges for electricity supply works, our house is only single phase but 20 years ago we moved our meter from indoors to a box on the front of the property, this required a new cable joining the supply cable, the old cable was redundant. We were required to carry out all the excavation work necessary to expose the supply cable where the joint was to be placed and the trench to the front of the house. All the electricity company did was cut the supply cable, make the joint and connect the meter, I can’t remember the exact cost but I remember thinking that it was excessive for the work carried out. In contrast, at the same time we had the gas meter moved to a similar location , requiring similar works, I remember that the costs for the gas work were a fraction of that charged by the electricity guys, and they didn’t act like primadonas either. Dave W

Thread: Dewpoint
20/07/2021 12:35:17

Just illustrates how humid the weather is currently, it’s certainly very oppressive here in Sussex, we had a thunderstorm last night but it didn’t clear the air much. Dave W

19/07/2021 09:28:40

I live in a small close of 22 houses and the garages are located remotely from the houses and are without power supplies so an EV is currently not a possibility until power is laid on to the garage, which although the underground cables are fairly close, will be an expensive project. I recently, 3 years ago , invested in 4kwh of solar panels on the roof of our house and on sunny days like those we are enjoying currently the panels produce in excess of 25 kWh per day, this means that all laundry and dishwashing and baking can be completed with free electric if the timing is right. 2 years ago I added 7.4 kWh of batteries which provides a useful buffer when using a lot of energy during the daytime period. It also means that invariably I have full batteries when the sun goes down so some nighttime use is also free energy stored from daytime. Another bonus is that during the winter months, because I have an economy seven tariff, then I can programme the batteries to charge overnight on cheap rate and then use the stored cheap rate electricity during the daytime. The overall effect is that the cost of our electricity has dropped by a significant amount from what it was prior to the solar panels being fitted, so I am glad to be getting some relief from the charges levied by unscrupulous electricity providers. Dave W

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
17/07/2021 11:35:53

Dave you mention that the problem with lead is that it leaches out of landfill into the water supply, I was under the impression that current landfill sites had to be located such that there could be no contamination of water supplies to the extent that a number of recent landfill sites have been constructed with a non-porous membrane as a foundation expressly to protect from contamination of water supplies. The mind boggles at what sort of nasties could be dissolved in our drinking water. Dave W

17/07/2021 11:19:35

Yes Vic you may have a 100 amp supply but what about all the other premises on the same supply line, could the cabling cope with everybody drawing close to 100 amps, I fear not. Cabling in most locations would need to be updated to cope with the projected loads, this will all take time, which I fear has not been programmed into the timescale that is proposed. I see a similarity here to the upgrading of computer systems in many public departments that went horribly over budget and time and cost billions more than was budgeted. Dave W

Thread: Garmin sat nav
16/07/2021 10:19:40

My son in law has an Audi, can’t remember what model but it’s huge, anyway he got frustrated with its onboard sat nav system, it would always give the exit required at roundabouts counting round against the traffic flow, most confusing, he came to the conclusion that as it was a German car then the sat nav had been set up for left hand drive he tried but could not see how to recalibrate it to right hand drive, now he uses his IPhone for navigating. Dave W

15/07/2021 16:43:48

I think the overwhelming theme that I get from the above postings is that a political target has been declared and nobody has any plan how to get there, I worry that our electricity infrastructure, which is at present fragile, will never be able to be upgraded to cope with electric cars and the enforced move from gas heating to electric in the timescale. I also see there being the inevitable “class” division between those in future able to purchase and maintain EV’s and those who cannot, being consigned to “public transport” it will not accord well with the current mantra of “levelling up” society, could be trouble ahead methinks. Dave W

Thread: Upvc front door
11/07/2021 11:38:19

Just another example of the throwaway society that we live in, no wonder the planets heating up with global warning when we are expected to throw away and renew at the slightest sign of problems instead of repairing, Well done John. Dave W

Thread: Garmin sat nav
11/07/2021 11:27:20

I always thought that the primary purpose of the satellite navigation system was for the guidance of nuclear bombers and cruise missiles, the civilian use is coincidental. Anyways I had reason to use my garmin sat nav the other day, the sat nav is I don’t know how many years old, it acted very strangely when turned on, bearing in mind it must be at least two years since last used and it is was plugged into the car electrics, it seemed to take forever to settle down and when it did it seemed to think I was at various different points in the country trying to start my journey. Eventually once the car was moving it seemed to find its bearings and worked ok for the rest of the journey, I don’t think mine has ever been upgraded so working on the original maps. Keep threatening to purchase a new one but whilst I can coax the old one to keep working expenditure is delayed. Dave W

Thread: Uncertainty of Measurement [Global Warming]
07/07/2021 14:59:49

When I made the final payment of my mortgage I asked the building society to continue the house insurance through them but was told that I couldn’t carry on the insurance because my house was in a flood risk area and they couldnt therefore provide insurance. I asked the question how up until the mortgage had been repaid could they insure the house but now it was suddenly in a flood risk area, their reply was well we didn’t use your post code we put in a post code for another area which had no flood risk problems but as it would now be a new insurance policy they had to use the correct post code for the house. I was left speechless, in order to get the commission on the insurance sale for a mortgaged property they had committed fraud. Anyways I shopped around for insurance and found plenty of other insurers who deemed that my house was not in a flood risk area. I also consulted the environment agency flood risk maps and found that the risk line for flooding actually runs about three feet the other side of my front fence which is at the top of a six foot high bank above the road, we are within about 2 miles of the sea and are at 4 metres above sea level, I think the last time there was any water encroaching on my property was during the great flood that occurred during the late 1600’s, so I feel reasonably secure perhaps until the sea level rises a couple of metres, and I probably will be long gone by then. Dave W

Thread: Bureaucracy with a tinge of Madness
28/06/2021 09:47:33

Peak 4, I can assure you that the HMRC website, accessed through the gov.UK portal, clearly stated that a Northern Ireland Driving Licence was one of three items with which to verify identity, there was no confusion it clearly stated this, no confusion with UK Driving Licence. Dave W

25/06/2021 19:38:38

I have grave doubts that those who collect our taxes can grasp simple mathematics, every year I get a refund of overpaid tax, sometimes £100 as has happened this year, sometimes as much as £400 or £500, surely as they know every penny of my pensions then they can work out how much tax needs to be collected, perhaps their calculators are programmed differently to everyone else’s. Dave W

25/06/2021 11:22:26

Thanks for that ega, The letter that I referred to as having received was definitely from HRMC it had a breakdown of all my tax liabilities with my pensions so definitely not a scammer, and my access on line was definitely through the gov.UK portal, I can only assume the problems that I encountered trying to verify my identity are down to stupidity in the setting up of the access criteria, unfortunately not that unusual nowadays when dealing with government departments. Dave W

24/06/2021 13:57:38

Many thanks for all your responses which illustrate a varied spectrum of experiences with HMRC and other government departments. Dave W

23/06/2021 20:23:44

An Other, I second that. Dave W

23/06/2021 19:36:14

Ady 1 Strange that you should mention about Passports, I renew my driving licence every three years, old and decrepit, last time I renewed it my passport had run out but I still quoted my passport and still got my driving licence with my old passport photo on it. In respect of the HMRC website to register for access to my personal tax account, I see that the website is labelled BETA which indicates still under development, there is a questionnaire attached to it which allows you to report problems, which I have now done, wonder if anything will get done. Dave W

23/06/2021 19:09:12

Just as an exercise I tried using the Government Gateway link in Dave’s posting above and ended up with the same three proof of identity choices I encountered before including NI driving licence. I am most careful in avoiding scams and will always use direct access to gov.UK sites, you can’t mistake when you are using the government portal. I have given up in frustration at trying to deal with the idiot choices available, reluctantly will await the refund in six weeks. Dave W

23/06/2021 18:28:07

I notice that the proof of identity list highlighted above in Dave’s posting is the proofs accepted by the “Bona Vacantia” site which is an entirely separate department dealing with unclaimed legacies so not relevant. Dave W

23/06/2021 18:23:23

Definitely not a scam because the letter that announced the refund had a full breakdown of my tax and all the pensions that make it up, also I accessed the relevant .gov.UK sites through the correct government portal. I am at a loss as to why others have been asked to use a UK driving licence instead of a NI one that the website asked me for. I will be writing a letter of complaint to the HMRC to explain the bizarre choice of NI driving licence. Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest