By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Samsaranda

Here is a list of all the postings Samsaranda has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LG TV ... updated webOS
08/04/2021 21:48:51

Nigel, I am unaware of the outcome it was an article that I read, one would hope suitable action was taken. Dave W

08/04/2021 20:50:25

Rob, thanks for the info will investigate. Dave W

Thread: LED Tubes in the workshop
08/04/2021 19:57:52

The supplier that I obtained the LED’s from is a company called International Lamps Ltd. They have a website internationallamps.co.uk, I use them for obtaining the UV lamps for my ponds, always competitively priced and supply reputable brands like Phillips. Dave W

Thread: LG TV ... updated webOS
08/04/2021 19:40:24

To illustrate how our gadgets are working autonomously, we have Sky Q and frequently we find that it has selected programmes to record without any input from me or the wife, such programmes are children’s programmes and obscure subjects that I have never viewed or would have any desire to so I regularly go through the record list and cull any that we haven’t chosen.

Another probably relevant item is something that I came across a couple of years ago. The African National Congress commissioned the building of a new headquarters to cover the whole of Africa and it is located in I think Ethiopia. The Chinese government volunteered to fund and build this headquarters for the ANC.

After the headquarters was completed and in operation one of the IT operatives was working late one day into the early hours of the following day and had need to visit the room where the main servers were located. He couldn’t understand why the servers were all frantically working away when nobody was at work and all the terminals were idle. Subsequent investigation revealed that ever since the system had been commissioned, in the early hours of every morning, all the transactions that had taken place on the computer system the previous day, were downloaded and sent to a computer somewhere in China. I think we were fortunate that we prevented any more Huawei components being incorporated into our 5G communications network. Dave W

Thread: LED Tubes in the workshop
08/04/2021 19:10:37

I was very sceptical of replacing the fluorescent tubes in my workshop with Led replacement tubes because until recently they were very expensive, I found a supplier who was selling four foot tubes, with the led fuse to replace the fluorescent starter for £4.55 plus vat. I decided to take the plunge and fit six in my workshop, fed up with the way fluorescents struggle to start and flicker in a cold workshop until they warm up. The light output is nothing short of brilliant and of course they are at full output in what seems milliseconds, the only problem that I had was that one of the light units was a high frequency unit and you need to alter the internal wiring in order to fit an Led tube. I had to find out what alteration was needed, thinking it must be something complicated, it wasn’t all I had to do was open the light unit remove the high frequency choke unit and this left just wiring the incoming live and neutral to the respective pins on the tube caps and link the caps together. The tubes I fitted are made by Energizer and quote a 30,000 hour life expectancy, I realise this an averaged figure and in reality some tubes may fail before this point but I am more than happy with the outcome, brighter lights and half the energy consumed. Dave W

Thread: Are we being listened to on the phone
03/04/2021 09:39:44

Frances IOM,

Do we need a vaccine passport, aren’t we being tracked by the miniature micro chips that are embedded in the COVID Vaccines!!! 😇. Dave W

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
02/04/2021 14:24:53

As Dave has pointed out the transfer of agencies from the Civil Service to Private Enterprise means that the whole culture has now changed with Profit now being paramount, is that good, does that bode well for the future? Dave W

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
29/03/2021 16:44:21

Ships in the canal only travel at about 5 knots, otherwise the wash would destroy the banks of the canal, hence why it takes nearly a day to transit the length of the canal. Dave W

29/03/2021 10:14:29

Graham,

It was a similar situation when I transited the canal in 1957, was on a British ship and we had just had a military campaign to retake the canal, albeit unsuccessfully, so very hostile situation. I went to Egypt in 1960, visited Cairo and there was still a coolness to British people. We were warned by our tour guide not to go out after dark alone as very likely to get knifed, such was the strength of feeling then. I would put Egypt at the bottom of my list of favourite countries. Dave W

Thread: Honda 125 electrics
28/03/2021 18:06:31

I doubt the battery can run all those lights at full output without the engine running, probably would be a different story if 12 volt. Dave W

27/03/2021 18:06:02

To digress slightly I think that we should all be concerned about the type and volume of information that Amazon is accumulating about us as individuals, to what purpose is the vast database to be put ? Dave W

27/03/2021 09:23:14

Nigel Graham 2

Mobile phones are continually emitting signals as they lock onto mobile phone masts, how do you think that police and security services e.g. GCHQ are able to track the transgressors when they have their phones switched on and then lose them if they switch them off. Big Brother is always with you when you have a mobile phone switched on. Dave W

27/03/2021 09:17:46

PGK

Having seeded those phrase in an internet communication, should you be worried ? 😳

Dave W

Thread: Barrier Creams
26/03/2021 19:36:34

I suffer from contact dermatitis, not from contact with oils and greases but from detergents, gets me out of washing up, to keep my dermatitis under control I use a hand cream called NURSEM, it is available off the net. The formulation requires only a small amount to treat your hands and surprisingly it dries non greasy or oily which is a bonus if in the workshop, although it is not marketed as a barrier cream I have found that it works as one when I use it. The product was developed by a member of the medical profession to combat the effects of continued use of hand sterilising gels. Dave W

Thread: Fake or real
26/03/2021 18:12:15

The Mitutoyo plant at Andover didn’t manufacture anything many years ago when I went there for a demonstration of a CNC Coordinate Measuring Machine which I purchased for the company that I worked for. Andover appeared to be a sales and supply depot. Dave W

26/03/2021 17:50:35

It is an established fact that your mobile phone will listen to your conversations, I don’t mean those using the phone to communicate but any conversation that it can hear, we don’t switch our phones off when not making calls but the phone is still active and able to listen in to what is going on around it, just like Alexa does. Dave W

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
26/03/2021 10:11:52

Have a 16 plate Honda Jazz which has very low mileage, have had it from new, when the manufacturers warranty expired was offered an extended warranty at a reasonable price which I took up. Car went in for an annual service and diagnostics said air con was not working, it turns out it needed a new condenser which was accepted as a warranty item and was rectified, out of curiosity I asked how much it would have cost if it was not covered by the warranty, was told it was in the region of £500. I find it incredible the charges that are now levied by garages, their hourly labour rates are extortionate, having been an engineer all my working life I always serviced and repaired my own vehicles, and friends as well, but age and technology now precludes that. There are devices on the market at very reasonable prices that you can plug into your cars system and it will tell you if the vehicle has any faults and what they are, this could mean you at least can verify if the garages are just ripping you off. Dave W

Thread: Fake or real
26/03/2021 09:35:44

No way it’s real Mitutoyo at that price ! Dave W

Thread: Tea Spoons
25/03/2021 20:03:17

I must agree with Peter that perhaps the chemicals in the dishwasher tablets could be significant in the staining problem. Dave W

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
25/03/2021 19:33:00

In respect of a parallel canal, yes there is one but it doesn’t cover the full length of the canal at the moment, the section with the affected grounding is only single, the parallel section to it has yet to be built, so traffic is definitely halted.

Been through the Suez a number of times and every ship transiting has to take on a pilot before entering the canal, so responsibility for the mishap could be joint between the pilot and helmsman.

The canal was closed for a considerable time in 1957 when it was nationalised by Egypt and we went to war over it. I was on one of the first ships to transit when it reopened, there were quite a number of ships that had been blown up and were pulled to the side of the canal to allow ships to start reusing it.

In 1967 as a result of the June 67 war with Israel, the canal was again closed for a considerable time, unfortunately a number of ships were trapped in there. I was in Trucial Oman at the time and a number of parcels that I was waiting for were trapped as well on board ships carrying mail, I never did receive the parcels so who knows where they ended up. Dave W

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest