By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Wootton

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Wootton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bantam metric leads crew & half nut
30/05/2021 13:15:04

Hi Dan

I bought lengths of Metric leadscrew from a company called Kingston engineering from hull, they also sold nut blanks, no idea of the cost as it was for work and they sorted out the grubby details of money. Was a while ago but i see they have a website. I'm sure there was a firm in Bristol that sold it as well.

Dave

There is a firm called Nobilla that breaks Colchester lathes, but their prices are not bargain basement! However I bought a used Bantam tailstock spindle from them described as good condition, but when it arrived it was as good as new , in fact I think it was unused, so I was delighted. The chap that told me of them said they are very fussy about the condition of what they sell.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 30/05/2021 13:29:03

Edited By Dave Wootton on 30/05/2021 13:34:04

Thread: Advice on moving an Archdale radial drill
29/05/2021 08:36:09

Don't know if this will help but I sold a largeish lathe and the buyer used 1 Tonne transport services of Halifax to collect it, I don't know how much they charged but I was very impressed with the care that was taken in loading the machine and accessories. Phone number is 01422 300129. No connection to them but can recommend, the driver knew quite a bit about machine tools and how to move them.

As far as moving prices go, from two different companies I was quoted around £500 inc VAT to move a Bridgeport 65 miles when I moved house in 2017. I actually sold the machine as it wasn't in great condition and wasn't worth spending the money to move it.

Dave

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
27/05/2021 06:24:12

Lovely job Pete, I remember the initial post and it is good to see the final result, a worthwhile project that has finished up as a useful machine. Very nicely finished and painted.

Dave

Thread: Replacement feedscrew and nut service on Lathes website.
22/05/2021 11:41:11

Hi Rob

Thanks I found it easily following your method, I will send him a PM, another thing added to my meagre computer skills!

Dave

22/05/2021 08:44:53

There was a recent post from I think Robert about replacement feedscrew nuts for his Myford VMC milling machine. I did post a suggestion and he did thank me by PM, but like the idiot I am deleted it and now can't find his post. It was tacked on the end of another thread i think.

Anyway just looking on the Lathes uk machine tools for sale page, as you do, and there is an advert for service to manufacture or recondition feedscrews and nuts, thought it might prove useful information to someone.

Absolutely no connection to them, never used them and don't know anyone who has, but thought it was worth posting.

Dave

Thread: Kennedy Hexacut Model 90
21/05/2021 09:33:50

As Ady says hex bar is easily available, I had one of these many years ago, very worn through years of cutting through copper busbars. I can't remember the details but it was fairly easy to fabricate new guide frames. If I remember correctly one end of the hex guide was cast into an alloy pivot block. I replicated this by machining and fabricating the block from solid and turning hex bar down to a push fit in reamed holes in the block and locating it with grub screws, easy to align using the slider as a guide, nowadays I would use loctite retainer. It was a successful repair and the little saw worked quite well after, now long gone replaced by a chinese bandsaw.

Definitely worth repairing though, they chug away while you do other things, and it wasn't a huge job to do, all the milling was within the capacity of a ML7 and vertical slide.

Dave

Thread: Myford VM-C Milling Machine
19/05/2021 08:22:13

Hi Robert

Try David Anchell at Quillstar he has a stock of various spares for both Myford lathes and mills.

My friend has a well used VMC and a few years ago when he needed a new feed nut he took his old one to Warco and they found a match in their spares.The old Myford in Nottingham he found most unhelpful even though the machine was not very old at the time. Might be worth a phone call to Warco or Chester who sell VMC clones.

Dave

Thread: Pillar drill motor size?
18/05/2021 20:01:10

Hi

I've got a Fobco Star drill 1/2" capacity, just looked at the motor plate and it has only got a 1/3 HP motor (which I know is the original fitted by the makers). I've had it for years and never noticed any lack of power. So unless you are some kind of drill demon I would think 1/3 HP motor would be fine on yours.

Dave

Thread: Tinplate locomotive identification
13/05/2021 12:18:44

They are indeed lovely, quite envious! They look like the sort of thing that LBSC referred to as his "AJAX" in some of his articles, seen them called Birmingham dribblers as well. I once borrowed a reprinted copy of an old toy catalogue from the library, it was for " Stevens Model Dockyard" and contained various models of similar type, I think it dated from the turn of the century ( the19 th!). Might be a place to start googling from.

Dave

Thread: Split block QCTP
10/05/2021 11:16:00

Adrian

If you wish to make your own QC toolpost its worth having a look at the design by the late John Stevenson, very rigid and not much more work to make than the one pictured. I made two sets (on the night shift!) for friends who have Drummond M lathes, even unhardened they are still in regular use many years later. The drawings are available free on the net and can be resized to suit most machines, Just search Stevenson toolpost.

Dave

Thread: New to me Maisie loco
08/05/2021 10:01:09

Hi David

Nice gift! Masie is a great little engine I've driven a couple, nice wide firebox makes it easier to fire and they look pretty much like the full size. I'm sure if you look on the Station Road Steam site they will have some pictures in the archive section of some they have sold in the past. If you plan to build it it's worth having a word with a boiler inspector he will advise on bringing things up to date, some of LBSC's early designs had fittings screwed directly into the boiler plates and other features that just need updating. The Model Engineering Proboards site has lists of drawing errors in many designs, worth checking there's usually a few creep in and it can save a few unpleasant surprises!

If you do finish it we all love a build log!

Dave

Thread: drill chuck recommendations for a bridgeport
05/05/2021 16:54:54

I use a Vertex keyless chuck with an integral R8 shank, used a lot over the last 10 years and still as good as new, very accurate and grips well. Not cheap but very good, came from Rotagrip.

Dave

Thread: Oofle Dust
03/05/2021 15:15:05

Someone please put me out of my misery, was it Sooty? Google failed me just bought up festivals and twaddle.

Dave

I think lockdown is getting to me a little!

Problem solved how come it comes up when the wife googles it with the same keywords, she says its man looking again.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 03/05/2021 15:19:10

Edited By Dave Wootton on 03/05/2021 15:25:21

Thread: Drilled Hole Tolerances
24/04/2021 16:51:57

I'm in your club Larry, had no end of lessons by exasperated co workers when I was an apprentice, even had some from the toolroom manager ( who I believe could walk on water) but have never been able to sharpen a decent drill without using a jig . Lathe tools no problem but a mental block with drills I even had a little help from a tutor on my end of college test.

Can't really explain it although a few years ago after a small eye operation followed by some vision tests which showed that I have little or no 3D vision, which might explain why I've never been able to catch anything or play ball games. Had a lazy eye when a kid ( heard all the jokes about spread to the rest of me thank you!) and evidently the brain misses the 3D bit, more common than you might think.

Well thats my excuse anyway!!!!

Dave

Thread: Just picked up my first mill
24/04/2021 16:25:48

Congratulations thats a very good find, nice little rotary table included, an almost ready to go set up, there's been lots of very good work carried out on the smaller round column machines. As Old Mart rightly says just needs a little planning. I imagine you'll have lots of fun with that little lot.

Dave

Thread: Myford 254 Plus toolpost type
24/04/2021 07:06:56

Just some feedback on toolposts and the new to me 254 plus, I've used it now for a few days with the T00 sized Dixon toolpost and holders from the ML7-R ( this is a combination of Bison and A&R Precision). Despite my reservations about the size of the toolholders for the size of the lathe it has coped extremely well with some fairly chunky backplate turning and another job involving some horrible intermittent cutting.

I've decided to stick with the Dixon post, a decision partly made because I notice R.D.Barret tools are having a sale on genuine Bison toolholders at present, so will stock up on a few more of those. Still think the toolpost looks too small for a big lathe, and this applies also to the only suitable Multifix clone the AS size, but as it works ok I think I'll leave it as it is. Whatever toolpost is fitted the small distance between centre height and top of cross slide limits tool size when used in a toolholder. I do have a T1 size post and a couple of holders somewhere, and in the future might make a solid block to replace the top slide

One of the next things to make for the lathe is a saddle stop I feel lost without one, but I do find the graduated saddle handwheel very useful. Thanks for the useful replies to my original question, they did help in making a decision.

Dave

22/04/2021 14:21:53

Thank you for posting that George, it is extremely useful, particularly the shot with the rule included! I can now make a decent judgement on whether it would suit my lathe. I'm a little concerned that a rear toolpost may get in the way for normal turning, the cross slide is shorter than on my previous Bantam, the post I made for that overhung the back of the cross slide slightly. Even so one always had to be mindful of not running one or other of the lathe tools into the chuck or work.

I never envisaged just a change of lathe would bring up so many dilemma's, seemed such a good idea at the time!

Dave

22/04/2021 10:21:14

Thanks DIY Addict ( I'm more of a home DIY Avoider!)

I'm using the Dixon toolpost from my ML7-R at present, which works ok but does seem a little small for a fairly chunky lathe, I'm going to go for the Pewe AS option, they seem to have the best selection of toolholders to suit the machine. I've used the Multifix type at work and have always been impressed with the rigidity.

Will have to wait until next month, My spending on new tooling for the new lathe has appeared on the domestic radar, which I fear will mean catching up on some outstanding domestic decorating as a kind of smokescreen!

Dave

Thread: 5C collet chuck with integral DI-3 backplate,anyone bought one?
21/04/2021 17:53:09

Hi Tony

Missing zero added, don't usualy need to worry about that many zero's after the decimal point!

Dave

21/04/2021 17:36:36

Thought I would leave some feedback on how I got on with the 5C collet chuck as members were kind enough to reply to my original question, I often wonder how some of the information requests on here play out.

The DI-3 backplate from Gloster tooling fitted perfectly out of the box, lightly bluing the spindle taper and mating face showed good contact, and some tests with a DTI showed it went back the same every time. The Collet chuck from ARC was very nicely finished and the collets fit well and it operates smoothly, fitting to the backplate with the register machined very slightly undersize allowed me to adjust until there was no runout of the internal taper indicated on my best DTI (.0005" graduations).

The collets also from Gloster also showed very little runout, I didn't have enough sizes of nicely ground bars to test all of them but all the more common sizes I tested were less than .0005" most much less. Overall I'm delighted with the setup, hope this is of use to anyone considering something similar.

Edited for the missing zero!!!!

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 21/04/2021 17:51:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate