By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Wootton

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Wootton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 5C collet chuck with integral DI-3 backplate,anyone bought one?
16/04/2021 12:40:21

Decision made today, couldn't find any feedback online about the integral backplate chucks, good or bad so have gone for a separate backplate. I ordered a set of collets and a part finished backplate from Gloster Tooling and the collet chuck from ARC, both suppliers I have had very positive experiences with in the past.

Dave

Thread: Bassett-Lowke
15/04/2021 19:53:27

I agree with all the previous sentiments I'm horrified and bemused that the Bassett Lowke name has been so cheapened by attaching it to such an awful product. Have these people no sense of the history of the company they have taken the name of ?

I'm sure Mr Bassett Lowke is slowly revolving in his grave.

Dave

Thread: Myford 254 Plus toolpost type
15/04/2021 09:47:41

Hi NDIY

Even though it is in the form of a kit of materials and a casting I would still consider completing the Hemingway kit as making one, maybe not quite from scratch. I like the idea of an iron casting for the base and do not consider the kit to be unreasonably priced, I do believe in supporting our better traders of which I consider Hemingway to be one. They have spent time and effort to produce the design and pattern so I would expect to pay more than the raw material cost.

I could buy the materials and make from the solid, but don't think there would be much to be gained, I need to order one of their steady kits so that helps with postage costs.Besides I like making things!

Dave

15/04/2021 06:59:40

Hi Duncan

The rear toolpost I have at present is the GHT one and is on my ML7-R which I need to get around to selling, I did have one I made for the Bantam which was basically the GHT one scaled up but with different mountings to suit the non slotted Bantam crosslide. From memory the indexing turret was made from 3" square BMS , the whole thing was fabricated from steel at work on the night shift. Oh how I miss the big mill and surface grinder now I'm retired!

At the same time I made an one for the works Chipmaster , which was a general use machine, and very few people used the rear toolpost, some had never seen one before which surprised me. I agree it does speed things up when making multiple parts,

The Bantam rear toolpost was passed on to a good friend who had pestered me for years to make him one before the Bantam was sold. I couldn't find a photo, only the ones I took to advertise the lathe, but will look further. The Hemingway kit looks very similar, being an enlargment of GHT's design but is designed for Tee slot mounting ( Colchester provide a number of tapped holes at the rear of their cross slide). I have some large tipped boring tools that do not fit the Myford toolholder, so will make a spare indexing toolblock so I can use them in the 254 rear toolpost.

Dave

Sorry for edits, morning coffee not kicked in yet.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 15/04/2021 07:01:17

Edited By Dave Wootton on 15/04/2021 07:02:22

Edited By Dave Wootton on 15/04/2021 07:03:39

Thread: Bassett-Lowke 2 1/2 inch flying scotsman
14/04/2021 18:26:55

Hello David and welcome to the forum.

You might find it better to start a new thread rather than tacking your post on to an earlier one, things get a bit lost in all the other postings.

Can I suggest you join the National 21/2" gauge Association, very reasonable subs and an excellent little magazine, you will find much help and advice available. I used to be membership secretary and old habits die hard! There is a website with details of drawings and reprints available

There are several of these loco's in the association, I believe that reprints are available from them of the original B-L construction manual, Drawings may be available from the association or Maxitrack who now have all the Greenly drawings. For inspiration have a look at John Baguley's website he has restored several 21/2" gauge engines, I regularly pinch his clever ideas! I was also posting on this forum about restoring a 21/2" loco under "Problems with another president" ( this has stopped for a while as I decided to change lathes and have temporarily destroyed my workshop)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions I'm sure someone on the forum will have an answer.

Dave

14/04/2021 12:12:49

Jason

I'd be more than pleased with that!

I did read your post on that, I think thats decided me to go with the separate backplate to give a degree of adjustment.

Dave

14/04/2021 10:16:57

Ian

Interested in the Pe We tools multifix I like using those, I'll have a look on their website. I do use the Q cut, but I also have a larger Sandvik model that I would like to use, My Myford is fitted with a GHT indexing rear toolpost with the parting tool and a chamfering tool, I find it quick and easy, just a preference I suppose.

Bantam was a great lathe but it was the Bantam 2000 larger model about the same centre height as a Student, Although it was a quiet one I still found it noisy in a garage workshop with a low ceiling, after lengthy machining periods on the higher speeds I found it tiring, and wearing ear defenders or plugs inconvenient. Planning on moving fairly soon and didn't fancy moving it again, fortunately the buyer was well prepared for collection so not too much huffing and heaving to do!

My friend has a very nice Raglan and it seems to be a very capable lathe, he makes reliable injectors on it which must say something of it's capabilities.

Dave

14/04/2021 08:17:45

Hi Pete

I've used Rotagrip many times, but the P-B backplates are finish machined to suit P-B chucks, and a Bison part machined backplate was over £200! They do a TOS backplate at a more reasonable price but didn't have any stock when I enquired. The Warco ones fitted very well and were nicely finished and at a very reasonable price I'm quite happy to wait for them to restock if I decide to go down the separate backplate route.

I just like the idea of an integral backplate to reduce overhang, I've got an ER32 chuck for the lathe which is fine but find it a bit awkward , but that's probably just me. I've used 5C collets in industry and like them a lot, Mainly I only build locomotives, and will be using imported collets so not expecting miracles of accuracy.

Given the low prices for some of the imported equipment i've bought over the years ( mainly from established suppliers) I've generally been most impressed with the finish and accuracy.

Dave

14/04/2021 07:42:04

Hi Chris

I've just installed the 254 and used it for the first time and am very pleased with it so far, I was a little surprised that the larger T1 toolpost can't be used on this size lathe. I've changed from a Bantam and ML7-R to just having one medium size lathe to replace both. You know who's law meant I had many more of the larger toolholders than Myford size ones, the same law required that everything in the workshop be moved at least twice to get the old out and the new in.

I think a Hemingway rear toolpost is the first project so I can use my tipped parting tool which is just too large for the Myford toolholders. Didn't realise quite the amount of upheaval just changing lathes causes I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

Dave

13/04/2021 16:40:48

Just been looking at 5C collet chucks online and when visiting the Warco site to see about a DI-3 backplate to suit, I see they do a chuck with an integral backplate, I wondered if anyone had tried one. In principle it seems a good idea with reduced overhang, but would remove as far as I can work out the ability to tweak the chuck on its backplate. I couldn't find any reviews of the integral backplate ones online.

Having had great problems finding a decent DI-3 backplate in the past for my old Bantam, I found that Warco's were very good and fitted straight out of the box unlike some others! Sadly Warco are out of stock of separate backplates at present.

I'd be interested in anyones experiences please.

Thanks

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 13/04/2021 16:41:48

Thread: Milling machines - western-made s/h recommendations up to 2k
07/04/2021 12:16:14

I'm the same as Tony on the VMC type mill. I've got a Myford VME which is just slightly larger than the VMC, chosen because of its R8 spindle which suits all the tooling I have from when I had a Bridgeport. I've used all manner of mills in industry and am very pleased with the VME which I've had for around 8 years. I had an omnimill at one time but never got on with it, not a bad machine I just found the vertical head a bit springy. My favourite mill ever was a Thiel 158 but they cost a fortune with all the accessories and weigh a ton, you need to be Charles Atlas to change the various tables! My friend builds large scale traction engines on a Warco VMC with no problems, he's even got a huge riser block under the head which looks wrong to me, but it seems to work for him..

Dave

Thread: All the gear, no idea
07/04/2021 08:34:48

Hi Matthew

Sorry for your loss, it might be worth considering using Tony Griffiths of Lathes.co.uk to advertise the machines for you, if you send clear pictures of the machines and their accessories to him he will identify the items, value them and draft an advertisement for you and run it on his website. I believe the charge is about £40 + vat for each machine, less for smaller items. I've sold a couple of machines easily through his site. Also a few years ago we cleared a friends workshop which contained clockmaking and ornamental turning machinesand accessories, odd things beyond my experience, and without Tony's help I think we would have raised much less than we did, a machine tool dealer did make an absolute paltry offerof a few hundred pounds which is what prompted us to contact Tony.  In the end we raised several thousand, no connection but did find his services worthwhile .

Dave

If you email him it's best to phone as well he tends to miss emails I think he's pretty busy.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 07/04/2021 08:37:25

Thread: Using two torches
06/04/2021 06:50:02

Hi Bill

My Sievert regulator has two outlet connections on it, both on the regulated side of the regulator ( if that makesany sense!) so I believe it would be fine to use one regulator with the Y piece after it. I have used two torches from one bottle for boiler and other large jobs with no problems. Might be a problem with the bottle cooling if you tried it with a very small bottle, I've got over the problem of icing by standing it in a drum of water with a garden hose gently running over it, not my idea I watched some roofers do it!.

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 06/04/2021 06:53:32

Thread: Tom Senior s head alternatives?
02/04/2021 13:35:05

Vic

I've seen a very shabby Senior M1 with thick walled tubular spacers machined from round bar in each corner under the column, it looked awful but seemed to be working ok. It set me thinking that maybe that idea with welded in flat bar on each side could be an alternative to finding a solid slab to mount the column on and be dressed up to match the profile of the column.. Never got around to trying it as I sold the mill and bought a bigger machine mainly as I already had R8 tooling, but the Senior was a sturdy and accurate little mill.

Dave

Thread: Milling Cutters for the Novice
02/04/2021 06:43:32

Martin

I can't add anything to the very good advice given above, but if you do need a reference for cutter speeds and feeds the one in Tubal Cains's book "The model engineers handbook" a is very good guide. Mine of other information too.

Happy Milling

Dave

Thread: Think you have trouble losing your chuck key?
02/04/2021 06:33:27

Inspirational and beautiful work William, I am in awe. Thank you for posting this and please keep them coming, this is just the sort of thing I love to see on the forum.

Dave

30/03/2021 20:23:17

Thanks Duncan

That would be why the smaller toolpost is specified then, as you suggest it doesn't look like anything much bigger would fit, not the end of the world as I'm sure the T00 size will do everything I need.

Thanks again

Dave

30/03/2021 19:57:39

I've just gone all extravagant and aquired a Myford 254 Plus lathe, to replace my ML7-R and Colchester Bantam in order to free up some space in the workshop.

I'm a little surprised that the spec for the Dixon toolpost is given as a T00 or S00 the same as the 7 range of lathes, which seem a bit small for the machine, if there are any owners out there, would they let me know what they have fitted please. I need to know whether to keep the Dixon from the ML7-R or the T1 size from the Bantam (same size as Boxford use) Any pointers on suitable size would be appreciated.

I will not get the new machine for a week or so so i can't measure the centre to topslide distance until then. and internet searches have not revealed anything specific to the 254 plus, I imagine the plus refers to the slight increase in centre height.

I'm also very tempted by the Multifix clones available, I've used them at work and like them, so I'd be interested if anyone has fitted one to a 254.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 30/03/2021 19:59:54

Thread: Anyone done any Nickel or Chrome plating of mild steel parts at home?
25/03/2021 06:30:17

A few years ago but I replated a 1930's motorcycle at home using a Dynic kit that was available in the 70's and 80's, agree with Gary that it is very time consuming. The kit I had only did the old fashioned dull nickel which had to be polished after plating, The results were very good and although I sold it a long time ago I know it still looks good today, There is a copy of " the vintage motorcyclists workshop " by Radco available free somewhere on the internet which has full practical instructions, I followed these to the letter. Only problem I had is that sometimes it is very difficult to get the plating to get into internal corners. I imagine that the Gateros kit is much the same as my old Dynic, I used their Zinc plating kit with very good results, if that is suitable it seemed slightly easier to use than the nickel. I enjoyed the whole thing found it a very satisfying process, almost magical!

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 25/03/2021 06:30:52

Thread: Mystery 2&1/2" gauge 2-2-2 locomotive rolling chassis
09/03/2021 18:47:28

Hi John

Hope we didn't put you off too much! worth looking at the Gauge 3 Society and the 2 1/2" gauge association websites. There are some designs for this gauge by Chris Barron of The Locomotive design company that might suit your requirements, he hasn't got a website but will send out lists of his drawings. I know he does a LNWR Jumbo " Hardwicke" ( my very favourite engine!) and Caledonian Cardean amongst his designs, all are coal fired , close to scale and have proper valve gear. Time so short and so many beautiful locomotives!

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest