By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bernard towers

Here is a list of all the postings bernard towers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cladding material
02/09/2021 17:07:25

If you make it from steel sheet why not get it zinc plated after you have cut and fitted it, that way the edges are plated as well?

Thread: Student switchgear
02/09/2021 16:58:27

Craig and derricot washed their hands of me said they didn’t make it any more sorry(that overused word again) and didn’t offer an alternative either or a company likely to help. Found Bernstein’s on the net very helpful with a suggestion and would be better to buy it from an agent, which was local. This is when it goes bad ,ring them with part no say they will ring back but don’t, ring the next day same thing 3rd day I visit them and ask how things are going and why no return calls and they mumble about minimum order costs, so I suggested that was my decision to make. Left them with a flea in the ear and ordered and paid for it from the manufacturers in 15 mins. Will post more when arrives and it is fitted, cross fingers.

Thread: Tightening a Threaded Bolt
01/09/2021 22:04:09

Howard T , Interesting point you made about thru hole helicoils, I used them several years ago and they were called centre nip but when I rang for some recently I was told they were no longer made and to use standard ones!!

Thread: Sheet metal saw.
31/08/2021 21:51:30

If you keep the saw with a low attack angle it has less of a tendency to grab as more teeth are in contact. I do use one occasionally but am not a fan .

Thread: Coolant pump - how to slow flow rate?
30/08/2021 11:20:58

Always told by the Texaco oil rep to stir the water vigorously and drip the necessary amount of oil into the water, he said only way to guarantee total mixing.

29/08/2021 13:23:25

Yes was 3 phase about 30 years ago it’s an ex university machine. Was converted to single phase for me so it’s not done too badly.

29/08/2021 07:48:18

The contacts are burnt out so badly that the overcenter eye on one side of the switch has disappeared, this held one end of of the spring that makes the switch operate quickly. The spring is hanging down off the leg that is not as badly damaged. There are one or two of their switches on our favourite auction site although different shape and size, maybe the internals are the same and switch could be rebuilt in its old casing. Have now found contact details thankyou and will be ringing them Tuesday so job will have to sit in the chuck for a week or so.

28/08/2021 22:16:13

No it’s the off/on operated by the large lever

Thread: Silver soldering cast iron
28/08/2021 15:14:55

Manganese bronze rods are good for cast iron, used to use them on exhaust manifolds.

28/08/2021 14:52:06

fb2d74b2-413d-492e-88d8-cc860621c008.jpegHelp, anyone know where to get replacement switchgear like this?. The lid on the box says Craig and Derricot type CLS. UT

Thread: To Cap It All
28/08/2021 11:05:06

I’m with Jason it’s a worn 1 1/2” x 16, I have done one in the past.

Thread: Choosing a boring head
26/08/2021 11:30:53

Just done a couple of toe bearing bushes for Chevy small block, used polished carbide tips which gave fantastic finish. Oilite from bearing boys as they are only round the corner from me.

Thread: Age and Realisation
23/08/2021 23:02:07

Sorry to hear that Tug, I for one was looking forward to seeing the BR2 completed.

Thread: Reaming a hole
20/08/2021 08:53:18

3.8 the reamer has a lot of work to do!!. I assume it’s a typo.

Thread: Can one buy pliers with parallel jaws that lock like mol
19/08/2021 21:49:46

Look at these Vintage speetog clamps on our favourite auction site.

Thread: Not One but Two Odd items!
17/08/2021 20:48:57

Hair off hides not heads

Thread: Myford 254 Hand Turning Rest
17/08/2021 20:38:23

The only thing with fitting a collar is that you are stuck with one size/ dia of graver, I use several sizes and don’t find height setting an issue as you only have to raise or lower the handle a smigin to find the sweet spot which I find is different for different materials. Nice job though and nice to see someone using them!

Edited By bernard towers on 17/08/2021 20:39:15

Thread: Not One but Two Odd items!
17/08/2021 17:26:36

No 1 Stripping the hair off hides???

Thread: Emco Unimat SL1000 - Modifications.
16/08/2021 18:44:59

Just google mew index it’s all there. If you put Gorin in the search bar it all comes up good luck.

Thread: Dore-Westbury Mill
16/08/2021 17:39:30

I use a stand alone vertical digit slide on my raglan mill with the rest from machine dro. I have checked the vertical and personally can’t fault it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest