By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bernard towers

Here is a list of all the postings bernard towers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boiler Formers
26/10/2021 23:14:32

There is a super heavyweight density fibreboard available, the offcuts I have had in the past are incredibly hard.

Thread: Rust Protection
25/10/2021 21:44:27

My bigger machines are in a 30 x 12 brick garage with no dpc and as I have mentioned before on similar threads that they all use hydraulic oil as coolant with no rusting in the last 25 years!!

Thread: Guided bus lane
25/10/2021 19:50:06

I imagine as his car didn’t have the correct transponder fitted something lifts up out of the road surface hence the damage. You think they would be happy with a picture and a hefty fine!

Thread: Wanted - Someone to make some screws
25/10/2021 19:44:43

By the looks of your screw on the left the tor’s or hex socket will be fairly small for the size screw as there is no real head to be able to rotary broach a decent size into. Surely the screw on the right is a straight mod from a shoulder bolt.?

Thread: GH Thomas S7 topslide improvements
25/10/2021 19:33:00

Yes John, done mine a few years back now and reall can’t imagine life without the mods and as you say screwcutting is a doddle.

Thread: Collets for Myford tailstock
24/10/2021 23:00:22

No 2 morsetaper tap holders are available on our favourite auction site, Ibought 1 and stripped it and made a few for common taps but also use a tapping chuck and most of my tapping is done under power usually fast backgear and using the VFD preset reverse and as the point is reached press he green button and lathe is reversed ejecting the tap.

24/10/2021 22:35:01

I would look into your anti corrosion oil it obviously doesn’t do what it says on the tin. Try hydraulic oil.

Thread: A workholding question.
22/10/2021 17:40:20

I have made all my expanding mandrels but I’m afraid Roy I drew the line at tapered bc mandrels, they are nice and hard and last for ever. On your Homemade mandrels if you fully thread them then internally cone with a LARGE centre drill, make a matching coned washer you get a good amount of outward pressure meaning you are able to remove significant amounts of material.

Thread: Spacing of buttons for making involute cutters
21/10/2021 18:11:03

Martin, The reason being that you would need another tangential toolholder of the other hand. Plus the blank is butted up to the collet chuck nut so no room to get to tother side

20/10/2021 18:38:06

I used the single button method with a twist , the button was a length of carbide mounted tangentially and 1 side of the blank machined then taken off the mandrel and reversed and the second side machined. This was for Wildings turret clock which works very well.125b7937-ed71-499a-a043-67c0154c87ba.jpeg

Thread: Old 1/2" chuck
17/10/2021 20:16:31

I used to have one and the jaws where 90deg vees to take square stock.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
17/10/2021 13:19:04

That looks a handy piece of kit Geoff, I’ve made one for the Myford so looks like I’ll have to make one for the Peatol.

Thread: Super 7 questions
13/10/2021 21:10:07

Fowler’s fury, it’s for length machining

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
10/10/2021 22:03:48

I have something very similar on one of my Peatol and use it with live tooling, it works very well and of course repeatable which is what you are after.

Thread: Paint stripper
08/10/2021 23:21:50

There is a company local to me that supplies the furniture trade, french polish etc. That still sells Nitromores stripper they buy in large quantities and decant it. I wouldn’t think they are the only company in the uk who are doing it.

08/10/2021 23:11:32

I have 5 machines in an unseated and uninsulated garage but don’t suffer with rust problems, I put it down to using hyd oil as a cutting lube.

Thread: Chester Hobby Store sale
08/10/2021 23:05:46

Odd thing to do as they are out of stock with so many items

Thread: Being nice to a vise
08/10/2021 21:15:33

8 or 10 mm washers slid on to a piece of 3 mm bar which rests on the vice jaws?

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
06/10/2021 23:15:52

Roll on Sunday dry and clear here get a run in ther will be less of them for the next few months!!

Thread: Chain Protection Sleeve
06/10/2021 23:12:49

Sorry only just seen photo of application, my helmet chain is inside a cycle inner tube and I also use a laptop security cable whic Iut through the sleeve of my jacket and use a long shackle padlock.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest