By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Colvin

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Colvin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hydrogen home heating
19/05/2021 12:02:42
Posted by Hillclimber on 19/05/2021 10:24:21:

Never let the good be the enemy of the perfect.

Cheers, Colin

Should not that be, "never let the perfect be the enemy of the good"?, or is there a jocular reference that is making a whoosh sound as it passes over my head.

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
10/01/2021 13:12:08

I brought a Creality ender 3 pro last February to produce components for small scale railway modelling.

For this, I found the finish of the printed components too coarse for the intended purpose.

In the future I will be looking at resin 3D printers to fulfil my original requirements.

I have found the Creality useful for producing jigs and templates though.

Here are a couple of images of items for a 1/10th scale garden railway diorama that I used the printer to produce.

locomotive kit parts.jpg

diorama 2.jpg

Thread: New Covid Rules
02/11/2020 17:08:44
Posted by Mike Poole on 01/11/2020 19:07:48:

I hope Logan’s Run isn’t going to be on the telly any time soon, it might give the wrong people some ideas.sad

Mike

Or have a segregation of the generations,. Sixteen to Thirty year old's get to live in Partyland. Once turning thirty, unlike in Logan's Run, they are not euthanized, but are expelled into Oldiesland, where there is no more partying, ever!. laugh

Thread: Grumpy old men
13/10/2020 11:21:36
Posted by 10ba12ba on 12/10/2020 19:18:19:

People who wave their hands about when talking.....particularly "presenters".

I find myself being particularly infuriated with radio presenters who wave their hands about when talking.

Thread: Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues
02/10/2020 11:11:25
Posted by Cornish Jack on 02/10/2020 10:57:46:

Neil - of course, you and the Mods are right - standard conversational embargo on Sex, Religion and Politics! Unfortunately, the forum median age would possibly rule out two of those, anyway!blushwink

rgds

Bill

One of those to rule out would seem to be obvious, I can not though identify what the second one would be.

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
18/09/2020 11:51:27

Onshape changed their terms and conditions for non-commercial users from what they were when the product was initially launched some time ago. They did not reduce functionality in any way. To continue to use the product for free, required allowing anything you create with the program to be available for public accessibility.

This did not concern me in any way. As I am only using the program for hobby purposes. If I was creating a product that I wished to make money from, then it would be only right that I should pay to use the professional version of Onshape.

Ron

Thread: What rivet to use to join aluminium?
14/09/2020 11:40:25
Posted by Bill Pudney on 14/09/2020 08:56:15:

During my apprenticeship, a helicopter fell into the sea, well the Solent actually. It couldn't be recovered for almost 24 hours. When the poor thing was plonked onto the slipway, most of the fuselage skinning had gone away and there were large holes in the main gearbox that you could put a clenched fist through. These were all magnesium alloys, but it shows how quickly corrosion can happen.

The company built hovercraft, which operate in a VERY moist salt water spray environment. During assembly of sheet metal bits, there were three different types of jointing compound, red, yellow and brown, at this distance I cannot remember which one was used where (one was used on painted metal, one on bare metal etc), but they were all intended to keep moisture out of joints. If the wrong one was used the inspectors would go ballistic.

cheers

Bill

Maybe they should have built the hovercraft out of the jointing compoundslaugh.

Thread: Strength of Beams
10/09/2020 13:13:07
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/09/2020 12:33:00:

Posted by Ron Colvin on 10/09/2020 12:30:05:

It is the advantage of producing Cellular beams that have got me confused. I can not see how they can be produced, without every circular cutout in the final beam requiring half a circle of waste material.

The weight reduces more than the stiffness ...

I apologise, I had hoped that no one would notice before I deleted my original post. When I first visualised the cutting of a cellular beam I mistakenly foresaw that waste material would be involved. Directly after posting I realised that this would not be so.

Ron

Edited By Ron Colvin on 10/09/2020 13:14:59

10/09/2020 12:30:05
Posted by Martin Kyte on 10/09/2020 11:39:03:

Re castellated beam

Interesting way they make those. The webs are cnc cut (Water jet or Plasma) so that the two half profiles stack inside each other to fit onto a blank less than the final width of the finished web. The 'points are then butt welded to form a web with a series of circular hole down the middle. Add top and Bottom and you have your castellated beam.

regards Martin

I had question regarding how cellular beams are formed. Posted, then immediately realised what the answer was.

Edited By Ron Colvin on 10/09/2020 12:41:10

Thread: New Moderators
07/09/2020 11:05:51
Posted by blowlamp on 07/09/2020 10:00:21:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/09/2020 09:48:03:

Let he who without sin cast the first stone!

...I admire skilled work in all forms. While I know how to calculate the depth of foundation needed to support a brick wall, I couldn't build a good one myself. My metalworking skills are below average too. Being clumsy and impatient in the workshop, I'm not qualified to criticise someone asking advice about bioler making...

smiley

Dave

Bingo! devil

Bioler is a combination of letters that looks like it should be an actual word. I Google searched it to see if it was, Googles reply, "do you mean boiler".

My first thought on what a bioler could be, was, a musical instrument controlled by biorhythms.

Then I found out that there appears to be a US patent for such a device.

My final conclusion, I spend far too much time Googling trivia.

Thread: Battleship Grey
31/07/2020 12:00:25

Just to tip another can of worms into the saucepan, there is the school of thought that a scale model should not be painted in the same shade of paint as the full size prototype. The reasoning being that visual depth perception would indicate that the colours used, should be made a lighter shade that is based upon the reduced scale of the model.

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 10:42:13
Posted by David Davies 8 on 30/07/2020 22:57:07:

Re parsimony.

I read the following some time ago:-

An engineer is someone who can do for 50p what any old fool can do for a pound.

Dave

Unless they are German automotive engineers, in which case they will do it for €2.22.

Thread: Model horse
23/07/2020 11:52:14

Carousel horses are a somewhat different beast to the farm variety. Which means that you may have to model them yourself. 3D printing is one route to take, but you would need to use a 3D modelling program that is amenable to figurine modelling. The gaining of competency in the use of such a program can entail a steep learning curve. An alternative for someone with good hand tool using skills, would be to wood carve them.

Thread: Message from the prime minister
09/07/2020 11:53:04

The P.M. should not require a workshop to pursue his model making hobby. The kitchen table and a few woodworking/crafting tools should serve his purpose in the construction of model buses from wine boxes .

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
25/06/2020 12:55:19

As for "the desire among users for a more modern platform". I don't consider myself either a Luddite or a dinosaur, but have over the years become used to the ME/MEW forum user interface, and do not find any inadequacies within it that would justify a change.

Thread: Source of CNC plastic for software proving purposes
14/05/2020 18:29:17
Posted by Emgee on 14/05/2020 17:58:21:

Our now departed friend Lord John did an article on forming a machinable wax, he called in at my workshop once and couldn't fathom why I was still using aluminium for trial cnc runs, perhaps it was on this forum or in a ME mag, anyone know ?

Ron, you can also collect al chips to reform into castings if you have the gear.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 14/05/2020 17:59:58

Yes, if you have the right gear.

With wax you can recycle it in a domestic oven, if the management is not looking.

14/05/2020 17:08:40

Machinable wax has one attribute that aluminium does not.

You can collect your swarf, and cast it into new blocks to use again.

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
03/04/2020 12:14:46

I received my Ender 3 Pro in February. The assembly went well, and I stood back to admire my work, then experienced one of those slap the forehead and emit doh! moments.

Assembly error

At first I found that the prints would not adhere to the heated bed, then realised that the default temperature was set at 16 degrees C, increasing that to 60 cured the problem.

The other problem that I had was with the slicer, I wanted to use Cura, but being a 64bit program, I could not install it on my old 32bit desktop machine, nor was it possible to install it on my chromebook. The solution I found was to use AstroPrint, **LINK** which is a cloud based 3d printing operating system using Cura as the slicing software. It is free for non commercial users.

Ron

Thread: Coronavirus
14/03/2020 11:58:26
Posted by Bill Chugg on 14/03/2020 10:31:31:
Posted by Hopper on 14/03/2020 10:27:53:
Posted by Alan Jackson on 14/03/2020 10:18:13:

I like the advice for shares I once saw, it said

"Buy low and sell high, but if they don't go up, don' t buy them."

Well it worked for me.

Alan

That's it in a nutshell.

That's why I spent most of my money on beer, fast women and loose motorcycles. The rest, I wasted.

Over here it is beer, loose women and FAST motorcycles, wink wink

Bill

I believe that the beer should deserve an adjective too, strong, tasty etc. wink

Thread: DVLA Scam
01/03/2020 11:54:07

This is not a process that I am happy with, the automatic annual extracting of payment from a debit card once you have used it once.

I used to pay my Model Engineer annual subscription by cheque, and each year received a reminder that the subscription required renewing. One year I paid by debit card instead, and since then it has been automatically renewed.

Maybe there is way to opt out of this procedure, but I would much rather that it was configured so that you had to opt in.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest