By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parts storage
20/01/2022 19:21:27
Posted by duncan webster on 20/01/2022 19:16:58:

My problem is remembering where I've put bits, and sometimes forgetting that I've made bits and making them again. Would be a lot easier if I did a parts list and ticked them off as made, with a note of where I'd stached them

That is one reason for buying the boxes I like the idea of making a list of part already made. At the moment the list is simple One set of frameslaugh

20/01/2022 18:53:38

Also to help me out for storage I had a £20 voucher for screwfix and brought three of these to keep them in I will be bringing these into the house with the parts in (If they fit). They stack together with clips on the side

I will get some inhibitor to coat them with as advised by some of you

storage boxes

Edited By Derek Lane on 20/01/2022 18:55:01

20/01/2022 18:06:19

Thank you all not sure how long the parts will be stored it all depends how fast I am at making bits for the Loco

20/01/2022 16:24:54

For those that take on long term projects how do you store the parts that you have machines while you are busy making other parts. I don't mean put in a draw but how you store them to prevent rust until you are ready to assemble and paint.

This mainly concerns steel and cast iron parts

Thread: Deep and narrow tool storage
19/01/2022 23:37:25

You may not like facebook but sometimes they come up for sale on local for sale site. I missed two 10 draw ones they only wanted £25 for each

Edited By Derek Lane on 19/01/2022 23:38:12

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
19/01/2022 16:06:33

Spent the day completing all the major work on the frames just nee to do some hand work to all the curved surfaces some of which can just be seen on the marking out blue, ( I do need to re-blue one and mark it as I wiped that off by mistake). I also still need to countersink some holes.

When I did the first cut outs I kept forgetting which way to turn the wheels and nearly spoiled all the work that I had done. So a couple of stickers as a reminder printed off with a labeling machine I use in the garden.

I am pretty pleased with the outcome so far considering this is my first time using a milling machine.

dscf2154.jpg

Bolted back together ready for hand work.

dscf2155.jpg

The quick and simple labels made things a lot easier

dscf2156.jpg

dscf2157.jpg

Thread: Small scraping project wanted
19/01/2022 09:22:46

When I was training as a plant mechanic one of the things we had to make was a straight edge which got us to cut with a hacksaw to a line filing straight edges, filing curves and finally using a scraper and surface plate to get the straight edge square and true may seem a simple project but surprising what it taught us.

I still have it now many years after I made it I will one day put it onto the surface plate again just in case it has been damaged after being throw into a tool box and left there for many a year( I know I should have treated it with a lot more respect).

I will try and take a photo of it

18/01/2022 17:05:08

Spent yet more time in the workshop on the chassis frames managed to get all the holes drill, there are 5 that I have only stared that will need drilling right through just one of the frames.

Also the cylinder cut out done except for the corners which will need squaring up with a file once they are off the mill. I am trying to do as much as I can without disturbing the set up.

dscf2151.jpg

dscf2152.jpg

Thread: Can you recommend a "medium-speed" epoxy adhesive? (e.g. "30 minute" or "60 minute")
17/01/2022 14:24:04

+1 for Zap epoxy I use the 5 minute one but it is a good glue

Thread: Calculator App
16/01/2022 19:31:30

Thank you all for the recommendations will have a look at a few of them.

I could have sworn I posted a reply but it seemed to have got lost somewhere

16/01/2022 17:56:02

Spent the last couple of days finishing getting the chassis frames to overall size and then cut out some of the pieces still need to do all the drilling as well as file the curves for the bits I have cut out. I have managed to take out most of the metal using the mill so reducing the filing I will need to do.

I did have a small mishap where the part moved but was able to realign everything and set the DRO to the datum point I was working from no damage to the part luckily. It was not he machine but me that caused it lesson learnt for later

Fully sized

Thread: Calculator App
16/01/2022 14:11:18

Can anyone recommend an calculator app which can handle fractions and convert them to decimal and also metric. Does not need to be a scientific calculator but if by chance it does that would be a bonus.

Thread: Mill or drill for the same money
15/01/2022 23:32:52
Posted by br on 12/01/2022 11:52:16:
Posted by Derek Lane on 12/01/2022 11:32:13:

I now have both and find the drill gets plenty of use for those not so accurate jobs as well as some quite accurate work(with the addition of a cheap X-Y vice table) but mainly I do tend to use the drill press for a lot of woodwork so is kept at the other end of the workshop. The press has a good quill travel which is ideal for drilling pen blanks when making pens

Off topic, but interesting that you used a press for your pen blanks, Derek. When we had the shop, I did mine on the lathe, and faced ends on lathe also.

I have also done them on the lathe but for the longer blanks the drill press which has a great quill travel is just great

Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition 2022
14/01/2022 12:11:12

Until I am 100% satisfied (In my eyes) with the current situation with this bug I will not attend any shows. Not that I would go to this one too far north for me, would rather buy things with the money saved on transport getting there and back

14/01/2022 10:12:22
Posted by KWIL on 14/01/2022 09:23:43:

One suggestion is that you provide some form of "fence" in the rear table slot. That would enable you to replace the frames (should you need to) in exactly the same place front to back with only the side to side movement to be finely adjusted.

Thank you for that tip worth thinking about but as it stands I will be doing a lot of work 90% on these without having to take them off the mill just move the clamps one at a time to mill the back edge of the plates to the correct width and take out a 3/8" along just under half the length.

All tips are very much welcome. I know that many will say that I should have started with a simpler model but I felt that this was not beyond me with a little pre-planning , One of my  favourite subjects when I was at school(I will not say how many years ago) was  technical drawing so reading plans is fairly easy, and as I stated there will be mistakes but I am prepared to learn from them as well as tips that I am offered.

As I have put on the bottom of posts I make on woodworking sites "He who never made a mistake never made anything"

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/01/2022 10:24:58

14/01/2022 07:50:04
Posted by Bazyle on 13/01/2022 22:56:17:

Derek. You have obviously been on the site for some time so I hope you have read the other threads about the Rob Roy valve gear not lining up.

Not yet but will have a look as it is 4 of the holes on the chassis need moving this is the first I know of and there are some others that I am aware of but not taken any notice of until I move to the next stage to check if any are needed then. One piece at a time.

13/01/2022 17:20:13
Posted by DiogenesII on 12/01/2022 19:07:23:

Good luck and happy engineering, Derek, sure it will go well!

Thank you.

The journey begins spent the day riveting the two plates together and the set up on the mill cleaned up the left edge and long edge so that the rivets are close to the centre of the horn cutouts. I did give the right side a clean up so that it was parallel to the left edge but not yet down to the right length of the chassis.

I will be using the bottom right as a datum to start with as not all measurements are not taken from there so may have to change that as I go along luckily I have the DRO to assist in this

The beginning

12/01/2022 17:50:23

At last I have now started my first model it is a Rob Roy loco, frames rough cut to size with a little extra so that I can mill off where the steel was cut on a guillotine. Holes drilled so that I can rivet them together. I am sure I will make mistakes but it is only metal at the end of the day I will also learn plenty.

I have spent quite a few hours studying the plans for the frames and working out the best way to approach the work hopefully without having to move them too many times. I am going to buy some storage boxes for parts so that I can keep them safe.

Wish me luck I have already forgotten how many times I have measured just the two frames before even cutting them.

I do have a plan of attack and will be breaking the model down into small projects and only thinking about that section that I am working on but also being mindful of other parts adjacent checking the measurements marry up just in case of any the plans do have any measurement mismatches.

Thread: Mill or drill for the same money
12/01/2022 11:32:13

I now have both and find the drill gets plenty of use for those not so accurate jobs as well as some quite accurate work(with the addition of a cheap X-Y vice table) but mainly I do tend to use the drill press for a lot of woodwork so is kept at the other end of the workshop. The press has a good quill travel which is ideal for drilling pen blanks when making pens

Thread: Royal Fail
11/01/2022 21:06:21

If so many posties are going down with covid then no one is using common sense when near each other it does not need someone in authority to tell people that or should we blame the managers for not informing them to do it.

"I was not told to wear a mask" is not an excuse in my eyes

How many here wear flip flops in the workshop and drop something on their toes just to blame someone else or do you all use common sense.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest