By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Non-warping Wood for Base?
06/02/2022 10:46:55

first it depends on how the wood was cut originally from the tree if cut through and through then it is more likey to warp to some degree if quarter sawn then it will warp to a much lesser degree than the first option.

secondly It all depends on how wood is dried whether you have air dried or kiln dried. Air dried will have more moisture in than kiln and so will warp more readily

third type of wood hard woods are less prone to warping

forth how you treat the wood before preparing as mentioned above bring it into the environment that it is going to sit in when finished for a minimum of two weeks three is better then prepare the wood.

Remember that wood will still take in water and loose it even when finished so expect some movement even only a slight amount wood never stops moving even when sealed

Thread: Making a die filer - how to build the eccentric
05/02/2022 21:14:41

The centre one is similar to some of the machines I use to work on one thing some of them had was a bearing on the pin

Thread: Using a rotary table
03/02/2022 21:34:10

Maybe of a little HELP

Thread: New workshop - Quart into a Pint Pot!
01/02/2022 19:03:00

I did the opposite to you and went from a 12' X 8' workshop to a 20' X 10' and I just wondered how I got all of the equipment into the small one. You seemed to have managed to squeeze it all in and still have some worktop space

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
01/02/2022 18:58:42

Cut the two slots in each buffer beam for the main chassis frames to fit into using a 3/32nd" milling cutter very slow as did not want to have to wait if I broke it, there also was a little filing as the cutter left a half circle at the end so had to square that up so the frames fitted right into them. They fit very snug so a nice push fit into them. This is the first of many dry fits. I need to make some brackets so they can be riveted together but that will have to wait as other stuff need doing before they can be fixed in place.

dscf2184.jpg

Thread: How many remember this
31/01/2022 17:05:06

I use to use this one when I was a plant mechanic, but not for hydraulics because of the pressures involved it has saved me many times

31/01/2022 09:54:31

How many members can remember this little tool.

20211113_161905.jpg

20211113_161913.jpg

20211113_161842.jpg

Edited By Derek Lane on 31/01/2022 09:55:49

Thread: spell checker
31/01/2022 09:45:37

I use to use the inbuilt checker so don't know why it no longer works. I have not changed my system. My only gripe is that so many spell checker keep using the bloody American spellings no wonder kids don't know how to spell correctly today.

Posted by Gary Wooding on 31/01/2022 07:43:23:

I'm using Firefox under Win10. Highlighted spelling errors in Gmail are corrected by right-clicking and selecting a suggestion from the pop-up, but in this forum the pop-up doesn't appear unless I hold the CTRL key when right-clicking. Maybe it will work for you too.

Thank you for that tip about using the ctrl key.

Thread: Is this a dog?
29/01/2022 21:03:49

I have seen something similar but the two outer points do not have the sides ground away and also they are on the same plane not offset like your one.

The one I had seen was designed for wood turning and gave a positive grip as a drive centre

29/01/2022 15:33:25

Nothing done on the Rob Roy but parts and metal arrived so I can proceed as well as fixings which I thought I would get into a small draw unit to they are all in one place this will save time hunting for where I put them.

dscf2171.jpg

dscf2172.jpg

I used the good old label machine I mentioned in earlier post.

dscf2173.jpg

Thread: How to keep Paint Fresh?
29/01/2022 11:35:51

This may not work but when chefs want to prevent a skin forming on custard when making different deserts they lay a piece of cling film over the top just touching the custard would this also work for the paint as it is the paint in contact with air that causes it to skin over.

OK I'll get my coatlaugh

28/01/2022 13:24:44
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 28/01/2022 09:58:23:

Must be a brain thing because I also confuse righty-tighty lefty-loosey when working upside down under a sink, and sometimes make parts perfect except they're a mirror image of what's needed.

Dave

The amount of times I have done that working under a digger trying to replace a hydraulic hose in the most tight space there islaughlaughlaugh

27/01/2022 22:55:59
Posted by Bazyle on 27/01/2022 22:27:28:

I like the idea of the arrows on the milling machine handle but only need one - an arrow on the block going away from the operator ie clockwise but tilted at an angle to the left 'inwards'. Some people get a bit confused about which is clockwise too.

I just marked them for me to understand as I will be the only one using this machine hopefully after a while they will become redundant as I get to understand the machine operating systems, and then they can be pealed off if needed as they are only from a Brother printing machine mainly designed for garden tags.

I have had some which have been in the garden for three years and none have faded they are as clear now as when I originally printer them well impressed

I will also use it to mark some of my plastic draws with sizes and what is in each one

Thread: Rust Protection
27/01/2022 10:55:25

I have one of THESE in the workshop it just keeps the temperature above freezing reducing the risk of rust forming. This is a low wattage unit and can be set to turn off once a set temperate is set

I think I may now need a second unit as the new workshop is much larger area than the old one.

26/01/2022 15:59:09

Done most of the buffer beam this week until I realised that I needed a milling cutter to complete them. So Monday ordered from Tracey tools they arrived this morning post office must have pulled up their socks at last even my ME copy arrived two days early.

dscf2161.jpg

On to yesterday I thought I would start another part while waiting for the cutter(always something can be made). That so far is great being able to do something until today. found one of the pieces of metal but the second must have been taken by the workshop gremlins.

So to help a little I had a little clean up not that it was that untidy as I do try to keep things clean and put away unless they are being worked on. still no sign of the part, Coffee time and onto the computer and ordered some castings for the rob Roy as well as a pile of steel also for the loco.

Back into the workshop and spotted an angle plate which had the smallest amount of rust trying to creep on to it I may as well get on top of that before it takes hold over to the vice and yes you guessed it there sitting in the vice was the missing piece of steel it is now with the other piece in a safe place until I forget where I put them.

Oh well another exciting week so far what will I loose next

Thread: Scratch building
26/01/2022 15:43:33

Do people scratch build. The reason I ask as I have just found this small pile of bits and pieces of information on a Robson Horizontal Deisel Engine.

If so they will go to anyone interested (Not sure if this should go into the for sale section). I will not sell them as it would be FTAGH

Thread: Dust Extraction
24/01/2022 18:56:49

As already said that is a chip collector and not suitable for dust. The other type like the Clarkes one link to will remove some of the dust.

If however you are trying to remove free floating dust then THIS type of extractor is ideal but even then a respirator needs to be worn until the extractor remove the free floating dust

Thread: Calculator App
21/01/2022 11:21:11

While myself and the wife were out doing our normal food shop in Morrisons I wanted a small note book for the workshop to take notes or scribble information on, anyway on the shelf I found a casio fx-85gtx calculator so that has sorted that problem also in B & M I found a small white board and pens with four magnets on thought that would be useful for writing measurements on for quick ref when milling easy wiped off after each use.

So thank you all for suggestions

Thread: Parts storage
21/01/2022 11:11:13
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 21/01/2022 10:19:11:

As used on milling cutters etc - CROCELL but I don't expect the OP could be bothered with this.

Bob

A little OTT in respect of the pricelaugh could buy some new tools for that.

I have decided to go with some VCI paper just going to order some

20/01/2022 22:38:15
Posted by Bazyle on 20/01/2022 22:04:15:

Waxoyle , clear version diluted with white spirit, after cleaning off oil with white spirit. Has to be done on a dry warm day so that it can be done outside. Also beeswax furniture polish but not car wax or any other polish that might contain silcone.

Bugger I should have thought of beeswax as it is something I use on my bandsaw table it stops it rusting as well as makes the wood slide easily. I apply a very thin layer and buff it up which also helps any transfer to the wood I am cutting.

The stuff I use is Woodwax 22 which I can pick up at woodturning suppliers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest