By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: B&M
16/03/2022 12:18:34

Something I found in B & M was a small white board with pen and 4 week magnets OK for holding paper. I use it a lot in the workshop when I need to write down a measurement so as not to forget.

I don't need a large one as I am not into getting stickers and wasting wall space, what is it with people collecting stickers other than look who I got one from bragging rights

Thread: Lathe diagram - loose wire from fuse
15/03/2022 10:53:08

From the picture in the first post, the loose wire goes to the fuse yet the other terminal of the fuse has a blue wire which appears to go out of the box where does that wire go to

Thread: Converting brick outhouse to (very small) workshop...
15/03/2022 10:21:18

Like any workshop the bench on which to place any machines is a great place to start as long as you know what machines that you want to aid in size and location. under bench storage is a must for many bits and pieces try to incorporate shallow draws which go full depth of the bench as less used item can be placed at the back and the most common items at the front. I say shallow draws as this will save having to dig to the bottom of a draw for parts and tools(Yes I do have draws like that) you do need shelves under the bench for larger bits and pieces On mine I have doors stops rubbish from falling onto them.

High up shelves(within easy reach) are ideal especially for those items always being used on the machines. I keep my clamping set for the mill on mine as well as other easy to grab items.

I know I have only just started in model engineering but have had a workshop for many years doing woodwork and woodturning and the principle of storage is very much the same(Istill do both of these activities)

Thread: Dykem Layout Blue Remover
14/03/2022 09:32:40

I use cellulose thinners only because I use it with some of the things that I use to decorate my wooden turning especially thinning some of the primers and finishes

Thread: Any advance on the highlighted comment ?
13/03/2022 09:37:07

Just watched that video and if you think the the picture above is good then watch it at about 10mins where he plugs in the "Power hammer" not that it is any good be quicker and simpler to use the club hammer as intended

Thread: Don't really know where to Topic this.
10/03/2022 11:28:57

Lunch on the go and I did laugh about 2:12 in when he heard a noise it made me wonder what animals they had in that part of the wood he did look up a bit quick

Thread: Micrometers
10/03/2022 11:16:34

I would just like to thank all members that helped me with this post and also to those that have offered me some micrometers for a fair price.

I am now sorted for those sizes that I mentioned in my opening post. This goes to show that members of the forum are a great bunch not only helping with information but also helping me sort out what I need which was not my intent when I started this thread.

For the amount of time I will use these sizes buying second hand does seem to be the way to go but if needed I would have brought new.

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
10/03/2022 10:47:29

I use to enjoy Lyle Peterson until he started to only put up "Look what I brought at auction" I am sure that half of what he buys he already has in the workshop. He use to do some good videos on how to make something or other but no longer.

Thread: Philosophical maxims
10/03/2022 08:32:28

"The only people who never fail are those that never try"

Thread: Financial surnames
09/03/2022 10:46:52

I use to have a Doctor who has now retired His name was Pratt, however he was the old type doctor who was very good nothing was too small unless he knew they where just after a sick note to get time off

Thread: Hammer Handle Supplier??
09/03/2022 10:33:51

If all else fails have you thought about making your own

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
08/03/2022 22:28:29

Some pictures of the buffer beams and the first horn block ready for splitting when the rivet holes have been drilled, from the other day. As they are milled as a pair I have punched a single mark on either end and also in the first frame cut out as well as engraved a L and R on the appropriate side. Hopefully if I do this to all of them the axles should end up nice and square to the frame.

dscf2268 (2).jpg

dscf2267 (2).jpg

08/03/2022 09:00:22
Posted by Bruce Voelkerding on 07/03/2022 19:45:52:

Derek,

don't be surprised after you split the Horn Block castings that the "open end" doesn't fit well. It has happened on all 20 Horn Blocks that I have machined (these were all 3-1/2" gauge cast Bronze and single piece - it sounds like you have the kind cast as a pair). Even though I made a special jig to hold them and there was no taper on the sides as they came off the Mill, they distorted by the time I got around to riveting them onto the Frames.

No need to worry - I used a Screw and a Nut as an internal Jack and held them tight in the Frame Slots as I drilled & riveted them. I machined the working faces holding the Frames as a pair outside Face to outside Face, Frames sitting vertical in the Mill Vice, using an End Mill.

Thank you Bruce for those words of wisdom I will now be aware of that and at lest know how to solve it. I will drill the holes in the frames from the blocks but may do so before splitting them which will give a guide for when I do split them.

I also will mark them so they only will be fitted to either left or right side as well as which slot they will fit into.

Thread: 3 1/2 gauge A3
08/03/2022 08:51:11

From my very limited experience in model engineering but experience in repairing power tools up to diggers, I would start with examining the loco to see the obvious faults and go from there.

Many parts will need to be made rather than sourced. those on here with a lot more experience than I hopefully will come along and give better advice.

Pictures of the loco not just a general one but some detailed ones of the running gear may also help.

There is a how to for adding pictures somewhere on the site

07/03/2022 23:55:16

Thank you all for the great responses and also those members that have contacted me over this

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
07/03/2022 19:22:22

More mornings spent in the garden getting rid of some ornamental grass we do not want finishing the veg area ready for planting.

Afternoons workshop time finished the rear buffer beam riveting and today making a start on the horn blocks first one machined to fit the frames quite pleased nice fit no photos. Still got two more pairs to do as they are joined I am able to do a pair at a time which will be ideal as once split they can be fitted in the same pair on the frames so should all line up later on

Thread: Tomato seed recommendation?
07/03/2022 17:39:51

I have only grown money maker toms with no problem keep them fed and watered always had a good crop

07/03/2022 10:07:26

I am looking to buy a couple of micrometers one being a 2-3" and the other 3-4 these are going to be for occasional use unlike the ones I already have which are a mix of M & W, Starrett and Mitutoyo, these I do use on a regular basis.

Any thought on the Dasgua (Chronos) ones or even the new look M&W ones with the blue plastic looking bits on them. Any others which can be recommended please.

I don't need to know the ins and outs (Of a dogs rear end) of them just are they any good and accurate

Thread: Mystery object
06/03/2022 16:29:46

I am only working from experience as I have in the past fired various weapons from the humble .22 right up to 120mm

The saw cut(or what appears to be) may be someones attempt at removing the head and got it wrong and should have cut further down the casing to miss the head to remove it intact. Not that I would want to do so.

I do also use casings to make pens    

dscf9115 (800x565).jpg  

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/03/2022 16:37:43

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/03/2022 16:38:18

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/03/2022 16:38:44

Thread: Question about roughing or ripper end mills
06/03/2022 09:05:03

I would say yes one tooth is cutting leaving a larger radius in the corner than the other two but that also means that the tooth that comes to a full radius and a sharp corner has less work to do.

Bill Phinn I agree woodworker do tend to call what you describe as a ripping cut but unless you are not worried about a finish it will 9 out of 10 times leave and undesirable finish and it would need to be put through a planer or if that way inclined a hand plane to get an surface that is needed for fine furniture.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest