By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making a knurled thumb wheel
10/05/2021 20:41:14

Steve as promised I had to use the wood lathe to show what I meant.

The first picture is how you held your cloth the second and third is how I hold it with the pad of either paper or cloth as you can see nothing wrapped around my fingers if it does catch it is pulled out of my hand and not pull my hand in with it. This can also be used with abrasive papers.

I hope this makes my explanation a little clearer Sorry about picture quality as well as being sideways

20210510_142458.jpg

20210510_142606.jpg

20210510_142535.jpg

Edited By Derek Lane on 10/05/2021 20:42:23

Edited By JasonB on 10/05/2021 20:45:44

09/05/2021 22:56:21
Posted by Steviegtr on 09/05/2021 22:44:45:
Posted by Derek Lane on 09/05/2021 19:54:46:
Posted by ChrisB on 09/05/2021 13:28:39:

Nice work Stevie, not necessarily the way I'd go round it but still good job. As for the above comments regarding the polishing cloth, I would do the same as you did, but with a paper towel.

Paper towels may rip easy but you also will be surprised how strong they can become when bunched up or even wrapped around something. It does not take much for the finger to be pulled into the works before the paper can give out so please do not do it.

I would hate to see someone injured

Yes i see what you mean. So what would be the best way to polish the bar end.

Steve.

With all sharp edges removed from the part hold the cloth or paper on the flat of the fingers using your thumb like a small clamp if the cloth or paper catches it will just pull out of you hand and not pull your hand in. With woodturning we hold the cloth at the7 o,clock so that it is pulled away if held on top everything is being pushed towards you hand.

Easier to show than explain will try to take a photo tomorrow sometime

09/05/2021 19:54:46
Posted by ChrisB on 09/05/2021 13:28:39:

Nice work Stevie, not necessarily the way I'd go round it but still good job. As for the above comments regarding the polishing cloth, I would do the same as you did, but with a paper towel.

Paper towels may rip easy but you also will be surprised how strong they can become when bunched up or even wrapped around something. It does not take much for the finger to be pulled into the works before the paper can give out so please do not do it.

I would hate to see someone injured

09/05/2021 09:20:11

I can't really comment on the turning and knurling as I am ion the process of setting up myself, but what I will say is at the end when polishing the piece with the cloth DO NOT wrap the cloth around your finger like you did if it grabs then you may say goodby to the finger. I do however wood turn at the moment and fully aware of the dangers

Edited By Derek Lane on 09/05/2021 09:21:42

Thread: Swindon Wheel Castings
06/05/2021 23:16:41

Has he tried the Blackgate engineering catalogue at the bottom there is a list of wheels but you will have to know the size and other information to see if they have a match

Thread: Repair It? Wossat Mean, Like?
04/05/2021 19:06:54

Many moons ago when I was in London doing a course on machine repair(which I had already been repairing for the last 10 years) we had a tour of the factory and the guy giving the tour pointed out that the drill we saw being tested(DIY type) were designed to run between 1/2 hour to 1 hour work he explained that being a DIY tool the average DIY'er only ever used the tool for 2 to 5 minutes at any one time and it would take over a year for them to reach the time above. If they lasted longer it was a bonus for the owner

Thread: Fitting a Drill Chuck Confusion
04/05/2021 18:54:10

Have you wound the tailstock quill out enough as some have a self ejecting system before trying to tap it in

Thread: Protective film for polished metal.
04/05/2021 16:10:39
Posted by John Haine on 04/05/2021 15:20:47:

Let me reiterate my suggest of Renaissance wax. I doubt that any stick backed film would be suitable for the final assembly, but the surface will need just as much or more protection then.

**LINK**

This product is designed for the job, it works very well, no reason why it shouldn't be applied to the parts initially and another treatment when assembled. A small pot is not terribly expensive

A very good product have used it many times it also prevents fingerprints showing on the item it is used on. If it is good enough for the British Museum then good enough for me.

As for "Not terribly expensive" a pot of 65ml about 10 years ago was about £11 and I still have 1/2 of that left as it does go a very long way

Thread: Reading glasses - frosted area
04/05/2021 10:54:01

Many glasses use a plastic material similar to perspex. If you have a dremel type tool and a small buffing mop try that with a little t cut or Autosol (try it on perpex first) do not hold it on to long or press to hard you do not want too much heat build up.

There is also micro mesh which you can sand down to 12,000grit and you end up with a polished shine best used with soapy water see this pen I did with them

dscf5276-001.jpg

Edited By Derek Lane on 04/05/2021 11:01:09

Thread: Oofle Dust
03/05/2021 16:17:20

Reminds me of what is in my cupboard pots of different wood dust as well as Brass, Copper and Ali powder

Thread: 12" Rule
02/05/2021 11:13:42

I need to replace my 12" rule as the one I currently have the numbers and markings have faded as I believe they where printer, I do have some 6" rules but these have the markings engraved on them.

I have looked around but can not find any with the engraved marks does anyone know a source for them, I will also be looking for either a 18" or 24" one.

It would be nice to have dual measurements IE imperial and metric

Thread: Interesting old chisels
02/05/2021 10:05:04

Having carved wood and especially Lime I have never had the tools discolour afterwards, but the they are modern chisels. The one you have maybe a carbon steel which could be effected by even small amounts of tannin in woods.

Thread: Something a bit different- excavator arm
01/05/2021 13:04:19

Very nice indeed, have you thought of going the whole hog and making the rest with working tracks and dozer blade which many had fitted

Thread: Stand for milling machine
28/04/2021 07:51:23

As Jon said make it the width of the table at both ends of its travel. Not just for stability but the commercial ones seem to have wasted space below them on either side which could be utilised as extra cupboard or draw space

Thread: What to do when you lose something
24/04/2021 09:06:23

I lost my 12" ruler the other day while doing a job found it near my foot.

Seriously how can you put down a 12" ruler 1"wide nice and shiny on a bench while working and promptly lose it. After having to resort to a 6" one and nearly finishing the job in hand and leaving it over night in the shed walk in and find it sitting on the end of the bench where I was working despite hunting for it the day before.

Edited By Derek Lane on 24/04/2021 09:07:38

Thread: Small saw. Proxxon or something else
21/04/2021 11:44:12

Being a woodworker wanting to get into model engineering I would never consider using woodworking cutting type tools on metal.

I have a small belt/disc sander which I use on wood but will be buying a second one for metal to avoid contamination I know it is not the same as cutting tools.

I have worked with metal quite a bit in the past in my previous job as well as sell machines so am aware of the limitations of many of them.

One exception may be a powered scrollsaw/fretsaw with the correct blade but only suitable really for thin metals. Getting a straight line takes a little practice and may need a false table with zero clearance if the item is small

Edited By Derek Lane on 21/04/2021 11:45:56

Edited By Derek Lane on 21/04/2021 11:58:16

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
13/04/2021 23:15:50

I won a set of Japanese saws on an Australian woodworking site in a competition and I was charged when they arrived here. So expect the same not what you wanted to hear I know

Thread: How do I remove this small bearing? And the one behind it.
09/04/2021 10:22:11

How about heating the casing and see if it will come out easy either drop out or take less effort for it to be pulled or hydraulic out

Thread: Source of 2 inch balls for water pump
08/04/2021 17:05:14
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 08/04/2021 16:43:45:

Lignum Vitae was often used in large steam-ships as a bearing-liner for the propeller shafts, lubricated by the water, so it ought have a goodly long life in well-pump valves. As others say though, even if you could obtain any, you've still the problem of having the balls turned to a suitable sphericity and finish - a problem with turning them from any material.

Not as difficult as it sounds the two pots are from LV and turned to a couple of spheres getting it right just takes a little time and the use of a template.

dscf1584 (1024x768).jpg

dscf1637 (1024x755).jpg

08/04/2021 13:58:28

If the originals were hard wood then a good replacement possibly be Lignum vitae. They can be sourced from old bowling balls, To buy it now would be very difficult as if I remember Lignum Vitae is on the CITES list they are a very oily wood and will stand up to wear as well as the water you will need to have they turned to a sphere.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest