By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane 2

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: From the ground up!
09/04/2019 21:16:29

I am no expert but all the bits I have seen that plate does not appear on other ML4 s that I have seen around.

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
09/04/2019 11:13:05

Posted by larry phelan 1 on 09/04/2019 11:01:13:

It,s a rear gift,given to few,but needed by many. You might manage your shop minus a finger or two,but without your eyes ???????. That,s a No No !

Not something that anyone would want but I disagree after seeing this

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 09/04/2019 11:14:50

09/04/2019 10:34:07

It does not matter what hobby people persuethey should be aware of dangers. As many know I would like to eventually get some equipment and make some models in metal whether it be a small steam engine or a train. At the moment I do a lot of wood turning and have had a piece fly off of the lathe hitting me full in the face, wood had hidden faults in it .I was prudent enough to have some protective equipment on not only for the protection of things hitting me in the face but also lung protection.

I may look silly wearing it but it is my safety I worry about more. The jacket has a high neck line which when closed looks like a poloneck jumper

Safety

Thread: Simple WorkshopTips
07/04/2019 10:57:27

The tubes that denture cleaning tablets come in are a handy storage source from holding scrollsaw blades to swarf collectors with magnets inside as well as keeping drill bits and the like in. The ones we get have a lid that has no printing on them so permanent markers can be used to identify the contents

We use the tablets to remove tea stains in cups

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 07/04/2019 10:58:25

Thread: Fixed vertical metal bandsaw?
29/03/2019 23:42:53

I have an bandsaw from Axminster and there are twin belt pulleys, it states that one is for wood and the other metal cutting. Have not tried cutting metal on it as I would need to buy another blade

Thread: Have your fathers habits rubbed off on you. Just for fun
29/03/2019 23:38:45

I get told that I am so like my late father in so many ways as he used his hands alot tinkering in the shed. The only thing that I have not tried to folowhim in is making a wooden greenhouse in the living room the wife would kill me.

Thread: Drilling Ball bearing balls
26/03/2019 15:33:10

Again thank you all, looks like I will be looking at some stainless balls instead of going for the bearing ball type. They also seem to be more readily available as well as being easier to drill. Making a holder will be no problem

Posted by Hopper on 26/03/2019 08:49:44:

For the shown application, could you just machine the end of the clear rod concave and glue it to the ball with no hole drilled? Might even be less obviously visible than the drilled hole seen through the clear rod?

Where it is to be drilled will not be obvious but still a good idea for future pieces thank you.

25/03/2019 19:38:50

Thank you all for the different suggestions. I will take a look at some of the option that have been suggested.

I am trying to do something similar to this one but with a single support from the bottom

The Tower

25/03/2019 18:55:35

I want to source a largish ball from a ball bearing and then drill into it without having to heat it up and loose the nice shine that they have.

My question is can it be done without heating it up. What I want to end up with is a ball about 1" diameter which is very shiny to add to a sculpture that I want to create from wood the hole will be to glue in a clear rod so it appears to float withing the piece.

My other thought to achieve this was to use magnets, but to insert them in the wood without leaving a tell tale ring of wood is the problem as the magnets need to be large enough and strong enough to float the ball.

Hope that makes sense

Thread: Cap head screws
21/03/2019 14:17:56

Try these

Invicta tools and fixings

or these

DJ Invicta supplies Ltd

as they are quite close to you. There use to be one in Staple which I forget their name or if they are still trading

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 21/03/2019 14:19:04

Thread: Scrollsaw for the occasional user
11/03/2019 12:35:45
Posted by Brian G on 11/03/2019 12:05:00:

A proper vertical motion could double as a filing machine. It looks as if the Hemingway kit comes close to the ideal apart from its limited cutting width.

Brian

Edit: And it would be less expensive than selling my fretsaw and buying a better one - I'll have to think about that.

Edited By Brian G on 11/03/2019 12:06:27

You can even get These for a scrollsaw.

Just out of interest I have nothing to do with Axminster Tools

11/03/2019 10:47:31

Just to point out that I do have a scrollsaw but it gets very little use unless i am making one of my models so mine is one of the cheaper versions. I use it mainly for small parts on my wooden models that I make like the one in my album. The model I have is this one which can also take the pinless type blades.

I would very much like to upgrade to those that I linked to earlier

11/03/2019 09:34:52
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/03/2019 09:06:50:
Posted by Derek Lane 2 on 11/03/2019 08:57:11:

... I know of a few people that own the dearer Axminster saws and rate them very good.

That's useful to know, Derek yes

Are you talking about this range? **LINK**

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-awfs18-scroll-saw-501201

MichaelG.

Not that one but the ones just above it HERE with these the table will stay flat and the cutting head will tilt for angled cuts as well as be brought with different throat sizes.

Something worth watching is this there are two parts

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 11/03/2019 09:39:51

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 11/03/2019 09:41:26

11/03/2019 08:57:11

What is it that you will be wanting to make is the first question. And what do you call occassional use.

If you intend on doing a lot of small intricate internal holes then a machine that can use the pinless blades s needed. You can cut thin metal on them as well with the correct blade so check the specs before buying.

Like many machines you have the cheap range but then there seems a gap and you then get the dearer ones of better quality.

I know of a few people that own the dearer Axminster saws and rate them very good.

Thread: Bench Grinder
24/02/2019 09:01:30

I use a record power 6" grinder mainly for sharpening my turning tools and have found it very good. They also do a 8" version.

This ONE

Thread: Proxxon MF70 went bang
31/01/2019 11:50:03
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 31/01/2019 10:25:34:

proxxon.jpg

With the bang and small amount of smoke normally it is a sign of a capacitor gone. The normal one to go first is the C1 in the diagram above so check that first. Another point that fails is where the mains wire enters the machine if the wire is moved about on a regular basis the inner wire can break inside and have been known to cause problems to a test on the wire while moving it near the housing will give an indication of a failure. And yes it will go with a bang if it shorts there.

Always start from the plug and work through the circuit from there that way nothing is missed

Just as a background I use to repair electric tools for a living

Thread: Shop vac speed reduction
26/01/2019 20:26:12

With the majority of vacs, the most noise is from the exhausted air ports. You can build a purpose built cabinet but it needs to be done so that there is still enough air flow to cool the motor and baffle the exhaust coming out of the vac best to exhaust to the outside.

This has been discussed on many woodworking forums in the past but unfortunately I can't remember which one

Thread: Airbrush spare parts.
26/01/2019 16:23:33
Posted by JasonB on 26/01/2019 16:18:06:

That's the problem with cheap import airbrushes you can't get spares. Suppose at £20 or so for the complete brush you treat them as disposable.

I second that. I own four cheap ones just as easy to buy new my other brushes are a little more expensive starting at £90 each with those spares are readily available

Thread: Super glue filler
25/01/2019 14:30:08

I use a similar method on my woodturning to fill voids I tend to put the glue into the void first then push in the filler clean out any loose and then repeat. The reason for this is that some filling mediums will just allow the glue to sit on top and not soak in so all you get is the top set and the inside still in a powder form.

If you want to do this on metal for cosmetic reasons there is available Copper, Brass and Ali powder available which is very fine

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product-category/wood-finishes/powdered-fillers/

Edited By Derek Lane 2 on 25/01/2019 14:33:13

Thread: Cutting a large chunk of nice aluminium into workable pieces
20/01/2019 19:47:52

I have a piece of Ali sheet that is approx 1-meter square and 3mm thick I have left it as a complete piece as I do not know what to do with it and the minute I decided to cut it up it will end up being too small so will cut when needed. I do the same with wood always leave it whatever size I get it until needed then cut.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest