By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
25/09/2021 17:04:51
Posted by Frances IoM on 25/09/2021 16:26:48:
I would have considered placing lathe and mill on same wall esp if the room length is suitable as it allows easy access to the headstock to allow use of long lengths thru the chuck - they can be set up to 'dangle' over the mill bed - even easier if you build a extra steady that sits on the mill bed - avoids much wastage if you only need short lengths for items.

The mill is on the short wall at the end of the workshop I did try to work it with them both against that wall but with everything that I need to fit into there this was the best solution I did consider putting the mill diagonally across the corner but that would have blocked the power consumer box as can be seen in the top of the corner shown

25/09/2021 15:33:46
Posted by Journeyman on 25/09/2021 14:21:55:
Posted by Derek Lane on 25/09/2021 13:05:36:

Spent a couple of days getting the machines onto their stands securing them and then cleaning.

Nice new toys but I would have left a bit more room between them. You need easy access to the change wheels and to the right hand mill X handle.

John

I have moved the mill over to the left already as I realized that I could not get to the lathe end for that exact reason something to the extra few pounds over the lockdownwink

Also the shelf above the lathe needs relocating as that has all my sharpening stones and the like on it. It will be put where my bench grinding is at. still moving things around and also wiring which needs some enclosure over them.

25/09/2021 13:05:36

Spent a couple of days getting the machines onto their stands securing them and then cleaning.

I chose machines that are slightly larger than what I plan to make but they will allow me to grow with them. I wonder how clean they will stay, I do have a habit of cleaning down the workshop at the end of each day which helps make the following day a pleasure to work in

I have a vice now to fit on the mill and still need to tram the head to the table but little steps I will get there

new toys.jpg

21/09/2021 22:22:15

Spent this afternoon taking delivery of my new machines the first took three of us to move it from roadside to shed the second took five of us. All that is needed now is to set them up so tomorrow i will be getting the stands sorted ready for the big lift of both machines. This evening sat and started to read the instructions for the DRO

Thread: Back to Imperial
21/09/2021 12:28:36

When woodworking I tend to go straight to imperial when measuring and marking out. Having said that if a plan or something that is in metric I can also use that equally as well.

20/09/2021 21:47:26

Spent the day in the workshop finally finding space on the bench still a few bits to find homes for I am sure that some will get moved but most is now in it;s final resting place. Also placed some of the power sockets still some more to do. The last job was to clear a space for the new machines arriving tomorrow.

So glad that the new workshop is very near sorted and I will be able to make wood and metal chips but only after the dust and chip extractor is set up for the woodworking side

Thread: Old gear
20/09/2021 11:08:07

Thank you for all your thoughts I did a file test yesterday and the metal does file easy as well as looking like it is brass.

I would not be able to turn it yet for the simple fact that at the moment I am without a lathe. BUT the good news is that tomorrow everything will change as my new toys are arriving so I am looking forward to making some very simple projects. Space is ready for them and help is also arranged just need some finishing in the workshop so that I can not only start some projects but also be able to finish some woodworking jobs I need to do.

Even at 60+ I still can get excited when new toys arrive am I alone in this feeling

18/09/2021 22:24:34

Thank you all. I will not be attempting to turn it yet if it is any good, this was just to see if it was worth keeping for the suggested idea.

I will have to investigate further to see if I can narrow down the metal type. I have in the past quite a few years ago done some turning other than woodturning

18/09/2021 20:51:29

Whilst I have been reinstating my workshop and finding homes for many bits and pieces as well as my new toys which will be arriving on Tuesday I found this old gear which is nothing to do with anything I have.

As can be seen it is a nice size for possible use as a small engine flywheel would I be correct in this' It looks like Brass rather than a bronze type metal (I have an old gear which I know is bronze to compare it to)

I know that many say try and use known metals from a reliable source but this just seems too good to throw in the scrap bin

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
16/09/2021 11:05:47

My wife's birthday was early September and my sisters posted her cards on the 24th August they arrives on the 8th September.

Even though they were letters I can understand why people that send small parcels by them are now resorting to other delivery options. I know that during the Covid lockdown it was difficult but I am sure that with the lifting of restrictions they should be getting somewhere near to normal services

Thread: Attaching a wooden disc to a Rotary Table without break through
09/09/2021 22:01:08

Something that I use in woodturning is a hot melt glue gun when finished just warm the piece and it is easily removed. You only need to apply the glue around the edge so a heat gun can soften the glue for removal

Thread: Croft Mill Engine
09/09/2021 08:39:52

Thank you to all for the suggestions and link most helpful now able to read the complete article. As mentioned before I would like to build beam engines and then a loco but in the meantime I found the croft engine and from what I have seen it could be the ideal starting point

09/09/2021 08:33:55
Posted by Ady1 on 09/09/2021 07:40:04:

I've put the missing mk2 bits in here

The mk2 starts at 4171

Edited By Ady1 on 09/09/2021 07:44:19

Thank you very helpful

09/09/2021 08:33:19
Posted by DiogenesII on 09/09/2021 06:45:39:

It looks like it ran in 'odd' numbered issues from 4165 to 4179 (vols 188/9).. ..Ebay will be worth a go if you don't have any luck here.. ..prices vary, but a bit of patient looking and thinking will show the way, I'm sure..

There's a useful 'searchable' index of ME, MEW, and EIM articles here;

Model Engineer Index

A useful link will keep that for future reference

08/09/2021 22:18:33

I have a number of ME magazines and have come across the Croft mill Engine MK2 version.

I have three copies but unfortunately not the rest can anyone help with copies of the missing parts, I did look at back issues but could not find what I was looking for.

The three parts I have are

vol 188 No 4171 Part 4

vol 189 No 4175 Part 3

vol 189 No 4179 Part 5

The other thing I have noticed is that part 4 was published before part 3 which seemed a little strange.

Any help would be most helpful in either copies of the missing parts or pointing me as to where I can purchase them from

Thread: Wild life, bird watching and photography
08/09/2021 15:30:29

Not bird watching in the true sense but do enjoy watching the birds that visit the bird feeder we have in the garden.

Edited By Derek Lane on 08/09/2021 15:30:48

07/09/2021 20:03:19

Still working on the new workshop nearly finished the major work except the electrics. At least I will be able to start moving back in soon

Thread: RAF to give up flying planes.
07/09/2021 10:31:50

There is nothing like hands on as each plane has it's little differences just like cars

Thread: A stark reminder to leisure cyclists !
05/09/2021 15:58:12

Working at a tool hire centre we hired a compressor to a customer who promptly put it into his open trailer. Driving out onto the main road as he turned the corner from the drive onto the road the compressor tipped over and fell off he reversed back in and reported the compressor broke.

When he was told he will have to pay for the repairs his comment was "You lifted it onto my trailer and did not tell me to tie it down so I am not paying"

Guess he was disappointed when he was forced to pay the bill once he was told his vehicle your responsibility to secure your load he still kept arguing and was never seen again in the shop to hire another piece of equipment

Thread: Type 2 precision vice from Arc euro
03/09/2021 13:48:24

Thank you Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest