By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
05/07/2020 11:54:48

Very nice.

Another little tip for getting a clear finish on perspex or any other type of acrylic is the same as you did with the sandpaper is when finished use something like T cut for cars and rub that on while the lathe is turning. I make pens using acrylic but I use Burnishing cream which is basically the same as T Cut. Even for the drilled hole this can work but use a wooden dowel with it

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 09:18:11

I brought one from Chronos when they were selling some as seconds when I got it could not find anything wrong with it except a couple of small scratches, I also have a Bissel type draw unit with the draws for a4 size paper not the deep drawer type.

I am thinking of another wooden one once I can go to the timber yard and get some decent sized wood to make it with

Edited By Derek Lane on 01/07/2020 09:18:31

Thread: Hermes Parcels
27/06/2020 09:59:18

I use Hermes and have not yet had any problems that is sending or receiving parcels. My delivery driver is very good and even knows to go to the back door first.

On the other hand, the post office/parcel force seems to think it is OK to delay parcels for so long. I am still waiting for a parcel from a supplier two weeks after it was sent. Spoke to our local delivery driver who stated if it is signed for it will be delivered within a 5 days window if not it is being held at the local hub for anything up to 3 weeks.

I do understand that things may be a little slow at this time but that is just plain stupidity. Is there something that says it is illegal to hold up the royal mail or is that just for highwaymen/government.

Thread: Lollipop maybe?
18/06/2020 17:33:54

Can I ask what is the piece lower right in the compartments do you have a photo of that.

Thread: Storage of files
14/06/2020 22:27:16

If anyone wants to make a rotary storage system then THIS company have them (Just a happy customer) as well as Axminster tools

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/06/2020 22:29:13

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 14:14:05

It all depends on whether it will just be a static model or one when pushed the gears will turn or even to the point of running it on air.

For a static model, any close-grained wood will do.

Woods that would be suitable for moving gears I would suggest Lignum Vitae very close grain and takes detail well, beech is another that is suitable, also a cabinet grade plywood as that will give strength in all directions.

Those that make wooden clocks tend to go the plywood route.

Lignum vitae is hard to come by and I can't remember if it is now on cites list. If the gears are small and you want the LV wood then look for old Bowls balls before they started using composite materials.

I was very fortunate in that I was able to get 18 LV balls and I know they are not cheap to buy. Also worth noting is that LV was used as bearing material because of its oily nature which can also be a downfall if you want to glue anything to it a wipe over with thinners and glueing immediately seems to work.

I forgot boxwood which in woodturning circles takes a screw thread very well

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/06/2020 14:17:19

Thread: Storing & Documenting Your Tooling?
03/06/2020 10:43:35

For the little plastic boxes that drills and the like come in, I use a Brother label printer it also gets used for storage jars in the kitchen to identify flours of different types easy to read sticks well on a clean surface and even left in the sun does not fade as that was the original use for it when I brought it. The tapes come with clear background as well as other colours and you can choose the size of the font

20200603_103322 (1024x768).jpg

20200603_103250 (1024x768).jpg

Thread: Bird (feathered variety) expert(s) wanted.
31/05/2020 10:07:37

Is it any of these noisy bird taken from my workshop door can't even hear myself think as well as the fact I can hear them over some of my machines.

Thread: garden chair, wooden slats broken.
18/05/2020 18:30:48

I rebuilt two garden benches I replace all of the slats with Teak but as stated not easy to get hold of as well as being expensive. The second choice would be Oak again not always cheap but durable and resists the weather. Like most wood products they benefit from retreating every year or two.

Thread: Using a cats cradle corectly
14/05/2020 10:55:44

Is it something like in this video bot not outboard as he has done

Thread: masks and metal band around nose
08/05/2020 15:45:22

Copper wire from electrical cable seems to bend and hold its shape that is if it is not in contact with he skin as it may effect some people

Thread: A Big Thank You to all Forum Members
06/05/2020 14:40:04

Not have any set up as of yet I read many posts and enjoy the company. The help that I see here is just great and most times due to the knowledge and the willingness to pass on this information makes this a site well worth being part of.

Long may it continue

Thread: Holding glass lens for grinding
27/04/2020 10:13:28

The times I have watched lenses and the like being ground they have been done using plenty of coolant which prevents the fixing medium not to melt. So if you are able to flood cool then something like hotmelt glue would be suitable

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
23/04/2020 10:55:00

I just looked at the original posting and on the indicator in their photo it does have the correct spelling yet the one you received does not so definitely a fake and deliberate con on their part I would raise a refund and complaint. I know it was not a great amount but it is the principle of the fact.

Thread: Shiny Chrome type paint
21/04/2020 10:08:22
Posted by Martin King 2 on 21/04/2020 07:43:34:

Derek Lane, Nice item, Banksia Nut?

Martin

No a piece of boring "London plane" textured and painted

21/04/2020 00:01:37

I have used this copper spray paint which is very good they do it in chrome as well if the chrome one is anything like the copper then it may be of use to you. The inside of this was done using it

dscf0773 (773x800).jpg

Edited By Derek Lane on 21/04/2020 00:05:45

Thread: Enamel Paint
18/04/2020 22:58:08

Something else to take into consideration that thinning too much will affect the paint so thin less and if possible change the nozzle size on the airbrush. Some of the cheaper airbrushes don't have this facility

Thread: Keeping busy
27/03/2020 10:25:46

I am still gardening but have to slow down a bit now as the council have stopped collection of green waste and as I have now dug up the area that I use to burn excess rubbish have to rely on the collection.

Managed a little workshop time but only for making a bowl which now needs some bits cut and filed from some thin sheet metal

23/03/2020 16:22:44

With all of the isolation that we are meant to observe what will you be doing to keep yourselves entertained.

If this continues at least I will have veg as I have just planted loads of seeds for the veg patch. But I get the feeling that security wire cameras will be needed. The garden needs sorting out so that is another pastime to keep me occupied.

I have a small metalworking project to make if I can order and have delivered the correct metal for the job, as well as plenty of wood for my woodturning hobby

What will you all be doing.

Thread: Using EZELAP sharpeners
22/03/2020 19:12:38

The act of sharpening raises a burr depending on how you sharpen also depends on the size of the burr. By burnishing increases the burr as stated above like on a cabinet scraper. With other items that need sharpening using a leather strop will remove that burr but still leave the edge sharp. For example a woodcarvers chisel may not be put near a stone of any discription for quite some time but will be stroped numerous times and still keep a very keen edge.

However metal turning tools will need to be touched up on a stone or diamond card to keep it's cutting edge

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest