By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chuck
24/01/2021 11:11:33
Posted by john brown 17 on 24/01/2021 10:49:45:

Right machine mart sell the same looking chuck for there range of wood lathes so you can se the jaws ,am not that great with the computor to put up a picture,hope this helps

Is it the one described as Clarke 4 Jaw Chuck for CWL1000b & CWL1000cf if so it is not suitable for holding wood. Why they keep advertising them as such is beyond me unless you want to hold metal in a wood lathe. Many woodturners would not class it as a woodturning chuck. You may be better converting it for a metal working lathe.

24/01/2021 10:42:59

It may have a 3/4" X 16 but what type of jaws does it have. Yes older woodturning lathes used this thread up until recently where many lathes are now a 33mm thread. Have you a picture of the chuck

Howard woodturning chucks hold both in compression and expansion and many have various jaw designs which can be interchanged. The most common and safest is by compression as many tend to make the mistake of over tightening when used in expansion with some dangerous pieces of wood flying around when the lathe starts to turn and a tool applied. If in doubt about this I have been woodturning for 12years. Some of my work can be seen here

Thread: Making metal flowers
14/01/2021 11:21:20

I also can't see the images

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
06/01/2021 10:49:55

Sorry I missed it as I had to sort out a puncture on the car. Luckily I have all the right kit to sort it out and not have to find a tyre centre

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 12:46:39
Posted by Danny M2Z on 04/01/2021 12:02:31:
Posted by Eric Cox on 04/01/2021 10:18:10:

Once again I'm awaiting delivery of the latest issue of ME magazine (4655), Is there any reason for late delivery or am I just unlucky.

Oh dear, with current restrictions affecting publicatioin and postal deliveries you are fortunate and should count yourself lucky that any magazines were published and delivered at all.

I just received (4th January 2021) a Christmas card from my sister in the UK, it was posted 11th December 2020.

As for a reason for 'late delivery' consider keeping up with the daily news. There are a few major issues affecting our daily lives at this time..

I was absolutely astounded when all my 2020 copies of MEW actually made it to Australia.

So please be patient Eric, there are a few greater problems affecting the world than your timely delivery of a magazine. Hopefully it should arrive soon.

* Danny M *

I sent a card to a friend in Faulconbridge to the west of Sydney sent at the beginning of December but received on new years eve. So with things as they are all around the world post will be a little slower than normal

Thread: Calor gas butane workshop radiant heater
24/12/2020 11:21:01

Having read many of the replies may I suggest that the heater is given a service which is advisable for any appliance like this, as many are used during the winter and then not run throughout the summer where dust and small insects can find small crevices to hide.

What the dealer told you is something new to me as these heaters have a simple thermo coupling device that is quite reliable, the most common failure for that part is the thermocouple magnetic valve itself which can be checked with a 1.5v battery.

The flame that you describe could simply be down to collection of dust and small foreign mater which a yearly service will sort out.

Just as a small background I spent 25 years as a tool hire mechanic and every year prier to the winter spend time checking and servicing the heaters ready for the winter months. Now you need to take them to a certified gas dealer like calor gas who are authorised to do such services

Thread: Wallis & Steevens Water Cart in 1' scale
17/12/2020 16:24:14

Great workmanship I just looked through what you had done to get to this stage and it does seem a shame to have painted it, but when you are trying to get it looking like the original I understand why.

Thread: How to restore artists' brush bristles
14/12/2020 16:55:27

With all my brushes I tend to never dip more than the tip in the paint this reduces the risk of build up of paint at the top. I then clean in the correct solution for the paint type and finish by washing them with a strong dish washer solution like Fairy liquid rinse and let dry after shaping with fingers.

But to your solution give the brush a soak in the relevant cleaning agent for the paint type and then go to the last bit I put above.

I have had many of my brushes for quite a few years by following the above

Thread: Pea shooters illegal
11/12/2020 22:56:25

So buying a copper pipe will also be illigal as you can blow a dart out of itdevilcheekycheekycheeky

Thread: Airbrush Paint Advice
05/12/2020 16:50:03

I use Createx paints have had no problems with them just make sure you use a reducer to thin them and not water. The other brand I have also used is Golden but not so much of a range as Createx paints but suitable for what I want

Thread: bandsaw blades
05/12/2020 16:46:45

I have only ever brought mine from Tuffsaws. Great service and always will give advice if not sure what blade to get. Good quality blades

Thread: New Lathe at Lidl
02/12/2020 10:27:27
Posted by IanT on 02/12/2020 09:31:14:

Doesn't your bowl leak a little Derek? devil

IanT

Only slightly

Jason that is one thing that metal lathe state the size being able to turn by giving the size over the bed then over the slide, where as wood lathes only give over the bed size

01/12/2020 18:46:35

Would like to see someone turn something like this on itdevil 11" diameter

dscf8334 (800x600).jpg

01/12/2020 14:43:12

Having seen this on some of the woodturning sites I visit as I also enjoy that hobby I would tell people to avoid it as they will soon become disappointed with its limitations.

If it is kept just for making handles it may well do someone.

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
29/11/2020 21:56:42

I find that the greenhouse heater keeps the workshop above freezing to protect the machines as it works off of a thermostat it only comes on when needed to back that up a oil filled heater which I have on a timer as well as thermostat so it goes on about 9am so I can start at 9;30am once I have some of the machines running that one can go off. On the woodworking side i have a piece of carp[et on the floor which helps with my feet.

Thread: Which adhesive to use
29/11/2020 14:50:02

Have you tried This type of glue

Thread: Fastest kids toy in the world at Lidl?
24/11/2020 14:03:06
Posted by Martin Connelly on 24/11/2020 13:12:49:

Good reason to use the more usual km/h rather than kmph. I have seen KMPH on weather forecasts which is wrong for so many reasons.

Martin C

Guilty as charged me lordwink

24/11/2020 10:36:25

Either your maths is wrong or the wording I make 3Kmph as 1.87mph or are you working out scale speeddevillaughlaughlaugh

Thread: The correct bolt for the job
23/11/2020 08:58:43

I could not resist this after seeing it.

Edited By Derek Lane on 23/11/2020 09:02:04

Thread: Wood boat hull
22/11/2020 14:33:41

For lightness and room the traditional method of plank on frame it takes a bit of time but well worth the effort. There are also suppliers of fibreglass hulls but finding one in the style and scale that you want may be difficult.

As above the bread and butter method can be done and by cutting out the waste from each plank before glueing will reduce the weight early on and save trying to carve the inside.

Which ever method you choose think about prop tube and rudder tube placement before starting as sometimes it can be easier to install these as you progress with the hull construction

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest