By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Keeping busy
27/03/2020 10:25:46

I am still gardening but have to slow down a bit now as the council have stopped collection of green waste and as I have now dug up the area that I use to burn excess rubbish have to rely on the collection.

Managed a little workshop time but only for making a bowl which now needs some bits cut and filed from some thin sheet metal

23/03/2020 16:22:44

With all of the isolation that we are meant to observe what will you be doing to keep yourselves entertained.

If this continues at least I will have veg as I have just planted loads of seeds for the veg patch. But I get the feeling that security wire cameras will be needed. The garden needs sorting out so that is another pastime to keep me occupied.

I have a small metalworking project to make if I can order and have delivered the correct metal for the job, as well as plenty of wood for my woodturning hobby

What will you all be doing.

Thread: Using EZELAP sharpeners
22/03/2020 19:12:38

The act of sharpening raises a burr depending on how you sharpen also depends on the size of the burr. By burnishing increases the burr as stated above like on a cabinet scraper. With other items that need sharpening using a leather strop will remove that burr but still leave the edge sharp. For example a woodcarvers chisel may not be put near a stone of any discription for quite some time but will be stroped numerous times and still keep a very keen edge.

However metal turning tools will need to be touched up on a stone or diamond card to keep it's cutting edge

Thread: Coronavirus
22/03/2020 13:09:58

A post on another forum by a member who also is on here found THIS

Thread: What to use for New Worktop?
20/03/2020 12:08:18

When I made my bench for my workshop I added a sacrificial hardboard top which is cheap enough to replace should the need be. This means that I could make the bench from pine if I so wished with an oak border which is also hard wearing as well as hold the hardboard in place.

06/03/2020 13:00:37

Just be thankful that supermarkets don,t sell the army old style paper the waxy stuff that scratched like made when using it.

The security guard at my local shop was saying this morning that people are buying toilet paper like made. we managed to get a pack as we are running genuinely low, and there were people buying 4 or five 9 packs. Either they are afraid or they have constipationdevil

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/03/2020 13:01:07

Thread: 5 INCH GAUGE SENTINEL 8 CYLINDER UNIFLOW LOCOMOTIVE
05/03/2020 11:37:39
Is it this one
05/03/2020 09:43:44

My wife went to Screwfix for some gutter parts for my wood store rebuild and they have a notice up stating that a maximum of 5 masks for each customer. Is it panic buying or is there a shortage as they are made in China and no more being imported i don't know.

Thread: Hand Wash
04/03/2020 17:15:54
Posted by Dave Halford on 04/03/2020 14:51:22:
Posted by Derek Lane on 04/03/2020 14:28:37:

Well that is it I am wearing a mask out when shopping do you think I will get some funny looks.

005.jpg

Derek,

How long have you been Hellboy?

It may look funny but I have had a blank split and a piece hit the face shield square on sure makes you jump but worth the money I paid for it

04/03/2020 14:28:37

Well that is it I am wearing a mask out when shopping do you think I will get some funny looks.

005.jpg

Thread: Fitting Chuck Jaws
28/02/2020 17:03:59
Posted by Bandersnatch on 28/02/2020 16:57:48:
Posted by Chris V on 28/02/2020 15:47:08:

BTW it did occur to me after I had made my request that if the manufacturer have gone to the effort of supplying two sets of jaws and had bothered to number them they why would he have numbered say no 3 jaw if its correct position was slot 4! Doh!

Now I'm confused. This suggests you're talking about a 4 jaw chuck (in which case it wouldn't have a scroll anyway). The original post said 3-jaw.

As far as I know there are two types of 4 jaw chucks independent and self centreing which is a scroll type

Edited By Derek Lane on 28/02/2020 17:05:09

27/02/2020 22:25:04

if you have a set of jaws not numbered looking at the thread you will see that the first tooth on each jaw will be in from the centre slightly from the previous one. See ringed tooth on this set of woodturning chuck jaws.

dscf1483 (1024x330)1.jpg

27/02/2020 19:55:49

Check that you have not mixed the jaws up and that you have two internal and one external.

Thread: My Hercus 9 Restoration.
26/02/2020 10:18:05
Posted by Mark Eisen on 26/02/2020 05:33:58:

I have been blowing them off with my air compressor, then let them sit in the sun. 15 or 20 miniutes in the mid afternoon sun picked up on part of the vice and burnt my hands,secret the other bit I left till after dark.

You should know better with it being nearly 50deg on the veranda when you cleaned the workshop the other day.devillaughlaughlaugh

Thread: screw type abbreviation
25/02/2020 21:20:58

I also would go with Jason,s explanation. I know I am mainly woodworking but I have spent 25+ years in plant repairs dealing with many types of fittings.

Thread: Coal being phased out
25/02/2020 09:36:14

Someone with more knowledge than myself may know the answer to this question.

If the weather is down to us humans how long does it take for the "pollution" to take effect in changing the weather, if this weather that we are having now was caused by all the smoke and smog of the victorian era then with all that has been done so far must contribute to reducing the weather?

Thread: My Hercus 9 Restoration.
25/02/2020 09:17:41

Mark if it is the powder form that needs water to mix then get it dry as soon as possible and primed. I have used citric acid in the past and did forget to prime afterwards

Thread: John Attlee
24/02/2020 23:03:41

Hi John. Look forward to seeing some of the work you have done

Thread: Mystery forging
24/02/2020 20:04:21
Posted by John Paton 1 on 24/02/2020 17:17:47:
Posted by pgk pgk on 24/02/2020 16:10:05:

door knocker?

Only if they are bad at spelling - it is marked DN not DK

(I'm now hiding behind the settee!)

It could be a Chinese made piece therefore Door Nockerwink

OK I have my coat and hat ready

Thread: Wonky tables
24/02/2020 19:28:23
Posted by Bill Dawes on 24/02/2020 19:13:19:

Any of you guys work(ed) in the commercial furniture industry because I would like to know if they make a special design for cafes with one leg slightly shorter than the other, every table I have ever come across in a cafe wobbles.

Bill D.

Try cafes that only have tables with three legs that way they will not wobble or as Grindstone Cowboy says beermats are your friend

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest