By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Restoring a wooden tool box, help needed
27/09/2020 18:48:00
Posted by Circlip on 27/09/2020 12:23:15:

They also use Meths and fine wire wool for cleaning existing varnish before refinishing.

Edited By Circlip on 27/09/2020 12:25:01

Using meths as a cleaner on varnish has been used for many years and is very effective

27/09/2020 10:28:14

If the toolbox has a varnish or lacquer finish on already then an oil finish will be of no good as it relies on Penetrating the wood and the other finishes will prevent this happening. Even if you sand the box there will always be a residue of the varnish or lacquer remaining may result in a blotchy finish.

I know it is difficult but try a like for like finish if you can find out what was originally on there. Sanding back and reapply a varnish or lacquer.

Edited By Derek Lane on 27/09/2020 10:29:12

25/09/2020 10:36:04

As above with such a small amount of bow re-gluing and holding in place should do the trick. The only thing will be that the old joint if previously had glue on it will need cleaning off to allow the fresh glue to stick to the wood making a stronger joint.

Oak will hold tannin for many years even after it has dried so be aware of that a coat of varnish will help prevent some of the staining of the wood as well as metal tools

Thread: Locked out of the lathe
02/09/2020 09:55:23

I would go for the remove the complete stop button assembly and replace with a functioning one which could be used with no fear of not being able to restart as in this case. This is assuming you can get to it easily.

It would give you peace of mind knowing that if you do need to use it you can without fear of getting locked out again

Thread: Cup grinder application
12/08/2020 22:23:47
Posted by peak4 on 12/08/2020 22:15:04:
Posted by Derek Lane on 12/08/2020 20:42:15:

I could use a diamond on this machine as it has one grey wheel running at full grinder speed and a larger wheel running much slower which is for wet grinding. In which case I could run a diamond on the slow side and a white cup wheel on the higher speed side.

My next problem would be where to put it as three grinders in my small workshop could be a bit tight as it is only a 12' X 8' Shed it has got to the point that my two woodworking bandsaws now live in another shed.wink

If two of your grinders are the same, or similar, how about bolting them together, either side of a flip over shelf. That way it will only take up the worktop space of one, with the other stored hidden underneath, but without the need to fetch one from storage and swap them over.

Bill

I have thought about that but then where would I put the stuff in the cupboard belowlaughlaughlaugh talk about a workshop jammed full of so much stuff. I need a bigger workshop maybe santa will bring me one later in the year

12/08/2020 20:42:15
Posted by Ronald Morrison on 12/08/2020 11:38:15:

Select the white wheel instead of the diamond unless you are only grinding carbide or are using it in a low speed grinder. When using diamond for grinding steel where the steel will become hot the diamond (pure carbon for practical purposes) can dissolve into the steel increasing its carbon content but leaving little cutting action from the diamond.

I could use a diamond on this machine as it has one grey wheel running at full grinder speed and a larger wheel running much slower which is for wet grinding. In which case I could run a diamond on the slow side and a white cup wheel on the higher speed side.

My next problem would be where to put it as three grinders in my small workshop could be a bit tight as it is only a 12' X 8' Shed it has got to the point that my two woodworking bandsaws now live in another shed.wink

12/08/2020 15:41:35

Thank you all for the input looks like a white cup wheel would be the option.

12/08/2020 10:16:45

I have an old but working Clarke CBG8W Whetstone Grinder and wonder if I could fit either a diamond cup wheel or a stone style to this as all the ones I have looked at don't seem to put the speed recommended.

The grinder has two speeds the main grinder and the one for the wet stone.

I don't need either of these as I have a double-ended record bench grinder as well as a record wet grinder(used for carpentry chisels and planer blades)

What I will be using it for is a dedicated drill sharpening set up as I am not keen on using the others for this task as it means using the side of the wheels.

Any thoughts on this.

If I do not reply straight away please forgive me in advance as of this moment my 96year old mother is on palliative care and I may get bad news at any time not that I want it. So please bear with me

Edited By Derek Lane on 12/08/2020 10:20:11

Thread: Airbrushing advice needed
10/08/2020 15:56:44

AirbrushI have the Harder and Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1 It come with a .2 and .4 needle and nozzle set as well as a larger cup size. I find it has great control also spares are available if needed

I got mine from Air-craft.net They are in Fort William UK great service(Just a happy customer)

Edited By Derek Lane on 10/08/2020 16:03:03

Thread: cutting upholstery foam
31/07/2020 22:19:04

I have in the past cut foam with a very sharp carving knife(Not electric) took it very slow and do not apply any pressure on the foam to hold it I just rested my free hand on top behind the cutting edge. It did take some starting but got there in the end. But it was not as wide as your piece.

Thread: Guard rails and stanchions.....how do you make yours
31/07/2020 18:07:26

If you want just a single rail and will be painting them then use some split pins and a brass rod they can be soft soldered.

The other alternative is to turn you own with the number of balls then cross drill the balls for the rails this would be for larger stanchions the same as Neil shows

Thread: Today's delivery
29/07/2020 12:48:11

And I thought my delivery was bad back in January from Axminster tools. I purchased a granite surface plate and a pack of hacksaw blades the surface plate was in one box and the blades well take a look as I took this at the time of opening.

Box

Thread: Gluing metal
15/07/2020 09:14:41

As above 2 part epoxy glue abrade and clean the mating surfaces

Thread: Just for fun
11/07/2020 14:11:17
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 11/07/2020 10:33:18:

Hi Neil, only trouble is, they are not so clear on my scientific calculators, as they have a natural display, but they did work OK on the old LED ones years ago.

001.jpg

Regards Nick

Try 710.0553

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
05/07/2020 11:54:48

Very nice.

Another little tip for getting a clear finish on perspex or any other type of acrylic is the same as you did with the sandpaper is when finished use something like T cut for cars and rub that on while the lathe is turning. I make pens using acrylic but I use Burnishing cream which is basically the same as T Cut. Even for the drilled hole this can work but use a wooden dowel with it

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 09:18:11

I brought one from Chronos when they were selling some as seconds when I got it could not find anything wrong with it except a couple of small scratches, I also have a Bissel type draw unit with the draws for a4 size paper not the deep drawer type.

I am thinking of another wooden one once I can go to the timber yard and get some decent sized wood to make it with

Edited By Derek Lane on 01/07/2020 09:18:31

Thread: Hermes Parcels
27/06/2020 09:59:18

I use Hermes and have not yet had any problems that is sending or receiving parcels. My delivery driver is very good and even knows to go to the back door first.

On the other hand, the post office/parcel force seems to think it is OK to delay parcels for so long. I am still waiting for a parcel from a supplier two weeks after it was sent. Spoke to our local delivery driver who stated if it is signed for it will be delivered within a 5 days window if not it is being held at the local hub for anything up to 3 weeks.

I do understand that things may be a little slow at this time but that is just plain stupidity. Is there something that says it is illegal to hold up the royal mail or is that just for highwaymen/government.

Thread: Lollipop maybe?
18/06/2020 17:33:54

Can I ask what is the piece lower right in the compartments do you have a photo of that.

Thread: Storage of files
14/06/2020 22:27:16

If anyone wants to make a rotary storage system then THIS company have them (Just a happy customer) as well as Axminster tools

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/06/2020 22:29:13

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 14:14:05

It all depends on whether it will just be a static model or one when pushed the gears will turn or even to the point of running it on air.

For a static model, any close-grained wood will do.

Woods that would be suitable for moving gears I would suggest Lignum Vitae very close grain and takes detail well, beech is another that is suitable, also a cabinet grade plywood as that will give strength in all directions.

Those that make wooden clocks tend to go the plywood route.

Lignum vitae is hard to come by and I can't remember if it is now on cites list. If the gears are small and you want the LV wood then look for old Bowls balls before they started using composite materials.

I was very fortunate in that I was able to get 18 LV balls and I know they are not cheap to buy. Also worth noting is that LV was used as bearing material because of its oily nature which can also be a downfall if you want to glue anything to it a wipe over with thinners and glueing immediately seems to work.

I forgot boxwood which in woodturning circles takes a screw thread very well

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/06/2020 14:17:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest