By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Meunier

Here is a list of all the postings Meunier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford ML7 Oilers
03/09/2017 20:22:30

The Adams link above (2015) didn't work for me, try **LINK** and go to oilers from the main page.
DaveD

Thread: Metric vs Imperial - Practical or Traditional?
28/08/2017 16:13:14
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/08/2017 19:09:48:

One thing I do do when drawing - I denote the decimal point with a dot in Imperial, and a comma in metric, as I was required to do when I worked in a drawing office that used both..

Edited By Mick B1 on 25/08/2017 19:18:37

Same system applies when writing out a cheque in France,
e.g one thousand two hundred thirty-four euros and fifty-six centimes
would be written in UK as 1(comma)234(dot)56 but in France is written as 1(dot)234(comma)56
DaveD

Thread: ALBA 2S NC Shaper FINALLY complete
25/08/2017 21:20:06

Add my congrats too Joe, have been interested to observe progress. Re lions etc, isn't that just right for the tea-room sub-forum ?
DaveD

Thread: Bubbles in engineering combination squares!
23/08/2017 19:37:41
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 23/08/2017 02:05:13:
Posted by Meunier on 22/08/2017 21:29:20:

George, I was the recipient of such a ploy as a naïve 15yr old trainee instrument maker. Sent for a long weight I rang the bell on the stores counter and was told to wait as they were putting together a large order. The penny finally dropped a few minutes later so rang the bell again and asked what was the largest brass bar that I could carry. This was met with a grin and he came back with a 4ft length of 5in dia bar that I had to sign my life away for its return. Only problem was that the MD arrived at the shop door at the same time as me and held the door open for me to wobble through and gave the engineer an earful.
DaveD

Hi DaveD, unless you were built like the proverbial brick smelly place at 15yrs, I doubt that you would be able to lift 4ft of 5in brass bar, let alone carry it, probably weighting in at an excess of 125Kg the storeman wouldn't be foolhardy enough to bring it to you either.

Nick, I'm sure you are correct, I was long and lanky not like the proverbial brick outhouse. I suspect 58yr old memories are at play here, nevertheless it was a lumpy brass bar that I could just about carry.

Regards Nick.

22/08/2017 21:29:20

George, I was the recipient of such a ploy as a naïve 15yr old trainee instrument maker. Sent for a long weight I rang the bell on the stores counter and was told to wait as they were putting together a large order. The penny finally dropped a few minutes later so rang the bell again and asked what was the largest brass bar that I could carry. This was met with a grin and he came back with a 4ft length of 5in dia bar that I had to sign my life away for its return. Only problem was that the MD arrived at the shop door at the same time as me and held the door open for me to wobble through and gave the engineer an earful.
DaveD

Thread: Imperial tee bolts for Myford?
17/08/2017 20:29:29

I seem to remember a series in MEW couple of years ago by a N.American guy who was rejuvenating either a DoreWestbury or GHT tapping tool remarking that it was becoming more difficult in the U.S to source Imperial bearings in the required sizes due to reduced size range while Metric had better choice.
DaveD

Thread: Centre drilling long length, small diameter bar
08/08/2017 16:48:14
Posted by David Standing 1 on 08/08/2017 15:36:15:
Posted by ega on 08/08/2017 15:05:58:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 08/08/2017 15:01:04:

PolyLactic Acid

Thank you. I see they are now 3D printing brain cells!

The mind boggles.........wink 2

Or it will do when they are installed.....

Thread: Record 74 auto-vice
06/08/2017 16:56:20

Yngvar, looks like 'Colonial & Foreign Patents Pending' to me, which would have been the usage a good while ago !
DaveD

Thread: Those were the days
04/08/2017 20:38:32
Posted by Dave Halford on 03/08/2017 13:53:49:
I had a Great Aunt that used those to run her radio back in 1960 as electicity had not got any nearer to her house than the main road at the end of her lane. There was a house there that charged them for her.

+1
When I were a 7yo lad in Liverpool in 1951, one of my tasks was to take Gran's 'accumulators' glass-cased lead-acid cells, to the chemists shop for recharging.

And referring to the thread where someone wanted to do things in the 'old way', don't forget to do everything by gas light. I'm as guilty as the next for rose-tinted reminiscences from time to time but there is a reason the world was black and white in those days !
DaveD

Thread: Guillotine Problems
03/08/2017 19:15:28

Thank you John, that is indeed the one I was thinking of !
DaveD
(now book-marked)

02/08/2017 21:23:18

AndrewJ, am certain I read a thread on here some while ago where somebody asked for obscure brush availability and was recommended a company, South coast way, that would make up brushes to your spec and they indeed came up with the goods - can't find it on initial search but perhaps someone can remember ?
DaveD

Thread: Saddle Gib strip tightness wrong?
29/07/2017 21:29:42

I'm only a novice myself, Nige and don't know how an ML4 compares with an ML7 but..did you lock the saddle to the bed first ?
DaveD

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
27/07/2017 20:59:02

qte ?

I was listening to Caroline's funeral just three hours ago...unqte

Neil, I think that was the Kiwi broadcast period Ian was referring to.
DaveD

Thread: Get posting
27/07/2017 20:54:39

+1 for DPD. We get 30kgs dog-food sent every 8weeks from N.Yorkshire to S.W France and have only had 1 "lost" shipment in 5yrs. They must have a heavy-user contract with DPD because sending 30kgs costs us £7.50p.

Neil, here it's the nice young lady from DHL who has treats for our two cheeky
DaveD

Thread: Lightning photo
21/07/2017 21:10:37

You need to be careful if using a Canon EOS - some of them have a refrigerator hanging off the L/H side !
DaveD

Thread: Identifying belt type for these pulleys please
19/07/2017 19:57:11

V8Eng, double-drat, yes now you mention it - of course. Ah well, was hoping to avoid taking it all apart. Thanks
DaveD

18/07/2017 21:23:29

Re Fenner Twist Link or similar, has anybody had any success using it for replacing Tri-Leva belts on ML7 ?> Thanks
DaveD

Thread: Myford ML7 screw cutting limits
14/07/2017 20:37:20

Hi Gareth, welcome,

Brian's expert advice is encapsulated in his recent book 'gearing of lathes for screwcutting'. I have ordered a copy since my screwcutting knowledge is minimal, and as an indirect thanks to the author for being a great source of info on this forum.

DaveD

Thread: cleaning brass after soldering
12/07/2017 19:42:51

Thanks, Tim, pretty much what I had assumed and since they have been happily slurping for 18yrs without problems and still pass the 4-yearly inspections I will leave them undisturbed.

p.s if one were building a Napier diesel or aero engine would logarithms be useful ? wink

DaveD

11/07/2017 20:37:14

Out of interest, what would be the effect, if any, on the bacteria both aerobic+anaerobic, in a 2000litre septic tank of using a caustic soda solution for pipe cleaning ?

DaveD

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate