By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Meunier

Here is a list of all the postings Meunier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
15/03/2018 14:23:28

Caught this on BBC news today and wondered if Neil might be interested in 3D printing a replacement for his metal garden shed ?
**LINK**
DaveD

Thread: Twitter
13/03/2018 20:18:27

To XD +1 more, although I shudder to think how you can so confidently make that comparison ?
DaveD

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
13/03/2018 20:08:29
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 13/03/2018 18:24:21:

Interesting that in France the MOT or Control Technique is 67€ for petrol / diesel cars, 75€ for hybrid, 90€ for electric and even more for GPL (Gas powered) cars.

All going up in May though BobH, 80 tested items up to 136 items. Just as well had both of mine done !
DaveD

Thread: Dismantling an Elliott Progress drill
10/03/2018 19:53:27

Sunny, I have a similar but older and heavier Progress, ten yrs ago it was as much as two of us could manage to even lift the separated head unit although, like your pics we didn't think of removing the motor first...
Found the only way we could manage was to lay the whole thing down on the floor then dis-assemble. Re-assemble in the reverse order. It is then relatively easy to mount and tighten the head to the column, then lift by the head and bring the whole lot upright, much easier than trying to lift the head 'overhead' and set it on the column.
DaveD

Thread: Is society becoming more stupid
09/03/2018 21:11:51

SoD Dave, if you are going to include " Saggar Makers " you ought to have included "Bottom Knockers" too !
DaveD

Thread: Garage Workshop Subsidence
23/02/2018 21:06:46
Posted by Mick Charity on 23/02/2018 19:40:49:

snip / I don't know & I can never understand how my garage / workshop subsidence turned from saving a few £1000quids into a discussion on asbestos, & now it includes radium too ! /snip

There are times when any attempt at rationalisation is futile, some of those OT moments can be educational though.
DaveD

Thread: Amolco milling attachment
23/02/2018 17:22:19

I was dissuaded by my chum "it's a compromise" from buying one at Mole's shop in Watford in the late '60s/early '70s but did fall for a nice Tripan QCTP and some toolholders which are still doing good service.
DaveD

Thread: Finding authors in these postings
21/02/2018 20:19:47

Michael, just as an external comparator, your link works for me in SW France, Win7/IE11.

Gosh, I never realised there were so many Brians on here.
DaveD

Thread: Please help with fitting a Myford Tri Leva
16/02/2018 19:29:14

You are welcome, CC_B, I get a lot from this forum, happy to be able to give a little back.
DaveD

15/02/2018 15:05:54

Just done a rough measure, most with digi caliper, couple with 6in rule.

o/a length 73mm, width 19mm, 2.2mm thick material, adj slot 24mm long starting 6.8mm from L/H end, hole at R/H end about 10mm from end (best guess I could get with a slim ruler and MK1 eyeball )
Not the most accessible piece to measure so some minor parallax error on the caliper jaws inevitable but you have enough length of adj slot to compensate !
Your material choice sounds good
HTH
DaveD

Thread: Du Bousquet's "Les Grands Chocolats" in 'Technology sans frontieres'
11/02/2018 20:49:31

"Nord" in this case is the name of the railway company and would probably be quoted in English, not translated, just as "Great Western" would be quoted as such in France and not receive a French translation.
DaveD

p.s SoD great picture

Thread: Deciding on material to buy and being economical
08/02/2018 17:20:45

Araldite mixed up in those plastic lids that were kept from espresso powder, etc cans.
DaveD

Thread: Watch powered by body heat
01/02/2018 19:54:14
Posted by V8Eng on 01/02/2018 15:30:54:

Slightly off the watch isssue, but relevant I think.

I was in Aldi yesterday, on the shelf were some Stovetop Fans powered only by heat from the Stove using Thermoelectric Modules.

Link.

**LINK**

Edited By V8Eng on 01/02/2018 15:37:45

Have had its Canadian twin (exact lookalike) running since 2002, runs very reliably on wood-burner with only a dust-off of the top fins each season. It has a flat spring under the base to tilt the base up off the stove-top when temp gets up around 450-500C. The fan gets on a fair old whizz from 250C onwards.
DaveD

Thread: Anodising Questions
28/01/2018 19:45:17

Neil, if home -anodising, check with Dean Clarke 2 how he does his V4/V8/V12 aero engine anodising.
V.impressive results.
DaveD

Thread: B C wooden lampholder adaptor
25/01/2018 20:50:13
Posted by Oldiron on 25/01/2018 20:09:23:

Anyone remember when the man came round in his van on a Friday and swapped over your glass accumulators so you had a fresh set for the weekends radio programs?

Home delivery ? !!! As a 6 or 7yr old youngster in Liverpool I had to carry my nan's 2accumulators to the chemists for recharging and returning with the two pre-charged exchange units. At least they had bored wooden sleeves on the wire handles so one could 'swing' them.
DaveD

Edited By Meunier on 25/01/2018 20:51:07

Thread: G. Boley watchmaker lathe
19/01/2018 20:34:47

Was familiar with monocular and binocular but when I followed Thor's link was surprised to see trinocular microscopes. Any concerns about the strange physiognomy of some microscope users were allayed when Google informed me that the third 'ocular' was for camera usage. laugh
DaveD

Thread: battery problems
15/01/2018 17:27:19

Gordon, if your little tube is 2ml, mine has lasted three years.
DaveD

14/01/2018 21:09:55

Haven't used Deoxit D5 for contact cleaning but have used Deoxit Gold on the battery poles and the pos and neg contacts in my mechanical vaporisers with great success for several years
4.2V 3000mAh batteries putting out 5.25A at 22W and despite the frequent make/break of current flow get no pitting or arc'ing on battery poles or vaporiser contacts and no 'iffy' contacts.
Just a couple of drops on a Qtip and wipe on battery poles and contacts
Bit expensive but a very little goes a long way.
Definitely worth a try if you are experiencing contact problems.
DaveD

Thread: New Member
12/01/2018 20:17:22

David, in that youtube clip of the foundry tour, which was interesting, was the tour guide Steve 'whatshisname' from This Old House back in the day ?
DaveD

Thread: Looking for LED Lamp
05/01/2018 21:01:59
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/01/2018 20:57:33:

No takers for a tritium glow-bulb?

Yes, I have one sitting on top of the monobloc A/C unit in the bedroom. Since my wife habitually retires before me and we live in the dark dark countryside, it gives just enough (green) glow to serve as a navigation beacon.
DaveD

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate