By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Meunier

Here is a list of all the postings Meunier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ER 32 Collet Tightening Torque.
28/09/2020 21:13:43
Posted by J BENNETT 1 on 28/09/2020 17:34:25:

.....Given the relatively short length of the standard collet nut spanner there is no way I could now ( in my dotage) exert that kind of torque, particularly with the collet holder mounted in the spindle. And, even if I did manage to torque it up that much I don't think I would ever get it undone again.

at 76yr old I don't have a problem at this time but have given the process some thought for the future
Remove ER32 holder from mill spindle and assuming it has spanner flats on it,.place in vice and tighten up on the flats. Insert collet in ER nut, screw nut down on holder finger tight, insert cutter then apply 4-prong spanner to ball-bearing nut and tighten, two-handed on the spanner is now possible, wrapping spanner handle in cloth may help. This will be much easier than doing it two-contra-handed in mid-air on the mill whilst hoping the cutter doesn't fall out in the process. A rubber/hide hammer may assist with tightening/undoing the nut with the spanner.
As mentioned above, the ball-bearing nuts really do make a difference.
DaveD

Edited By Meunier on 28/09/2020 21:15:40

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
26/09/2020 20:35:01

Interesting couple of days...yesterday (Friday ) late afternoon MrsD called me to look out and a cock pheasant and his lady were strutting along inside our boundary hedge. Today at around 2pm, checked the post with the dog and returning he stood and stared. A cock pheasant on the grass, joined at speed by another male and they proceeded to challenge each other, wings outstretched and heads down. Is that what is called 'lecking' ?
DaveD

Thread: [Project 3] Dickson T1 Tool Holder
26/09/2020 17:28:37

Complete fail ! here is the missing link to the video mentioned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv30kAL2D1c

DaveD

26/09/2020 16:02:40

Following on from Jason's shaper video which I found most interesting was this automotive manufacturing video from 2008. Particularly liked the crankshaft forging part starting at 8:08 (can you guess yet what this lump will become ? )
DaveD

The interesting parts start at 2:00 in

Edited By Meunier on 26/09/2020 16:04:33

Thread: Taking Leave
21/09/2020 20:57:38
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 21/09/2020 11:55:37:

......was smacked round the head and told to stop being an idiot. embarrassed .....
Please convey my appreciation to your somewhat blunt anonymous correspondent

...like it or lump it, I'll be back....
good to hear, Arnie...

.....I'm not entirely abandoning the traction engines and other engineering.......
Sagas lose their impact if they peter out halfway

DaveD

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 20:50:06

Born Liverpool in 1944, moved to London 1951, only remember one tram journey out to Aintree when was told off for running down the aisle flipping all the seat backs in one direction then returning, tipping them all back again.
Remember taking Nan's glass radio 'accumulators' off to the chemists for recharging exchange service.
Only saw trolleybuses at Hounslow Wellington Rd terminus in 1961.
Remember Mum telling me that Dad had set off in uniform to rejoin his ship in Liverpool docks only to return next day because his ship had been bombed (before he got there) and was sunk in dock.
Photos of his destroyer on Arctic convoy duty when all the superstructure and rigging was foot thick in sea-spray ice and all crew on deck knocking the ice off before the ship turned turtle - that did happen, luckily not to his ship.
Almost too-quiet responses to questions about seeing ships going down, youngsters haven't acquired tact.
London 1952 and as mentioned above, the pea-souper fog.
Jack-the-lad in junior school had the habit (probably annoying) of finding a stick and running it along all the front-garden railings on the way home, a habit which served well for location purposes when the torch-man with the burning torch walking alongside in the gutter was the only way for the bus driver to know where he was going.
Contrasting in 1970's the treatment of council estate tenants in Harrow, where one street at a time temporarily re-housed the tenants, gutted the houses, re-roofed, insulated, double-glazed, new kitchens, sanitation, heating etc then returned the tenants with all their neighbours and moved on to the next street. In Liverpool they dispersed everybody in the street out to remote housing estates and demolished the street.
Didn't see trams again until Helsinki in mid-60's when all the trams appeared to be driven by women, and trolley-buses until San Francisco in the mid-70's
DaveD

Thread: "The Unique"
16/09/2020 17:27:52
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 16/09/2020 10:45:52:

..../ I'll be talking about "sit-up-and-beg" Fords next!

Peter G. Shaw

That might prove to be a 'Popular' subject Peter

DaveD

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
12/09/2020 21:00:34
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/09/2020 11:32:12:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/09/2020 10:26:13:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/09/2020 22:28:37:

Oh dear ... I’ve already told my brother the answer that Dave gave

What with him now being one of those authoritative Moderator types

Promotion to Moderator made me instantly more intelligent, knowledgable and wiser than other men! Comedian too...

dont know

Duly noted, Dave

Brother and I both spent some time last night looking at stuff like this: **LINK**

https://www.getrasport.com/out/media/englBedienungsanleitungSpeermessbox.pdf

crying 2

MichaelG.

Hoist with own petard Dave, methinks

DaveD

Thread: Should and what with should Sherline threads be lubricated?
01/09/2020 22:01:14

Angel Tears Oil?
Only from certified ex-pin-head-dancers, please
DaveD

Thread: Identify Home Built Clock
31/08/2020 21:26:32

No correction necessary Richard, it is indeed the regulator clock.
DaveD

30/08/2020 16:15:58

Richard,
It's the only copy I have from that period which was due for recycling.
Part6, p439 VOL195 No 4258, 14OCT2005
DaveD

29/08/2020 16:50:01

Richard, it may be of interest to you that John Wilding re-visited Claude B Reeve's musical clock. I remember seeing one of the articles somewhere between 2000 and 2010. Sorry cannot be more precise but a good bet that somebody on here can point you to what appeared to be a series.
DaveD

Thread: Any idea what this is guys & gals
25/08/2020 21:18:02
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/08/2020 20:53:39:
Posted by pgk pgk on 25/08/2020 19:44:46:
Posted by Meunier on 25/08/2020 19:23:00:

Mention of devices specially made to introduce leads me to comment....
Having on several occasions taken a few moments to regard the end of the ...ermm...endoscope before I had to lie down and wait for the anaesthetic administration, it is much smaller than the device shown...thankfully.
The doctor/nurse were intrigued that a patient would rather investigate the equipment (visually) than 'get on with it'
DaveD

p.s it takes clear, colour photos of the insides too.

In days of yore t'was fibre-optics up to the camera .. now the camera is in the tip and the body carries lights, operating channel, steering wires and lens wash/air line.
...you could have asked nicely for the video- just the thing for christmas day with the relatives

pgk

The crew doing mine told me it also carried some device for slicing off samples or polyps.

You'll forgive me if I elected not to investigate further...

blushsurprise

yes, a hot-wire cauteriser I believe, similar to a hot-wire foam cutter but much more expensive !
DaveD

p.s on the prelim visit to gastro-enterologist I asked how far up it went. He showed me on a wall diagram, with general anaesthetic, all the way to the top of the small bowel, turn left at the appendix, all the way to the far end of the large bowel.

25/08/2020 19:23:00

Mention of devices specially made to introduce leads me to comment....
Having on several occasions taken a few moments to regard the end of the ...ermm...endoscope before I had to lie down and wait for the anaesthetic administration, it is much smaller than the device shown...thankfully.
The doctor/nurse were intrigued that a patient would rather investigate the equipment (visually) than 'get on with it'
DaveD

p.s it takes clear, colour photos of the insides too.

Thread: Getting an ML7
24/08/2020 19:03:23

Follow these instructions for adding photos.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103028

DaveD

Thread: Speed change Warco Economy Mill
24/08/2020 16:10:01

Speedy5 is in the (French) ball-park.
A slab of markedly second-hand ali complete with a couple of holes, approx 300x200x40mm out of the local metal distributor scrap bin was 3€/Kg late last year. 4kg=12€
DaveD

Thread: Macro-photography
18/08/2020 16:55:56

Nick, I think it could be a flea or similar and is having a meal from the 'sticky drops' on the web.
The 1st photo he is on the thread to the right of the staggered junction, in the 2nd photo 'he'/it has removed most of the sticky buds on that thread and has moved over one thread to the right and in the 3rd appears to have mostly cleaned up to the bottom of that thread. Great photos !
DaveD

Thread: power feed for miller
15/08/2020 20:22:54

I'm resisting the temptation, I really am trying, to enquire if that will need 'Arctic' cabling ? Oh, weak-willed again.......
DaveD

Thread: Hello
15/08/2020 19:56:02

Welcome Paul, guitars ? you are in good company here, one of the contributors to this forum makes beautiful guitars, some with bent necks and 15 strings (chitarrones ) and lutes. search for Roderick Jenkins
DaveD

Thread: Holiday ware
15/08/2020 17:02:48

Ah, you can tell she is a genuine engineer's wife from the gear-wheel marks on her left arm

DaveD

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest