By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Raymond Anderson

Here is a list of all the postings Raymond Anderson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bench block for small parts - ice hockey puck
11/09/2020 17:20:34

Sacrilege.... Hockey pucks are for HOCKEY. only joking, fine to see they have a few other uses in addition to their main purpose. Another area at which the little buggers really excel at is... demolishing parts of the human body. [ been there ] smiley

Thread: Scaling back forum activity
10/09/2020 17:54:39

Sad to see Barrie cutting back, I liked seeing his input. All the best on your other forums. Hope you are getting on well with Solid Edge yes

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
20/08/2020 18:02:47

s am longley, IF the job only demands easy brickwork , what IF the job demands something other than the easy stretcher bond ? or even Granite ? 350 Facers per day thats only 5 barrows worth. Now try taking that up 7 storeys and see how PLUMB you can get it. Maybe you should try a corbelled arch or 2 No on second thoughts... just stick to stretcher bond.

18/08/2020 17:45:54

I feel every trade is "Dumbing " down these days. When I served me time [ Bricklayer ] I did 5 years. Stone masons were 6 Years Joiners were 4, now it is 5 for Masons 4 for Bricklayers and 3 for Joiners . and it's not just the Structural trades even the services trades are dumbed down. You just need to look at the quality of tradesmen now compared to even 20 years ago . I see it every day.

Thread: HSS/Tungsten Tool Honing Machine
04/08/2020 17:38:55

Superb.

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
30/07/2020 18:00:36

Stahlwille. and, NO... they are not just for the avation industry [ as some folks think ] Pricey though but superb gear.

Thread: resumption of delivery of ME to Canada
17/07/2020 17:17:36

Got out the wrong side o the bed this morning David ? Jason answered your queries exactly as a mod should. so keep cool. thumbs up.

Thread: 3D CAD software - what do you use?
23/05/2020 00:15:16

Blowlamp, Those are lovely renders. 👍

19/05/2020 17:59:19

Ian P, Looking at those specs, I would be tempted to start afresh. SSD drive is good, but the rest.. hmmm. FYI Solid Edge is a single threaded app which means it wont take advantage of a Cpu with lots of cores. Clock speed is the name of the game with SE. 8 Gb ram should be your minimum [ DDR 4 ] all depends on the size of your data sets. Will work fine with onboard graphics but a dedicated Gpu is best... again its tied into the data set size. Data set size is not just related to the number of individual parts in an assembly but also to the complexity of the geometry ie fillets, chamfers ect. Good luck,

19/05/2020 14:38:19

Barrie, no problem.. I never thought that for a minuteyes Dave Smith , you mention Catia, have you ever used Solid Edge's big brother NX.[ got a price tag to match it's power, fine if you want to sell the house and move into a cardboard box ] In fact , talking of the car industry Daimler Benz had the biggest migration in Cad history when they moved from Catia to NX. Did start to try to learn NX but way, way beyond me. Solid edge is more than enough for me... in fact, I don't think I have ever used anything like it's full capabilities. Still I mustn't derail the thread with idle chatter. Good luck to all who took up the Solid Edge offer, Keep practising...and you will be up to speed fairly quick.

19/05/2020 12:58:39

The three pics I put up in an earlier thread on Solid Edge, were merely to show just a part of what it is capable of. I usually build what I draw [ not models.. gave up on them after the aborted attempt at the Renk gearbox ] although I had no intention of trying to build the Liebherr 600tonne crane block, Siemens motor or the Forkhardt chuck. They were from earlier projects for a third party.... non model related. And merely to show the level of programme it is [ and even they don't amount to a hill of beans compared to what it is capable of doing when required.

18/05/2020 20:56:44

Tony Solid Edge all the way. The community edition will do all ( and more) that you ask of it. I use the licenced version and... the community edition is loosing very little on the cad side to the commercial edition. Cam module is locked, and Piping and wiring harness and Standard parts library are not installed in the free version. That's about the only difference. Solid Edge is actually more powerful than Solidworks. I have put a few pics of some Solid Edge models in an earlier thread and there are more in one of my albums.

Thread: Thread to discuss Solid Edge 2D and 3D
15/05/2020 07:03:21

Hans, Yes the customise options are very extensive far too much for me to write up here. If you go to the areas marked on my screenshot you will find all the help you need there. You can customise the GUI to suit your workflow.

Not sure what the GUI is by default in the Community edition [ is that the default shown in your pic ? ] either way you will be able to get it to suit your way of working.

Solid Edge is far , far removed from any of the programmes you have mentioned. It is a full blown commercial Mcad programme extremely powerful, Robust, Stable and flexible. [ don't let the extremely powerful bit put you off ] The User forum that I mentioned in another thread is a gold mine of info from Pro users of the software. also Siemens Solid Edge official forum is another first class site. Also, if you press the area at the top where the arrow is pointing that will take you directly to the GUI customise options Hover over it and press F1 will take you to a extensive help area.silid edge help areas..jpg

Thread: Siemens does not like me...!
14/05/2020 08:10:27

Danny, Go for it, you will be fine. Because it's full blown Professional Mcad software it is expected that it will be used in a Pro environment, Hence Quadro / Fire Pro Gpu's and Win 10 pro. when the reality is Win home/ Geforce or Radeon [ or wharever AMD 's latest ones are called ] SE operates on them just dandy.

14/05/2020 04:42:54

Danny, I use the commercial version on 1 workstation [ Win 10 Pro ] and 1 with [ Win 10 Home ]. runs perfectly on either Os version. I have community edition on another machine [ Win 10 home ] and again runs perfectly. Win 10 home Not supported, simply means that any technical issues the user [ might ] encounter Tech support will not help. But... Take it from me it runs perfectly on 10 home, no issues.

It's exactly the same as Using Quadro GPU'S most [ all ] Professional Mcad software will specify Quadro Cards. even though the Ge Force versions will be fine. They just won't offer any tech support if using a non certified GPU. so it's exactly the same on Win 10 Pro / Home. So IF you are thinking of trying SE out and are using Win 10 home then go for it, you will be fine.

14/05/2020 03:28:45

I only said it's CERTIFIED to run on win 10. and no other Os. Certainly you would have ( as your install shows) a better chance of success on Win 8.1 than trying the same on Linux. I'm pleased you have it running on 8.1 but... The fact remains it is certified for 10.

Cheers.

13/05/2020 17:23:00

Rod, It will run quite happily on an I5 [ all depends on the size of your data sets ]. Clock frequency is most important being as SE is a single threaded app. [ I think that holds true for all Mcad software] . . Rendering, now... that's a different ball game. Rendering in Keyshot... or in my case Vred is core hungry. It will take as much cores as you can give it. Same applies to FEA .

13/05/2020 11:57:42

Solid Edge is not certified to run on any other Os other than Win 10. I think you would have to jump through hoops, and even IF you got it to run, it would be so unstable Would not be a good experience.

Thread: A bit of Solid Edge.
12/05/2020 16:29:30

siemens motor v 23a machine shop env af  .jpgliebherr 600t  render 3.jpgFew pics of some solid models I created a while back. all done in Solid Edge and rendered in Vred [ still getting to grips with that ] The steepness of the learning curve in Vred ? ...try vertical laugh . The Solid Edge render engine is Keyshot. but I prefer Vred [ in spite of the learning curve ]forkhardt new scheme render 2 af.jpgsiemens motor v 3  machine shop env af  .jpg

Thread: Siemens does not like me...!
10/05/2020 19:12:48

Couldn't tell you, You asked if it was UK Imperial I informed you Solid Edge does ANSI imperial. Unless its the formatting. I really don't know what the difference is.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest