By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pat Bravery

Here is a list of all the postings Pat Bravery has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: speed control pcb for Clarke CL300 lathe
03/02/2011 12:43:20
Hello William, Good to know that you are up and running, you will find that the new fuses that you have fitted are the ones recommended to fit by Clarke, did you have higher value ones fitted as that could have caused the damage, best regards Pat
Thread: Newbie
28/01/2011 11:19:12
I also live in East Anglia and I have a list of friendly metal fabricator work shops that will let you sniff round the scrap metal skip for a small contribution to the tea school, it is amazing what they throw away. For copper and other alloys I use Anglia Alloys at Gorleston, they have off cuts that they will sell, no freebies there though. I suggest that you approach the metal workshops and explain that you are a model engineer and you will be surprised at the help that you get. Near you is a motorbike breaker called 'Uncle Buck' I have found him very helpful. Good luck Pat
Thread: Clarke CMD10 Mill
28/10/2010 13:51:06
Thanks Peter, that answers the question. I will look out for collet set. Thanks again, Pat
28/10/2010 13:26:41
I have recently bought a Clarke CMD10 Milling machine and I was getting on famously with it until the last week or so. The chuck is parting company with the MT2 when using it for light milling. I have removed the draw bar and cleaned the tapers with white spirit and with a hide mallet hit the tapers together only to find that the assembly parts company almost immediately. All the required gibs are locked down and there is minimal vibration, so any help would be appreciated. I am considering using Loctite to fix it but I am sure that there is a reason as to why I should not. Thanks in anticipation, Pat
17/09/2010 22:41:27
If you are OK with a small soldering iron you can change the mosfets IRFP450 two off and see if that fixes the problem, it worked for me, they are very cheap through ebay, I paid about £6 for the pair. My 300cl had the same symptoms and it has been fine since. Let us know how you get on, forgot to say that mine is a FC250J board. regards Pat

Edited By Patrick Bravery on 17/09/2010 22:42:40

Edited By Patrick Bravery on 17/09/2010 22:43:29

Thread: Ball joint/rose joint
05/08/2010 19:58:18
I used to fit these to HGV throttle assemblies, I would have thought that a visit to the spares department of your local commercial vehicle shop would do the trick. Regards Pat
Thread: Suds vs neat cutting oil
19/07/2010 22:23:24
Hopefully this is not a daft question, I have made a gravity cutting fluid system for my mini lathe and I thought that I just needed some fluid to dilute with water and hey presto. I have looked at various suppliers and I am totally confused, I last used a lathe about 45 years ago and I seem to remember that the fluid was called Tellus. I would appreciate some guidance on exactly what to get.  The gravity tank has a 2 gallon capacity and I can return the fluid to the tank with a pressure system. Thanks in anticipation. Pat
Thread: 2-stroke timing
07/05/2010 12:55:16
In my experience with two stroke motor bikes and lawnmowers I have found that there is always a timing reference somewhere. Have you looked on the edge of the flywheel and the back of the back plate, there could be a very feignt arrow head type mark. Should you find such a mark then set the piston to 3/16 inch BTDC and line the mark up and fingers crossed. The fact that there is no keyway suggests that timing is adjusted by this method. Good luck anyway. Pat
12/04/2010 17:42:36
Hello John, can I add my thanks for your info. Pat
06/04/2010 09:28:18
Hello, Whilst I would like a circuit myself I have had a few problems with my CL300 control board. There are two types of board fitted as standard and it should have a label on, mine is a FC250J/230V which I beleive is the older type. The very likely cause of any problems are the mosfets IRFP 450, they are very cheap, I paid about £3 each on ebay. They both must be changed as they are matched.  I would be very interested in how you get on with it. Best regards Pat
Thread: Brazing torch
24/03/2010 18:25:55
I also was interested in having some brazing facility and upon looking at the link to Machine mart decided to buy a torch at £27.01, I reaffirm the old addage that you get what you pay for. I tried to braze some 1mm steel plate and I gave up after 5 mins as there was insufficient heat. I had the regulator on the highest setting. I will use it for soldering and dig a bit deeper for a proper set up. Pat
Thread: Prescription Safety Specs
25/01/2010 22:09:13
Try glasses direct, you will have to google them. I am fairly sure that they do safety glasses. I can get single vision specs for under £20 inclusive from them. It is an excellent service. Regards Pat
Thread: Cutting tool protection,
13/01/2010 22:52:39
Hi Charlie, I also live in the east , Cromwells have opened a new branch in Norwich on the Sweet Briar Ind estate. I have found them very helpful. All the best Pat
Thread: failing spark plugs
19/11/2009 20:06:43
I would check the coil out as the internal insulation could be breaking down when it warms up,
Thread: Clarke CL300 Speed control
05/11/2009 00:33:20
Hi John, Yes I replaced the IRFP450 mosfets and it cured it but as you say they are only just up to the job. I have got hold of some IRFP460 ones which I have read that they are uprated ones. I got them from ebay at £3 each. I shall try them tomorrow. I also replaced the pot, Machine mart wanted about £12 for one, Maplins or ebay prices are a lot cheaper. The only thing is that the pot switch is 'make to break' I would still like to put another motor on though. Thanks for the info, Regards Pat
04/11/2009 21:28:20
I recently bought on Ebay a Clarke CL300 mini lathe and it worked fine, then after a week or so fuses began blowing, I traced the fault to the mosfet's and changing them cured the fault. Last week the lathe failed again for the same reason. Although the mosfets are cheap and easy to fit I would like to fit another motor and control system. I keep looking at my pillar drill ( also Clarke ) and wonder if the motor and pulleys could be utilised. Has any one out there had similar problems and could advise? Thanks Pat
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate