By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pat Bravery

Here is a list of all the postings Pat Bravery has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CFH Gas & Welding device kit SF 3100
29/11/2017 13:49:46

Thanks for that Rod, very helpful, Regards Pat

29/11/2017 11:28:22

At present I have a propane gas cylinder with a Clarke torch, it is OK for soft and silver soldering but is a struggle to braze with. I have been looking at the above SF3100 kit and it seems to be the answer, does anyone have any experience with it. The prices range from about £75 from Germany to £150 in the UK. I would only need it for the occassional braze and can't really justify the expense of an oxy/ace set up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Pat

Thread: Does anybody know about VEVOR lathes ?
09/07/2017 14:52:42

It looks like the Clarke CL300 and half the price and with a more powerful motor.

Thread: Stirling engine
04/04/2017 13:08:06

Thank you all, I used the lathe with Dremel and the result is perfect. Thanks again, Pat

04/04/2017 11:48:18

Hello, I need some advice. I have started to build a small stirling engine and it requires a 16mm glass test tube, I have several but they are too long so the question is how do I shorten them, they are 'Pyrex' glass which is heat resistant. I have thought about a piece of string soaked in meths and lit then plunged into cold water, would this work? Thanks in advance, Pat

Thread: Air compressers
25/03/2017 09:06:18

Hi, Try draining the tank out first then start digging deeper. Regards.

Thread: Treadmill motor.
25/01/2017 14:12:13

Hi Ron, I have got the Champion 16v mill and a very similar thing happened with my motor, try a phone call to Mark or Tony at Chester and I am sure that they will give you all the help you need. I my case I fitted a computer fan in the casing to assist the cooling of the motor and I have no trouble since. Keep us informed, regards Pat

Thread: Motor?
19/11/2016 14:03:09

Hi, On my champion mill there are 2x8amp fuses at the back of the switch box, one of these has probably blown, easy to check. Regards Pat

Thread: Sky tv
27/10/2016 12:41:06

I tried to cancel my Sky contract by phone and email which they made very difficult to do so I just stopped the direct debit and they spent the next 18 months chasing me for £67. Some of the debt collection agencies got a bit near illegal so I started invoicing them for the time and trouble which soon made them back off, all been quiet now for about 6 months. There was a consumer TV program about the way Sky operate when trying to cancel a contract so they are well known in this area. I am happy with BT now. Regards Pat

Thread: Dick Simmonds Loco Centre Erith
09/09/2016 14:59:32

I also lived in Welling from 1955 until I got married and remember the narrow gauge steam railway in Danson Park that ran alongside the lake, what ever happened to it? and I also attended Erith Tech and would wander into town to look at the shop but never went in, happy days. Regards Pat

Thread: Chester let me down Again
05/06/2016 14:57:58

I can't speak highly enough of Chester, a few months ago I ordered a Champion 16 mill and it was delivered when they said it would be and the driver was most helpful. A couple of weeks later the motor burnt out and I spoke to Tony who sent a replacement motor within a day or two without any fuss. I also made a few mods to the mill which they took a great interest in. I also bought a lathe from Amadeal and that developed a fault, one phone call and everything sorted, I can't say that I have received poor service from any of the model engineer suppliers or maybe I am just lucky. Regards

Thread: My milling machine has gone belly up
29/12/2015 17:02:05

Very similar to my Chester champion16v milling machine which went 'bang' like yours about 3 weeks ago, in my case it was under warranty so a simple phone call to Tony at Chester and a new motor was sent. When I investigated the cause I found that the built in cooling fan is insufficient when at low speed and high torque so I cut a hole in the top of the motor cover and fitted a computer cooling fan to disperse the heat and fitted a 4 amp DOL single phase starter for protection. The only simple test that I know of to check the control board is to disconnect the motor and fit a 60watt old style light bulb to the board and when switched on the bulb should glow more as the speed knob is increased. I am sure that other readers will leap forward to help. Keep us all posted. Regards Pat

Thread: Clarke CMD10 Milling Machine
09/11/2015 17:19:45

Hi, The plastic cogs have probably stripped, they are sacrificial. Remove the motor and top plate and the damage if there will be obvious. They are cheap to buy and easy to fit. All the best Pat

Thread: Chester champion V16 mill
02/09/2015 12:13:01

I have just bought a Chester V16 milling machine and wonder if there are any modifications that members have made to the head adjustment, as it is the motor cover gets in the way of the handle which is on the top of the column, it would be better if mounted on the side like the V20 also the V16 has no fine feed. I did contact Chester who sent me some photos of a modification but to be honest it looks a bit of a lash up, any ideas would be gratefully received. Pat

Thread: Locking nut
06/07/2015 07:32:56

These nuts are called 'Marsden nuts' and I remember them being used to secure a fluid flywheel to the crankshaft in AEC buses, we used to reuse them after hitting the nut with a hammer squarely to close the petals a bit, all very crude but it worked. Regards Pat

Thread: Startrite Drill
27/06/2015 16:49:39

Hi again Tim, I have uploaded 2 photos of the 'bantam' in my album, I modified it and was sorry that I sold it. Regards Pat

27/06/2015 16:41:42

Hi Tim, The Startrite Bantam has a raised ridge running from front to back on the top belt cover, rather like a 'mohican hair cut' The mercury has a flat cover. If i could work out how to upload a photo of my old Bantam I would. Best regards Pat

Thread: clarke cl 250 lathe and milling head
17/05/2015 13:17:34

Hi Danny, You say that the on/off pot is shot, remember that the on/off is different in that when you switch it on you are breaking the circuit. I think that it is called make to break type. It is not how you would expect the on/off to work. I got caught out on my CL300 some years ago. Good luck with it. Pat

Thread: Compressor ID?
03/09/2014 10:22:18

This could well be Routemaster or RT/RF compressor which had remote unloader valves and were splash fed with SAE30 oil, these vehicles were mainly fitted with Westinghouse air systems. I worked on these vehicles for many years. The compressors were belt driven from the carden shaft between engine and gearbox with 2 or 3 belts so the pulley may not be the original one. Ah memories

Thread: Need to make a spring
04/02/2014 13:20:19

Last year I got through Amazon a bench press quill return spring for about £3, it came from China in about 8 days and fitted with no problems at all. They do a variety of sizes to suit. Well worth a look. Best regards Pat

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate