By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for YAK

Here is a list of all the postings YAK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
19/05/2014 01:05:42

My Wife says I was exagerating the size as I had already had one can of Tenant's Super and was on my second but she agrees it was big.

Terry.

19/05/2014 00:40:22

I was fitting D.R.O.s to my new Lathe today when I noticed something large flying just outside my workshop door. I did not need to go outside to see what it was because it came in. It was a huge Hornet and the first I have ever seen in Birmingham. I called my daughter to come and look as it had now settled on a shelf. In this time I found my 6 inch rule and measured it, 5.25 cm, over 2 inches. My daughter arrived and was amazed, she went tearing back for the camera and arrived back with the camera and swimbo so fast the Hornet took off and headed for the doorway they were coming through. I nearly peed myself laughing, they saw it coming, turned round and the last I saw of them was running and screaming back to the house.

The last time i had seen Hornets was when I did a little work on a Farm at Hanley Childe. The old farmer Bert used to say six stings from one O them will kill a Horse.

Terry.

Thread: Should I fix my lathe stand to a concrete floor?
13/05/2014 00:16:54

I have one of these lathes, first lathe I ever bought. Surprisingly the lathe is not too bad, but the stand is crap. I reinforced mine with 1/4" angle iron to give it some rigidity.

Terry.

Thread: Myford ML7 Back Gear
27/04/2014 23:40:35

Hi Steve, it's something to do with the mainshaft. The pulleys for the belt has a phosphur bronze bush through it which seizes to the mainshaft. There is a oil nipple but it gets overlooked. Go to Myford Ltd and look at the diagrams.

Terry.

Thread: Beaver mill
18/04/2014 22:41:50

According to the article on the Midlands News they were manufacturing, with full order books.

Terry.

Thread: Arrand for sale
18/04/2014 00:15:16

Did you know that BSA Machine Tools are still with us, exporting all round the World.

Terry.

Thread: Beaver mill
18/04/2014 00:08:20

Many years a ago,

I was at my Grandparents council house when my Grandfather called me to one side. Now he was a disabled soldier of the Great War who had lost an eye and suffered a little gas poisoning , I have never understood what was Great about it, anyhow he was a man of few words who had spent his working life laboring in Birmingham's Fish Market. Now he said to me (and this was in the 1950 's) Beware the Yellow Peril. ( his exact words ) China would become the World's number One, making and selling it all to us.

It may have taken Sixty+ years but he was correct.

Terry.

Thread: Proxxon 150/E
12/04/2014 20:24:13

I had a Proxxon table saw. The claims were that it was highly accurate, the new one I bought was far from that. The blade was not even parallel to the guide and the blade could not be made to adjust to it's vertical position. Will never buy Proxxon again.

Terry.

Thread: The Glory Days of British Motorbikes
01/04/2014 23:36:39

I remember my Ariel 1000cc Square 4 which I fitted into a Norton Feather Bed frame, my god did that improve the handling. Fond memories, and no the rear cylinders did not over heat. Probably due to it's four exhausts.

Terry

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
01/04/2014 23:26:07

Hello John, it is for a Toolco 1130GV which is the same as the Warco WM 280V, but with a head stock bore of 38mm. All this for less than £2 grand.

Terry

31/03/2014 21:20:22

Seeing that many of you are doing the Stevenson tail stock mods, how can I get the details and join you?

Terry

Thread: Shed for a workshop - any advice?
28/03/2014 21:19:20

I use a bathroom balanced flue gas heater in my wooden workshop. It has been running every winter for the last five years. All there is inside is a huge cast iron finned heat exchanger (I think). The air to feed the gas jets comes in from outside and once used goes back outside. The burners are sealed inside the heat exchanger. Been in there today, warm as toast and not a sign of rust anywhere.

Terry

Thread: New Lathe leveling
24/02/2014 23:26:44

Thanks for all your suggestions, especially Thor's.

Terry.

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
23/02/2014 21:19:34

Allen the lathe is a Toolco 1130GV which is quite large compared to a Myford.

Terry.

23/02/2014 20:38:46

Jason B, you have a Warco 280, how did you do yours?

Terry.

23/02/2014 20:21:07

Thanks all, I have a suitable level and I set up my ML7 with it's leveling screws with no problem at all. It is just that this lathe has 4 bolting holes on the headstock itself. All in close proximency to each other with the tail stock mounting much further away. I think, what I am trying to say is does it 6 adjuster bolts?

Terry

22/02/2014 22:07:29

Allen, I started building Paddington in 71/4 guage a few years ago, but had to have a minor opperation and contracted MRSA which has left me with a few problems. But not to worry I am returning to the build I started of a 30cc Tethered Hydroplane Engine. My old lathe was a little hit and miss and i could not replicate items often enough.

Terry

22/02/2014 21:55:08

I have just taken delivery of a Toolco 1130GV lathe. Similar to the Warco 280VF except it has a 38mm clearance through the headstock. It is held down with four bolts on the head stock and two bolts at the tail stock. How would I go about leveling?

21/02/2014 22:05:12

Allen, I am another who is watching this thread and learning much from it. I had a lathe which was very worn and have bought a new one. So this thread has helped allot.

Terry

Thread: Anecdotes_05 ' In the dark '
16/02/2014 20:46:47

I remember Youth Hosteling in Derbyshire, with my School in the late 50's. We went down the Blue John Mine and while down there the lights were turned off to show us total darkness. It was an experience I will not forget.

Terry

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest