By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sent lathe back
21/01/2020 23:48:44

Hi there,

I also have a Cowells 90ME and this has the M14x1.5 spindle. One place you can try for spares is a site called Myford-lathes.com. It has no connection with RDG/Myford and is run by a guy called Howard. I have no connection to the site other than having bought a number of items off him for my machine. It is worth a call to see what Cowells lath parts he has in stock.

His numbers are: 01225 812155 or 07753 61042

Colin

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
16/01/2020 17:02:42

I also recently upgraded my Dell XPS8500 from Win7 to Win10. I had been good and purchased a proper Win10 licence from Microsoft. The PC never asked for a licence number and is working perfectly (using the old WIn7/Upgrade to Win10 licence.

I have been in IT since 1969 but was still dubious of doing this upgrade but it all worked ok and is still working ok. Touch Wood.

I now have a spare £80 licence. I think this will be used to upgrade my old high spec Dell Laptop from XP to Win10. Then it will migrate to the workshop.

Colin

Thread: Airline Fittings?
01/01/2020 15:05:21

And even if you buy the same type of fitting they do not always fit as well as the originals. My 45 year old connectors still seal completely whereas new ones bought recently were swapped out twice by supplier and still did not seal properly.

Colin

Thread: Win10
31/12/2019 14:42:40

Bill,

Many Thanks. Licence Product Keys now extracted and saved.

Can now use pack to upgrade my XP laptop for workshop use.

Colin

31/12/2019 11:39:06

Finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my old Dell XPS8500 desktop from Win 7 Pro to Win10 Pro 64 bit. The PC is quite high spec with i7-3770 3.5Ghz processor, 16Gb RAM and 1Gb SSD primary hard drive, 2TB second drive and a pair of 27" flat screen monitors so did not want to ruin the machine. Did this with much trepidation having read lots on Dell forums where people had had issues with drivers etc. I was pleasantly surprised as it all went smoothly. I had backed up my outlook .pst file and my download and a few other bits as most data is stored elsewhere.

Biggest surprise was not being asked for a licence number. I had bought a MS Windows 10 Pro licence ready for the upgrade. Cocked up when read the suppliers advert and brought a French pack. I just did not spot where it said French only. It does not really matter as it is only the pack in French and the licence applies to any install. May well use pack if required to update my spare backup laptop from lovely XP and keep it in workshop.

Colin

Thread: MR16 LED Spot lights
19/12/2019 17:17:40

I think one would have to be very careful. It would be very easy to plug a 12v bulb into a 240v service. It might not be you but someone else in the family not quite so up to the varying types of bulbs. Not quite sure how it would behave, but I'm not sure I would want to be near it.

Colin

Thread: Another - What is the correct name for this
03/12/2019 21:22:08

That was some very quick responses. I can understand how its used having googled with its correct name. The one I saw did look too god to be supporting work I must admit.

Colin

03/12/2019 18:44:48

I have been looking for an adjustable parallel support which I have seen several people on this site using. I have no idea what the correct name is. It looks a bit like the sketch below.

angleblockresize.jpg

The part held in with a bolt slides along the angle (in a slot) and can be clamped as required. The notch in the part that slides can be used to support objects whilst milling. The tool can be used at 90 degrees if a greater height is required.

Excuse the quality of the sketch.

TIA.

Colin

Thread: Elliott Vertical and Horizontal Dividing Head
02/12/2019 20:00:58

Bazyle.

I have double checked, the big lever raises and lowers the spring loaded arm every time it is operated.

The body which hold the lever and spring operated arm rotates through 180 degrees when the two allen bolts on the clamp mechanism are released. In the photograph the number 60 is at the top indicating the 60 notch index wheel is selected. if rotated through 180 degrees the 56 indicator is at the top.

I can understand it working the way you say. The only downside I can see is that there is not a solid stop when you reach the required position. You would have to go slowly up to that point and not accidentally go an index notch further. Working the opposite way the end block acts as a full dead stop.

I would like to try and find an original manual or photocopy to see exactly how Elliott addressed its usage. It would also be good to know what lubrication should be used on the oil/grease nipples.

Regards,

Colin

PS How are the Die Filer Arms coming on.

02/12/2019 18:16:55

Think I've cracked how its meant to be used.

Ensuring the plunger is located in an index hole, the index ring is set to the value required, e.g. 4. The chuck can then be manually rotated whilst the indent operating lever is held in the unlocked position. Just before the stop reaches the brass index marker the indent operating lever is released and the detent will drop into the next locking position. The locking levers are set to clamp the mechanism and the required operation is carried out. The index ring is again moved to the required value and the procedure is repeated.

Colin

02/12/2019 16:54:04

Bill, Yes the lever moves a detent in and out of the index plate. As you operate it the spring plunger moves in and out. The two outer rings are marked. So the one ring is marked with a 56 to correspond with the 56 index ring and the other is marked with a 60. Each of those rings is marked with the numbers of the various divisions. i.e. the 56 ring has 56, 28, 14, 8, 7, 4, 2 and the 60 ring is marked with 60, 30, 20, 15, 12,10, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. These rings do not move independently. The lever/knob which locks the ring and the stop in the ring do not allow the ring to do a full 360 degrees as it will foul on the section of casting which allows it to be mounted vertically.

I would have expected to be able to set the index plate to a value, e.g. 4 and the device would then only index and lock into 4 positions. I can understand it not necessarily being able to do a full 360.

Colin

02/12/2019 10:33:43

I have just obtained a Elliott Vertical and Horizontal Dividing Head which is in very good condition. I cannot find any documentation on this device on the Internet. Tony at lathes.co.uk does not have any information on it apart from a minor mention and picture in an Elliot catalogue. I am trying to find out how to get it to index. The top index ring which has three sets of graduations on 3 levels can be moved around by releasing the locking clamp to the left of the block sticking out of the side to left of brass index line. See photo 1.

Photo 2 shows the index lever and a spring loaded indent plunger. The whole assembly will rotate 180 degrees I understand to select either a 56 or 60 hole index plate ???

I cannot see how to get it to index a run of, for example, 4 x 90 degree turns.

Does anyone have a manual or has one of these and can tell me more.

Many Thanks,

Colin

elliott1resize.jpgelliott4resize.jpgelliott3resize.jpgelliott2resize.jpg

Thread: scam emails
28/11/2019 17:26:10

I had one a couple of days ago. I initially had a text message from a UK mobile number, albeit prefixed with a +44. Asking whether the mobility scooter I had advertised (on the For Sales on this site) was still available. I replied that it was and a short while later received an email saying that the person concerned was an oceanographer and did not have the time to see it but would send a courier at her cost to collect. I was asked to give Paypal account details for payment. the paypal website was given as www.pay pal.com. Note the space between the pay and pal. I was fairly certain this was a scam and text messaged back asking where they had seen the advert but got no response. I copied the email to a friend of mine who keeps his eyes on these sorts of things and he used a quarantined machine to go to the website concerned. It certainly was not Paypal.

Keep your eyes open for spelling issues like this. When he tested it went to a site called pal.com set up to capture details fraudulently. My mate said the fact that the phone number was prefixed +44 most likely put the guy somewhere overseas

Colin

Thread: Excel Die Filer
26/11/2019 20:34:17

Kevin,

Looking good.

I have a GHT Pillar Tool. I think I started it about 12 years ago. I never found time to complete it. Had a base, pillar arms and table, but nothing else I think I will try and do some more before I start on an Alyn Foundry CHUK2 I have just sourced.

Colin

Thread: Using the Maplin (Dremel clone) for cutting tool steel
20/11/2019 10:15:16

I have found the Dremel SpeedClic by far superior to the standard ones and they are very easy to fit. Used them yesterday to cut off the damaged ends on tool clamp bolts in a Colchester QCTH.

Colin

14/11/2019 16:53:40

Look a little better now with a coat of paint.

diefilersupportspaintedresized.jpg

Colin

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
10/11/2019 12:26:43

My machine is a Gate PBM2000 which is a Bridgeport clone. I bought it from a dealer..it was 8 years old and had never been used. I can check the height if anyone is interested. I have the power drawbar which is brilliant. Has a 3hp motor..

colin

09/11/2019 11:41:44

Bear in mind that although a Bridgeport (or Bridgeport clone) looks difficult to get in through garage doors the head will rotate through 90 degrees and lower the overall height significantly. I have just installed a Gate PBM2000 (Bridgeport clone) in my workshop and I have roller shutters and these are slightly lower than a normal garage door. It still went through. Just make sure you have the internal height. If I needed to remove the draw bar I would need to rotate the head but this is not a huge task, but hopefully will not be required very often.

As Vic says above he is glad he got a knee mill. I have found it a revelation.

Colin

09/11/2019 10:48:19

Kevin,

I used two pieces. A friend of mine came up with a piece of 35mm which I turned down to make the bottom boss. The top was a piece of 7/8" I had in stock. I bored the base out to just under 7/8" and then reamed it. Then bored out for the bottom boss at the 1 1/4". Reaming was a mistake as the reamer cut a little oversize so I had to cheat and Loctite pillar in place.

Colin

08/11/2019 20:41:26

Good couple of days and these are now ready for a coat of paint.

diefilerarms1resized.jpg

diefilerarms2resized.jpg

diefilerarms3resized.jpg

Quite pleased how they have come out.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest