By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cowell Hand Shaper
31/03/2020 22:03:39

Bob,

Look forward to seeing resplendent in new colour. I had not twigged it was the Cowells version. Having just looked at Lathes.co.uk it has certainly got a few extra mods on it.

Have fun,

Colin

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
30/03/2020 18:05:42

Finally managed to get some silver soldering to actually work. Third attempt at making burner assembly for CHUK2 flame gulper. Just have to stain and polish the plinth, unfortunately I have no stain or dark hole filler so this is likely to have to wait for several months in the current lockdown climate.

The flame gulper ran quite well with big Sievert Burner as a heat source, but does not run as fast on small gas burner. Think I will need a few more flame holes in the burner bar.

Colin

https://youtu.be/_gwCVr1dBA8

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 30/03/2020 18:08:36

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
30/03/2020 17:58:52

Started a new project making the Rotary Controller designed by Steven Ward (World of Ward). Bought the ready made button assembly and the controller electronics and display from Steve. I bought the NEMA 23 stepper and the TB6560 stepper driver several years ago but never got round to building it up. At that point in time I was going to go the Arduino route but as the creator of that software is unfortunately no longer with us I decide to go Steve's route.

Bits are loosely wired up on desk awaiting some power in order to test.

I spent last night making up a co-ordinate list to be able to mill out the holes in the front panel. Tested them on a piece of 1/2" MDF. All okay so machined the lid.

machiningfrontpanel.jpg

All okay.

Colin

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
24/03/2020 14:28:49

Just done the same thing. Still Neil willl make a bit out of it.

Colin

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner Died
16/03/2020 20:06:21

Added these comments to another thread but seen no responses so moved by problem to its own thread.

My Ultrasonic cleaner has died. It powers on okay, heats up okay, appears to start on the timer and switches off again after appropriate time but I do not get the ZiZiZi noise it used to emit. No bubbles or cleaning.

Taken the bottom of to check for problems and can see no issues. Checked all 6 fuses are okay, can see no melted or blown bits, all wires connected and good. It is model with 4 transducers.

See picture below of board.

ultrasoniccleanerpcb.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas of where or what I can test.

Many Thanks,

Colin

Thread: Dangerous Ultrasonic Cleaner Electrical Failure
15/03/2020 17:11:00

Reviving an old thread. My Ultrasonic cleaner has died. It powers on okay, heats up okay, appears to start on the timer and switches off again after appropriate time but I do not get the ZiZiZi noise it used to emit. No bubbles or cleaning.

I came across this thread whilst searching for repairing said item. Took the bottom of to check for problems and can see no issues. Checked all 6 fuses are okay, can see no melted or blown bits, all wires connected and good. It is model with 4 transducers.

See picture below of board.

ultrasoniccleanerpcb.jpg

Any ideas on what to look at, check next, or do I just scrap it and buy another.

Colin

Thread: Way oil vs Chain bar oil vs motor oil
14/03/2020 11:33:41

I have a almost new condition PBM2000 (Bridgeport Clone) with auto lubrication. I looked at the prices for Vactra 2 (vg68) way oil. Can also use this on my Myford and Colchester lathes and other machines. Some of the prices being charged are absolutely ridiculous for 1 litre and even 5 litre bottles are ludicrously expensive. £13 and £52 respectively Did some searching and found a local supplier who did me a 20l for £68. He forgot the VAT when quoted but he honoured the price quoted. At the price I paid it was £3.40/l with the VAT it would have been £4.08/l. This is a hell of a lot cheaper than the prices via Ebay etc. for even generic VG68 products.

I have another local friend also with a Bridgeport clone with auto lube so can keep him supplied as well if required.

It would pay to club together with friends in your local club and buy in bulk.

Colin

Thread: Lubricating Cowells ME90 leadscrew bearings
10/03/2020 16:55:39

There is another oiling point on the gear quadrant.

Colin

Thread: Super 7 lubrication
06/03/2020 14:44:02

The Haythornthwaite document is very good, keep a printed and laminated version by the lathe.

Was looking for another pump gun so as to have one with Vactra No. 2 and the second with Nuto 32 so have just ordered one of the Pressparts ones.

Colin

Thread: Complicated post
06/03/2020 11:32:27

Bill,

You beat me to it. I have great respect for Ketan and his honesty and enjoy reading his reasoned posts and as you say that was certainly not biased.

Colin

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
21/02/2020 17:43:56

Finished off three out of four new chuck back-plates for Cowells ME90 lathe, Have just upgraded spindle to later M14x1. threaded nose. Purchased a few of the Arceuro 62mm backplates and shrunk them down to the requisite size. Cocked up the one for the 3 jaw chuck due to a config error on the DRO, so shrunk it down lots, put a sleeve on it and fitted a modified M12 backplate to it. Switched to ER16 collets rather than the Cowells original, the 4 jaw chuck one worked out okay. Just waiting for one more to remake for the 3 jaw chuck.

Can now move all chucks between Cowells ME90 lathe, Cowells Mill, BCA jig borer, Aciera F12 and Myford S7.

cowellschucksres.jpgColin

13/02/2020 19:25:52

Managed to get my Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper CHUK2 to run. Just finished building this and its my first engine other than a couple of Elmers No.19 engines a few years ago.

Quite pleased with how it come out. There is a build log on MEM site.

Colin

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 13/02/2020 19:27:37

Edited By JasonB on 13/02/2020 19:49:40

Thread: What bench drill
04/02/2020 12:14:35

I would be looking at second hand Meddings, Pollard or Fobco or similar on EBay. I bought Fobco for £200 and it was in excellent condition

colin

Thread: Hoist Frame
31/01/2020 10:21:25

Paul,

Many thanks for the maths response. Good to know the (simple) maths/physics says it is ok. I could not bring the term 'bending moment' to mind.

Colin

30/01/2020 23:12:15

Mike,

That's an interesting thought. Bridgeports have a mounting point at the rear for cherrying heads or slotters.

I will have a look at that idea.

Colin

30/01/2020 22:30:33

Chris,

I have hydraulic lift table with the the big indexing head, a big rotary table and a further indexing head. Problem is I cannot always get it close enough to the machine. At 67 Kg it is awkward to even slide off the trolley to the mill table. OK I should have bought a lighter one, but the deal was too good to miss.smiley

Colin

30/01/2020 21:27:24

Nick,

Never gave it a thought to using wire rope for the extension. That will keep it all flexible. You've just made my mind up 100%.

Chris,

Many thanks for the offer. Will give you a call.

Regards,

Colin

30/01/2020 19:53:00

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I had wondered about using 41mm x 41mm unistrut and bolting it across a number of roof joists. Ceiling is plastered and there is a room above so reinforcing would not be easy, and was worried as to whether the ceiling joists would take the load.

I think I will go with the route used by Cornish Jack and make up an extended inner section. I already have a similar hoist. If necessary I can always put an additional support half way up the scaffold pole, so it has three fixing points. I cannot fix to any other wall area, a) because other machines are in the way, b) the wall is single skin between the pillars. The pillars were put in to support RSJ's which are used to support the double skin wall for the upper floor.

Colin

30/01/2020 11:12:59

Clive,

Pole location is my issue. There is a row of three heavy duty shelves where the pole would ideally need to be located. My wall pillar is about 1.3 metres away from machine.

Bill,

That is exactly what I am looking at using but the extension arm would need to be lengthened to give me a hoist position about 1.5 metres from the wall. The question is would it then hold the weight of hoist (identical to yours) and the weight of the indexer at around 67Kg.

Could you please let me know he height of your roof and the distance from the hook to the ground. I would also appreciate it if you could chdck the hook to floor distance when the hoist cable is doubled round a pulley.

Colin

29/01/2020 21:54:07

Has anyone used one of the hoist frames advertised on Ebay. You would normally mount your own electric hoist on the frame. They usually come in several versions, extending and non-extendiing. The assembly is bolted to a 48/50mm steel scaffold pole fixed against your wall. The short one (750mm long) with a 600 Kg load capability and when extended (1100mm long) 200Kg.

I need to pick up a indexing head (weighs around 67.5Kg) and be able to put in on the table on a Bridgeport sized machine. Problem I have is I have not got a brick pillar close enough. I really need a overall length of around 1.5 metres.

I am wondering whether if I replaced the extension arm with a longer one what the load capacity would reduce to, and would it be safe. So long as it would take between 80-100Kg.

The indexer is on a hydraulic table but not always easy to get this next to the machine.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest