By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clive Sinclair
23/11/2021 20:53:26

That first picture reminds me that I have one of the original IBM Model 64 computers up in the loft (dates back to 1983), one of the first few in the country). Complete with monochrome screen, keyboard, and 5.25" floppy disks with the operating system to be used in the twin 5.25" disk drives. 64Mb RAM at the most.

Colin

Thread: 80th birthday
21/11/2021 15:45:35

A year ago for my 70th I had a flight in a Tiger Moth at Duxford from my car club mates. That was a fantastic present.

For my 71st I bought my own present, a nice new Caterham 420R sports car.

Colin

Thread: Excel Die Filer
21/11/2021 15:19:10

All my first batch of castings have now gone out to various people on this forum and MEM. I have been asked for a further set, so currently I am waiting to collect three sets of castings from the foundry, with one set promised this leaves two sets available to anyone who is interested. Please PM me for further details.

I see there is a Die Filer for sale on Ebay at present for anyone who may be looking.

Regards,

Colin

Thread: What is it
30/10/2021 21:12:04

I hate to say it, but I know I have several somewhere, BUT cannot for the life of me remember what I used to use them for. I think they are in with my cylinder head porting/valve grinding bits, so Kiwi Bloke may well be correct and so may Sam (holding emery cloth to polish ports on cylinder head).

Colin

Thread: Oxy propane welding kit
19/10/2021 13:03:53

I have rented oxy acetylene bottles, Co2 and Argon from BOC as a private individual for the last 50 odd years.

Colin

Thread: Gabro folder HELP!
11/10/2021 12:54:50

That looks good. Material has arrived for the packer, and the pins you sent arrived last week (thank you). Think will remove the existing top bar and clamp the two together to ensue holes in right place.

That folding looks great.

Colin

Thread: Hermes and current petrol difficulties
10/10/2021 15:03:37

I have a petrol Primus stove which is a great little thing

Thread: (old) Proxxon BFW 36/E vs. (new) Proxxon BFW 40/E
06/10/2021 16:05:47

I must admit to having a Proxxon BFW 40/E Mill/drill, which I have had for 12 years or so. I was not using it for metal work. It was used for making 12th scale doll house furniture and also as a wood router. I have used it when drilling/milling small brass items where the high speed is quite useful. The X and Y axis work ok although as with most things there is backlash. I had intended to fit simple cheap DRO's to this never got round to it.

To move up a size where accuracy is desired then I use a Cowells B100 vertical mill. Although this does not have a quill I have not had a problem drilling with it. Because it is a knee mill the weight of the table and knee (have up to now) prevented any grabbing of drills when breaking through brass of steel material.

Anything bigger gets done on the big Gate PBM2000, which is a 3HP version of a Bridgeport mill (which replaced a Chester Super Lux which was giving me problems).

So in my case it is horses for courses. I appreciate not everyone can be in this situation.

I looked around for quite some time for the Cowells and in the end it came from an advert on this site. Luckily I saw and responded to the advert before anyone else and had to travel 150 odd miles each way to collect it. I would certainly recommend it as a nice well behaved small mill, albeit expensive. I have upgraded it with 3 axis DRO and I have fitted a hex drive to the upper handle and use a small palm sized cordless screwdriver to raise and lower the knee rapidly. Much kinder on the shoulder.

The other thing I like about the Cowells is with it on a suitable height table and sat on a chair you can get very close to the work being undertaken. Note I do use polycarbonate screens and safety glasses when working this close to the machine.

Colin

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
03/10/2021 15:23:47

Finished turning backplate fir Myford for a 5C collet Chuck I had bought via Facebook marketplace. The backplate was a new one I had had in stock for a few years. God it was hard material. Eventually broke through the hard stuff and got the register a lovely fit. Over to mill and used Division Controller to drill and tap the three M8 mounting holes.

Mounted Chuck to backplate and mounted on lathe. Now the moment of truth. 1/2 thou verdict gauge did not move at all in the collect taper. This was a good sign. Put 1/2” collet in with drill blank and set the verdict up again. No movement of the needle at all. Put lathe in drive and still no movement.

Really pleased. Along with the collet Chuck I had also had 50 collets. All for less than the cost of a new Chuck from any of the usual suppliers.

Colin

02/10/2021 15:45:44

All bending plates now made. Cocked up on packer plate as order 5mm not 3mm thick. 3mm should arrive in next day or so. Think I will remove the existing base bar with the dowel holes from the folder and clamp the raiser bar to it in order to correctly locate the two dowel holes. That might be tomorrows task. Just mowed almost 1/2 acre of grass in the pouring rain. Lawn looks better but I am a trifle damp.

Colin

Thread: PM Research#1 Cylinder Can it be saved ?
27/09/2021 20:34:01

If you have a look in my album you will see some photos of a similar situation. I had bought a Stuart 10V which had been well butchered. I had to machine out the inlet and exhaust ports and then machined a brass block which was JB welded into place. This worked very well.  The solution was shown in my Resurrecting a Stuart 10V series of posts.

Colin

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 27/09/2021 20:36:06

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 27/09/2021 20:36:42

16/09/2021 11:50:20

It is a very versatile machine. I have not used half its capabilities. It does a great job of putting rolled ends on aluminium sheet. Just fit a piece of tube of the required radius over a length of the right angled hold down bar and fitted between the support arms. Pull the clamp lever lightly down and then raise the folder arm. Release the clamp arm slightly, slide the work material in a bit further and then repeat. Keep going till required radius achieved. I made hundreds of aluminium panels in this way for work.

Colin

16/09/2021 10:50:33

Material now on order.

Colin

16/09/2021 10:26:22

Baz,

Thanks for confirming that. Hillclimber and I can now source suitable BMS stock to manufacture our missing bits.

Colin

15/09/2021 21:59:03

Hillclimber,

I cannot reconcile your comment about the bed being displaced 1/8" rearwards. If you look at instruction 2 in your initial post it states:

2.Fit the Bed Raising Plate on to the Bed with the front edges level, after sufficiently retracting the Adjuster Screws.

I wonder if Baz could confirm whether the roll pins in his 1.5" x 1/2" x 24" bar are on the centre line, i.e. 3/4" in from each side of the bar. Perhaps this is not an original and was made by the previous owner.

Based on cost of piece of bar I think I would want to get the width right first time.

Have not as yet found any 90mm x 6mm, but can find 100mm x 6mm. It may be a case of milling off the unwanted 10mm.

These extra bits will certainly make the folder more versatile.

Regards,

Colin

15/09/2021 21:09:46

I too will be searching for suitable bright bar to make the missing pieces.

Colin

15/09/2021 13:12:29

img_0831.jpgThe top photo shows the bending channel front and in the second photo (on its side) you can just see the spacer bar.img_0832.jpg

Colin

15/09/2021 13:05:12

Hillclimber,

I have just checked my 620 folder.

The bending plate channel front is 24" long x 1.75" high x 0.25" thick.

The bending plate bottom spacer is measured as near as possible 22.25" long x 0.750" tall x 0.375" thick

On my machine this gives a slot as near as possible to 1" in depth.

The documentation lists the bending plates as being 90mm x 6mm in lengths of 600mm, 100mm, 50mm, 25mm, 12mm.

The bending plate packer just says it is 3mm thick.

I do not have a Bed Raising Plate or the bending Plates or Packers and will now get some made.

The bed on my machine is 1.75" wide so I would have expected the bed raiser plate to be the same width.

Colin

Thread: Mill vise and rotary table
25/08/2021 11:36:05

Just one 99% of the time. I have Bridgeport sized machine and the 6" Bison vice is rather large and fitted in centre of table. I had a job the other week which required the large 10" rotary table. Left the vice on, centered the rotary table under quill and mounted the job. Only to find about 10mm short on X axis movement. Removed every thing, took vice of and put RT in middle of table. Because of the weight of the vice, rotary table and Bison indexer I would rather have them in middle of table than overhanging the knee and risk flexing the table.

Colin

Thread: Amazing Engineering Video
21/08/2021 17:17:44

An absolutely stunning piece of work.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest