By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
16/10/2020 12:41:20

David,

Just created new drawing and no issue. Its not a missing message, its just a problem encountered but when click OK it proceeds as normal and loads and displays okay.

There must be something weird with that particular drawing. I'll live with it.

Thanks for help.

Colin

16/10/2020 10:13:06

David,

It is the 3D part. Do not get this with the few things I created with earlier version.

Colin

16/10/2020 09:45:53

When I open the drawing I have created I am get a message as per the following

Warning - Problems encountered opening "filename"

This also occurs if attempt to create plans.

As soon as click on okay the drawing or plans opens quite happily.

Any Ideas?

Colin

15/10/2020 23:12:08

Bazyle,

I had exactly the same thing happen. Reinstalled previous version and then did the upgrade from utilities menu

all appears okay. Do get one odd message but will query this tomorrow.
colin

15/10/2020 17:53:59

Mark,

Thanks for that notification. I had only last week updated to the previous minor release. Version 2.2 now installing

Colin

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 20:34:35

I have been chased by several of the electric companies to fit a smart meter. It appears their Sales teams do not realise that they do not (as yet apparently) have smart meters that will work on 3 phase.

Colin

Thread: Key steel
12/10/2020 16:44:42

BearingBoys also sell keysteel off their website at what I thought were very good prices (no connection just a satisfied customer).

I think I only paid £4.50 (post free) for two lengths of 18mmx11mmx180mm. They do shorter lengths and lots of other sizes.

Colin

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
12/10/2020 11:56:29

David,

Thanks for confirming that. Just been through a rather long update of Radeon drivers and stills saw no change.

I took a screenshot and saved a .jpg and then loaded that via the Image option. This looks ok.

Thank you for your help.

Colin

12/10/2020 11:23:28

David,

Have tried several models and in all cases option is greyed out.

Reset User Profile and this made no difference.

Running Win 10 Pro 64bit, Intel i7-3770@3.4Ghz 8core, 16Gb RAM

Radeon has 2048Mb RAM

The Radeon driver is quite old so I am downloading a later 2020 version.

Colin

12/10/2020 09:30:43

David,

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 7770 and Advanced 2D Rendering is enabled.

Colin

11/10/2020 17:58:07

How do I add the picture shown in image above to the printed drawing. I can get it to show as an isometric line drawing in whichever aspect I want but not as a shaded picture.

The viewing type shows Standard, Draft and Shaded but will not select shaded option

Thanks,

Colin

11/10/2020 13:50:58

Jason, Neil,

Thanks for your help. I ran through the MEW course when first had the software but not used for the last year due to other issues getting in the way. Need to try and use it every week.

Going back to the existing sketches I can now see them. I think I was expecting to see them on subsequent sketches. I was extruding a hole and then going back to extrude another hole around it (in a subsequent sketch) to produce a counterbore.

I will try and see if can copy and past them from sketch to sketch. If not is is maybe better to add fixed lines as references and then delete them at the end.

img_8444.jpg

Just want to add some threads now into some of the holes, in particular the two in the slot.

Should this be as simple as selecting the sketch of the hole and using Cut Helix and setting pitch to thread pitch and the depth to the thickeness of material.

Colin

11/10/2020 12:13:15

I have managed to get the linear patterns of holes onto the fixture and also the slots for tenons.

If I put reference lines (construction lines ?) on the drawing to simplify location of holes, why is it every time I go back to make a change the reference lines have disappeared. Should I be able to switch the reference lines on and off?

Colin

10/10/2020 11:55:25

Jason, David, Neil,

Thanks for your support. Hopefully will have a another look at this over the weekend.

Colin

09/10/2020 13:02:01

I am trying to draw up a fixture plate for use on the mill. This will be dual purpose, in that the primary use will be to hold a Bison 200mm indexer so it fits across the mill table (Bridgeport clone). As I was able to source a large piece 330mm x 423mm of 7/8" aluminium tooling plate, I though it would make good fixture plate.

I have created an extruded block of the requisite size and a single extrude hole 10mm dia and then used the linear pattern tool to create a matrix of holes. What I cannot see how to do is select them all so that I can then extrude them all. I will then need to align them in correct position.

Any help gratefully received.

Colin

Thread: Looking for a very small lathe.
08/10/2020 14:50:48

I also have a Cowells ME90. I upgraded this from the M14x1.5 spindle to the M14x1 spindle so as to be able to move accessories around between my Cowells lathe and Cowells Mill. I can also use them on Aciera F12 and a BCA.jig borer. Also have M14x1 adaptor for the Myford.

I think it is a well made machine. I have in fact upgraded both the mill and lathe to have DRO's on all axis's.

Colin

Thread: How to identify climb milling?
02/10/2020 16:00:55

Someone put up what I thought was quite a handy reminder of climb and conventional milling.

(may have been JasonB - but I'm not sure).

img_8388.jpg

Hope this helps.

Colin

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 21:23:40

Welcome Joe.

If you are into simple electronics then may I suggest you take look at Yuriystoys website. You will find some software called Touch-DRO which will run on an android device. He also markets controller boards (or you can build your own based on the circuits on his website. The quadrature version controller can work on Glass or magnetic scales such as those from Machine-DRO or there is a controller which can work on the cheaper capacitance type of scales. I have used the quadrature version on several of my machines.

Colin

Thread: WM16 or SX2
20/09/2020 20:32:39

If thinking of a DRO, take a look at Touch-DRO. This is free software which runs on an Android tablet and provides the display. The scales can be either glass, magnetic or the capacitance type shown by Dave (SOD) in earlier post. These are read by a controller you can make yourself (which uses a Texas Instruments MSP430 chip) Have a look at www.yuriystoys.com.

I use this software and controller with magnetic scales on my Cowells lathe and mill.

Colin

Thread: Taking Leave
17/09/2020 10:22:56

Andrew,

I also hope you will reconsider in due course. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, especially as you use larger machines such as the Bridgeport mill. I am just a learner on one of these machines and input from people like yourself is a great help.

Regards,

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest