By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Heseltine

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Heseltine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
10/11/2019 12:26:43

My machine is a Gate PBM2000 which is a Bridgeport clone. I bought it from a dealer..it was 8 years old and had never been used. I can check the height if anyone is interested. I have the power drawbar which is brilliant. Has a 3hp motor..

colin

09/11/2019 11:41:44

Bear in mind that although a Bridgeport (or Bridgeport clone) looks difficult to get in through garage doors the head will rotate through 90 degrees and lower the overall height significantly. I have just installed a Gate PBM2000 (Bridgeport clone) in my workshop and I have roller shutters and these are slightly lower than a normal garage door. It still went through. Just make sure you have the internal height. If I needed to remove the draw bar I would need to rotate the head but this is not a huge task, but hopefully will not be required very often.

As Vic says above he is glad he got a knee mill. I have found it a revelation.

Colin

Thread: Excel Die Filer
09/11/2019 10:48:19

Kevin,

I used two pieces. A friend of mine came up with a piece of 35mm which I turned down to make the bottom boss. The top was a piece of 7/8" I had in stock. I bored the base out to just under 7/8" and then reamed it. Then bored out for the bottom boss at the 1 1/4". Reaming was a mistake as the reamer cut a little oversize so I had to cheat and Loctite pillar in place.

Colin

08/11/2019 20:41:26

Good couple of days and these are now ready for a coat of paint.

diefilerarms1resized.jpg

diefilerarms2resized.jpg

diefilerarms3resized.jpg

Quite pleased how they have come out.

Colin

02/11/2019 22:44:16

Finally managed to make some progress on my set of castings. The pillar support just needs the upper arm fixing in place (this I think was pinned but I will Loctite and pin it) and drilling for the lower adjustment pin. The arms still require a .lot of work. I drilled the first one out to around 13/16", then bored it out prior to reaming it 7/8". It was an easy fit on the arm, so I bored the second one out to 0.872 rather than reaming it 7/8" (.875). This was a nicer fit.

First time using the boring head and using the automatic downfeed on the Gate mill. Worked brilliantly. I made a go/nogo gauge (.863/.873) and this made things a lot easier. Raising and lowering the knee by winding the handle (to check bore size) is not lots of fun but I intend fitting a power feed to the knee in the near future.

pillar&armsresize.jpg

I am really pleased with the castings, the quality is excellent. Providing I don't make any mistakes my spare support arm castings should be available for anyone else that requires a set.

Colin

Thread: Economy Hit & Miss Engine Build.
26/10/2019 09:27:58

Jason,

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that was what he had done but wanted to confirm.

At present I am reading through the plans book deciding where to start. I need to finish the Excel die filer arms I have just had cast first.

Colin

26/10/2019 08:37:44

Thanks, Jason

25/10/2019 21:26:34

Nick,

Very nice job on this model engine. I have just bough the castings from Engineers Emporium and the small parts kit. I note that the cam is just the 6 mm thick and does not have the extra 6 mm to turn down to press into the bore of the gear. How did you do this as its was not entirely clear(to me) by looking at the photographs.

Thanks,

Colin

Thread: DRO magnetic encoders - generic?
17/10/2019 18:20:53

You could also look at the Yuriystoys web site at his TouchDRO project. I use Machine-DRO magnetic read heads with a simple control unit made to Yuriys plans and using an Android tablet as the display. Youmcould use as large or as small a tablet as you want (sofware version permitting) and it connects via Bluetooth so can easily put the display where you can see it.

Colin

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
17/10/2019 08:12:16

I am just going through this process on my 98 year old fathers behalf so we can sell house when required. Lease had 46 years to run Freehold cost £10800 + survey and solicitors fees (plus vat on fees). With such a short lease time left Banks/Building Societies will not give a mortgage.

Colin

Thread: Issue 286 - Bridgeport Article
30/09/2019 16:28:51

Andrew,

I enjoyed reading your article. I gave a Gate PBM2000 which is a Bridgeport clone. It is interesting to see the range of jobs which you manage to do on your machine. My machine came with a Power drawbar and it is a great help particularly with a duff shoulder.

Regards,

Colin

Thread: Excel Die Filer
28/09/2019 15:10:07

Waggoner and Bazyle

You both have PM's.

Regards,

Colin

28/09/2019 15:09:15

Now have the final casting

excelpillbaseres.jpg

Three views with pattern on RHS.

A Full set looks like this.

castfullsetexcelres.jpg

Colin

21/09/2019 12:21:37

Jeff, Mike,

Thank you. At least if I cock up the machining I have a spare (or two).

Colin

21/09/2019 12:10:03

Kevin see my PM.

if anyone else would like a set please PM me

Colin

20/09/2019 23:20:59

I went to collect my casting yesterday morning. Superb quality. Will have a few spares for sales. Took pattern in for the third casting I require and it should be available next week.

img_6098.jpg

Colin

Thread: Chester 836 Milling Machine
02/08/2019 11:41:53

Graham,

Up in the Midlands near Lichfield. My wife has a very good friend who lives in Woodstock.

Colin

02/08/2019 11:05:01

Graham,

My right shoulder is not good so the powerfeed on X and Y and particularly the power drawbar are a godsend.

Nice to have someone with the same machine.

Where are you located.

Colin

02/08/2019 10:20:27

Graham,

Glad to see you have found a PBM-2000. Alain is very helpful. I m shortly going to get a power feed for the Z axis. This will save me problems with my shoulder.

Best Regards,

Colin

Thread: It's not engineering but
01/08/2019 21:08:11

Those all look very good. My father made many superb dolls house furniture items and had a number of articles published. We have several dolls houses and I have made furniture for several of them. I also had ago at something a bit different.

gunclosed.jpg

gunopen.jpg

gunparts.jpg

This is in a thatched country cottage dolls house.

Carving the trigger and barrel release were fun and then fitting them.

Best of luck to your wife with the furniture.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest