By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john fletcher 1

Here is a list of all the postings john fletcher 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grease Myford Super 7?
10/11/2019 12:33:58

I have the Myford hand book and are unable to find anything about grease, just oil. I used hydraulic fluid which matches the approve specification Esso Nutto 44, mine is a Shell product. Almost any agricultural agent, earth moving equipment dealer, ships chandler has an equivalent. Take along a clean plastic milk container for a litre, should be around £2.50/3 by now. John

Thread: AVO 8 Mk2 meter wire size
30/10/2019 18:45:36

For any thing AVO I suggest you join Vintage Radio it is free. Members have a vast know of any thing AVO, circuit diagram, manual etc are readily available. I think you are on a looser attempting to satisfactorily rewinding the very delicate moving coil. To remove iron filings use a wooden tooth pick and some blue tack. You are correct for the resistance and current value. John

Thread: Buying a Propane Torch
29/10/2019 14:43:25

Hello Andy, I have a Bullfinch for sale. Would you like to send me a PM. John

Thread: ww2 jeeps
24/10/2019 16:31:39

We never had amphibious JEEPS like that when I was in the army. Willis or Ford 6 volt Workhorses, simple to work on, rugged, drank petrol but that didn't matter, fill it up. Next, the Landrover much more complicated, easily damaged and off the road, followed by the disaster, the Champ.John

Thread: VFD Instructions
18/10/2019 16:53:03

If the parameters are set correct no problem using a small motor with a "large inverter". If the inverter for £50 or so is a Huanyang make, and by the appearance it is, I have a program/setting list which I have used for my friends and which you can have a copy. I wish to add, I'm no expert at all, if I can do it I'm sure you will.There appears to a lot of mythology regarding these devices, most of the facilities available are not applicable to the hobby/home workshop users, so just forget about them and ignore them. I think it is good to get away from single phase motors,I know they have been the work horse of the Model Eng. workshop for many years but things have moved on .Some of the currents settings will need to be adjusted/altered for a smaller motor, but once you get the hang of it, as always, you will kick yourself its so easy. As the control voltage is low. it is also easy to make your own control box to give F&R, jog, and speed, unfortunately Maplins have now gone. Little toggle switches and 10K ohm pots are available on the net.Finally, there are some excellent videos on youtube on inverters programming. John

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
07/10/2019 14:25:33

Switch OFF and leave it that way, until you have had the motor, Dewhirst switch and all the wiring INSULATION tested using a Megger or similar tester. Hopefully you know of an electrician, its a few minutes job. You mention bonding, Myford motors are usually resilient mounted using rubber bushes on the motor cradle. There needs to be an uninterrupted earth connection from the motor case to the motor mount/cradle, to the cabinet, Dewhirst switch and the 13 amp plug. You mentioned using a proper motor starter fitted with NO-Volt release, that is the proper way to go, select direction of rotation using the Dewhirst , then press green button. John

Thread: 3 Phase
29/09/2019 09:28:03

Hello David, your motor is connected Star and needed to be re connected Delta to work from your inverter. Have you or a friend a multi meter, as you need one to locate the other end of the three wires at present connected to the terminal N. Assuming that the wires on terminal N to be the number one ends of each of the three winding and the 2 ends to be connected to terminals A,B,&C as shown in your picture.

Lift off all the wires from N and with one meter lead connected or touching say A, touch the other lead to one of the three wires previously connected to N. Mark the wire. Do the same to B and C. Now connect A 2 to B one, then B2 to C one, finally C2 to A one. Job done. If the direction of rotation is incorrect SWITCH OFF and exchange a pair of the output wires from the inverter. John

Thread: Water in fuel
24/09/2019 16:50:52

When I worked for BR in the 1960's, diesel arrived in large tankers by rail, it was off loaded into large storage tanks each mounted on a slight gradient. It was the duty of the fuel storage operator to open the bottom water tap of the tanks every day to drain away the water. It was surprising just how much settled water there was in the tanks. That of course was why the tanks were so mounted, water being more dense than fuel oil. John

Thread: Motor wiring
14/09/2019 17:55:37

It's not easy to reverse some of these motors. As you say you need to reverse either the start or run winding, just one NOT both. I have had a few similar motors in pieces and one thing to note is the centrifugal switch is at the drive end. The capacitor is the clue as it is in series with the start winding so one end of the start winding is available but the other end takes a bit of finding if at all possible. I hope your motor is rotating in the correct direction and doesn't need any alterations. John

Thread: Current leakage om CNC
12/09/2019 17:40:32

OK about bonding and earthing, but where is the electrical leakage originating from, that needs eliminating. Testing with a simple continuity tester is not good enough, PAT testing we go a long way to proving the earthing is effective or now as it known as the CPC circuit protective conductor.

Thread: Lubrication
11/09/2019 19:48:50

Hydraulic fluid as used by farmers, earth moving equipment and fishing boats is OK.. Nutto H32 is recommended by Myford. There are equivalent s by other fuel companies. Ship chandlers sell it by the litre if you take a long a empty milk container for about £2. John

Thread: Bridgeport Help
08/09/2019 11:13:48

Hello Mike, send me a PM as I have an address of a man who may be able to help you. John

Thread: Loco at Marshalls Works 1906
08/09/2019 11:07:57

At a recent club meeting at PEEMS we had a very interesting talk by Bridget Laycock who is extremely knowledgeable on Marshal tractors in particular and the works in Gainsborough, in general. Bridget had lots of photos also, there is often references and pictures of Marshall traction engines in Old Glory magazine.

Thread: Power feed for mill table
07/09/2019 20:04:20

It would appear that your power supply isn't adequate for the job. Try direct running using a 12 volt car battery just to really establish that it's not the motor. John

Thread: Aldi type bench drill
31/08/2019 19:49:34

A few years ago I had a similar drilling machine, with a similar fault. The was a good article in ME 19th May 1989 page 621. I followed the instruction and what a difference it made to the machine, well worth doing. If you have any problem send me a PM with your email address

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
27/08/2019 13:29:42

Most modern motors run very hot when compared to older one when natural resin based insulation was used. Out of interest and I'm sure some one will correct the following if I've got it wrong. We used the following to assess the internal temperature of the winding of a motor after a run.. Example, measure the winding resistance before the test run, note ambient temperature as well. Run the motor say for an hour, then measure resistance again. If original Res was 20 ohms, and new 26. Divide the second Res by the first = 1.6, subtract 1 from 1.6 = .6, now divide .6 by .004, that is the temperature change, which should be added to the first temperature. I have one of those laser gun type of temperature measuring jobs, which I find very handy for about £6/7, from ebay. John

Thread: Bandsaw blades
22/08/2019 09:25:55

Yes Wadkin did make or just supply a band saw blade brazer, for their large band saws, we had one at work. If a centre needed to be cut out in a large piece of wood, the machinists cut the blade, poked the blade through the hole, which had already been bored in the wood, then brazed the blade up again and carried on working. I silver solder blades as outful doger does above. Not always successful, but one can use up odd parts of blades that way.

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
19/08/2019 17:01:33

We need wasps and other creepy crawlies to pollinate the crops. For far to long we have been poisoning these creatures, which we desperately need . Those farming lot over the pond now have to move bees hives around by the lorry load to pollinate the crops, simply because they have been busy with the chemical sprays for many years. If we are not careful it will be same here. A few people get stung every year and I'm one of them, not nice but you soon get over it.

Thread: strange power socket
16/08/2019 11:11:13

On "Vintage Radio" there members who collect socket outs and have a lot of info/dates about when and where they were first installed. Should any one need any info about AVO meters, Vintage Radio is the place to go, circuit diagram / help on repairs etc readily available. John

Thread: Home built trailer
06/08/2019 10:13:42

I have an old book called Your Complete Guide To Trailers and Towing published by Indespension who made the wheel units etc, a useful book if you can obtain a copy.Some years ago a friend of made his own flexible suspension rubber units, using some square section tube, four circular length of rubber (rod) and a shaped steel piece to fit inside, which he made himself. I think he had seen the Indespension units being made. However, he put the lengths of rubber in his freezer, then later pressed them in place, together with the steel piece.My friend made a few for his mates, they seems to work OK and never heard of a failure. Not at all sure about modern legislation reading trailer. Not many home made looking trailers at car boot sales or auto jumble sales. now days. john

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest