By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john fletcher 1

Here is a list of all the postings john fletcher 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electrical conducting paint
27/03/2020 18:01:05

I think I used my 100 watt soldering iron, maybe it was 80 or 90. I warmed up the connector first, then quick dab, job done.I also remember buying some expensive Silver conducting paint, from I think Radio spares now RS for fail rear widow heater and that worked. John

Thread: Neilson air line fittings
27/03/2020 17:50:59

I've looked on the net for Neilson air line fitting to match up with my existing ones, other makes won't seal properly. Can some one recommend a seller. John

Thread: VFD & Inverter questions
25/03/2020 10:57:32

I'm 100% with steve above, why not just help some one in need. I have three different makes of inverters, all pre owned as the car salesman says, and have received some helpful setting up advice here, I'm pleased to say. John

Thread: Motor Starters
25/03/2020 10:38:29

If you send a picture, I might be able to help. John

Thread: Solar panel surprise
12/03/2020 14:12:10

I bought a pre owned Solar Boost controller via ebay for £90 when it arrived the the clamp on current transformer. and sender wasn't present. That was no problem as I looked on the net and phoned up Solar Boost and they supplied one for I think around £10 it was several years ago. As I intended to use the immersion heater, I disconnected it, and use the wiring circuit for Solar Boost. Our immersion heater has TWO thermostats, as all modern ones should have (well one and a over temp resettable trip) The clamp type current transformer is fitted around one of the meter tails, it must be clamped in the right or correct direction. Most of the time we have enough hot water for showers and domestic duties, and plenty in the summer months.

Similar to Ray above, we have had during the last 12 months, several offers from "cowboys" suggesting how they can reconfigure the panel wiring and fit a new inverter as a way of guarding against future failures. We keep a check ourselves and will know if things are OK or otherwise. We was an early bird on Solar PV and the income has more than paid for the installation,long may it last. John

Thread: Super 7 lubrication
05/03/2020 17:46:50

I use an cheep diecast oil guns as supplied with some cars and mopeds years ago, which are frequently seen at car boot sales for pence. If the spout doesn't fit really tight, put a piece of clean thin rag across the oil nipple and pump the oil through it. This was sort of normal practice in the motor trade years ago. Also Nuto 32 is hydraulic fluid as used by farmers, earth moving equipment and boats. Around here we can take an empty milk carton and have it fill for a couple of pounds, worth looking around, or a group buying a gallon and share it out. John

Thread: Silvers soldering
22/02/2020 15:27:50

Lamp black from a candle will also work. When plumbers used lead pipe they used a substance in a Yellow tin called "Plumbers Black" to keep things tidy. They used an old paint brush, dipped it some water, gave it a shake, scrubbed around on top of the black cake and painted it around the pipe, forming a neat band, which prevented solder from going where it wasn't needed. Under ground cable jointers did the same. I have been searching for a supplier for "Plumber Black" for quite some time. It would seem plumber now use plastic pipe where ever possible. John

Thread: Noisy Lathe Gearbox
07/02/2020 10:15:44

20 or more years ago when in Canada visiting relatives, they had a large American car to pull their very large caravan and boat. During the journey to a lake, the noise from the rear axle got really loud, we stopped at a garage (not many in such a remote area) the man said I'll pop you in some Winns. Well that Winns simply transformer the vehicle noise wise. I wonder if such stuff is available here in UK and would it be OK for a lathe gear box. Just a thought. John

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
19/01/2020 14:47:24

After all the hassle you have had, wouldn't it be better and easier to get a 3 phase motor and inverter. I think you would get the pair for the price of the converter and have speed control. Several of my friends have bought Huanyang inverters for around £90, not one has ever complained about them being faulty and they got a motor from a club members on the cheap as well. The coolant pump was easy to alter so it runs from a 13 amp socket. John

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw
18/01/2020 15:45:44

Recently Brian Wood of lathe gear fame and who is often on here, described how to align the wheels using a length of wire or fishing cord. I have one and whilst they are very useful they can be trickie to sort, be very patient. John

Thread: 1P 240V Lafert Motor In Colchester Student Lathe - Wiring Help
18/01/2020 15:39:28

I'm glad to see you have the motor running after all the searching around. By your circuit diagram that relay is a current operated type as fitted to lots of fridges, has to be one that matches up with motor starting current, not any old one. You can easily wiring a reversing switch it be needed, but do also fit a proper motor starter with No-volt release and use it for starting after selecting DOR. John

Thread: Air line / compressor fittings
16/01/2020 09:46:04

Many thanks to all who replied. I've decided to discard the old hose and fitting and move on to modern ones PLC or Euro. John

15/01/2020 15:23:57

I need a connector for my air line to compressor and so far been unable to view one on the net before purchasing. My description, it needs to have a female 1/4 " BSP thread one end, the other has sort of captive half shell which, when screwed down traps the plastic pipe end flange. These were often fitted to cheap DIY compressors. John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
14/01/2020 17:58:37

Just been reading SillyOldDuffer and thought this maybe of interest.

Some years ago I used to pass by British Steel Appleby Frodingham plant near Scunthorpe and noticed a new works being built close by, that was before Mrs Thatcher was prime minister. On inquiring, I was told British Steel was building the latest computer controlled steel making plant. Later on certain Mr Macgregor (who later became Lord Macgregor) was instructed by the government of the day to get rid of the now, almost ready for testing, plant. My acquaintance told me China bought the lot, and that a party of Chinese armed with pots of paint itemised everything down to the last washer. I was also told that Chinese ship docked in Immingham and took everything away. How can we compete with worn out equipment, when others have the very latest at knock down prices? Perhaps readers from Scunthorpe might comment on the accuracy of the above.

Thread: VFD Question
14/01/2020 14:16:07

I nail my colours before the mast and agree with Old mart above.

Hello Gerard from the information you recently posted it would suggest your motor is a two speed one, with POLE changing switching to give the two speeds,and NOT Star/ Delta. John

Thread: Myford ML7 clutch
12/01/2020 15:14:51

Several years ago in Model Engineering Workshop there was an article on making a clutch for a Myford lathe. My friend an I each made a clutch for our lathes. Later I sold my ML 7 and bought a Super 7 with PCF and G/box. My friends clutch is still going. No motor likes to be switched ON. I have never heard of a Myford motor actually failing for that reason, they do get hot but soon cool down and are OK again, a lot of mythology around motors. It's those Dewhirst switches caused problems, OK for changing DOR when the motor is stationary and when used with a proper DOL starter. John

Thread: Bottled Gas Suppliers
12/01/2020 12:00:32

Adam gas is available up here in sunny Scarborough and in the York area as well. John

Thread: Electric motor ratings
10/01/2020 13:50:43

To Maurice Taylor I cannot to send you a PM. However, I'm unable to read off the lower numerals on your scope trace, was the duration of the surge current about 4.5 cycles of AC, then things settled down to normal running current.of 3.9 amps. Also, was you measuring the volts drop across a series resistor to obtain the trace.John

Thread: Myford Super 7 screw cutting gears (metric)
05/01/2020 16:31:25

Hello steviegtr, I've got Brian wood's excellent book and its all explained in the book, together with good clear photos. The shaft you are referring to has a pair of gears on it, which are keyed together. So you can change the outer gear, but you do have to lower the quadrant as the replacement is larger in diameter. In the book, it shows the shape and gives the dimension of the gear adapter which needs making. Brian also suggests making a little tool which makes adjusting the quadrant an easier task. Then you will need the tables of which there was a lot of discussion about in Model Engineer Workshop, when some errors were discovered, not pointing a finger anywhere,. Anyway, I think the book is worth buying. John Steviegtr

Thread: Dewhurst reversing switch
21/12/2019 18:17:12

Back again Mani. I see your motor is different to the one my friend has,it had just two capacitators and yours has three. All the marking I mentioned came from my friends motor and was attached to each wire.

Leaving all that to one side and looking at the latest picture from you, I think all you have do is move the copper links from the vertical positions to the horizontal positions. I notice both copper links have proper machined slots in them to facilitate easy repositioning. The electric supply still goes to 1u and 1v as before.John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest