By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john fletcher 1

Here is a list of all the postings john fletcher 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverter Prolem
21/09/2020 16:54:43

Back again sorry about the spelling. John

21/09/2020 16:53:06

An 88 year old friend has had a DECO inverter for more than 6 years and recently it will occasionally shuts down, the fault code oL2 says excessive load, but the lathe is hardly working. I would like to help out but I'm not familiar with these inverters. Would some one who is familiar with TECO inverters and have the time to help out, would they please send me PM with their phone number so that I could have a chat. John

PS. It's its not me I'm only 86.

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 17:48:09

I remember going from Warkly tram terminus to another one in Sheffield for HALF A PENNY.. Also being machine gunned by a German fighter plane whilst potato picking with my mother. Hearing the Lancaster bomber going to Germany from Coningsby and other aerodromes in Lincolnshire and seeing them on the way home, when walking to school with bits dangling down underneath them. Air sea rescue boats going to sea, seeing the army bomb disposal digging out bombs. The policeman attempting to keep us kids out of the way, I could go on.

Thread: Soldering stainless steel
16/09/2020 13:40:42

I would like to solder some small pieces of stainless steel together. i have some a liquid Fluxite, and some paste flux as used by plumbers, will either be OK, or will i need some thing more active. John

Thread: Replacing Broken Tumbler Gear on Myford
01/09/2020 17:50:37

David I've sent you a PM. John

Thread: Getting an ML7
28/08/2020 16:55:44

Peter that is an old motor, it immediately requires an Insulation test using a 500 volt Insulation tester often a Megger. your mate the MOTOR man should have one, or see your friendly electrician, he'll have one. Once you have proved that the insulation is good on all four wires to earth then you can sort out which wire is which. Have you got access to a multimeter of any kind ? If so, set the meter to low Ohms range and with one lead connected to any wire poke around with the second lead until you find a complete circuit and its record its resistance. Mark the pair some way. Do the same with the other pair, you have four wires showing.. The pair with the highest resistance value will be the START pair Z! & Z2 connect them to 6 & 2 on the Dewhurst switch. The other pair which is the lowest resistance connect to 5 & 7.Supply to 3 & 1. i notice you didn't mention a capacitor attached to the motor. I hope that will be of assistance. John

Thread: 6x4 bandsaw
25/08/2020 18:35:09

Back again, i remember there is an adjustment to the the pulley wheel at the no motor end using an Allen key. I helped a friend years ago when his kept flipping the blade off. I think the pulley has a thin shoulder to guide the blade, the adjustment slightly tilts the pulley and therefore blade..John

25/08/2020 12:10:00

Years ago i had a similar problem and was discussing it with a friend in the queue at Harrogate show, another person also in the queue, said change the blade, which i did, and all as been well ever since. i also recently made the simple vertical blade alignment tool as shown in recent MEW magazine. I Silver Solder/repair the blades utilising an alignment jig (a bit of angle iron) from an article in ME many years ago, a worthwhile tool. Once you get the idea of the Silver Soldering a blade, an old damaged one can be resurrected by using another damaged blade John

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
25/08/2020 11:39:38

Hello Richard, Phil and others, I have a Black cast Aluminium switch plate for a lathe like yours Richard ,FOC to any one who can collect . I see you are progressing well with the renovation job, Brian still has a cabinet full of bits and pieces to dispose of. Lathe and mill are enjoying life at new homes.

Thread: Myford ML7 questions
20/08/2020 10:03:09

Hello Will, a proper motor starter in my opinion is essential for your own personal safety as Brian above says. Regarding the Forward & Reverse Switch, a double pole double throw change over switch (NO centre OFF) is all you need, wired such that you have to select motor direction of rotation then press the GREEN button on the motor starter. Let the motor starter do the work. Should you move the toggle of the DPDT switch, the motor will continue to run in the same direction until you stop it via the RED stop button. But next time you press the GREEN button the motor will run in the alternative DOR, DON'T DO IT. The a 5 amp DPDT switch is adequate but get a 10 as I think it will be more easily work with and little difference in price. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a wiring diagram. Regarding cutting metric threads as you say leave the clasp nut engaged and reverse the motor. .John

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
18/08/2020 17:13:52

Similar story.

About 25 or more years ago a friend who had a Volvo estate car, and the rev counter failed. The dealer price was £75, another friend who worked for the local Lada dealer (remember Lada) said that is fitted in a Lada distributer. On checking it was, £28 in a Lada box, he showed me an old one. I recognised it in RS catalogue, as Hall effect device £2.80 from RS delivered in the post. My friend went back to the Volvo dealer with the rev counter now working and told them the story. The man said but you didn't a Volvo box and turned on his heals. John

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
18/08/2020 14:31:15

Years ago when Led first came on the hobby market you could buy a bag of unmarked/untested Led for a pound, same with zenners at Amateur Radio Rally's, sadly an event of the past. You coughed up and took a risk. John

Thread: BOC Mig welder
18/08/2020 14:25:03

I have a BOC Mig Master 130 Turbo welder, the small diameter plastic pipe adapter /connector which connects the plastic pipe to the larger rubber pipe and onto the regulator and gas bottle has come apart. Can any one name this small adapter/ fitting and tell where to obtain one from. John

Thread: Hot bearing?
15/08/2020 11:24:03

Years ago, when i worked for BR we had problem with bearing over heating and it turned be to be over greasing. The operatives were filling the bearing FULL no space for expansion and when things got warm and hot the seals leaked badly, then the bearings failed. An very expensive job to change bogie wheel bearings..

Fenner (Hull) make link belting, which is tricky to join up, you have to be persistent. I've got Fenner link belting fitted to my drill and mill .Also there used to be Brammer of Bradford ,not heard of them for a long time. the factory site is probably a housing /trading estate by now.

Thread: Getting an ML7
12/08/2020 11:49:46

In one of the early Model Engineering Workshop magazine s there was an article on making a clutch for an ML7. I made it and it worked good, I still have the article if you would like a copy. i think that is permissible, I'm sure some one will tell otherwise. John

Thread: VFD. XSY AT4 220v 1phase to 380v 3phase advice sort
11/08/2020 13:25:30

After all the discussion and theory to go with it, wouldn't be easier to dig out the motor Star point and bring out the 3 end to the terminal box , then buy a inverter with 3 Ph and 220 out. I remember some excellent picture on here together with an explanation of what to maybe a year or so ago. Its not so difficult to do, once you have the motor apart.. John

Thread: Vfd sizing
08/08/2020 16:48:22

Gentlemen, wasn't the question I have a 3 phase pillar drill that has a 0.37kw motor 220-240 50hz should I buy a slightly bigger vfd say 0.5kw. I haven't notice a straight forward answer, could it be on the way any time soon,

Thread: Spectacles and solder.
04/08/2020 09:39:59

If you have your prescription details, get another pair from one of the advertisers on the net. The owner of a company about 20 miles from us who made all type of spectacle frames, told me NON cost more than £1.50 and he went out of business when under cut be an Italian company. John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
03/08/2020 19:22:15

Done it many time for our own and the neighbours mowers. You just have to careful when bending up the tabs or else they break off. If the tab does break off all is not lost, you drill a small/thin hole across the brush box, shorten the brush a bit and fit a thin split pin over the spring as a retainer Regarding bedding in carbon brushes brushes, you are aiming at creating an arc similar to the shape of the motor armature commutator. So glass paper upside down if you like, back and forth until the correct shape is created.. NOT EMERY as it is a conductor. Save fifty or more pounds and helping to save the earth. John

PS. Same with some washing machine motors.

Thread: VFD. XSY AT4 220v 1phase to 380v 3phase advice sort
03/08/2020 09:53:08

I have been reading with interest the threads relating to the the XSY inverter. Would a reader please tell me the make of the XSY 2.2 Kw inverter, could it be a Huanyang ? John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest