By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for oldvelo

Here is a list of all the postings oldvelo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model aircraft pilots angry over drone laws
06/06/2019 21:43:48

Well Said Nigel

Sadly intelligent and responsible expert model fliers are being lumped in with cash rich morons that buy into a technology that is completely beyond them.

Putting drones in the hands of drones is now a reality

Thread: Bandsaw speed
01/05/2019 22:08:10

Hi Plasma

You will need to slow down the band speed with a counter shaft or gear box. May I suggest you use Poly Vee Belts 6 ribs will be more than adequate for the existing motor. Pulleys are easily fabricated and capable of quite large ratios.

Use an idler pulley on the back of the belt to give the small drive pulleys to give a better contact area.

More can be seen in my album Bandsaw 2.

Eric

Thread: seals for mini lathe tapered roller bearings?
02/04/2019 00:54:54

Cut them from a brass or plastic shim or any thin flat plastic

Thread: Fixed vertical metal bandsaw?
31/03/2019 20:33:37

Hi Choo Choo

Please take a look at my albums for Bandsaw 1 and Bandsaw 2. One is built from scratch. Two is a conversion from that sad little pile of bits. You will need to reduce the band speed to less than 70 metres a minute. depending on the metal to be cut. Poly Vee belts will give far superior performance over Vee Belts for speed reduction and slow speed running. J section Poly Vee pulley grooves 40 deg tool 2.34 mm pitch. Hope this is of use

Eric

Thread: New Zealand Terror Attack
16/03/2019 02:35:06

My thought are with the friends and families and their loved ones lost and wounded in this senseless violence.

We live in a "Rainbow Nation" here in New Zealand where the ability to teat all as equals and with respect.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident. The next few days-weeks we will be able to relax a little but be more aware of what is happening around us.

Eric

Thread: Cooling oil unit for saw or lathe
08/12/2018 18:22:26

Hi Larry

keep posting ideas and projects as I am sure that any posting that give an alternative view on things is often a way to help us modify and improve on our ideas.

Eric

Thread: headstock oil
05/12/2018 19:13:55

Hi

Here goes at my approach to a well trampled path on oils and uses. Any oil is better than no oil but no means ideal.

Headstock gearbox 68 Hydraulic Oil will be OK in almost lathes. Chain saw bar oil has all the tackifiers you will ever need to stick it on ways and sliders cheap and cheerful. The "Experts" tell me that it is water soluble yes but I do NOT use my lathe in the rain only my chainsaw.

Eric

Thread: Hemp Oil
22/11/2018 23:16:42

Hi all

Rather than hijack Rick Charity's post here goes my views.

My good Lady Wife suffers form chronic athritis in both hips and has finding great relief from pain and is more mobile after taking Hemp Oil.

This has extremely low amount of CBD's with no halucenogenic effects or withdrawal symptons.

We are constantly questioned by friends who do not know the differences between Hemp and Cannabis. They are not alone even Richard Nixon the president of the USA did not know the differences.

**LINK**

Hoping to inform and educate from this post and not offend. Sure the Interweb is loaded with loads of opinions true and totally biased on this subject

Thread: loctite fixing
16/10/2018 21:51:44

Hi

The earlier adverts for super glue showed lifting an elephant with two pieces of metal glued together believe it or not.

As yet I have not lifted an elephant but used it in many fixing jobs.

Eric

Thread: WARCO Reversing Problem
06/10/2018 21:20:56

Hi

Reading through this posting it appears that the control has most probably got a speed reduction built in to it look for a Pot on the board that reduces speed in reverse.

Normally a DC motor will run at the same speed in either direction OR as my own setup with a KB controller with separate controls for forwards and reverse.

Eric

Thread: Chilled Cast Iron
06/10/2018 20:44:51

Hi

To add to Neil's posting "I think some foundry's soak castings for up to two days when there's a requirement for easy machining". The long heat soaking process give us "Semi Steel" used for pipe fittings and valves etc. Also makes arc welding to steel possible.

A little aside on "Chilled Cast Iron" Apprentices at a foundry at Stockton on Tees had not heated the molds for plough shares after a late start due to a heavy night out boozing.

Farmers in the area found that the Chilled Cast Iron lasted much longer and wanted more.

The foundry owners questioned staff and found out about the apprentices escapades and used the process to advantage.

Eric

Thread: lead acid battery charging, will this work
01/09/2018 03:07:08

Hi Duncan

Not an uncommon problem with groups of people nominate some one else then you do not need to make an effort.

Clive Browns idea is sound

"Solar panels are fairly cheap these days. A reasonably sized one on the shed roof, possibly with a charge regulator, would recharge through the working week, ready for the week-end."

What do you use the batteries for and what size is the Amp Hour Rating.

Eric

Thread: minilathe speed reduction
26/08/2018 21:59:48

Hi

This one way to get more torque it is big bad and ugly. Functional not ornamental and works for me.

Spindle is on taper roller bearings

z-axis 13-lo-res-gw.jpg

Eric

25/08/2018 21:13:33

Hi Micheal

Perhaps new fabricated pulleys using "Poly Vee Belts" can be made to fit in place of the originals.

Now assuming that this head stock has a two speed gear box and belt drive then increasing the belt drive ratio then increases the load on the somewhat flimsy gears breakage is a lot more likely.

My hobby over the last few years has been renovating repairing workshop machines and re powering with mainly DC Motors.

A bigger motor or increase the drive ratio to increase torque at the spindle with a loss of top speed.

Eric

Thread: Mail order ban on bladed products
11/07/2018 22:31:35

Hi

Pocket Knives not normally a problem when traveling. A Lock Back blade is NOT allowed unless in baggage that goes into the hold.

Thread: Amelia Earhart
02/07/2018 18:45:32

Hi All

Here is a link to BBC about Amelia Earhart

**LINK**

Sixty years after the Amelia Earhart flight Linda Finch successfully completed the circumnavigation in 1997

in a restored Lockheed Electra with a Grumman Albatross as a support aircraft.

Eric

Thread: Governor pulley belt
12/06/2018 22:09:39

Hi Bob

The pictures tell the story The alignment needs to be addressed as Brian and George point out. The belt on the top of the crankshaft pulley needs to be parallel with the centre line of the engine and parallel to the horizontal center line of the engine.

Photos Two and Three in you Album explain the anomaly in the alignment.

Other than this problem this is a very well constructed engine.

This link may explain it better and is also useful for all sorts of power transmission devices

**LINK**

Eric

Edited By oldvelo on 12/06/2018 22:19:28

Thread: Mini lathe 3 phase AC conversion
02/06/2018 05:36:18

Hi Sorry for the intrusion this is my slant on Rainbows question

"I'm just gonna be unhelpful and butt in here with a semi relevant question, anyone have a wild shot at the upper bound for safe maximum motor power on the lathe?"

It Depends on the size of the lathe. Pure Guess on my part that you have a far eastern lathe with a Hi-Low ratio gears that are adequate for the motor the manufacturer fitted.

Be prepared for breakages of the gears with a bigger motor fitted.

X2 mill Drill has the same head stock here is a link to the conversion I did six years ago and has run without any problems just a few more alterations.

.**LINK**

Eric

02/06/2018 00:15:43

Hi

Many and varied replies to this thread read through with great interest as an owner of several re powered and modified machines.

Running any motor fitted with a cooling fan at way below it's rated speed will run hotter fit an auxiliary fan if this is a problem.

Blowlamp has an excellent suggestion for a re power for the average home workshop machines.

Eric

Thread: Electric Motors
01/06/2018 04:37:02

Hi Raph

You seem a little unsure of vee belt tension. You can do a rough check by pushing on a stationary belt with your thumb and be able to deflect the belt about 1 to 1.5 mm for every 100 mm shaft centres.

Eric

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest