By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel McBurney 1

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel McBurney 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: More security for the shed
12/07/2021 09:16:09

Local police advice was Lock valueable tools in a tool locker bolted to floor. If possible arrange power to shed so that it can be locked off or can be switched off from inside your home,thieves then have no light or use your power tools to cut locks. protect tools of good make thieves apparently do not go for poor cheap makes which are difficult to sell on. From friends experience watch out for builders & tradesmen working on adjacent property some are dishonest,delivery drivers, they are nosey and pass on info to thieves,keep your shed doors shut and contents out of sight. Heating oil is difficult to protect insurance is not much use,theft of oil is regarded as contents ,damage to tank is regarded as property ,so the excess you pay is doubled !!!

Thread: end milling does my Doreen needs a blast
09/07/2021 10:15:34

Whats wrong with soluble oil,its cheap,and works either applied by brush or a tank and pump. Compressed air will blow fine swarf particles into the slide ways ,and slideways will soon wear out,Modern industrial machines are designed to cope with various coolant problems , small hobby machines are not nor are older UK machines.Cnc machines use coolant systems to cool the work and to remove the large volume of swarf produced.Forget about using compressed air. Is the use of carbide tooling without a cooling lubricant a good idea,the work piece will heat up, expand so accurate measurements cannot be taken until the work cools,so keep it cool in the first place. When machining cast iron coolant is not required ,and clean the lathe/mill of cast swarf before switching to a material that needs coolant as soluble oil will cause the iron swarf to rust and difficult to remove and not do the machine any good.

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
08/07/2021 20:15:53

When I had a Royal Enfield trials bike,the supposedly quickly detachable lighting set was definitely not quick and in 1960 most trials riders also had to use their bikes to get too work,so I bought a BSA C11 G ,250 OHV rigid for a couple of weeks wages, excellent starter(coil ignition) good forks ,the rest was crap,lousy brakes which lock up the back wheel by only just touching the pedal,and a front one that had no stopping power .road holding was dangerous it got scrapped when the dynamo/battery / control box all failed,the forks and front wheel were fitted to a friends 197 Norman trials bike as early Normans had crap forks. So it was back to riding my push bike to work until I had a great misfortune by going off course in a trials section and into deep water over the engine,it was at Bordon Hants which is very sandy so the engine got filled uo with sandy water. A drain out and rebore and a quick trade in for a brand new 250 Greeves Scottish with q/d lights ,when I sold the Greeves 3 1/2 years later the Enfield was still in the dealers showroom, too many spectators saw me drown the bike and ride off in cloud of smoke,The Greeves on trials tyres had far better road holding,brakes etc than that awful BSA, It was bikes like that BSA that got motor cycling a dangerous reputation.

Thread: Tool post height
08/07/2021 19:44:01

At my first job ,there was a Boxford,with four way toolpost,all hss tools in those days, right pain in backside with endless shimming though it was rigid , when I bought my Myford I never considered a 4 way, I just copied a Drummond tool post,a single holder clamped on a round post,worked well,with no shims, when I had to earn a bit of cash in later years ,to be competative I bought a quick change toolholder with 6 holders,that noticeablely speeded up the lathe setting and operation,though it is not so rigid. When I aquired a taper turning attachment for tapered threads my hss thread chasers were too big for the q/c toolholders I went back and used the original Myford tool clamp, and when taper turning the top slide has to be set parallel to the cross slide, I chase threads by feeding at 90 degrees to the work , Usually when threading phosphor bronze the chasers can deflect down, With the single clamp and the cross slide in line with cross slide there is vast improvement when machining phos bronze fittings for bsp threads,I think that with top slide in this position there is no tendency to tilt the top slide across the V ways, the strain is taken over most of the length of the slideways. I do not have a taper turning attachment for my Colchester so the Myford has to take a bit extra load than normal.

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
07/07/2021 19:30:39

get a opy of "old bikemart " subscription only monthly £ 2,20 a copy look up www.oldbikemart.co.uk trade and private sales ,plus spares,services and news of current events auto jumbles etc plus a bit of reading. My choice of bike would be Ajs or Matchless prices for these are lower than Triumph ,BSA ,Velocette, Dealer prices tend to be higher than private sales, BSAs have got dearer in recent years. My advice is buy a complete a bike as possible,genuine tinware can be difficult to find,also it can cost a lot in time / money searching for bits at auto jumbles.Avoid boxes of bits there is always a vital unobtainable part missing, good luck.I really like the lightweights so my choice would be a Greeves roadster 250 ,twin

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
06/07/2021 09:32:06

The recent references I heard in the news was the ridiculous high wages that underground railway drivers got,highly unionised,threatof a strike paralyses London so unions have clout. An estimator that I dealt with at south London engineering company many years ago told me that when he worked in the 1930s a skilled turner would get about £2 a week and as he put it a tram driver with no skill got £3 aweek,times dont change.Mainline driving is no doubt different,lots info/books on lives of steam loco drivers/fireman and others.Good wages and extras for drivers but this could all be lost very quickly due to health problems or if some of the multitude of rules were broken,a driver could easily be demoted to a poorly paid shed job,No chance of driving for another Rail company.

Thread: Milling machine in the (wood floored) workshop
04/07/2021 09:39:39

Why not just thicken the whole floor,this would allow future repositioning of the machines. Suggest thicken the whole floor with four sheets of 18mm shutterring ply which is the cheapest ply and thenput down on top four sheets of a better quality 18mm ply to provide a better surface . Dont worry too much about the machines weight 350 kg is nothing in terms of machine tools and easily moved with a crowbar,at one time I had a S7 in an upstairs bedroom,16 inch pitch joist with 20mm t and g floor boards ,no problems with stability or accuracy.

Thread: Strimmer /BrushCutter any recommendations ?
03/07/2021 10:20:56

I use a Ariens wheeled strimmer/brush cutter with 6 hp 4 stroke engine,push it on big wheels like a lawn mower,as an ordinary strimmer sods my back, now even a machine like this will not cut thick brambles,brambles it destroys the thickest cords. a heavy commercial brush cutter with a harness which with a steel blade will cut up to 30mm stems needs a strong operator,we once borrowed a Husquavarna which really attacked rough scrub with a steel blade.Using a ride on mower on brambles will wreck it. Starting and carb problems with modern petrol is a nightmare,modern carbs have little or no adjustment due to the green emmisions lobby, Some chainsaw users fit carbs from old scrap chainsaws onto new machines as they run better and start easier. My last new Stihl chainsaw ,was a pig to start and now I have got to old to pull on the cord so gave it away and bought a Stihl battery chainsaw,expensive but is instant start and reliable and will cut a 7 inch oak log. A friend who repairs contractors and domestic garden machinery despairs at the way operators just beat their machines to death, latest comment from him was an upmarket mower with cast rollers came in with a smashed roller on asking him how on hell did that get broken ,reply from contractors operator " did not have a ramp so pushed it off the back of the truck"

Thread: Is buying a custom ground tool my only option??
01/07/2021 09:54:12

To form accurate circular grooves I have made an adaptor for the lathe tool post which holds milling cutters ,the type which were used on horizontal mill arbours with a one inch bore,these were available with full form internal and external forms ,good used ones can be found at s/h tool dealers or auto jumbles ,usually very cheap as there is little demand .

Thread: dirty clutch trick
01/07/2021 09:11:49

The 42 inch deck drive on my mower is a tight /slack belt clutch, the belt, which recently broke after 16 years. there was no real wear on the pulleys and thats with a 17 hp Kawazaki ,who would have thought that when I was a youngster that lawn mowers in the future would have 17 hp v twins. regarding the myford clutch my S7 clutch has been ok for near 50 years with the original drive belts.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/06/2021 14:00:07

Myself and a friend were in Petersfield Hampshire on this last wednesday, we heard a hell of a roar from a fairly low flying aircraft and along came a VC10, fuselage was painted but could not make out any detail as it almost directly overhead, a quick Google indicated that the last one had flown several years ago,but an airworthy VC10 was possibly up for sale last year.It was so nice to see and hear one of these aircraft again, We are not that far from Lasham airodrome so does anyone know if is based there,or going for maintenance as they used to maintain them there a long time ago.

Thread: Moving machines
21/06/2021 10:03:55

Always try to lift machine tools from the top with an engine crane,lifting from below ie with pallet truck or lifting table can be dangerous ,just too top heavy, use a strop for lifting,new ones are not expensive ,a lot cheaper than a damaged machine,rope can be used for smaller machines as long as its new and not old ,dirty and oily and you know how to tie knots.for horizontal movement I prefer steel rollers anything from 5/8 dia solid to inch bore water pipe,scaffold tube at 1 7/8 od is a bit too big ,if the load slips off this tube on one corner the load can tilt a bit too much for comfort ,if it slips off small rod it cannot drop too far,though the floor has too be smooth.Engine cranes can also be used to dismantle/assemble machine tools,that cannot be done with a pallet truck.

Thread: Dividing head - Beval gear ?
20/06/2021 10:23:50

Spiral milling is also useful for cutting spiral oil grooves in bearings and shafts when restoring vintage parts.The sets of gears for spiral milling were established in the late 1800s so the tables for the set up are in imperial units to suit mills with imperial leadscrews,on my mill with metric leadscrew I made and used 100 and 127 wheels in the gear train, making the 127 wheel was carried out using differential indexing,the part of this set that requires care is to determine if the index plate moves slower or faster than the worm spindle,

Thread: Identifying Senior Milling Machine
17/06/2021 12:46:27

Please remember that horizontal milling machines are regarded as very dangerous,and always have been .For very many years well before Health and safety became a pain in the backside, power presses , grinding machines and horizontal milling machines were subject to the factory acts,and even companies that turned a blind eye to safety always made sure horizontal mills had their guards in place. There was no safety concerns with vertical milling machines,when a Factory inspector came round to a factory he expected to see guards on drilling machine chucks but never made any comment on vertical mills.If a roller type milling cutter is working and an operator catches his fingers in the cutter it does not let go and will result in serious injury, If you do use it in a school environment I would suggest that the horizontal arbour and the cast arbour support are locked away and not used,just use the vertical attachment. Unlike nowadays when people see a risk if you sharpen a pencil with a knife,machines and processes listed on the Factory Acts were there because there were very many real accidents not risks. One of the very early mandatory guards in the early 1900s was that back gears had to be guarded to stop lots of operators loosing their fingers in the gears.

Thread: What lathe pointers
14/06/2021 19:59:16

Cannot beat a Colchester Master 2500 long bed, ( Imperial) reversing clutch to make metric threading easy,1 .630 inch spindle bore ,carriage handwheel to the right hand end ,to avoid hot swarf on your hands,full threading /screwcutting g/box, g/box includes DP worm cutting. Easy to use. d1-4 spindle, though I do miss the 2 inch spindle bore of the now departed Colchester Triumph. I dont worry about weight you can move anything on rollers and a crowbar.

Thread: Mancave insulation
11/06/2021 18:58:49

We have a proffesionally built timber stable block,weatherboard externally, over breathable membrane,one unit is only covered internally up to 4 ft high with plywood ,the remainder is not covered and the membrane is exposed,this membrane has fell apart and reallyuntidy, Our bungalow roof was old style felt and batten under the tiles,severe storm damage involved the whole roof covering and battens being replaced the new covering is black permeable membrane which is supposed to repel water, which it did not and the loft is noticeably colder. My workshop is 120 year old second hand timber tongue and groove externally over a layer of building quality polythene,the 2inch cavity is filled with fibre glass loft insulation.inside is a further layer of tongue and groove. Now every building guide states that membranes must be permeable,well on my workshop the pothene works well (14 ft sq) is warm ,dry,no rot or fungus on the timber,been there for 35 years and and still in good condition

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
06/06/2021 09:53:19

I think foreign aid should cease,I wonder how many new Mercedes cars have been bought with our money,Charity should begin at home,looking out for the homeless and other genuine needy people in this country,if we had a national disaster no one would help the UK.Government and other regional officials are only distributors of our tax money,its not their money so they do not know the value of money,or the over inflated prices for goods that they buy,and they never get the sack,just a sideways move for bad decisions,Look at HS2 ,many times over original estimates as per usual with civil engineering,prime ministers who make the decisions come and go,they will never feel the pain of financial loss,they get more grief for telling porkies in parliament than wasting possibly 200 million £ on a railway line,which may never be used ,I see HS2 like Concorde,only affordable to the rich.and next to useless.

Thread: Ward Capstan Lathes
30/05/2021 09:40:59

as part of my apprenticeship I spent a few months on a Ward 2a as a setter operator,making batches of parts from 20 to 2000, they were heavy ,well built and never gave much trouble,though a machine which had made vast batches on piecework no doubt took a hammering.when I worked at home there were times that I wished I had a capstan to knock off relatively small numbers of parts,where a lot of drilling and threading was required,Not all capstans were collets only,there are lots of photos in the tech books of the era showing two and three jaw chucks,thread cutting chasing attachments driven by leadscrew attachments,most of the info refers to Herbert capstan lathes,the threading attachment used a number of interchangeable short leadscrews , plus a drive shaft which had a selection of gear ratios.Would it be worth getting a Ward, unless it was free with a lot of equipent and space is no problem I doubt it.I once visited a chap who made lots of parts for the vintage restoration trade,he had at least 3 Ward Capstans,which he aquired very reasonably, he used each one for just one material, so that he could keep the swarf clean and get top price for the swarf. It may not occurr to the modern generation ,in the old days of very tight costing the value of the swarf or sheet material left after pressing was the profit from the job.

Thread: Carriage stop/dial gauge mount.
26/05/2021 19:10:11

dial gauges do not like soluble and other oils and the holder is usaually in direct llne with the chuck.Ok if only used wth dry cutting materials eg brass.A micrometer stop is better.

Thread: Boring head finish
22/05/2021 12:40:40

Been thinking why would you get an 8 thou tapered bore in cast iron over the short length of cylinder,the lathe would have to be horribly worn to turn that taper,the obvious is use of the topslide rather than the bed,though Nick states that he got a better finish when using the the power feed so one has to assume that the saddle is being used. For boring an iron casting I would use carbide for roughing and hss for finishing , I find carbide inserts tend to push the metal off rather than cut it, If using carbide for the whole job then use a new insert for the finish cuts,small iron castings can have hard spots which can chip carbide inserts on roughing cuts.so if the lathe bed is in good condition then something must be moving, ie the tool insert in the boring bar,the boring bar in the holder ,the tool holder moving ,the top slide not fully clamped, to stop rotation ,the cross slide moving away from the cut due to any vibration,Make sure the tool is on centre or a few thou above centre,boring tools below centre will cause problems ie rubbing & not cutting cleanly and not too obvious to the beginner. Good practice is to use power feeds though a good turner very often finds it quicker to feed by hand over short lengths, for the novice feeding by hand allows one to get a "feel" for how the tool is cutting,if it appears to be hard work feeding the tool then check the cutting edge and cutting rakes and clearances,also honing tools, L have seen novices hone the tool too hard and remove the cutting clearance. My first turning at work was on a Lorch plain lathe,that taught you how turn the slide handles smoothly at a constant feed and get a good finish,and keep the toolbits sharp.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest