By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel McBurney 1

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel McBurney 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7
29/05/2018 19:52:51

Athough I have owned a super seven for around 45 years nowadays I would go for a Boxford 5 inch centre height not 4 1/2 ins , they are cheaper currently than a myford though when I bought my super seven a Boxford just not affordable,though I would have preferred one as I had used a Boxford a lot during my apprenticeship and found they were very good lathes, a Myford is a very good lathe though limited by the ridiculous small bore of the headstock spindle,the Boxford has a larger spindle bore,another downside with a used Myford is a lot have been abused by ham fisted and really amateur operators. Both are good for model making ,if you intend motor cycle restoration or similar work the later Colchester Bantams are more suitable.

Thread: HMS Queen Elizabeth: Leak found on new aircraft carrier
22/12/2017 20:00:08

Perhaps we shouldn't have built such a large vessel,our history has lots of instance where biggest is not best,Great Brittain, Titanic,hms Hood, mary rose etc.We all know that the skills required to design build ,maintain such large ships has been lost in this country,we could not even build a foot bridge over the thames without wobbling. and when at sea how will the vessel survive without a protective fleet of smaller warships,the argies did ok with exocets strung onto their planes,it only takes a couple of torpedoes to put a carrier out of action,the US built two super carriers prewarLexington went down in the coral sea because they thought the Japs were inferior. And is the loss of skills and experience that has caused the seals to leak,poor quality assembly or something more serious like shaft misalignment due to flexibility in the hull or the hull moving when launched i.e. from suspended ashore to afloat in the water, ?

Thread: Acorn rake
25/09/2017 09:13:14

mowing acorns makes a mess,a Honda ride on with collection bags will not pick them up, on a good lawn an electric leaf blower ,used in the suck mode works quite well,if you own the tree a chainsaw cures the problem for ever,plus a free supply of firewood and a happy neighbour who was so pleased as it shaded so much of her property, another neighbours tree over hanging our paddock is a right pain especially if you have horses,as the grass is longer and difficult to rake up the acorns,mowing or sucking on long grass does not work.

Thread: Myford Oiling - Wanner 300-1
25/09/2017 08:54:09

My Myford oil gun finally gave up after 43 three years use,it was also used on my Elliot turret mill for 25 years so I have no complaints,acquired an ancient larger Tecalamit grease gun cleaned it out ,made an oil type nozzle which incorporates an O ring,works ok ,

Thread: What Material for 5C collet Rack
21/08/2017 20:59:50

Use some aluminium channel,the ali does not damage the collets and or contain any nasties which could corrode the collets, Bore the holes in the wide part of the channel,and sit it on the two shorter legs,have stored double angle collets for years without any damage or corrosion.

Thread: advice on choosing a milling machine
21/08/2017 20:53:02

I have downsized some of my workshop prior ot a house move,I had an Adcock and Shipley 2e Horizontal with vertical attachment and an Elliot Milmore turret mill with 50 inch table,both close to two tons, a neighbour gave me his Elliot Omnimill weight around 12cwt with and it came with a slotting attachment, both spindles are 3 m/taper.one big advantage of this machine is the vertical head on the the top mounted swivelling arm can be swung out of the way when using the horizontal spindle, so vertical to horizontal changes can be made quickly with no lifting of detachable heads,great when you are my age,the quill is substantial. unfortunately the whole vertical head is not capable of making reasonable cuts its just not rigid enough,overall the capacity,i.e. space under the spindle,travel of table,xyz is good for a smaller machine. I have vastly improved the rigitity of the head,by making a support out of 1 inch thick steel plate,the depth stop clamp is removed,the steel support has a hole in it to take the quill and split across the diameter of the bore to make a clamp. the plate bolts to the end of the round overarm which supports the horizontal arbour, so the head with the overarm can be slid along the y axis and clamped up, there is provision for an extra tie strap to connect clamp plate to overarm when the head is tilted. if the quill feed is required then the two bolts on the clamp are slackened .So I now have a very useful versatile uk built milling machine,I have since managed to buy at some cost the two way swivelling head ,which bolts to the vertical column and driven via the horizontal spindle. The only problem so far after a year of ownership is the bottom speed on both spindles is too high either for tough materials or large diameter saws, now scheming out ways to reduce the speeds cheaply by mechanical means not electronic.There is a photo of the clamp arrangement in my photo album.Regarding the small adcock and shipley 1ES a friend has one and uses it for restoration of a full size t/engines,the 1ES has substantial 40 int spindles and more room under the vertical spindle,only disadvantage is the vertical head is quite heavy,I had a tom senior many years ago,and did not keep it for long,Vertical spindle too light with 2MT spindle and very little space under the the spindle, a Harrison is far better,the Tom senior table and knee slides are rigid and operate freely, basically a good machine in horizontal mode ,but very poor in vertical mode, The expensive quill feed head,is nicely made but should have been made larger with an R8 or 3 mt spindle.

Thread: Phosphor bronze v oilite
30/07/2017 20:17:45

Drawn phosphor bronze can be evil stuff to machine,to stop drills binding grind the drill point slightly off centre,its a bit crude but it works, obviously drill the hole with a undersize 'off centre' drill,then finish with a ordinary drill or reamer.

Thread: Corrosive liquids. ...................................
17/07/2017 09:25:39

The government should outsource the prison service and give Russia,China and North Korea the opportunity to quote,and offer a bonus for any that did not come back,that might make the criminal element think

Thread: Geo Taylor &Sons milling machine table feed.
17/07/2017 08:31:29

Sorry cannot help but I have worked on one,the company where I served my apprenticeship had one of these Taylor mills,regularly used for instrument making so mainly light milling work,anyone who worked on this machine soon found out it was better to wind the handle and forget the power feed,not a very good arrangement.The other problem with the Taylor was their collets for holding the end mills,very difficult to do up tight,on tougher work the cutter would slip up or down in the collet,not a loved machine but the only alternative was a vertical mill with 4 ft table, thats how it was in the 1950s ,just get on with it.On a small machine power feed is not essential,and one got used to winding handles and using fixed stops,many of the jobs lasted a couple of days.

Thread: Drill bit sets
23/05/2017 18:59:58

Bought a set of Presto drills 6 to 10 mm in .1 steps a couple of years ago,they have proved to be ok,they only get occasional use,for rougher work I have an old set of mixed drills mainly dormer 40 years old 1mm to 13 in .5 steps,Before I bought the Presto drills I bought a 1 to 6 mm set in .1 steps on special price offer from Tracy tools several years ago,they were dead sharp and drill accurate holes,some time later i bought the larger set from them 6 to 10 .1 steps again at low price at ME exhibition, the steel was ok it was just the sharpening ,varying angles and points off centre,could not be bothered to send them back,too much hassle, they get used for brass with backed off rake and correctly sharpened,they heard all about it at the next exhibition . The problem with judging quality is the limited use they get in model engineers hands , The real test comes when they work all day every day just with regular sharpening, the last time i was involved in real engineering some thirty years ago,Titex and Guhring drills were used on the cmc machines , since then I worked by myself but mainly on one offs so have not had problems with drills that were new or some that are 50 years old. I think some of the problems nowadays are due to misuse,particularly wrong speeds and cutting fluid. Also never use good drill bits in hand held portable drills,keep some old ones for this use.

Thread: Stuart Victoria cylinder
10/05/2017 09:00:44

Agree thicker clamp required,possibly wider so that it grips on the drain cock bosses,this area of the casting is stiffer and not so likely to distort the casting ,if the casting distorts under too much pressure then the machined cylinder bore may end up oval,after roughing the bore check that the casting has not moved due to the intermittent cutting of the boring tool on the rough cast surface.

Thread: Pre-load of taper-rollers
01/05/2017 19:43:59

pre load must vary with the application,surely when the car is in use the alaluminium axle housing will warm up and expand and I would assume expansion would increase preload,so it may be advisable not to have too much or if any preload when cold, The MOT examiner picked up slack front wheel taper bearings on a Morris Ital I then showed him the handbook and when cold they were really slack,i thought this deliberate slackness was probably to allow for hub expansion with heat from the disc brakes, Is there a lea francis owners club ,they may have the info,If i did not have the preload information ,I would set up with minimum or no preload ,rather than too tight and further tightening due to expansion could wreck the bearings.And its no good looking at other cars as the vast majority had ferrous housings with less expansion.

Thread: How do I cut 6" dia bar?
09/04/2017 19:00:48

A bog standard Manchester Rapidor power hacksaw will cut 6 inch dia easily,use a coarse blade, suggest find someone in your area with such a saw,offer them a good drink and a contribution towards the blade cost,best to use soluble oil coolant.I have had one for 25 years and it has cut loads of material, blades are getting expensive,I usually buy mine at auto jumbles, The saw takes a standard 14 inch blade,I often buy 17 inch blades as they are cheaper as nobody wants them, cut them to length and drill a new hole with one of those tipped drills that will go through hardened material.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
03/04/2017 13:43:13

Like Martin Perman I am sorting out items to take to the Cotswold oil engine clubs sale, for anyone in the area its not only vintage itms for sale ,usually lots of tools and materials,last time I came away with some large 26 tpi taps and dies less than a pound each,but get there early.look up details on the cotswold clubs web site.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
02/04/2017 09:49:47

The angled split bearing theory was probably the idea of some early inventor rather than engineer as later on in the 20th century that it became common practice for horizontally split bearings, the production engineers won,its a lot cheaper and easier to plane or mill and bore the split ,parallel to the base plus drill and tap the bearing cap holes vertically ,also it is easier to assemble .From my experience it is far easier to fit the crank with flywheel attached as it drops into the bottom bearing without the tendency to roll out the bearing,and also easier to align the skew gears on an oil engine.

Thread: What to buy next??
29/03/2017 19:38:07

Bench grinder first,suggest 6 inch wheels,apart from hss tools ,there is a need to sharpen drills,and useful for sharpening other tools ,I made my first grinder 50 years ago before the days of cheap foreign tools. then tailstock drill chuck and a centre drill,then 4 jaw chuck. Then probably 2off 2 morse taper centres for turning work between centres. Then some means of accurate measurement ,digital calliper and a dial test indicator, then you can get on and do some reasonable turning,

Thread: ER40 Collet run out.
28/03/2017 22:41:03

I think the mounting face of the collet chuck is not square to the axis of the collet. As you have a test bar,which I assume has a morse taper and a long parallel portion, fit the test bar into the lathe spindle taper,then part the chuck from its backplate fit a collet to the chuck that will grip on the test bar,no need to pull the collet up dead tight. set a dial indicator to measure runout of the back FACE of the chuck,if it runs true it will at least prove that the axis of the collet is true to the mounting face, I have assumed that you have examined the taper in the chuck where the collet fits and there are no burrs or damage to the taper or the collet,does the runout fault occur with all the collets?,the collet that you first used may be faulty,Should the mounting face prove to be at fault,either return the chuck or mount a piece of steel bar preferably greater than the size of the largest collet available,turn the bar to suit the collet,also the bar will be running true,mount the chuck on the bar via the collet a lightly skim the back face, this action may solve the problem but also invalidate the guarantee.

Thread: colchester student clutch
27/03/2017 09:36:13

Hi an easy way to check if a student/master has a clutch fitted is to look at the rear of the headstock,there is a plate with instructions on how to adjust the clutches,there are two one forward,the other reverse. I agree there is not much room to fit an external clutch,could try a cone clutch on the motor shaft there is some room or the cover plate could be removed for more space,or try the the method of engaging the cutter deck on ride on mowers,i.e. a slack v belt from motor to the headstock pulley with an over centre jockey pulley,to tighten the belt. simple & reliable and an old cutter deck could be sourced from a mower agent. For safety when the belt is loose and there is the possibility it could just about drive the spindle ,a simple wedge brake block could engage one v pulley to stop spindle rotation and connected to the clutch linkage, go and have look at a cutter deck just to get some more ideas.

Thread: Machinery removals
20/03/2017 20:56:54

If looking for a haulier,have a look at their transport, virtually all machine movers and installers have the Hiab or similar crane mounted at the rear of the lorry,this allows them to swing the load right round towards the back of the lorry and then the crane can be fully extended to allow the jib and load to go right into the building,this helps prevent the crane toppling which can happen if the load is close to the capacity of the crane and just swung over to the side of the lorry.

Thread: Nut & Bolt Sizes.
17/03/2017 11:08:45

I was asked to make a fuel jet for a old David Brown tractor carburettor ,probably a petrol paraffin tractor.knowing that some carbs had French origins,I careful checked the old jet,and the carb body as to was die cast and any error on my part may damage the thread in the old and frail die casting,it was as I suspected French metric not ISO the difference is .05 of a mm in pitch on a m4 thread,not much but enough to wreck the die cast thread.the customer was more than happy with jet and a couple spares,he had to bear the cost of a new tap and die but did not care and told me to keep them. I had learnt about 50 years ago that metric pitches can vary, from an engineer i worked under at the time so I went and bought a machinery's screw thread handbook which has proved to be so useful.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition