By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Garnett

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Garnett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Murad bormilathe on ebay
10/09/2015 16:59:35

Hi - long time no speak. Been busy with a load of other stuff. Still am, in fact.

But since I've had a Bormilathe for several years now, I can tell you a bit more about how it behaves - and with a few caveats, it's not as bad as you might think. Yes, I have it for reasons alluded to above - you can put flywheels on it, which I can't on the Kerry. Well not very big ones, anyway.

As far as rigidity goes, it's not bad - as long as you take a few precautions, primarily remembering to lock the vertical slide holding the headstock in place after you've moved it. If I put a dial guage (mounted on the milling table) on the inside of the spindle, I have to put one heck of a lot of force into the headstock before there's even a hint of movement on the dial - and this is a 0.0001" guage. Likewise, there's no perceptible run-out in the spindle either when you rotate it. The last job I used it for was as a horizontal mill, to cut a vee in a chunk of mild steel to use as a new base for a fixed steady for the Kerry. It didn't bat an eyelid. But there again, I've also reworked the cross-slide somewhat, which has also helped. So I'd say that yes, you can do serious work with it - as long as you have your eyes open.

And that's the thing really - not miraculous out of the box, but with some work it can be improved. It has some annoying features - like no means of controlling the motor. You plug it in, it runs. The backgear control leaves a little to be desired as well - not exactly positive in its operation. Drive to the leadscrew is 'fun' to set up, and non-reversible. Without a lot of work, it's not really going to be anybody's main lathe for long - that is, unless they've never met another lathe...

The temptation to spruce it up and put it on eBay is quite strong, if it fetches anything like £1,600. That is so much more than I paid for it!

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
15/10/2012 09:40:56
Posted by NJH on 14/10/2012 23:25:30:

Guys

Maybe you would be better to continue this discussion via PMs ?

I think it would be sensibly terminated at this point.

14/10/2012 23:13:45
Posted by Terryd on 14/10/2012 22:27:38:
No.

They are either funny or not depending on your culture, Yours was not funny. But in your culture it may have been.

Well in that case, it would be yes - because that's exactly what I said - in the eye of the beholder. Please try reading and understanding what I wrote - or does the subtlety of that evade you too? And anyway, what you wrote is a clearly a non sequitur...

What I should have said about Crap re Crapper is that it's reasonably clear that the term in common usage possibly owes as much to American servicemen as it does to any ancient usage.

And I don't think it's my mind that needs expanding, thank you.

Regards, Steve

14/10/2012 21:18:44
Posted by Graham Meek on 14/10/2012 20:37:59:

I think you will find Thomas Crapper made improvements to the flushing toilet that was invented by John Harrington 1596 nearly 300 years before if my memory serves me correct. A bit like James watt improving the steam engine really.

Quite - hence my reference to modifications...

14/10/2012 18:30:27
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 14/10/2012 18:01:57:

Well I'm laughing at you lot bickering amongst yoursleves

I'm glad it's not wasted on you, Neil!

14/10/2012 18:28:37
Posted by Graham Meek on 14/10/2012 17:56:19:

Well Steve,

I do not consider calling someones point of view "Crap" it is not a word I would use, but then I would be the first to admit my standards belong more in the Victorian era, some would say that's where I belong too.

Well yes - if you don't consider it to be in the slightest bit funny, then yes I suppose you might just conceivably take offense. BTW, I think that the word originates from a contraction of the Victorian surname of one of the suppliers of some flushing modifications to one of the greatest non-mechanical inventions ever...

Edited By Steve Garnett on 14/10/2012 18:29:06

14/10/2012 17:44:58
Posted by Terryd on 14/10/2012 17:13:51:

Hi Steve,

Not subtle, just not funny wink 2.

I think you'll find that jokes are a bit like beauty - it rather depends upon the eye of the beholder... wink

14/10/2012 16:59:55

Okay, it's too subtle...? I'll have to find a 'joke' light from somewhere then!

14/10/2012 16:39:09
Posted by Graham Meek on 14/10/2012 10:30:27:
Posted by Steve Garnett on 13/10/2012 21:27:14:

Typewriter. Okay, it ultimately gave way to the keyboard, on which you lot are typing all this crap instead of doing something useful...!

Well Steve,

No one twisted your arm to participate, I have always considered the average Model Engineer to have a great depth of interest, I so far have not been proved wrong.

If you want to talk about something else, then please by all means start another thread, if it encompasses my knowledge base I will participate, but please do not riddicule others for their point of view.

Gray,

Oh for heaven's sake it's a JOKE!

Don't you lot get jokes?

Mind you, that said, then if none of you do, then I have learned something from this thread... sad

Edited By Steve Garnett on 14/10/2012 16:41:21

Thread: Non de plumes
13/10/2012 21:34:01

I think that the correct term is 'given' name - and I'm just as bad, according to my mother, who never calls me Steve, although the rest of the world does. I just prefer the diminutive form. And as for my middle name... we're not going there!

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
13/10/2012 21:27:14

Typewriter. Okay, it ultimately gave way to the keyboard, on which you lot are typing all this crap instead of doing something useful...!

Thread: Vulcan bomber XH558 to be grounded
13/10/2012 19:17:33
Posted by fizzy on 13/10/2012 17:17:26:

My old art teacher flew a Vulcan in the war, was shot down and ended up in a POW camp. The day he retired from teaching the whole school went outside to see a vulcan fly over. this was mid 80's. RIP mr. Wulley

I don't think you'll find it was a Vulcan he flew! They've only been involved in any combat situation once, that was in the Falklands, and none of them were shot down. Vulcans weren't introduced into active service until 1956, by which time WWII was well and truly over (apart from clearing up the mess, that is).

Have now just seen KWIL's post, but hey never mind!

Edited By Steve Garnett on 13/10/2012 19:19:16

13/10/2012 17:13:36

There's also a Vulcan at Newark Air Museum...

Thread: If you had 2 hours in the Science Museum
07/10/2012 23:33:51
Posted by JA on 07/10/2012 20:12:42:

What is worth visiting is the Science Museum store at Wroughton, near Swindon, but it is closed at present. Twenty five years or so ago they used to have open days but now they don't seem to welcome visitors at all which is a pity since some items, such as large aircraft, cannot be moved elsewhere without great difficulty.

It's been open more recently than 25 years ago! They had an open day that was widely reported in 2001, but also they had another one more recently when they were trying to attract Lottery funding to make the place publically accessible on a more regular basis; ie a proper museum. It was one of these 'public vote' things, and they were trying to get as much support as possible.

And they didn't win any funding at all. No surprise there...

Thread: Precision Drill
06/10/2012 00:03:14

Reading the question attached to the ebay item, and looking at Michael's pictures seems to indicate that this is the tapping version of this machine (complete with one stuck in the chuck, apparently), and in that case, the belt switcher makes a bit more sense.

Although all things considered, I'm going to stick with my Tapmatic...

05/10/2012 14:20:23

Thank you for the replies, gents.

Having looked more closely, yes I can now see that it's one belt, and that this provides a convenient reversing mechanism. I'm still not convinced about why you'd want to do this though - the tapping argument doesn't sound very convincing at all, considering the speed this thing will run at. And since it has a 3 phase motor fitted as standard, wouldn't it have been a lot easier to provide reverse running with a simple switchover of two of the windings?

05/10/2012 09:48:29
Posted by Ady1 on 05/10/2012 00:55:07:

aha!

I hoped my dum question might yield some knowledge

Well if it worked for you, I wonder if it will work for me?

Why does the Aceira have two drive belts, one apparently counter-rotating?

Thread: Anybody already tried to download Solidedge ?
24/09/2012 18:00:37

I just tried to update my version of Solidedge, and it would appear that the servers are down. And since it now won't run at all without a minimum of a licence update, that's a bit of a pain.

Thread: Air cooling
24/09/2012 10:25:44

Posted by Terryd on 23/09/2012 13:01:02:

I don't think that I would use an oil mist system on an unshrouded machine. My lungs are much too valuable to risk.

I must admit that I have wondered about that myself. Doesn't appear to have killed off Bogstandard yet though...

Thread: where will the next generation of engineers come from
24/09/2012 10:23:02

What neither I, nor SWMBO (ex-teacher) understands is why so many people trust doctors so much? There don't appear to be grounds for this level of 'trust' at all.

Where will the next generation of what we currently refer to as Engineers come from? Same places that they always have, assuming that there's any demand for them here in the UK, which is looking increasingly less likely. What's more intriguing is what all the frustrated would-be engineers are going to do instead... although it does make the future of MEW look a little brighter, doesn't it?

Unfotunately there doesn't appear to be much call for engineering in UK tourism and Museums plc - the country's only growth sector.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest