By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Crossfield

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Crossfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Engraving Nameplates
31/10/2020 18:09:12

Andy

Pantograph Services are the go-to company for everything engraving related. Wide range of equipment and materials, including the laminates you are interested in.

Best regards

Mike

Thread: Graham Meek’s Super 7 Tailstock Dial
29/10/2020 10:45:21

Just to draw a line under this, Gray has very kindly checked the MEW drawings against his originals and confirmed that, apart from the two errors noted in MEW 280, they are correct.

Mike

28/10/2020 14:21:55

Hello Gray,

I have sent some drawings to your gmail address.

Best regards

Mike

28/10/2020 13:49:43

Hello Gray,

The gears I cut ran very smoothly together, but had what seemed to me to be excessive clearance when set up at the specified spacing. Turning one over made no difference. I set them up in my clock depthing tool so that I could play around with the gear spacing and I found that the teeth bottomed out before the play reduced to zero.

Photo 6 in the magazine shows your test rig and your prototypes. I noticed that the hardware was laid out on the gear drawings, and in the top right hand corner of the photo I could see the dimensions for the idler gear cutter. This shows an offset of 0.62 rather than the 0.55 detailed in magazine Fig. 5. I haven’t yet made a new cutter using the 0.62 dimension, but I think it will reduce the clearance I am seeing.

I would be happy to scan the Figures from the magazine showing the cutter dimensions so that you can check them against your originals, but I don’t know if this will upset the magazine publishers? Perhaps somebody could advise?

Best regards

Mike

27/10/2020 18:42:30

Hello Martin

The thread you linked to is the one I started when I pointed out two obvious drawing errors, and I am very familiar with it. However no other errors apart from those I pointed out were mentioned. I now think there is at least one more, which is why I am now querying the MEW drawings again with Gray.

Regards

Mike

27/10/2020 17:50:48

Hello again Gray,

I have cut the input gear and the idler gear (imperial) using cutters made according to the dimensions in Figure 5 in MEW 279, allowing for the drawing error noted in MEW 280. However the meshing, although close, doesn’t seem to be quite right. I made the cutters very carefully using the DRO on my mill. I don’t think I made any significant error, and I suspect there may be another drawing error in Figure 5. I think I can see in photo 6 In MEW 280 another cutter dimension (0.55 versus 0.62) in your original drawing which is different from that in Figure 5. If you wouldn’t mind I’d be very grateful if you could check that all the Figure 5 cutter dimensions are as you intended.

In view of these problems with the Figure 5 cutter dimensions, it would be reassuring if you also check that cutter data in Figure 6 is as you intended. I’m sorry to bother you with this, but I don’t know how to calculate the cutter dimensions for myself.

Many thanks

Mike

26/10/2020 17:38:01

Hello Gray,

Thanks very much for the prompt and very helpful reply.

Just what I need.

Best regards

Keep safe

Mike

26/10/2020 07:41:03

Having recently completed my last major project I have started building Graham Meek’s Super 7 tailstock dial (MEW 279/280). At the moment I am puzzling over the best machining sequence for the main body of the device (the Backplate). There are some critical dimensions and concentricities, and few clues in the articles as to how best to achieve them. I would be very pleased to hear from Gray or and/or anyone who has successfully constructed this useful accessory.

Thanks

Mike

Edited By Mike Crossfield on 26/10/2020 07:43:51

Edited By Mike Crossfield on 26/10/2020 07:45:34

Thread: Myford ML10 - Disengaging the Autofeed
12/10/2020 09:30:43

Hi Jack,

I remember my recently deceased friend having a similar problem with his ML10 some years ago. Unlike other Myford lathes, the ML10 saddle handwheel does not engage with a separate rack to move the carriage. Instead It is permanently engaged with the leadscrew. Incidentally, not a great arrangement because the gearing is too high to allow fine manual feed. In an ideal world when the leadscrew rotates the handwheel should rotate but the saddle should remain stationary. This Is a delicate balance which relies on the carriage friction being greater than that in the handwheel mechanism. If the carriage is very free to move (gibs set loosely?) and/or the handwheel is stiff, the carriage will move. My friend made some adjustments which from memory largely solved the problem. However to be completely safe he also fitted the optional leadscrew clutch. This also provided the big benefit of being able to use the optional leadscrew handwheel to move the carriage without having to disconnect the change gears.

Regards

Mike

Thread: Making a pinion with a fly cutter
19/09/2020 17:17:51

I make all the pinions and wheels in my clocks using shop-made cutters made from hardened/tempered silver steel. I usually cut pinions from silver steel, but sometimes I use EN8. Cutting pinions this way is a slow job. I typically run the mill at around 200rpm, and take 2 or 3 passes with plenty of cutting oil. Picture of one of my cutters and examples of wheels and pinions below.

Mike

89927d99-3b6c-409d-bf0f-d0832df033c1.jpeg

bbb1b0f6-3b2e-4494-916b-fdccdbb6dedd.jpeg

Thread: Claude Reeves 4 Legged Gravity Escapement Regulator
15/09/2020 12:14:46
Since a few people have asked for more photos here are 3 more. There are some others in my album. I have also made a short video of the escapement. If I’ve done it correctly the link is
https://youtu.be/XmobT80rNh4

Mike

7d2c77c0-c053-4dc3-9cf9-6c6237d8b8a2.jpeg
2e1629b8-b40d-4413-876f-db94c1db7e88.jpeg
28ae47d6-9e71-44db-b08f-13448377ea2a.jpeg

Edited By JasonB on 15/09/2020 13:14:12

14/09/2020 22:34:40

Thank you Martin.

There is a substantial metal backplate fitted to the case, and the pendulum and the movement are separately attached to this. I’ll post some more photos which should make this clear. The case is anchored to the wall behind it.

Mike

14/09/2020 21:08:57

I’ll see what I can do about some more photos, but whether I can work out how to add a video remains to be see.

The excellent mlhorology forum is (was) in yahoo groups. It still exists for dialogue between members, but since the end of last year it has few resources in terms of archives etc.

Mike

14/09/2020 18:59:25

Just completed my version of the Claude Reeves gravity escapement regulator. My main spare time project for the last 3 years, ( plus 6 months for the oak case).

The build was based on John Wilding’s book. However I used miniature ball races throughout, which reduced friction to the extent that the clock will run on 10lb driving weight compared to 14 lb for Wilding’s version. I also used carbon fibre for the pendulum rod.

I have to thank several people on this and the mlhorology forum for their help and advice. In particular Peter Bell, who sold me his spare set of water-jet cut plates, and gave much advice, Rex Swensen for guidance on the use of miniature bearings and other topics, and Joel Shugar and David Gee, both of whom had successfully built this interesting clock and freely gave their advice.

A couple of pictures are attached.

85a8aa50-7e7c-4539-9720-33eeaea8a81a.jpeg

6e692dcc-8fae-4963-84cd-897704e9c1ad.jpeg

Edited By JasonB on 14/09/2020 19:01:38

Thread: Rotating Photos
14/09/2020 18:33:29

Thanks Jason

Mike

14/09/2020 18:00:53

What puzzles me is that rotating the photos 90 degrees before uploading them didn’t make any difference. They still came out sideways.

Mike

14/09/2020 17:24:12

Photos now uploaded. And in need of rotation.

Thanks

Mike

14/09/2020 17:19:49

Ok Jason, I’ll try again. I deleted the two photos which were rotated. The first one, which is in my album, was fine.

Mike

14/09/2020 16:49:24

I want to upload some photos from my iPad to my album, but they are coming up rotated by 90 degrees. I have tried rotating the originals by 90 degrees before uploading, but they still come out rotated!

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Mike

Thread: Swarf damage
03/09/2020 18:55:52

Picture shows the swarf trays on my Super 7. The front one is held on with a screw into the hole normally used for the travelling steady. I think the hole is there on the ML10 as well.

Mike

3b987f41-08f4-4933-b5a2-861704442ba8.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest