By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Exhibition Floor Plans
05/12/2011 17:38:59
P.S. Full of ME's
05/12/2011 17:37:21
Hi Folks
I think i have mentioned this before, ( but maybe not on this site ) there is a new one coming up in Manchester in March next year.

The venue is right next to the Trafford center, so you can race your wife to see who can empty your bank account first.

Details at www.eventcity.co.uk I have no connection whatsoever with the exhibition, just happy that someone has noticed that the country has a north west region.

Cheers Derek
Thread: You never know what's out there!
01/12/2011 19:50:36
Nice one John ! My dad used to say " if you find a bargain, think twice before you buy, because you will no doubt find a better one very soon after ". Over the years, i have bought many " bargains" only to have dad proved right soon after.

Cheers Derek
Thread: Cleaning ER collets
26/11/2011 10:22:57
Chronos do a large set of round brushes. Various sizes in soft bristle, brass wire, and steel wire. The set also has a handle and an extension to reach down boiler tubes. I bought a set at the Harrogate show last May, and have found them very usefull.

Derek
Thread: Back at last !
25/11/2011 08:29:46
Hi Alan The post.

Cheers Derek
24/11/2011 20:19:10
Whoo Hoo cheers Dave it works. ( well it does if this appears).

Derek
Thread: Salvage from defunct inkjet printer
24/11/2011 17:59:07
I am not quite that bad. I only collect small bits and pieces. I was very dissapointed when the last lot came from the "total stations " company, as it had all been stripped down, and only the ally casings arrived. Good thing realy, as i have too many other jobs to do at the moment.
Nostalgia bit, yes i to used to buy lots of ex WD stuff in the early 50's, and had to cart it home from the shop 4 miles away in an old hand cart. Happy days !!!!

Cheers Derek
Thread: Back at last !
24/11/2011 17:35:45
Hi Folks
About 12 months ago, my computer went caput, and i had to get my son to install a new motherboard. Having done this he installed Windows 7. This is when my problems started. I found that i could not post on this site. I would type in a post, click on "add post" and it would just vanish !
I sent an email to Diane to ask what i was doing wrong, and the answer was that the site could not deal with a 64 bit system ( Whatever that is ?). Anyway i have just found out about Firefox and i can now post on here again. So if anyone else out there is as dozy as me, and cannot post using Windows7, you now know why

Cheers Derek
Thread: Salvage from defunct inkjet printer
24/11/2011 17:13:33
Hi Folks.
Clive, i have 3 sheds and an attic full. Those "total station" things you mention, in recent years, a local hire company has once a year sold lots of them to my friends scrap yard. They were all in various stages of disassembly but each had different bits missing. When anything interesting comes in he saves it for me to pull to bits, then he gets what he calls clean metal ( I.E. ally with no screws dowels or other bits attached ) and i get whatever bits i want for nowt. Over the years i have pulled to bits everthing from electron microscopes, to missile guidance units. and ex. RAF master giros. I still have quite a few lasers, removed from the " total stations" and more bits from all the other stuff than i can now remember.
Thread: Potty Over Crank Engine
24/06/2011 11:38:50
Hi folks
Stewart and Bogs came round to my place yesterday, and Stew brought his engine to show me. What can I say ? Excellent job, I will even buy ME when the article appears.
Cheers Derek
Thread: Compressor refurb.
14/06/2011 22:13:12
Hi Anthony PTFE tape
Cheers Derek
Thread: Things you do for 5 17s and 9d
11/06/2011 17:05:10
Talking of old money, when i first started work ( apprentice coachbuilder ) on 1st Jan 1956 my WEEKLY wage was £1 9s 11d. Ah! the good old days eh!
P.S. And that was at Rolls-Royce,who were considered a good payer.
Thread: Quorn Kit
11/06/2011 12:04:04
I like the link posted by Steve G. My definition of a Myford nut, is someone who thinks that no other lathes exist. So how the heck do'es he get them to keep still while he wraps them for posting?
Thread: which mill and lathe ... advice please if poss
25/05/2011 09:28:32
Hi Keith
Both Warco and Chester UK are very helpfull and give good backup service.
I chose Chester for various reasons, not the least of which was because they are much
closer. I would say go for the biggest you can afford, but remember tooling will cost
a fair few quid on top of the cost of machines.
Last september i bought a DB10VS lathe and a Champion 20V mill, with stands, for a bit less than two grand, but that was before that nice Mr Osbourn put VAT up.
Both needed a minimum amount of set up, but the mill stand is not realy up to the job.
Hope this is some help, and if you live anywhere near south Cheshire you are welcome to pop round and check them out before you make any decisions, just send me a PM to let me know if you do want to call.
Cheers Derek
Thread: 2 piece collet ?
24/05/2011 22:32:19
Hi James

Check you message box Cheers Derek
24/05/2011 22:01:20
Hi James
Sorry i have no idea how you would go about that job. However! the collets look like old style Sykes-Pickavant brake flairing collets, and a quick search on ebay, or a wanted ad on here or home-workshop site may just save you some unnecessary work.
Cheers Derek
P.S. send me a PM with dimensions and i may be able to help.
Thread: Sieg Super X3 advice needed!
24/05/2011 12:43:03
mgj. you are right about the machine, I was being a bit fatuous. With a cheap DRO fitted i recently drilled over 1500 holes 2mm dia on 3mm centres in 1.5mm brass.
Had them checked in the standards dept of a local world class manufacturer, and all were correct to + or - 0.01 mm, and that will do for me

Cheers Derek
24/05/2011 10:00:04
I can never understand why anyone would,when buying a machine for hobby use would want to pay to have the thing stripped down, cleaned, and deburred by someone else.
What better way to find out all about the thing, than to D.I.Y. My feeling is that if you are not capable of doing this, then how are you going to make anything worthwhile with the thing.
For what it may be worth to you Nic, I recently bought a Chester Champion 20V and am very happy with it..( It is about the same size as the X3 ) I did strip and clean it, and it needed the minimum amount of ajustment to start producing decent work.
Having said that, unlike some folk who use this site, I am quite happy to work to a few thou, and do'nt seek to work to half an electron

Cheers Derek

P.S. I have no connection to Chester UK
Thread: Why so few profiles?
22/05/2011 15:43:49
I agree with Les Jones 1, that an approx. location is very helpfull. A few weeks ago i got in touch with a chap who only lives 1/2 mile away, and the contact has been of benifit to us both so far. How did i contact this chap? through a USA model engineer website!!!!!
Thread: That's better!
22/05/2011 11:15:01
My big problem is, because i am short sighted and wear specs for getting around, i have to take them of for reading and close up work. Result is put specs down to read or do fiddley bits then have to go and shout wife to help find them, and that is in a tidy workshop. They would be lost for ever if it were not.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest