By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Could be good news for scrapyards etc
10/09/2012 15:24:51

About time to ! I am all for things being as safe as posible, but i think the whole thing went much to far. A ballroom near Manchester had a nice polished new dance floor fitted,and a week later the H.A.S. men came round and ordered it to sprayed with an anti slip coating !!!!!!!! brain dead or what ?

There has never been a problem with H.A.S. at our local scrapyard. I just drive in on my mobility scooter, plonk my scrap on the scales, collect my cash,then have a good look round for any usefull bits. NO hard hats, no high vis coats, just everyone looking what they are doing. Simple realy !

Cheers Derek

Thread: Strange Engine?
30/08/2012 09:02:43

Could the block/piston have started life as a clutch/brake cylinder ????

Dek

Thread: New ER25 collet blocks
25/07/2012 16:54:52

I have no connection with Arc Euro, but i know lots of folk on here wanted ER25 collet blocks, they have just been listed on the Arc Euro site.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Visit to London
13/07/2012 20:50:21

HI John & Maurice. Did you check the date at the start of this thread ? I think Mark may have been and gone by now !!!!

Cheers Derek

Thread: Staying loged in between visits
12/07/2012 20:16:31

I think it may be you have to agree to axcept these cookie thingys if you want to stay logged in ???

Cheers Derek

Thread: Milling machine for making putters
03/07/2012 12:53:51

Hi Tom

I have no idea what Clarke are like for after sales service,but if you have been looking at their machines in machine mart, i think they are a bit expensive. The one you mentioned is, i think known as a seig X1, and is sold by just about all the traders mentioned on this site, all of them are known to give fairly good after sales service. I have a X1 bought from Axminster tools many years ago, and for small jobs it has been fine. I know nothing about golf, so i have no idea what material you would be using, but if it will be brass or ally you should have no problems. With steel ,things could take quite a while, as you would have to take very light cuts. There are many more guys on here that are much more knowledgeable than me, who will no doubt give you better advise, but please shop around, as you will also need to spend about half as much again on tooling.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Uses for old hard drive platters?
23/06/2012 21:13:09

I have just put some photos in my album,showing some discs,and some of the things i have made with them. The ornament earned me a few brownie points. I hope they may give you all some ideas for using them.

Cheers Derek

Thread: New "must see" technology
17/06/2012 18:55:47

3D is a waste of time for me, as i only have one eye that works. I judge distance by how big or small somthing is. This has worked for me for close on 72 years so far, but 3D ! ! !

Cheers Derek

Thread: Uses for old hard drive platters?
06/06/2012 22:41:12

Having made a prize winning "rocker cover racer"last year,(see my avatar and album) I have been asked to make many more for other folk. Enter my 12" high stack of hard drive discs,and large collection of bearings from same. As the wheels must not have any metal in contact with the track, I use the hard drive discs to strenthen thin plastic discs. One thing i must warn you all that the smaller discs from laptop hard drives are often made from glass,so not a good idea to throw them into the melting pot. Ian, once i got part way down the pile, quite a lot were 'wrung' togther.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Open Source models
12/05/2012 15:43:27

Interesting that the only things sujested so far are steam power or IC engines. This may come as a suprise to most members, but there are other things to make models of.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Where to get anodised extrusion and sheet?
10/05/2012 16:58:34

Hi Ian

What sort of thickness and size do you need ? I have some small pieces of anodised. and a few sheets of very thin stuff as used for printing, This stuff has some sort of blue finish on one side. The printing stuff is brand new,and was sent to the scrapyard by mistake,but as the edges were damaged in transit it became scrap anyway so stayed there for me to rescue.

Thread: Plastic box seller
07/05/2012 08:21:18

BB engineering also have an ebay shop at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BB-ENGINEERING-SUPPLIES

Hope this helps. Cheers Derek

Thread: How ho I form this
30/04/2012 21:08:06

Hi Bob

The way i allways do such a shape, is first put two right angle bends in the bar,so you have a "u" shape, then with a piece of bar a bit smaller than the inside rad you require,place the flat bottom of the "u" against the bar and pull the sides down to the required shape. If you use a piece of bar the same size as the inside rad, it will no doubt give you too big an inside rad. It takes a bit of practice to work out just where to put the right angle bends for a particular size of rod, but once you have done it a few times it becomes easy. Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Using a lathe
19/04/2012 20:45:39

Blimey Baz, only just holding on by the fingertips eh?

Cheers Derek

19/04/2012 20:15:20

Hi Bob

No offence intended. I guess i would be p**s'd of if any of my decent work had been used,but i do'nt mind you using the silly stuff as above. I have seen my mates work lifted of another website and claims that it was made in china,so i only ever post pics that dont matter. I still stand by my remarks about the south, allthough i was mainly referring to Londeners,who allways expect the world to go to them.EG look at all the shouting about the Beeb move to Salford. I chose the name magpie,because over the years i have collected a vast amount of what my wife calls junk, Bloody cheek! it's all good stuff i tell you.wink 2

Cheers Derek.thumbs up      P.S.  The things in the pics have been made from that "junk"

Edited By magpie on 19/04/2012 20:17:23

17/04/2012 09:32:00

Hi Bob

There might be a clue to where Ron comes from in the bit of his post that says "I live in Manchester". For all those who think the edge of the world is just north of watford, Manchester is a large city, about 180 miles north west of that horrid home of the bankers.<--- Not sure if the first letter of that last word is the right one though!!!

Cheers Derek face 1

Thread: Simpson and Shipton Running (just)
15/04/2012 12:57:16

Another nice one Stew, still convinced you NEVER sleepthumbs up.

Cheers Dek

Thread: Anyone fancy placing a bid
10/04/2012 22:15:49

WOW that was not a hobby, that was an obsession.

Derek

Thread: How do I begin with no knowlegde of machining
09/04/2012 17:22:13

Hi Neil

I would agree with Jeff (above) with regards welding ally. As an ex Rolls Royce coachbuilder i have spent a big part of my life welding ally, and it takes a fair while to learn,but even with the practice i have had over the years, i would NOT weld a fuel tank. I have seen far too many go bang, even when the were thought to be well cleaned out.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Rocker cover racing
04/04/2012 18:55:45

I have added two more photos that show the workings of the robot car, for anyone who may be interested.

Cheers Dek

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest