By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 10:07:20

yes

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
10/05/2020 10:04:40

My fly cutter. I get a really great finish with this one. 100_0823 (small).jpg

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 09:54:13

I have a set of metric taper reamers and at the time of buying them I wondered what the difference was between metric and imperial. Unless the angle of taper is different, I would have thought that a set of one type would in most cases do for both types. EG a quarter inch one would do for six mil taper, just go steady and not go too far in with the reamer.

Thread: Centre finding
24/04/2020 10:08:12

Cliff, you don't mention what size holes you are drilling. I have, in the past, found that small drills will 'wander' if not guided by a centre punched workpiece. Small standard length drills are the most prone to do this, so try the double ended short series drills if you don't want to centre punch.

Dek.

Thread: SM2502 column tilt and fly cutter
19/04/2020 14:59:46

I could never get a good finish with grinding my own fly cutters, so one day I thought I would try this lathe tool instead. It worked a treat and I never use any other now. 100_0821 (small).jpg

Thread: Conundrum
10/04/2020 18:45:11

Remove the centre screw and replace with a slide hammer shaft.

Thread: What am i going to make with this scrap
10/04/2020 12:24:44

Apart from the electrics, I made this entirely from scrap.The finished clock.

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
07/04/2020 22:48:38

Mike Poole, Myford are owned by RDG and they are open for mail order.

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 08:30:37

Years ago the only way you could lose money was either be mugged, or burgled. Now, with credit and debit cards, and internet banking there are a score of ways you can get robbed. Cash is still king for me and I was always taught that if you want something save until you have enough money to buy it. I remember my old day saying 'we are getting just like the yanks, living on tick'. I don't think even he would have ever imagined the situation we have now where it is perfectly normal to live your life in debt.

The invention of all the current alternatives to cash are mostly for the benefit of the banks, rather than just making it more convenient for us. The ultimate aim being the abolition of all bank branches and the attendant staff.

They say information is power and in a cashless world information about everything you buy or sell will be available to those who seek to control.

Dek.

Thread: What are these for
06/04/2020 15:32:36

Could the 2 on the left be to clamp onto a sheet or strip of metal and hold a tube or rod in the 'V' whilst soldering or welding the two parts together ???

Thread: New Mill
03/04/2020 15:55:24

Good luck with your new machine Keith. I have had my 20V for about 7 years now, and the only problem I have had with it was the NVR switch gave up last year. A new one arrived the next day. I have done a few mods on it, but I am more than happy with it.

Dek.

Thread: Chester lathe as my new lathe anyone
01/04/2020 16:51:12

I have a Chester lathe and mill. I have had both for about 7 years and no problems. The main man there, who really knew what the job was all about, left about 5 years ago and after sales service went down hill fast. However I have heard that a few new blokes are now helping to improve things. An old friend had a Crusader lathe and had to have a new motor, they sent him one the next day and never asked for the old one to be returned. I hope this helps.

Dek.

Thread: Keeping busy
23/03/2020 16:46:14

As poor health limits my workshop time, I decided to start a project that can be split between the workshop and the house. Some of you may have seen a model spitfire advertised on TV that will cost £1200.00, and take 2 years to build. The TV model is very poorly animated using small plastic rods and as soon as my wife saw it, she said, I am sure you could do better than that. Gauntlet having been thrown down, I bought a plastic model kit that I can build in the house, and I can devise an animation mechanism and build it in the workshop when health permits.

Dek.

Thread: Could bigfoot be real?
21/03/2020 17:53:22

I know I had a bench in the shed once because a tiny bit of it is still there. I think a time lord is slowly dragging it into the past as I have hazy visions of long abandoned projects disappearing into the distance where the end should be.disgust

Dek

Thread: Help identifying workshop contents
06/03/2020 09:43:32

Alison, have a look at some of the tool suppliers with links on here, such as Arc Euro Trade, Warco, Etc. Items on their websites should help you identify all or most of your dads equipment and give you the cost of such items when new. Setting a price for your items will depend on condition, but once you know what they are Ebay should give you a fair idea of how to price them up. A great place to sell them would be the Homeworkshop site. I don't know how to post a link to that site, but I am sure someone on here could help with that. Sorry to hear of your loss, and good luck with clearing the tools.

Dek.

Thread: Evening!
02/03/2020 22:36:11

Hi Hi drew. I did a bit myself many years agoscan0013.jpg

Thread: Model paints.
25/02/2020 15:47:00

Thanks for the tip DaveD. The hand rest I made for soldering would not be easily adaptable for the job of putting together the spitfire. I suppose I am lucky that it is not a problem most of the time, but sod's law says it will strike when you least want it to.

Many years ago when I last made some plastic models, putting on the transfers in the right place was one of the hardest parts. I note that the cockpit transfers for the spitfire are very tiny and I can see those being great fun to fix.

Dek.

24/02/2020 22:53:17

We have a similar problem with the cold workshop Nigel, and being the wrong side of 79 I really do feel the cold.

Interesting to see the metal finish spitfire and it means if I get any comments about mine, then I can refer them to that one.

My biggest problem these days is that I sometimes get the shaky hands. Never a good condition when trying to do delicate work. Soldering fine wires was a problem until I made a small hand rest to keep my hands steady.

The iron would be describing a clockwise circle, while the solder an anti clockwise one, neither of them anywhere near the items to be soldered. Quite comical to watch though.smile o

Dek.

Thread: hi from from north wales
24/02/2020 16:54:42

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. I have a mate in North Wales who will soon be selling his lathe and milling machines when his new larger ones arrive. If you are interested I can ask him if it's ok to give you his name and address.

Dek.

Thread: Model paints.
24/02/2020 16:49:24

I must say that I am surprised to find so many plastic model fans on this site, and going back to my youth, such things did not exist. Small model planes were carved from blocks of balsa and the plans included templates to check if you were getting the right shape. I had lots of them hanging from my bedroom celling on bits of cotton. Getting back to the paint side of things, as the plane itself is not really the main object of my plan, I think I might just take Jeff Dayman's suggestion and go for the "strait out of the factory" look and just paint the plane in a mat silver.

Tug, you hit the nail on the head. Too many ideas, too little time.

Dek.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest