By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: which milling machine
04/11/2012 17:48:38

Allthough my mill was not from Ketan, just about everything else i have is from him. Allways first class service.

Cheers Derek.

03/11/2012 23:21:06

Hi Ron

Do'nt be too suprised if you do'nt get many answers because the same question has been asked lots of times resently. I am sure some of the members here will point you in at least 10 directions, however a very important thing to consider is that in addition to the milling machine itself you will need at the very least, a vice, cutters, clamps, and no doubt various other bits and pieces.all of which will cost a bob or two. Having said all that,go for the biggest one you can afford after taking in to account the cost of the other things you will need. If you are buying new (rather than used), then i would buy from the dealer nearest to where you live. Reason being is that most new machines are similar and it is allways easier to go back with any problems you may have if the firm you buy from is just down the road. Just my 2p's worth.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Please tell me what this 'cog' is called!
29/10/2012 20:59:31

I think the type of cog you are talking about were used in early printers. I once dismantled lots of equipment from the local scrapyard and came across them quite often, allthough i seem to think most of them were about 30 to 40 mm dia.. Not seen any since then.

Cheers Derek

Thread: This Forum, my impression
25/10/2012 19:12:27

Often too many contradictory suggestions !!!!!

Cheers Derek

Thread: Sheet metal cutting
22/10/2012 17:16:36

100_0773 (small).jpg
100_0770 (small).jpg
100_0769 (small).jpg

A jigsaw withe the right blade would have it done in no time. I have what they call a 6X4 bandsaw but that is no use for sheet stuff ,or awkward bits, so out comes the jigsaw. I often cut up to 1/2" steel plate ( very slowly), and i recently cut a piece of 1" thick ally with it as the pics below show. It's just a question of using the right blade for the job. Cutting the plate shown took around 10 minutes. The jigsaw is a 30 year old Elu.

Cheers Derek.

Opps!!! I forgot the pics were not in my album to transfer to here, i will load them now.

Edited By magpie on 22/10/2012 17:24:00

Edited By David Clark 1 on 23/10/2012 09:47:29

Edited By David Clark 1 on 23/10/2012 09:48:07

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
20/10/2012 23:03:18

Finished the motor assy for my fibre optic clock. I can post some pics tomorrow if there is any interest.

Cheers Derek

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
14/10/2012 21:09:50

You could allways raise steam by telling jokes on this forum.

Cheers Derek

Thread: Non de plumes
14/10/2012 15:32:03

Come on then Lambton, you started this thread, so tell us where you live !!!!!

Cheers Derek.

14/10/2012 10:48:22

I agree John. That's why i said at the start of this thread just give us a clue where you are from. I did not mean a full address, just a rough location, I.E. town ! county ! or even country.

Cheers Derek

12/10/2012 16:13:25

Why do most members of this forum not bother to give profile details ??? It is allways handy to know roughly where folk live for the purpose of swaping bits, buying and selling things Etc., I oftan see things for sale ,that i might like to buy , too heavy to post,only to find that the cost of travel would be far too much.

Cheers Derek. P.S. Nothing to hide myself !

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
10/10/2012 22:14:43

I bet they use 18V cordless hammers these days Clive.

Dek

10/10/2012 19:03:43

I vote for the 18V cordless hammer.( See hazard frought tools on Model engine maker website. )

Cheers Dek.

P.S. I do'nt know how to do links.!!!

Thread: Workshop Picture Thread
07/10/2012 19:41:39

Sorry about this folks, i have no idea what went wrong with the above. I have asked our nice head hitter to try to fix it. It has never done that to me before.

Sorry Derek !!!

07/10/2012 19:27:12

Multiformer & bandsaw.
Chinese mill (also no complaints so far )
Chinese lathe ( no complaints so far )
Small bench,& back of mill
Main workbench
Well here is another!! All the benches, the mill stand,and the multiformer stand are made from scrap from our local scrapyard. The micromill is now around 10 years old, and the main mill,and lathe are around 4years old. The workshop is 12ft X 16ft and was built in sections in the house and put together in a long weekend 27 years ago ( yes i do have a very understanding wife). The brass bits on the main bench (if you can see them) are parts of the fibre optic clock i am building, The wood saw on the small bench, the base of which is on the mill table, belongs to "men in sheds" and is undergoing repair.

Edited By David Clark 1 on 07/10/2012 20:08:05

Edited By David Clark 1 on 07/10/2012 20:08:49

Thread: Indexable fly cutter
30/09/2012 22:26:57

Sid, I think Ian has answered your question better than i could. As i got toward the tip of the pyramid, there was a lot more interrupt than cut, and after cutting 8 of those faces , the tip was still fine.

Cheers Derek. Ian please check your PM's

30/09/2012 15:02:08

Thank you Neil, And Michael. I have no idea how many fresh edges,but i would think quite a few, if you were only taking small cuts. I have been using a 12mm shank tool on the lathe, that takes the same tips for a few years now,and i still have 8 tips left from a box of ten. 90% of stuff i do is brass or ally so not too hard on tools. When milling the pyramids, i faced up around 20 square inches of brass with no discernable wear on the tip, when checked with a X10 loupe.

Cheers Derek

29/09/2012 19:56:09

100_0823 (small).jpgHi folks. this is somthing that someone has no doubt done allready but here goes anyway. Fed up with trying to grind a nice slight radius on my HSS fly cutters, i thought i would give this a try. I bought a 6mm profile lathe tool and used it in place of the HSS tool, and ,suprise,suprise it worked great. I was taking 0.5mm cuts at 600rpm no problem ( on brass, yet to try on steel ) Moderate feed rate by hand (no power Xfeed ),and a very quick rub on a sheet of 380 grit paper removed all milling marks.

Cheers Derek100_0821 (small).jpg

Thread: Gear cutting by machine and hand
24/09/2012 22:36:52

Here we go again! Another post half covered by Ad's. Sorry about that rant Jon, the gear looks good

for a hand cut job. I once cut a 2 1/2" ratchet wheel 60 teeth, with a piercing saw and file.

I cut such things on my mill nowadays.

Cheers Derek

Edit.  I tried to make each line short, but first line still too long ( missing word is good)

Edited By magpie on 24/09/2012 22:41:48

Thread: Rusted, Busted and Worn Out
24/09/2012 17:26:19

WOW! WOW! looks like they could use about a dozen Fred Dibnahs, on loan for the next 20-30 years. Question is, is there enough intrest in the US for this kind of restoration project? A container full of wire brushes, and a tanker full of elbow grease, and that would just be for starters.

Thread: Rocker cover racing
13/09/2012 21:27:43

Hi Folks. Just a quick post to let anyone intersted know that rocker cover racers will all be racing at the classic car meet at the "Elephant" pub, newcastle Rd., Shavington, post code CW2 5DZ. on sunday 16th september 2012. So if you have nothing better to do pop over and say hello and have a good laugh with us.

Cheers Derek. P.S. i will be the scruffy one with the hairy face.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest