By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
20/06/2019 19:54:06

I would love to go and enter my Fibre optic clock, but ill health and lack of finance make it a no go.

Thread: Holding tube for soldering.
04/06/2019 09:39:27

Tin lead Ian, which is why I was not too bothered about loosing a lot of heat. With the bit to be soldered over the centre hole of the table, it only took a few seconds to get hot enough.

02/06/2019 13:02:58

With you on the heat sink problem gents, but as the tube was 5mm thin wall, and the strip was 10mm by 2mm I thought the small pen type gas torch would very quickly get the parts hot enough I didn't bother with a fire brick. Ian, I did spend some time contemplating making a jig but I thought that that would take as long as making the item it's self.

Cheers Dek.

02/06/2019 09:57:09

I recently had to solder a thin wall brass tube to a strip of brass, and wondered how I was going to hold it at right angles to the strip. After much pondering, I came up with this idea and it worked a treat. The ME site insisted on turning the photo 90 degrees for some reason. 100_2127.jpg

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 04/06/2019 16:11:59

Thread: Brede Pumping Station
30/05/2019 22:24:06

On the subject of photos on here, is there any limit to the size ?

Thread: stamford show vandals
19/05/2019 17:09:01

Only when the parents of these mindless thugs are made to pay for every last penny of the damage, and all of them are named and shamed will we start to see any change. This needs to be done for all such acts before parents everywhere start to teach their offspring respect for other peoples property. No release on bail, bread and water until they are sent to gaol.

Dek.

Thread: North West 200 coverage
14/05/2019 09:29:10

Just the opposite to Chris, I had no idea what it was all about. I have managed to do 78 circuits of the sun without ever wanting to own a motorbike.

Thread: NME&MEX Doncaster
11/05/2019 09:18:23

I will be going on Sunday, but looking at the comments about the trade stands, it looks like my shopping list will not be fulfilled.

Thread: Homeworkshop login problem
25/04/2019 15:03:32

I had the same problem as Cornish Jack and I now know why the site didn't recognise my user name or password. I gave up trying when I read that the forums had been removed, but I was still permitted to advertise.

Edited bit. I have been out of action on all the forums for quite a while due to a long illness, but it's good to be back.

Edited By magpie on 25/04/2019 15:05:16

Thread: No volt switch
17/04/2019 21:37:01

I have the same problem with the same switch, KDJ17B. I have one on order so just fed up of waiting for it to arrive.

Thread: No volt realese switches.
13/04/2019 15:20:14

Thanks for the info John, and Robert. I have ordered a CK21.

13/04/2019 07:56:03

I wonder if anyone could tell me if there is any difference between a KJD17B switch and a CK21 switch. They both look identical, but there are lots of CK21 available but very few of the KJD17B. I ordered the latter from Ebay and was sent a refund because the seller didn't have one. My mill is out of action in the meantime and I could do with getting a new one quickly.

Thread: Chinese 7x10 lathe
30/03/2019 17:06:20

I am a volunteer at Crewe Men in Sheds whose job it is to keep an eye on new chaps, and help them to learn new skills. Some years ago the shed bought a mini lathe from Arc Euro for the blokes to learn metal turning, it's mostly woodwork at the shed. The lathe has had the kind of treatment that would make a skilled toolmaker weep, but to my great surprise it is still in good working order and more than capable of turning out good work by the less "ham fisted" members of the shed.

Dek.

Thread: Battery Lifespan
05/04/2018 12:05:30

In an early version of my Electro-Mechanical Fibre optic Clock, I also intended to use solenoids to operate the cylinders. However, I found them to be rather inefficient and abandoned that idea in favour of ratchet wheels and cams to operate the main cylinders. The drive on the final version of my clock is a synchronous motor which has worked very well for a number of years now, and it keeps perfect time. A series of post about it can be found in the clock section, at the top of page 6. It may give you a few ideas. Good luck with your project.

Edited By magpie on 05/04/2018 12:09:51

Thread: Trouble at mill
21/03/2016 11:14:00

I totally agree with Nick-G. One of the reasons I seldom use this forum is my inability to compete with all the "perfect" people that inhabit the site.

Thread: BBC 2 - Looking for Backyard Engineers
24/11/2015 11:09:48

Maybe nobody has bothered to look at the link. I am not very clued up on TV companies but the programme is being made by RDF television for the BBC. I have no idea who they are but it would seem to me that they will just have been told by the BBC make us a program about so and so, and let the get on with it.

Thread: Pete Waterman Collection being sold
08/05/2015 21:33:51

He is selling to finance apprenticeships.

Cheers Derek.

Thread: Anyone been to the Harrogate show yet ?
08/05/2015 21:31:52

Some of us are meeting up for a natter by the big window (opposite the main entrance) at noon on Saturday. Always nice to put faces to names so if you fancy taking a break from spending I will see you there.

Cheers Derek.

Thread: Harrogate Exhibition
07/05/2015 08:24:31

Thanks for that John, but I think 'bogs' may be able to sort my end mills out for me. I will come and say hello on Saturday anyway as there are six of us from Crewe Men in Sheds going. Anyone else fancy a natter there are some of us 'mad modders' meeting by the big window (opposite the main entrance) at 12 noon so I hope to see a few of you there.

Cheers Derek.

Thread: Advice on lathe purchase
20/04/2015 11:39:50

Hi and welcome Martin. The chap to look out for on here is "bogstandard" he has a Crusader, and what he doesn't know about the thing is not worth knowing.

Cheers Derek.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest