By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for magpie

Here is a list of all the postings magpie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting brass with saw questions
03/07/2020 10:08:49

In the vidios Bob posted, the saw in use is not a piercing saw but an Eclipse fretsaw and the table is Hobbies Ltd top of the range cutting table. I still have both of those that I bought in the early 50s. Just saying. sad

Dek.

Thread: The cost of cheap (Free) materials
22/06/2020 22:53:29

I agree with everything you have said there Bob. If I had to buy any of the brass for my fibre optic clock from the normal dealers it would never have got built. Every last bit of brass was from my local scrapyard, and some of it was in large lumps that would have cost a fortune. The only things new on the clock were the electrics.

Dek.

Thread: Bar top "copper". What is it?
19/06/2020 14:49:38

I was given an old table with what looked like a hammered copper top. It turned out to be copper plated fibre glass.

Thread: DYMO labels [safe removal] ... what method ?
19/06/2020 14:44:28

Soak in WD40, the use an old credit card to scrape them off.

Dek.

Thread: Evening all
08/06/2020 10:24:15

Welcome from a South Cheshire bloke. I have a ME mate in Wales who used to make the same things as yourself, but these days he makes novelty torches to sell in the USA.

Cheers, Dek.

Thread: Are there any published Torque settings for BA
01/06/2020 16:35:05

Small torque screwdrivers are available for use with quarter drive sockets. I have two that were given to me many years ago. They were brand new still in the boxes and made in the USA. I have never needed to use them.

Dek.

Thread: Hello from West Sussex, looking for ID for my first lathe
01/06/2020 16:29:14

RDG tools give good service, but not so hot on quality with some items.

Dek

Thread: A polite note to beginners from ARC
20/05/2020 15:58:08

I have been a customer of ArcEuro for many years and never once have I had reason to complain. Some years ago I told Ketan that a particular order was for a group of 'Men in Sheds', knowing just what the movement was all about, Ketan gave us a generous discount on two lathes and some free tooling. I really don't imagine any of his competitors offering the same when it wasn't even asked for. THANKS KETAN, you are a star.

Dek.

Thread: Look what I Found
18/05/2020 16:29:50

I still have two of those, why ? I really don't know. blush

Thread: Needle File Recommendations?
13/05/2020 14:52:51

A shame you can no longer get Stubbs files. I have a set of their needle files I bought in the early 70s. They have been used at least once a week since and are still in good shape.

Thread: lathe and other modeling equipment
11/05/2020 16:31:22

It would no doubt help Angela if someone could suggest reasonable values for the items she has shown here. Sad to say that I don't have a clue so am unable to help the lady. Hi Angela. (a bit late frown), another good place to sell such items would be the HOMEWORKSHOP site. I don't know how to put a link on here but I am sure some other member could do that for you.

Regards, Dek.

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
11/05/2020 16:18:55
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/05/2020 14:19:38:

Posted by magpie on 11/05/2020 08:58:24:

Sorry if I misled folks. After I finished cutting, I laid a sheet of 400 grit on a piece of glass and dragged the items once over the length of the sheet, that was all that was needed to remove the cutting marks.

smileyesIt’s fine. Dek. ... I was only having a bit of fun.

MichaelG.

11/05/2020 08:58:24

Posted by magpie on 10/05/2020 10:04:40:

My fly cutter. I get a really great finish with this one. 100_0823 (small).jpgSorry if I misled folks. After I finished cutting, I laid a sheet of 400 grit on a piece of glass and dragged the items once over the length of the sheet, that was all that was needed to remove the cutting marks.

Obviously RPM and feed rates will affect the finish, but being a complete novice I usually try new ideas on a bit of scrap first in order to find what gives me the best results. I thought of using this tool because I am not too good at grinding HSS tooling and a good friend had recommended a fair radius for fly cutting. The parts shown were for my fibre optic clock, the subject of a build thread in the clock section.

Dek.

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 10:07:20

yes

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
10/05/2020 10:04:40

My fly cutter. I get a really great finish with this one. 100_0823 (small).jpg

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 09:54:13

I have a set of metric taper reamers and at the time of buying them I wondered what the difference was between metric and imperial. Unless the angle of taper is different, I would have thought that a set of one type would in most cases do for both types. EG a quarter inch one would do for six mil taper, just go steady and not go too far in with the reamer.

Thread: Centre finding
24/04/2020 10:08:12

Cliff, you don't mention what size holes you are drilling. I have, in the past, found that small drills will 'wander' if not guided by a centre punched workpiece. Small standard length drills are the most prone to do this, so try the double ended short series drills if you don't want to centre punch.

Dek.

Thread: SM2502 column tilt and fly cutter
19/04/2020 14:59:46

I could never get a good finish with grinding my own fly cutters, so one day I thought I would try this lathe tool instead. It worked a treat and I never use any other now. 100_0821 (small).jpg

Thread: Conundrum
10/04/2020 18:45:11

Remove the centre screw and replace with a slide hammer shaft.

Thread: What am i going to make with this scrap
10/04/2020 12:24:44

Apart from the electrics, I made this entirely from scrap.The finished clock.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest