By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Les Jones 1

Here is a list of all the postings Les Jones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Perfecto shaper
14/12/2009 22:21:26
Hi Bill,
              The diagrams are what you need to attach to your post. (Or the exact model number of the switch so the person helping can look at these diagrams on the manufacturers website.) Is the switch a three position switch of the style forward, stop, reverse or is it just a two position switch that will be used in conjunction with a separate on / off switch ? There must be more than the four connections you mentioned (L1, L2. L3 and N) I suspect that there will be 12 connections (But there may only be 8) If you cannot attach these diagrams can you meter out the continuity between all the connections of the switch in its three (or two) positions to create a "truth table" for the switch. I tried to look for the data on the motor on the Hemingway website bit it is only available by buying the book.  Does the motor have an up to speed switch which disconnects the start winding when the motor is up to speed or is the start winding connected all the time via the start capacitor ? (This would be clear if you could attach the wiring diagram of the motor with the reversing switch supplied by Hemingway.)
Les.
14/12/2009 20:11:41
Hi Bill,
             I think you will need to attach the information on the motor and the switch to your next post for anyone to be able to help you with the motor problem.
Les.
Thread: Iron Castings
14/12/2009 15:48:58
Hi John,
                  There is a chap near Epsom who does metal casting as a hobby. He has a website so you could email him to see if he would be prepared to do the castings for you.
This is his website.   The Artful Bodger
According to "Autoroute" it is about 45 miles away from you so it may be too far.
I bought his book on building a furnace which is how I know about him.
I hope this helps.  Les.
Thread: small carburettors
10/12/2009 20:20:14
Hi Steve,
                 The only thing I can think of that would cause your problem is if the hole the needle goes into is too big. If you think of it as a piston it will produce a downward  force which would be the pressure of the petrol times the cross sectional area of the hole. If this force is greater than the than the upward force from the float then the valve will not seal.
There will be a lower limit to the size of this hole dictated by the required fuel flow.  Making the float lighter (If that is possible.) may improve the situation.
Les.
Thread: Gear wheels
04/12/2009 20:51:51
Hi again,
                  I found the pictures of these slip rolls. They are on a you tube video about 3.5 minutes from the start . It does look like both ends are linked. Here is the url
http://www.youtube.com/user/myfordboy#p/u/5/m_-iPpEuWRA
Les.
04/12/2009 20:33:58
Hi Bill,
              I recently saw a picture on the web of some home made slip rolls that used a crank to link the rollers. (Like between the wheels of  a steam locomotive. ) At first I thought it was a good idea but then thought that when the cranks and connecting links were in line it would not work well. Later I thought that if the other ends of the rolls were linked in the same way but with these cranks set 90 degrees from the first set it would solve the problem. I can not remember where on the web I saw the picture.
Something to think about.
Les.
Thread: failing spark plugs
19/11/2009 20:34:32
Hi Steve,
                 If the problem is caused by the plug and not the previous suggestions then I think oil is getting past the rings into the cylinder or the mixture is very rich. Is the plug black with a carbon build up? If it has a layer of carbon on the insulator this will short out the spark. If the mixture is correct the plug should be brown in colour. Black indicates a rich mixture, grey indicates a weak mixture. Try sandblasting one of the failing plugs to remove any carbon build up and see if it then works.
Les.
Thread: Cutting male threads
13/11/2009 09:51:01
Hi ???,
               You are correct that a 10 mm thread will be cut on a 10 mm bar.
Here is a link to BA thread dimensions.
I Googled "ba thread dimensions" to get this.
Les.

Thread: Boiler making hearth
08/11/2009 09:31:03
Hi Tony,
                 Here is another possibility 
They have insulating fire bricks and high temperature insulating blanket. The problem buying this sort of thing mail order is the cost of postage. I plan to use them for materials to make a small furnace for melting brass and aluminium. I will be able to collect from them as they are only about 15 miles away from me. (They are in Liverpool)
Les.
Thread: ELECTRONICS
05/10/2009 18:37:31
Hi Wychwar,
                        I have put a design for a four digit tachometer that uses one pulse per revolution on the "Yahoo X_Series _Mills forum" in the file section.
It works by measuring the time  of one or more revolutions and calculating the speed from that. At slow very slow speeds it only times one revolution. (So the display is updated at a reasonable rate.) At higher speeds it times a number of revolutions to average out the speed over about a one second period.
I hope this will meet your reqirements.
Les.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest