By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help identify collet type
09/04/2022 17:05:56

Or Posilok...

Thread: Microsoft Edge is overriding Google Chrome
09/04/2022 17:05:07

Open Chrome, and look for a vertical row of 3 dots at the top right. Click on these and select Settings from the drop-down. Now at the left under the Settings title 6 items down is Default Browser. Clock on that and follow the instructions.

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
09/04/2022 10:11:58

Please could we BAN any further discussion about metric v Imperial units. It's boring and wastes everyone's time.

Thread: Why dont we have end mill gear cutters ?
08/04/2022 09:34:11

Huub, I sent you a PM.

Thread: Polishing Brass
07/04/2022 10:04:58

Personally I hate highly polished brasswork on clocks. i see them as 3D moving sculptures, polish makes it very hard to see the details. There was a US clockmaker called Smith whose clocks have grained brass, and a recnt series on Clocks as Works of Art in HJ also described this. Much more appropriate I think.

Thread: Why dont we have end mill gear cutters ?
07/04/2022 07:57:13

Very good Huub! Any chance of an article please?

07/04/2022 07:57:10

Very good Huub! Any chance of an article please?

Thread: Best way to reduce a piece of 1/8"thk brass sheet to 3/32" thk.
06/04/2022 17:50:34

I would have done it on the CNC mill. Usual procedure for me is to put blue masking tape on each surface then superglue them together - the tape makes it easier to remove and takes the glue with it. However it might be more secure to glue metal to metal. A good tip to separate them is to boil in water for a few minutes.

Thread: CAD & CAM content
06/04/2022 10:19:28

In my experience one can do most of what is needed using CAD/CAM and the controller wizards. Some explanation of how to use these probably would be useful as an intro for newcomers especially if not too biased to one particular solution.

Where I think a more "basic" approach is useful to extend these is when tackling jobs not easily done using CAD/CAM. Examples from my own experience are making mathematically defined profiles such as cams (an example being an equation of time cam) or cycloidal gears as most CAD systems might stretch to involutes but not cycloidal. Even in these cases CAM may be used to actually convert the shape to g-code.

Though I have a manual lathe (a Unimat 3) it doesn't get used, most of my turning is done on the CNC'd Myford using the wizards and the MDI (a way to input single line g-code statements). Looking at Dave's example this could be programmed using the wizard and cut probably in less time than it takes to do manually.

Thread: MEW, ME, RCM&E and Model Boats under new ownership.
04/04/2022 14:02:16

Do they operate any online fora like this? Maybe we might see some improvements to bring it up to date.

Thread: Determining/measuring sub-micron displacement
04/04/2022 10:02:28

Could be worth looking at the various Renishaw patents to see how they solved this problem. (I assume that you don't intend to make and sell these probes!)

I'm inspired by your work to evaluate my own electrical contact-sensing probes.

Thread: Gear cutting basics help needed.
04/04/2022 07:31:13

Actually, the straight dedenda of both pinions and wheels are the only part of the so-called cycloidal tooth forms that actually are parts of hypocycloids! The addenda curves are circles or segments of circles.

If you use Mike Cox's spreadsheet for designing button cutters it's relatively easy to find non standard pressure angles that permit small tooth counts without undercut.

Thread: Determining/measuring sub-micron displacement
03/04/2022 21:14:38

Sounds like you have cracked the measurement problem Joe. A very interesting design, how do you cope with over travel? The original Renishaw tri-bar design is pretty robust, but am I right that the probe is solidly attached to the piezo disc?

Thread: Gear cutting basics help needed.
03/04/2022 20:37:08

Oh, and you'll need to make some arbors to mount the gear blanks on too.

03/04/2022 20:36:30

As you mention R8 I assume you have R8 collets. No need to buy an arbor (note spelling), you can make your own. Start with say 12mm steel, turn down a length to 10mm, stepping down to 7mm for the cutter, either with an M6 threaded portion for a clamp nut or an M6 threaded hole for a clamp bolt. Make sure the 10mm and 7mm parts are to accurate size and turned without removing from the chuck. Part off from the parent stock, mount in an R8 10mm collet. I'm sure you can work out the lengths.

Thread: Questions on an MLA inspired toolpost
03/04/2022 14:40:53

Aha! Thanks for that explanation.

03/04/2022 11:41:03

So do I understand correctly - the central post is tapered, and the split sleeve around it, so when you force the sleeve down with the clamp screw it expands the dovetail into the tool holder? Doesn't that make tool height setting a bit variable?

Thread: Cutting Carbon Fibre
03/04/2022 09:39:30

I hold the tube in a collet in the lathe and use a pointed tool at low speed to nick through far enough to get a clean break. Square off with fine abrasive paper. Araldite + ali tube or rod to reinforce will be fine. Need the metal to be a nice fit in the CF tube. My 7kg clock bob has been hanging off an 8mm aluminium slug araldited into 10mm OD 8mm IS CF tube for over 3 years with no sign of coming adrift.  Gluing in a slug also holds any longitudinal cracks together.

Edited By John Haine on 03/04/2022 09:41:02

Thread: Questions on an MLA inspired toolpost
03/04/2022 08:51:21

I think a dowel to fix the angular position is essential. A right pain to have to dial in a parting tool, and you will be surprised at how much the post can shift over time with cutting forces.

Thread: The ettiquette of sharing designs
02/04/2022 15:39:40

It's worth looking at the gov.uk site on copyright. Though the drawing of an item automatically has copyrights (in the UK) it isn't clear that an object made to the drawing does since the object may lie outside the class of things which are covered by copyright. The drawing of a toolpost is not a toolpost.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest