By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: C section plastic extrusion
06/07/2019 08:50:33

**LINK**

Thread: Microns ...
05/07/2019 13:47:15

Resolution, precision, accuracy...

From Michael's photo and the context, this is a controller for a microscope focuser. I can well imagine that at very high magnification it would be necessary to move the lens very precisely, for example to focus on various layers of the object. By having calibrated Z you could estimate the distance between layers. Absolute accuracy will not be crucial; small, repeatable, precise movements will be; good resolution critical. Somewhere it says this is a piezo positioner - make small movements by changing the volts across a ceramic element probably.

With regard to the decimal point delimiter, though the "continental" system still uses that in principle anything made for a world market will probably use a full-stop.

Thread: Cutting a Mod 1 worm
05/07/2019 12:00:41

The question is, to what accuracy do you need to make an approximation to trigger the find-it fairy?

04/07/2019 22:10:55

Depending on the diameter of the gear, the worm will only drive a couple of teeth, so I doubt the error would be significant. You could consider choosing a ratio that is a bit smaller than 3.1415 mm, but cant the worm to an angle that makes the thread fit the teeth better?

Thread: Cast iron - 160mm dia
04/07/2019 13:06:21

These people do laser cutting and say they can do up to 30mm. Normal structural steel would be fine I'd think.

Thread: Source of plastic rod
04/07/2019 12:58:46

If you don't mind turning it round first, I think lots of people sell square Corian blanks on the Bay.

Thread: Internal collets
04/07/2019 09:39:29

I wonder if one could use MT tapers? Could form the "collet" bore with an MT reamer, and use an off the shelf arbor for the "chuck".

03/07/2019 14:57:36

Somewhere I have seen what you describe, either home-made or as a product, afraid I can't remember where.

Aha!  Our friendly universal supplier.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Expanding-Mandrels/Straight-Shank-Expanding-Mandrels-Tap-On-Tap-Off-

Edited By John Haine on 03/07/2019 14:58:34

Thread: Sieg KX1 next step
03/07/2019 09:56:06

Look for FSWizard app for phones tablets and PC

Thread: Multi faceted drill bits - really necessary?
03/07/2019 07:29:07

Posted by Howard Lewis on 29/06/2019 10:34:10:

Of course, using a cutter grinder is the ideal way.

Not having one, would the Eccentric Engineering sharpening device provide such a fcailty? Iwners/Users comments?

Howard

It certainly would with an appropriate jig.img_0121.jpg

this is the end mill holder I made using an er16 collet chuck. Not obvious is that the top and bottom faces of the block are not parallel to give the two clearances. Might need to make an alternative block for the drill angles but it's straightforward. Max drill size would be 10mm. I might give it a go.

Thread: Advice please
01/07/2019 10:01:22

Small Claims Court, assuming that it is possible considering your domicile. You would probably have to take action in the UK but I believe that may be possible on-line.

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
01/07/2019 09:16:08

It's worth noting that it is possible to get smaller ballscrews if you look around. I believe that the Myford lathe conversion kit from "cncyourmyford.com" for example uses an 8mm dia screw on the cross slide because the standard bore in the Xslide casting won't accommodate anything bigger. They are harder to find and more expensive but may save a lot of grief modifying castings. You will also need to make sure the screw is under tension to avoid it bowing.

Thread: Milling machine belts
30/06/2019 07:20:34

Why not use link belts? Adjust to size, end of problem, smoother drive.

Thread: Snail Problems
29/06/2019 17:02:28

According to a gardening programme on the tele, garlic water works.

Thread: Colchester Bantam lathe lead screw
27/06/2019 22:44:13
Posted by old mart on 27/06/2019 21:57:57:

I would expect a metric lathe to have a metric leadscrew...

You obviously don't have a Myford!

Thread: What to do,what to do.
27/06/2019 10:59:15

I agree, I can't see the point. The whole beauty of 4 jaw chucks is that you can accurately centre things, where you want the centre. If your 4-jaw SC chuck is not dead accurate it won't even centre square material! Personally I'd prioritise a collet chuck.

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 09:40:54

The reason for setting to accurate centre height for me is that if, for example, the tool is slightly low and is calibrated ("touched off" to a test bar of a given diameter, then it will give an error in the cut diameter of the work at different diameters. For manual machining this doesn't matter much as you tend to measure and cut as you go, but for CNC it does. My aim is to put a tool (in its holder) on the toolpost, tell Mach 3 the tool number, and then, having referenced the lathe, be able to tell the tool what diameter to cut and it just works.

Thread: Do you need one of these in your life?
27/06/2019 07:46:42

**LINK**

a very specific patent describing the detailed construction right in claim 1, so its scope will be very limited.  Many of us will have made magnetic swarf brushes working on the same principle and as Robert shows there are commercial versions around.   I made mine using a pot magnet in a 35mm film canister.

But full marks to them for carrying it through the process.

Edited By John Haine on 27/06/2019 07:51:00

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 07:13:53

I use a digital height gauge to measure the height, and very carefully set it to 3.5" for my Super 7, using Dickson tool holders. This is because I want each tool to be at the same height so my tool offset tables work consistently.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Top Slide Base - Alternatives?
25/06/2019 22:42:20

Who needs a top slide?

casting.jpg

toolpost3.jpg

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest