By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice for a mini milling machine
24/07/2019 07:11:53

An Aciera would be ideal as made for your application, but haven't been made for years and expensive to buy.

the X1 is an excellent cheap'n cheerful machine but would need bringing up to a better standard for your target accuracy, a lot of work and time with uncertain outcome.

overall probably the Cowells is the best bet for a new machine, again targeted at your application, but it ain't cheap at the thick end of £2500 new. Or the BCA.

Thread: Pendulum enquiry
23/07/2019 20:32:09

See...

Minimag

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Take your pick.

Thread: Why are CNC lathes more expensive than a CNC Mill
22/07/2019 12:15:54

Hmph.

Mach 3 actually does quite a good job of screwcutting with one pulse per rev, in my experience, provided you don't push the cutting depth too much. This is on my S7 with the standard motor at 215 rpm.

The old Denford Orac only had a 100 ppr encoder. You don't need direction as well because lathes generally only go one way and you will know which. You can use a quadrature pickup if you want to get double the pulse rate. but I don't know actually just how critical for example LinuxCNC is on rotational sampling rate. An alternative is a Hall Effect sensor on a gear wheel. So I don't think the spindle sensor is a critical cost element.

Once you have a source of spindle pulses the software takes care of everything, no additional electronics is needed.

I think the point about CNC being for multiple parts, made about both lathes and mills, is incorrect. Once you have a CNC lathe, you will use CNC for everything, all the simple jobs like turning, facing, tapers, curves, spheres, threading etc have wizards, you seldom have to write gcode, and of course once you're using cad/cam it generates the code directly.

It all comes down to supply & demand I think.

22/07/2019 08:08:31

And of course if you only have an occasional requirement you can turn in the mill by putting the stock in the collet chuck and clamping tool to the table!

22/07/2019 07:56:35

Lathe is technically simpler than mill, one less axis to control, but production volume is far smaller so costs have to be amortised over fewer sales. Worth looking at cncyourmyford for another approach. In industry CNC mills today do many of the jobs that would once have been done on a lathe. If you have a lathe why not convert that? I switched my Super 7 to CNC several years ago and don't miss the manual capability at all.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 18:36:33

First was an Amolco, made from an old head and a newer base (when they were available) - OK but not very rigid. Then inherited my father's Aciera F1 - a beautiful Swiss machine but rather worn and much too small. I sold that and invested the proceeds in a Myford VMB which gives good service. More recently bought a Denford Novamill for CNC which is also very nice though I had to make my own electronics package. Starting again I'd get a larger CNC mill.

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 18:31:38

Hobbymat, Warco 220, now a Super 7 - latter much the best but if buying again would probably go Chinese or a s/h Denford Orac (since have converted S7 to CNC).

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 21:04:30

We had solar panels installed last November, with one storage battery. Since the spring essentially all our daytime energy has been solar generated, and the battery keeps us going into the night as well with lights etc. So my daytime machine usage has an energy cost of zero. Recently I finally turned off the short mains water heating top-up at night on E7, it hasn't made any noticeable difference, so our hot water is free as well at least in the summer. Even last winter we generated enough solar energy to make quite a dent in our normal usage.

So the answer to the original question is to have widespread solar energy and battery storage to meet domestic needs.

As for climate change, my own observation over nearly 70 years is that severe winters are much less common; and since 1976 many summers have been unbearably hot at times even in the UK. When we moved here in East Anglia the area was incredibly wet, now we have had a drought essentially for at least 2 years. I wouldn't bet against climate change being real - if it is the consequences for our children will be catastrophic; if we manage to take the right actions to avert it we will have a much more sustainable future.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
17/07/2019 10:53:56
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/07/2019 09:30:59:
Posted by not done it yet on 17/07/2019 08:33:41:

... Do remember that half the population is below average intelligence levels.

That ^^^ is a questionable assertion ... So I will ask:

What evidence is available to show that the distribution of 'intelligence level' within the population is Gaussian ?

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
16/07/2019 11:08:05

There are things you can easily do with a CNC mill that are next to impossible manually. For example, for my current Synchronome-based clock project I have cut a pallet to a mathematically defined profile that gives a "raised cosine" impulse force waveform; and an equi-angular spiral cam. For both the coordinates were calculated and the g code generated in Excel.

Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
16/07/2019 08:46:42

The problem with the "static charge causes travel sickness" theory is, how do you know you are charged when inside a metallic object? On the other hand, there is a lot of evidence for the placebo effect where an intervention that is thought to be beneficial has an actual positive effect.

When sailing in rough weather, one finds that going below often causes nausea from the combination of seemingly random accelerations sensed by the ear without any corresponding visual input. This explains Sam's experience navigating around London.

I read somewhere that the navy experimented with an "artificial horizon", that projected a band of light on the wardroom walls that was kept truly horizontal with a gyro, so that one had a constant visual reference.

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
14/07/2019 07:51:27

QED.

13/07/2019 20:54:23

I assume (to repeat) it's there to avoid stress concentration.

12/07/2019 21:55:26

Do you mean the small radius? I think it's there to prevent a stress build up if the corner was sharp. I've got used to putting a bit of packing in under the work.

Thread: Forging brass; how easy would it be?
09/07/2019 22:18:43

You can search Google as well as I can, and it suggests that forging is a standard way of forming brass components.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Spindle Lock
09/07/2019 22:13:44

This was discussed here less than a month ago:

**LINK**

This site's "native" "search this site" facility is C***P but Neil has added a very useful Google box on the site's home page - took only a few seconds to find the link I just posted.

Thread: One Sided Fastener
07/07/2019 12:09:31

The mounting brackets for the "movable vehicle-activated signs" (a/k/a speed warnings) we use round our villages are fixed to speed limit sign posts using jubilee clips that have a 7-sided socket screw!

Thread: Microns ...
07/07/2019 12:06:07
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/07/2019 09:41:54:

That non-temperature-controlled apparatus thinks it can resolve 1nm repeatably enough to justify the scale's resolution? Delusional, surely.

So do they make it that way as a joke? It may well resolve to a nm, If it could do it repeatedly it would be precise to a nm, and if it could be calibrated (e.g. w.r.t. wavelength) it might be accurate to a nm. But for its probably purpose, making comparisons, it's probably fine.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
07/07/2019 07:23:36
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 06/07/2019 21:44:18:

Anyway,. today...

A little light garden trimming - I'm nor fit enough yet to risk pushing the mower around the, umm, lawn. Moved a few pebbles on the "beach" forming one end of the pond so some tadpoles behind them would not become stranded as the water slowly drops.

More work on the Worden Tool-grinder this afternoon. I'm trying to plan operations to minimise repeated machine-setting, so at the moment am concentrating on the turning to leave all the milling on the second-operation parts until I am ready to

Remembered I had bought an ER32 collet set for the Myford, partly to use with that lathe's chucks on the rotary-table.

Now, wouldn't you think factory making a collet-chuck and its spindle-nose adaptor, and heat-sealing them in respective halves of a thick-walled polythene bag, would ensure the registers match?

No doubt when made in Beeston they would match to within very tiddly bits of thous. These didn't. Oh my word no!

Unfortunately I'd bought these quite a while ago, I can't remember if at the trade-stand or mail-order, nor from whom. Possibly not the present incarnation of Myford, though possibly from the same People's Glorious Capstan-lathe. So returning them was not possible.

Luckily the male register was the oversize one - by TWO WHOLE MILLIMETRES - and on the spindle fitting. Had it been the other way round I'd have had no choice but to ring Myford to order the appropriate replacement, and stress the diameter needed.

Fortunately too, once it was on the lathe I could detect no appreciable run-out, and though the bush had a ground finish (albeit only to look pretty), nor was it hardened. With utmost care and using the finest self-acting feed and several spring-cuts with a sharp HSS tool, on a lathe whose parallelism, rigidity and feed-smoothness depend as much on the Auguries rising in Orion as they do on my Leo's chosen constellation, I succeeded in what should never have been necessary.

I half expected the holes for the three cap-head screws holding the two parts together, to be on different PCDs, but no, they weren't.

++

This isn't the first fun I have had with modern-day Myford-labelled accessories.

I was able to replace a new lead-screw hand-wheel that just would not fit - the driving slot was visibly so far off-centre it was obvious the factory had made no attempt to machine it properly. The register on the nose-piece I have for rotary-table work is rather too tight, too, but that's better than loose. Nor does it have even a plain hole down its axis.

Nigel, that's exactly how they are intended. They are supplied oversize so you can turn the register for concentricity on your lathe. The same with the er40 one I bought from the old Myford with instructions.

Thread: C section plastic extrusion
06/07/2019 08:50:33

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest